Other Dog Foods:

Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

nutrient-dense, grain-free dog food; terrific for allergic dogs

this food has been the best discovery ever for a dog with wheat and corn allergies. our 63-pound mixed breed -- described by our vets as having a "stocky disposition" -- was constantly hungry (yet gaining weight) on other foods with higher filler content. since we switched to this grain-free dry formula (previously called by the misnomer "raw instinct" and recently repackaged as "instinct rain-free"), he's satisfied by a half-cup (by volume) of kibble at each of his three meals per day (plus treats, of course) and is maintaining a healthy weight with ease.

to keep his chow time interesting and up the fiber and moisture content a bit, we mix this dry formula with a dollop or two of canned food per meal (currently -- and he'd be sure to tell you "enjoyably" -- eagle pack canned duck and oatmeal formula).

recommended by the owner of a small local specialty pet store, this food has delivered consistent quality from bag to bag and has been gentle on his sensitive stomach. (although it's terrific for grain-allergic canines, this food is chicken-based, so dogs who are allergic to that meat should pass on this variety.)

Top Five Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Pumpkinseeds, and Menhaden Fish Meal.

Also Contains: Added vitamins and minerals; digestive enzymes; chicken liver; various fruits and vegetables; freeze-dried turkey, turkey liver, and turkey hearts; salmon oil; and duck, pheasant, and quail eggs.

Calorie Content: 490 calories/cup

sidebar: we've also tried the frozen "raw instinct" nature's variety formula. our dog was extremely pleased with that selection. 8O)

Not so great

When I bought this food I was hoping that my dogs would enjoy it because it was supposed to be great for my dogs, but that was far from the reality of what happened when my dogs ate the food. I fed it to them a few times even though my dogs had no interest in it the first time, but I figured that they just hard to get used to the different food. I did end up going through an entire bag of the food, but each time the dogs are it they threw it back up which was upsetting because the food was more then I wanted to spend on food for my dogs, so needless to say, I have not repurchased this food since that first time.

Quality of Ingredients
When I read the ingredients they seemed to be great for the dogs, but I'm guessing the testers were wrong because whatever this food is made up of did not agree with my dogs. I think that either my dogs have sensitive stomachs, or that this product really just needs to be looked at again.

Not so great

Nature's Variety

Comments about Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free:

I was really impressed with Nature's Variety for introducing a dog food that is grain free. After reading several articles recently discussing how dog's digestive tracks are not really capable of properly breaking down and digesting grains, therefore it is not really in the dog's best health interests to feed them foods containing grain in the ingredients. For this reason I was of course very adamant in my resolve to go out and buy an entirely grain free product of dog food for my beloved dog. I chose Nature's Variety at the time because it coincided quite well for the age of my dog. Previously I had noted that my dog would quite often have stomach issues such as indigestion, upset stomach and occasionally diarrhea while he was frequently eating dry dog foods containing grain. After switching to the grain free it was only a matter of weeks before my dog was experiencing less and less problems with his stomach and having even fewer accidents in the house.

Yummy for my dog

Comments about Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free:

I have to say I really do like this food for my Australian shepherd and he loves it. When we first got him he was skinny and had diarrhea every time after he ate and he always smelled like fish. So after I researched online about all kinds of dog food and what cause that horrible odor I found this food. I love that fact that it has no grains which is very good for dogs since they are not supposed to have grains. It also has meat for the first ingredient which is essential to dogs so they can have a well-balanced diet. I also have to say that this food smells really good even to human standards! It also comes in a bag that is resealable that is good to be kept fresh and your doggie won’t be able to sneak a few nibbles out of the bag. I have to say that the only thing I don’t like is the price of the food for the bag size you get, it’s quite expensive unfortunately. But if you can afford the price to buy this dog food I highly recommend it!

• Flavor Selection:

The best thing to happen to our dog

Comments about Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free:

My daughter works at a pet store while she is away at college and rescued our Aussie cattle dog and catahoula mix pup to bring home to us. When she brought us the dog, she also brought home a bag of this dog food, and decreed that her "princess" should only get the best. From what she learned by working at the pet store, grain-free was a must, and the high-protein aspect is key. Our pooch LOVES it, and what I love about it is the combination of kibble and freeze-dried raw bits that provide complete (and tasty) nutrition for her. The down side? It's VERY pricey, but so far, I'm not willing to switch because she is thriving and always eager to gobble it down.

Quality of Ingredients
This is a quality dog food, no question about it.

Flavor Selection
We (well, she...) love the venison meal and lamb meal variety. Perhaps we will give some of the other flavors a try later on, but for now we're quite happy with how she is responding and growing.

• Flavor Selection:

Excellent choice of dog food for your dog.

Comments about Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free:

I just started my dog with nature's varity instinct chicken meal fourmal two weeks ago and seen a big improvement . After trying so many diffrent foods because my dog had skin problems and also stomach . since i put her on chicken meal fourmal dog food her skin cleared up i havent seen her with a upset stomach, she gain some weight and her coat feels much softer.

• Flavor Selection:

Awesome food for allergy animals

from Cleveland, OH

Comments about Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free:

I have two pets on the Instinct line, a cat and a dog.  My cat eats the chicken flavored and my dog eats the duck and turkey.  Both of these animals have grain allergies and my dog has a chicken allergy.  I trust this company because it's a relatively small manufacture and their ingredients are all US-based (with the exception of the rabbit, which is harvested in China).  The ingredients are great and, accordingly, the food is priced slightly higher than most other grain-free formulas.  I also have to special order it from my pet store because it is not a normally stocked product.  The kibble must be delicious, because I've always had trouble feeding my picky-eating dog, but ever since I switched her to Instinct, she runs into the kitchen licking her lips waiting to be fed.  The freeze dried bits are unique to NV and I think, contribute to the overall taste attraction.  Additionally, NV has a raw line, which I sometimes supplement. Even their regular formula, Prairie, contains great ingredients. Overall, Nature's Variety is the brand I trust most when it comes to my pets and they have never let me down. They truly know their pet nutrition.

Grain-Free Greatness

from Davenport, FL

Comments about Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free:

Although this food is a bit pricier then others it is the only thing I will feed my Boxer mix Seamus. It is free of by products and all the other garbage and fillers that you find in most commercial foods you buy at the supermarket. Less fillers means better diet and they get more from their food. Also it means less mess, and I don't knwo a single person who likes cleaning up after large dogs. Another bonus is that while all this dog food scare was going on last spring and summer I had zero worries with feeding my dog Natures Variety.I tend to go the Holistic route with feeding and caring for all my dogs and I don't think you can find a better product then Natrual Instinct. I also incorportate raw food and bones into all my dogs diest and my dogs love Natures Variety frozen Venison and Rabbit.

Love it; fantastic for dogs with allergies!

from Houston, TX

Comments about Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free:

I adopted my dog from a rescue group.  Upon adoption, I found out that she (my new dog, Jeepers) had flea/skin allergies.  She had been staying in a foster home and was given Nature's Variety Instict.  The vet said that many dogs with skin/flea allergies will also have food allergies.  I kept her on the food.  Her coat looks amazing, and she doesn't seem to have skin problems/allergies.  The only problem is that it is VERY hard to find and expensive.  Although it's densely nutritious, so the dog needs less, it's still pricey.  There is only one store in Houston that carries it.  It is MUCH less expensive online than in the store.  I try to find people to partner up with to either get free shipping or split the shipping.  In addition to the health benefits of the food, the packaging is amazing.  It has a resealable zipper on teh top (that actually works and lasts for the duration of the bag of food).  The packaing is a solid thick plastic.  It stays well sealed, and I NEVER smell the food when it's zipped up.  Love it!

Grrreat Food for Pets

from Northbrook, IL

Comments about Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free:

I have purchased Nature's Variety brand foods for years now, and I must say that this brand is my absolute favorite for my cats. I feed both of my cats the *Instinct *brand and they love it. My cats favorite flavor is the Rabbit amoung the Chicken and Fish. This brand of cat food is great because it makes my cats coats incredibly soft and shiny. Also, because of the quality ingredients and grain free source, my cats produce less waste. I would recommend this brand to any pet owner, dog or cat. Also, the raw food diet is another great feeding source. I would buy the patties and distribute a quarter of it to each cat twice per day. I found my cats actually eating less becaue of all the nutrients in this diet as well as absolutely no smell in their waste! It is an ideal way to fee your cats if you do not mind having to freeze and thaw their food daily. Overall, Nature's Variety is an outstanding source of dog and cat food.

Best pet food, most variety that I have found,

from Baden, PA

Comments about Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free:

I am a long time pet owner and animal advocate. I spent years working in an holistic veterinary clinic. All of my pets are rescues. This is in my opinion the perfect food. There are many reliable and healthy options available. I feed my pets several different versions of the foods available from this company. PRAIRIE foods include grains such as oatmeal, millet or brown rice. INSTINCT foods are high protein kibble that include meat poultry fruits and vegetables. Both PRAIRIE and INSTINCT come in dry and canned versions. RAW FROZEN diets contain meat, organs, bone, vegetables and fruit. They come in easy to serve portions. Beef, lamb, venison, salmon, rabbit and more are available, so my furkids have a good variety in their diets. I feed some of each of the different diets noted above. Not necessarily on the same day, although the dog does get some raw each day. My dog is approximately six years old and has Addison's disease. One of my cats is thirteen years old, the other is just a seven month old kitten. Last year I lost nineteen year old brothers. Once I began feeding Natures Variety Their coats became softer and shinier, and they seemed in generally better health, happy satisfied and active. I honestly believe that you just cannot do better for your pet.