Other Dog Foods:
Dry Dog Food
Holistic Select
Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties)

Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties)

Pros

Cons

Great Food for All Breeds

I run a small non profit Bichon rescue and the only food that we feed is Eagle Pack Holistic.  It' is not so much that I am holistically inclined, although I know there are merits to a holistic diet, but in all the years I have been doing rescue work, and with all the dogs that have passed through our rescue, we have never had a problem switching them over to the Eagle Pack Foods immediately.

When you take in a new rescue, you don't always know what htey have been eating, you only know they need the best possible diet to boost their immune system which has been compromised by being stressed out at the shelter, and you want to give them the best re-start in life that you can.  Eagle Pack does that.

When the recent dog food scare came about -with dogs being poisoned from large batch manufacturers - Eagle Pack never mad it to any of those dog food lists - Why? - Because they manufacture in small batches in their own plant in the USA to control quality - another plus in my book.

The dogs love the food and gobble it down, and we never have allergic reactions (common in Bichons).  Eagle Pack is a blue ribbon winner for my rescue dogs as well as for my own - I wouldn't consider feeding anything else!

Eagle Pack Holistic Select Dry Dog Food - New Formula

I was feeding my two little dogs the Holistic Select for small dogs. Prior to feeding them Holistic Select for small dogs, I fed them Wellness. I decided to change to give them variety in the diet. However I have gone back to Wellness small breed. While the Holistic Select for small dogs was okay for awhile, I started to notice that my dogs did not want to even eat it. I inquired at a local pet food specialty shop nearby and the owner told me that Holistic Select was now being made by another company. I told her that the food seemed different because it was not as though my dogs were tired of it, it was as if they did not want to be within 10 feet of it. I then showed her how the kibble size had changed. Originally the kibble pieces were tiny, like cat food. Then in the new batches they were larger. Oddly enough, the bag was a mixture of the original tiny pieces and the newer larger pieces. I did not like that. She told me she would talk to her Holistic Rep. but I knew that would get nowhere. So as I went into the store to purchase Wellness dog food, she told me she talked to the Rep and the Rep said the food size had not changed. Huh?? I had in my hand the two different sizes. However, as I stated, I did not expect to get anywhere. I know the kibble size is different. That bothers me, still, but Wellness is doing the job.

It has too many grains and fruits and veggies in it for dogs.

from West Virginia

Comments about Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

This food does have high quality ingredients in it that would be great for a human. For my dogs, this isn't what I want to continue to give them. I was lucky enough to get a small, three pound sample of the product to try out. I went ahead and poured some for my dogs and they did eat it up but I noticed one of my dogs was acting a bit constipated. After I researched the ingredients, I knew I wouldn't be giving it to my animals again because I didn't want to watch my Dachshund struggle to take a poop because he wasn't eating the right food.

It does have a lot of great proteins available but it has way too many fruits, vegetables, and grains for animals. Some of these ingredients are okay because they would naturally get them in the wild, but an emphasis on being omnivorous is unnecessary for dogs.

It's nice that this company is also organic but they only list "meal" as their proteins and they also list things like apples, cranberries, rice, and quinoa in their ingredients. My animals do not need these items because grains are hard on my smallest dogs stomach. These sound more like things I would consume as part of my omnivorous life.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients are top notch. They are high quality. They are organic. They are great items if you're feeding a human or an omnivorous creature. These ingredients are poorly selected though for a carnivore!

Flavor Selection
They have tons of flavors and variety but they use meal and a lot of fruits, nuts, vegetables, beans, and grains in my carnivores food.

A Truly "Can't Miss" Product

Comments about Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

My family and I have been using Holistic Select Dry Dog Food for almost 7 years now without a problem. We own three dogs, a Terrier, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and a Beagle and all three have been eating holistic dog food without complaint since they came into our home. When looking at food in general I watch for three things: Price, ingredients/quality, and of course how my family likes it. the same goes for the process in which I select dog food. Price-wise holistic dog food was clearly the way to go with a clear price differential than everything around it. When looking at ingredients and quality I was astounded to see how healthy holistic dog wood was all around, most dog foods have some good ingredients and some cheap not so healthy additions, holistic puts the time in to make sure their food is healthy all around. Lastly I was slightly skeptical that such cheap healthy food would taste very good to my dogs(only two at the time). But to my pleasant surprise my dogs couldn't get enough of it. It is an all around winner and I recommend it to anyone with any type of dog.

• Flavor Selection:

My furry kids didn't like this at all!

Comments about Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

While I believe there is nothing wrong with the food. It did not make my dogs sick or anything but I guess my dogs are picky. I have two dogs and we were having an allergy issue so we began to try different foods. Normally my dogs are just little piggys but with this food they wouldn't eat. They would only eat when it got to a point they couldn't wait anymore. Not sure what it was but it was not a big hit with my guys.

Dogs wouldnt eat

Comments about Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

I only give my dog the best and she just wouldnt eat this food. Ive been giving her organic, healthier food for the last few years so shes used to the taste by now. Something about the Hollistic brand just doesnt appeal to her. I even covered it in peanut butter and coconut oil, two things she will always eat no matter what they are on. I checked to make sure the food wasnt stale or expired because I couldnt figure out why she wouldnt touch this food. She has no allergies or sensitivies so Im just going to assume it tastes nasty. I was pretty upset because this food was pretty expensive and I had to throw it all away. The quality of ingredients is top notch though, and I highly reccommend this to any person who is trying to help their dog become more healthy. There isnt any filler, its all natural and real food which will help your dog physically and emotionally, considering they eat it. This is the second of about 50 foods my dog has rejected.

My New Rescue Loves This

Comments about Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

We have a new rescue dog and before we were feeding him what we feed our other dogs, and while our dog food for them keep them in good health, we noticed that the new dog was acting sluggish and his coat seemed to be dingy. After a vet check confirming no allergies we decided to slowly change his dog food as suggested on bags. Two months after eating Holistic Select dog food, the dog completely changed he went from sluggish to active and his coat has become healthier looking and glossy. If our other dogs would eat it, we would switch but they hate it.

For the record my dog eats the duck flavor in the dry food and the can food he'll eat the duck and the duck and chicken. He started on the sea food flavor but they stopped selling it in our area. Our other dogs will eat the Hollistix made by this brand. They go nearly as nuts for them as they do their occasional less healthy treat (Beggin Strips).

I have to drive three hours to get this dog food so when I'm in the area, I make sure to pick up several bags because it's worth it.

REAL food for your dog

Comments about Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

As a past veterinary technician, I have a lot of experience with animals, dogs especially. I had a dog that I eneded up bringing home with me for a week because he needed special care. I had heard about the Holistic Select food through another client, who raved about the wonders it worked for her dog. I decided to go buy a bag myself, for the dog I was fostering. He was having stomach problems and having a hard time with the food he was eating at home. When I gave it to him I mixed some water to make it soft and he scarfed it down like it was nothing. I did this for every meal, slowly weaning out the water and he was able to keep it all down! Within a week he seemed to be more active and healthy. I also noticed his skin and coat were healthier than before, which was just an added side effect. I decided to buy a few bags to give to his owner and they have kept him on it ever since, and he is doing great! I would recommend this food for any dogs, it is worth the extra money

• Flavor Selection:

Pretty good, my dog loves it.

from Groton, MA

Comments about Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

This is a very good product.Both my dog and my neighbor's dog loves it.I recommend buying this product.Not too expensive too.My dog had no problem changing to it immediately.It even smells good for me!!I mean, if I was a dog, I would eat this.Eagle Pack Holistic Select Dog Food Dry Version is something that I would recommend to any dog lover.

THE BEST DOGFOOD AVAILABLE FOR LARGE/GIANT BREEDS

from Wakefield, RI

Comments about Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

The probiotics in this food are the best available for the development of large and giant breeds.  This food also aids in the prevention of hip and joint issues later in life.  Dogfood can either make or break the health of your dog, and this food won't break the bank, but it will save you on vet bills!!!

the only dog food i buy

from Geneseo, NY

Comments about Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

this is the best dog food for your money.  It is organic and holistic, plus my dog loves it.  It is expensive, but I'd rather spend my money on good food instead of vet bills down the road because my pet has health problems from being fed garbage.  My dog is happy and healthy, no complaints here.

I feel comfortable feeding this to my wonderful fur-kids.

from Franklinton, LA

Comments about Holistic Select Dry Dog Food (All Varieties):

I have been very pleased with the results feeding Eagle Pack Holistic Select, both to my adult dogs and to my younger dog from puppyhood.  The working dogs we have work hard and train hard, and we do our very best to keep them in top condition.  Feeding them well is a big part of that.  With the Eagle Pack Holistic Select we don't have to give as many supplements to maintain their health, nice coats and energy level.  They see the vet regularly just for check ups several times a year due to the demands of work and training and she is always impressed with how well they're doing--says nothing she could sell us off her shelves would be as good.  We do also give them home-cooked from time-to time and baked liver, but kibble is the mainstay due to convenience and how well they've done on it thus far.  I've also been very impressed with the Eagle Pack customer service both by phone and over the internet... very helpful, even if it's just gas.  (Somebody ate part of a toy... it wasn't the food.)  =]  For folks with allergy dogs that service could be a great benefit though.