Other Dog Foods:

Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

They have their food tested - so I don't have to

Our dog, a Basset Hound, seems to be allergic to lots of things. We had difficulty finding a food that was good for him, without all of the grains he doesn't need, and without all of the corn fillers used to bulk up the grocery store foods. We wanted him to have a good, solid, diet - but we couldn't break the bank doing it!

Though I was skeptical of the "Dick Van Patten" name on the label (waht does a has-been TV Actor know about Dog Food?), the ingredient list and the nutritional label got me to try this food out.

Our Basset, always a finicky eater, stopped being finicky! He LOVES this food. I used to have to beg and coax, but I've never had to since switching to Natural Balance. His appetite is good, his stools are solid and his energy level is great - for a Basset Hound.....

I recommend this food - highly! During the big Pet Food Recall, we were concerned that we would learn that our food, too, had Chinese ingredients. Much to our relief, it didn't. Since the recall, and with the on-going concern over Pet Food Quality, Natural Balance set up a program to have every lot produced of their food tested by independant, outside laboratories. They are really doing the right things!

In a way, that is too bad....now it's getting harder to find their foods on the store shelf!

Too pricey, but good quality

I have nothing to find fault with in terms of the ingredients or manufacture of this product, but I struggle to understand why its price point is significantly higher than most products of its type.  I also wonder what Dick Van Patten's name attached to the product is supposed to do in terms of assuring us of its quality and effectiveness.  I don't use it specifically due to cost, because there are other products out there that deliver same quality at lesser cost.  For folks dealing with allergy issues, there are some good and unique combinations that may help alleviate those issues, but this still isn't in the class of a prescription diet such as one might get from a vet.

My maltese loves it

Comments about Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food:

Natural Balance makes quality dog food for dogs and this product by them is no exception. My Maltese absolutely loves it. I feed him this twice a day and he gobbles it up and leaves nothing behind unlike some other brands that I have tried. He seems to be more healthier as well and cheerful. He has gained about 2 pounds from eating this daily.

The total pounds in the bag I buy is huge and last me for a while. It is a bit expensive but the quality is high and the amount I get is very much. I love the ingredients that are added to Natural Balance' product. It is made with real meats like fresh chicken, lamb, duck, oatmeal, brown rice, carrots and barley. The only downside to buying this product is that I would have wished that it was resealable other then that I love Natural Balance Ultra Premium dog food.

Quality of Ingredients
Has ingredients that are fresh, healthy and that my Maltese loves to eat.

Flavor Selection
Has only 1 flavor to choose from but it is great.

18 months, so far so good

Comments about Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food:

I switched to Natural Balance a year and a half ago after my dogs were developing a variety of standard and age-related problems, including some gastrointestinal sensitivities. So far the Lamb and Rice formula has proven gentle on their stomachs, easily digestible, and they enjoy the formula immensely, even after it being old hat. My formula has glucosamine and chondroitin for bone and joint health. My dog's breath also seems fresher.

Quality of Ingredients
The main ingredients are wholesome whole proteins, with my own formula containing fruits, vegetables, fish oils, and minimal by-product meal or other low-end fillers. The vitamin profile is pretty standard in terms of supplementation and enrichment. The dry kibble also stays fresh for a long time. There's no question this ingredients list is wholesome and nourishing compared to your standard grocery dog food.

Flavor Selection
I think Lamb and Rice is most digestible, but it comes in Chicken, and I believe more exotic mélanges like duck and Venison. The pet stores I have visited are however always well-stocked with a variety of flavors.

Wonderful!

Comments about Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food:

When my dog was getting an allergic reaction due to her old dog food we were told to switch to Natural Balance. Since the switch she has not had any more allergic reactions at all. She is 12 years old and runs around like she is a puppy still. She has had no medical problems or anything. She is healthy and strong and a big part of it i am sure is the food!

• Flavor Selection:

Healthy food that dogs find tastey

Comments about Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food:

I use to feed my dogs beneful until i went to my local dog boutique and an employee there informed me that the food i was feeding my dog could be giving her allergies. She recommended a lot of different organic and healthy substitute dog food brands and gave me samples of each for my dog to try before i purchased the full size bag.

My dog is a very picky eater... I'm talking won't eat plain dog food or dog bone treats like milkbones. The only way i was able to get her to eat other dog food brands was either feeding her by hand or by mxing the dry food with wet dog food.

When i gave my dog the other samples provided to me by the dog boutique employee she sniffed them and pushed them around, but did not eat them. As soon as i gave her the Nature Balance dog food she ate it.... without me feeding her or mixing it with wet dog food.
I ended up going back and bought her the largest bag of Nature Balance.
Since she began eating this dog food she has been scratching less and not biting the pads of her feet... 2 signs of allergies caused by food. Yes Nature Balance is way more expensive then other dog foods but you get what you pay for.

• Flavor Selection:

You can depend on this great dog food!

Comments about Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food:

I thought adopting a puppy was going to be all fun and good times, until he developed allergies to his food. Luckily things got better real quick when I put him on this amazing natural balance dog food. Lucky is doing great now and things are back to being fun and good times again!

• Flavor Selection:

A great solution for itching dogs

Comments about Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food:

I recently bought this healthy dog food after one of my dogs started itching like crazy. I figured we should try something more natural before getting him an allergy test and spending the money. Skippy stopped itching within about a week, loved the taste, and the other dogs were jealous and wanted it as well so now everybody gets it. I later realized there was soy and wheat in the old food I used to give them – guess that was causing Skippy to scratch – but the problem was resolved by Natural Balance because there are only good ingredients in Ultra. Everyone is happy, healthy, and tails are wagging!

Best by far

from Wonder Lake, IL

Comments about Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food:

My German Shepherd had ear infection due to Yeast in the food. We tried this and have had no problems... I recently tried Innova thinking its a better food...and he has had major diarrhea. and i have done the gradual switching and its been 3 months...so i switched back....Wont do that again. LOVE natural balance. Use it for my Cats as well!

I trust this brand of dog food

from Orlando, FL

Comments about Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food:

I have 2 chihuaha's and they are alergic to chicken and wheat so the limited ingredant diet that they make is perfect and unlike so brands there small bit formula comes in big bags so I dont have to run to the store every week for dog food. plus they love the food It is the first food I have not had a problum feeding them they eat it just fine

I don't hear any complaints.

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food:

I love this dog food for it's all natural qualities.  I rescued my dog from a shelter and he was being fed Pedigree which he loved until I found out how much fat and rich it was.  I was at a pet trade show and came accross the Natural balance brand.  I got a sample and took it home to see if he would like it and he did.  That was a definite no brainer too switch.  I also liked that with this product it could grow with him.  I didn't have to go from a puppy formula to an adult formula.  He doesn't care for all the flavors though so I stick to what he knows.  He is a year and a half now and I can say has not had any digestive problems at all.  He is as regular as the day is long.  I also love that this food comes in a variety of types.  I typically use the dry formula, but I also use the rolls as a special treat.  I slice it up and put it in his kong or I grate the roll right onto his food as a special treat.  He is practically climbing the counter waiting with excitement.  I would highly recommend to anyone who loves their animal.

The perfect diet for my greyhound.

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Natural Balance Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food:

We tried several brands of pet food until we found one that settled well for our greyhound's sensitive stomach. Natural Balance Ultra was our saving grace ... no more mess potty walks, if you know what I mean. This food is on the expensive side, but many pet stores participate in the Natural Balance buy 10 get one free card, so that helps a little bit over the long haul.