Other Washing Machines:

Maytag Performance Series Washer

Pros

Cons

Wonderful machine

This machine saves water but also seems to put less wrinkles in my laundry. I iron much less with this every time I wash. I also use far less detergent that I did before with the traditional top loader machine. The only down side is that you must leave the door open after a wash is completed or you get a musty smell after a while. I wipe down the inside glass and dry out the rubber seal to keep it fresh and so far I have had no problem with odors.

Good performance overall, no drain setting, parts NLA

First the good: The machine is quiet and efficient. Typical of front loaders, it uses much less water and detergent than a top loader, so it is easy on our well and septic system. It does a good job of getting the clothes clean of dirt, although it may leave long fibers like dog hair behind.

Now for the bad: This is our 3rd front loader. We bought this 2 years ago after the aluminium "spider" (the support for the drum) in our Whirlpool (same company as Maytag) model disintegrated. That spider is an integral part of the inner drum, which was no longer available and so Whirlpool refused to honour the warranty. We specifically bought this Maytag model as it had a replaceable spider. However, that part is now listed as "No Longer Available." Nothing has failed YET, but it seems that Whirlpool/Maytag front loaders must be considered disposable items, and the warranty is not worth the price of the paper it's printed on. In the case of our last one, the life was only 8 years.

Operationally, our only complaint is the lack of a drain cycle. There is a Rinse, Spin, and Drain. The default cycle time is 28 minutes! However, one can reduce that to 12 minutes by deselecting the "2nd Rinse" option. As this is a rarely-needed feature, it was not a deal-breaker for us.

Typical of front loaders, laundry can get caught between the door and seal, particularly if over-loaded. In the case of small items like baby socks, it's not a big problem: simply pull the seal back and recover the sock. In the case of a piece of larger clothing, it can wear a hole in the article during the spin cycle. While technically an operator-error issue, it is hard to tell exactly when a front-loader is loaded to capacity.

Overall, I will not buy another Whirlpool/Maytag machine again. I feel like I have been burned by this company twice now. If I wanted to buy a disposable machine, I would have bought one of the cheaper models.

Energy Efficiency
Typical of front loaders. Use the highest spin speed for the type of article to minimize drying time. Drying is the most intense energy use.

Cleaning Time
Front loaders take longer because they clean by soaking more than by agitation.

Clothes come out clean. Machine runs quiet. This machine seems to have no difficulty self-balancing for the high speed spin cycle (our last one sometimes had great difficulty).

There are so many cycles and options it takes a few loads to figure out which is best for what. But for general laundry, just select "Normal" and let it use the default options.

Control layout is easy to understand. It would be nice if someone could figure out a better door seal system, to prevent damage to clothes when overloaded. Replaceable parts is a good design criteria, worthy of the "commercial technology" hype. It's too bad they didn't follow through on that promise.

It has not died yet, but something is sure to need repair eventually and the lack of replacement parts -- despite being designed to be replaceable -- makes this a disposable item and therefore not very durable. No wonder the Maytag repairman is lonely -- he can't do anything without parts!!!

VERY GOOD PRODUCT

from SEL LHOUS

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I was just gifted a new washer and dryer from my husband's grandmother, and this is the washer she bought for our family. There are many things about this machine that I love. It looks great and has a large capacity. It is very durable and well built (of course, it's a Maytag!) Some of the minor issues I've had are explained in more detail below.

Energy Efficiency
I'm not sure how it compares to others in terms of electricity usage, but as far as conserving water goes this is a great machine. It uses much less water and detergent than traditional top loading machines.

Cleaning Time
Personally I think the cleaning time is really long. This doesn't really seem to be specific to any brand though, because all of the newer machines that use less water than the old fashioned top loaders seem to take a long time to me. I've washed clothes in a similar high efficiency washer (my mother-in-law's LG machine) and each load takes forever in hers too. Basically whichever cycle you pick, it's going to take over an hour (sometimes well over an hour) to wash a single load. Ultimately I think we're all going to have to get used to longer wash times, because it seems like the traditional, top loading, agitating washers (which had quicker wash times) are a thing of the past. They don't even seem to be on the market anymore.

It works great, however the fact that it uses less water than older top loaders means that (at least in our household) less pet hair gets rinsed away than in machines that fill all the way up. I have noticed more dog hairs still stuck on the wet clothes when they come out than in other machines I've used.

I love the look of this machine. It is well built, and very attractive. When I lift the lid up and down it just feels heavier and more well made than other machines I've used. The see through glass top is great! I love being able to look down in while the machine is in use to see what's going on in there. The only thing I really don't like

• Was this a gift?:

A good washer

from Grand Rapids, MI

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I have had my maytag washer for almost 6 years. I run atleast a load of laundry a day, some days 6 loads. I have found over time my washer are encountered some problems. Some days it won't spin, some days it won't drain. I know washers are not made like they used to be. This washer does do a good job cleaning the clothes. This washer spins great! The clothes come out damp after spinning, not soaking wet, thus drying time is reduced. Over time, like all front load washers the drum does start to smell. I do regular cleaning on it with bleach and also with a washing machine cleaner but it still sometime has a smell. My clothes don't reflect it though. I use my washer with city water not well. This washer when it spin is pretty quiet. During the regular cycles it is quiet too. I really like the delay wash, I can put a load in at night, delay the wash and it starts in the morning and is ready for te dryer once the day starts. There are also a good variety of cycle options. I like to have the options depending on what I wash. I would recommend this washer to others, I just feel washer aren't what they used to be.

• Was this a gift?:

oooh a front load machine

from Stacy, MN

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I was nervous on a front loading machine I had heard many horror stories with leaking and the stink. We have a very limited space for our washer and dryer and it tends to stay a moister area - so the smell was a concern for me - I have not had any issues in over 1 year if you leave the door cracked just a little after you are done it gives the machine time to dry out . the amount of laundry this holds is amazing I think we get what used to take 3 loads into 1 now - which saves on time - water (which we have a well so very important) detergent and electricity - It is a no brainer there- 3 loads vs 1 load - that is probably my biggest love of this machine. It seems to clean very well we landscape and live in northern MN so most our clothing gets dirty - greasy and other issues we will not mention. Our old washer we used to have one of the screens on the end of the hose to gather lint with this machine that is not the case it is easy on our clothing yet cleans better than our old machine that beat the heck out of our cloths .

Good performance overall, no drain setting, parts NLA

Cleaning Time
Front loaders take longer because they clean by soaking more than by agitation.

• Cleaning Time:

Love this washing machine!

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I am a very big fan of Maytag products, this washing machine is no different. I really like how this washing machine looks in my laundry room. I smile every time I use it. This is another product from Maytag that I feel is very affordable. It is also very easy to use, with step by step instructions included with purchase. I had a few questions so I did call their customer service and they were great. It is very quiet when it is running and it is easy on my electric bill, which is what I was looking for when I was shopping for a washing machine. This washing machine really gets my clothes clean and the machine is big enough for a large load of clothes. I am really glad that I saved my money to purchase it and I would buy it again in heartbeat. I recommend this washing machine if you are in the market for something that is energy efficient that gets the job done right, every time.

Maytag Performance Series Washer MHWE301YW

from The Colony, TX

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

Maytag Performance Series Washer is a great clothes washer for your family. This clothes washer is user friendly and will get your clothes clean no matter how soiled they may be. There is no soaking time needed. Just place your clothes in the washer, and start the machine, add your favorite detergent, and the machine will do all the work for you.

Energy Efficiency
This Maytag Performance Washer is energy efficient and your family will save money on your monthly electric bills. There are many different cycles for any type of clothing, including delicates. No more hand washing. The Maytag washer will take care of everything for you.

Cleaning Time
The Maygtag washer has many different cycles of cleaning times. From short cycles to 18 minutes for very soiled clothing. It has a short soaking time if needed for delicates. Don't take your clothes to the cleaners any longer. Save your family's money. You will no longer need this service. The Magtag washer will take of this for you.

The performance of the Maytag is wonderful. You will be delighted with the outcome of your clothes!

This Maytag washer is entirely user friendly. Just select the cycle for your clothes (dark, whites, delicates, very soiled etc.), dispense your favorite detergent and turn your washer on. In about thirty-five minutes your clothes will be completely washed and ready to put in your dryer.

The washer has a great design that you will be proud to have in your wash room. It is very unique and stylish. It comes in many different colours. Just chose the one that matches the decor of your home and you will be happy.

The durability of the Matag washer is very good. With proper maintence, this machine should last at least ten years or longer. You will definitely get your moneys worth.

Good washer

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

Good washer to have for a family of four, including 2 small children. My husband researched washers for a few months and we both finally decided on this one due to its energy efficiency and the price range. Overall we are very pleased with our choice. Its capacity is large enough for it to take care of all of our weekly laundry (4-5 large basketloads) in 2-3 washes. When there are bedsheets involved, we do have to add another wash session in. The machine is compatible with most HE washing detergents which makes it easy for us to find in the warehouse stores.

The noise level of the washer is not too bad, but our washer is in the garage. It does not wake up our children whose beds are against an adjoining wall. The machine beeps after the load is done but only for 30 seconds before it shuts off.

We have had the machine for 2-2.5 years now and it still performs very well and we have not had any maintenance issues.

Cleaning Time
For a heavy duty load, the time for washing is 85 minutes as well as for washing a purely white load. I think that's a bit excessive, especially for the whites, so I usually only use the normal wash load. Also, the last minute of the spin cycle takes forever, even though it says that there is only 1 minute left. It seems to last at least 2 minutes and I often have to come back to get the load instead of standing there and waiting.

Maytag Performance Series Washer Speedy Machine

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

This washing machine is fabulous. I owned this for 2 years, and it still works great.

Energy Efficiency
Great, it really helps save me money.

Fast, and easy.

Cleans my clothes very well. I love, and trust this product.

Simple to operate.

I like the color, and the way it looks.

Strong, and sturdy.

Horrible Washin Machine

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

I absolutely think this is the worst washing machine that I have ever owned, by far. I have had to replace the front glass piece 3 times already, in less than a year. The first time, I thought nothing of it, I thought maybe I didn't empty my son's pockets and that it was my fault, there must have been something in there that was heavy enough to break it. So, believe me, since then, I have checked EVERYTHING that goes into that washer. I believe it is the buttons on our jeans hitting it that is cracking and breaking it. It is absolutely ridiculous. I am definitely replacing it after Christmas. Sad, I have only had it for 13 months, but definitely not worth replacing it even one more time.

• Cleaning Time:

High capacity front loader washing machine

Comments about Maytag Performance Series Washer:

Absolutely love this washer and the matching dryer. I have back problems and the loading and unloading is a relief because I don't have to bend over and lift.

Low electric bills.

Cleaning Time
40 minutes and done. Love it!!

My clothes come out cleaner than any other washer I have ever used.

A five year old could operate these.

Sleek and stylish. I have the pedestals on mine and love it. Storage drawers are convenient.

Maytag is built to last.