Other Washing Machines:
Front Load Washers
Kenmore
Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer

Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer

Pros

• Adjustable settings (4)
  • Clean clothes well (4)
  • Energy efficient (4)
  • Large capacity (4)
  • Quiet (3)

• Everyday clothes (5)
  • Bedding (4)
  • Delicate (4)
  • Towels (4)
  • Heavy/bulky items (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Frequent user (5)

The Kenmore Elite HE5T Front Loader really cleans our laundry!

I purchased the Kenmore Elite HE5T front loader a year ago. I wanted something that could wash large loads well. I have not been disappointed yet. With the options of prewash, soak, extra rinse, and sanitize (just to name a few); I can guarantee my clothes will be clean when the washer is done. They are also so much drier thanks to the stronger spin cycle.

There are a few things that you have to remember:
1. Always leave your washer door open until the washer is dry
2. Put small items in a laundry bag (I found baby socks and other small items under the seal)
3. Run the clean washer cycle every so often.. the next load will be that much fresher!
4. Most importantly, as with all washers.. remove clothes promptly!

Terribly disappointed

I have had my Kenmore HE5t w/d set for over a year. I have been disappointed since day one. My husband's shirts and slacks that used to be wash and wear, I now send out to be laundered. My clothes come out twisted from the washer and wrinkled from the dryer, but what do you expect when the cool down cycle is only 4 minutes long. I feel my daughter's athletic clothes do not get clean (so I pretreat and put on 'heavy' wash, which I didn't do with the old machines). I have tried everything; numerous detergents and softeners, different automatic and manual cyles, different water temps. and drying temps., I have acutally sat in front of the machines timing cycles to see it they are operating properly, and lastly, of course, I have had the repairman out many a time.(One repairman said I knew more than any technician he had worked with) All said the machines were both working properly. I don't think so!-Not when the clothes are not completely clean and wrinkled. Not one repairman has been able to tell me how long the cool down cycle is suppose to be. Four minutes is not enough. My cloths are still very warm when they come out of the dryer, thus resulting in wrinkled clothes. I was prompted to write this opinion because once again a repairman was out, for the yearly checkup and the dryer is now over or under drying the clothes. I told him the history of the w/d and he commented most of his complaints were related to the automatic cycles on the set.(I use auto and manual, depending upon what I'm laundering) I use to be mad, but now I am just sad; Sad I made such a poor choice in w/d. My last Kenmores (top loading) lasted 15 years and were great. I will not buy Kenmore again and I tell everyone I know how lousy these units are. And unfortunately for me, I will continue to use these units for a long time to come because of what I paid for them....

Very Short lifespan...Washer works great but can't get parts

from Elk Grove, CA

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
  • Clean Clothes Well
  • Energy Efficient
  • Large Capacity
  • Quiet
  • Spins Clothes Dry

Cons

• Breaks Down

Comments about Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer:

Bought 3 sets of washer and dryer one for us. and one for each daughter as a gift. Our Machine had main Bearing go out at 4.5 years along with a front boot seal. Oldest daughters machine is 5 years old and has the electronic control board out now and they are no longer available. We either pay to have rebuilt or get new washer. Youngest daughter has replaceed pressure sensor switch and also electronic control board before they were no longer available....

They work great but if you buy one make sure to keep up the service plan or you will be out of luck as they don't support them for long!

This washer works very well

from Lubbock, TX

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
  • Clean Clothes Well
  • Energy Efficient
  • Large Capacity
  • Quiet
  • Spins Clothes Dry

Comments about Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer:

I purchased this washer six months ago and it has been one of the best home purchases I have made. This washer is a large capacity washer, so you can comfortably wash a large load of clothes or a large blanket and not have to worry about it not coming out clean. The soap dispenser has an indicator so you know how much detergent to use. The spin cycle does a great job at wringing out your clothes so your dryer cycle goes for a significantly less amount of time. I mainly use the normal wash cycle but the gentle cycle also does a great job at washing my delicate clothes and baby blankets so they are not damaged. Once a month I run the clean washer cycle with bleach and I haven't needed to worry about any bad smells or mold growing in my machine.

Amazing washing machine best I have ever tried.

from ferndale, washington

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
    • Clean Clothes Well
    • Energy Efficient
    • Large Capacity
    • Quiet

Cons

• Long Cycle

Comments about Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer:

I use this washing machine once to three times a day and I love how clean my clothes get, I could not possibly be happier with the powerful yet gentleness of this washing machine. I have a two year old daughter who gets all kinds of things on her clothing and mine on a multiple times a day basis. I constantly have everything from ketchup to paint to potty accidents on both our clothes because messes and accidents happen, especially with a toddler so no biggy. Except when we had a washer that couldn't get those stains out no matter what products we used or stain lifters. We just moved into a brand new house (well new to us) and this washing machine was already installed and ready to go in our new home a brand new machine. the first day we moved in we had been painting my daughter's room magenta and violet because that is what she wanted and we all got our clothes covered in paint! so we threw them in the washer and set it to steam clean, and I was only expecting a small amount to come off in reality but when i ran them threw the washer and went to put them in the dryer I noticed that every speck of paint was gone! I was truly amazed it was like we had them proffessionally dry cleaned it was that perfect. So far I have had not had a single stain not come out of any of our clothes when washed on the steam wash setting, and we have had some pretty incredible stains!

Kenmore Elite Wash He5t is a LEMON

from North Arlington, NJ

Pros

Cons

• Breaks Down

Comments about Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer:

I was so excited when my husband bought me the Kenmore Elite HE5t Washer and Dryer. I had heard so much about the front loader machines and couldn't wait to get the set. Unfortunately the excitement was extremely short-lived. Both of our families had always had Kenmore products in our households and they seemed to last forever. This is not the case with the washer and dryer we purchased. A year or two after our purchase - the main board went bad and we were thankful that an experienced Sears Tech would be out to repair the problem. This was not the case the first tech had no idea what the problem was, than they had sent out another tech who knew even less, and instead of spending time inside testing and diagnosing the problem, he was outside on his cell phone with the helpdesk giving them the info so they could tell him what his next steps were. Didn't get a real warm and fuzzy from that so hired our own repair guy to come in and he literally diagnosed and replaced the board in under an hour. Shorlty after that we had to have the drain pump replaced. A few months ago our dryer wouldn't work and the main board on that went. Now our washing machine isn't working - it's not throwing any codes and powers up just doesn't lock the door or start so we think it is the locking mechanism on the door that isn't working. All in all these machines look attractive but they are not reliable. They are expensive to purchase and just as expensive to repair. They are delicate machines and must be treated as such. The Kenmore brand doesn't have the same quality and sustainability that many of us remember growing up. I would definitely not purchase a front loader again, in addition I would go back to a simpler machine. With all of the electronics in these machines - when something goes wrong it ends up being pricey. In addition, you must be sure to properly care for your front loader otherwise it can easily build up mold and mildew especially under the rubber boot, small items get caughte up under the boot and promote mold and mildew. I recommend Keep It Simple - look at the machines in laundry mats (as my machines have been down so often I have had to frequent them) they aren't crazy front loaders with a zillion settings and cycles- yes they are front loaders but with about 3 settings and many don't have electronic controls.

Excellent washing macine

from Canada

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
      • Clean Clothes Well
      • Energy Efficient
      • Large Capacity
      • Spins Clothes Dry

Cons

• Noisy
      • Shakes/Moves

Comments about Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer:

I bought this laundry machine to replace my old washing machine which was extremely noisy and would shake violently with each load. Aesthetically this is a beautiful washing machine and it has all the options you could possibly want. The front loader is nice and the soon cycle works great. I only have a few complaints. I was hoping it would be quieter than it is. It is not very loud but not as quiet as others I have heard. While it can handle large loads I have noticed that with larger loads the machine does shake a little bit. The main negative experience I had had with this washing machine is smaller items like children's socks get stuck in the rubber ridge near the front, because of this they do not get included in the spinning motion. Not a huge deal I just have to pull those items out and wrong out all the water as they are soaked. As for effectiveness I have been very happy with how the machine washes clothes, towels and bedding. I love all the options available, from spin cycle speed, temperature, soil level and all the additional options.

the best in cleaning.

from Michigan

Comments about Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer:

My old washer went out and I needed something that could handle large loads without breaking down. Since the moment I've put my first load in, I have not been disappointed. It's quiet, doesn't rattle under the weight, and cleans my clothes like no other. I've had this model for a few years now so I know it's long lasting and durable. The washer comes in a a beautiful white finish and it's resistant metal. Then it's load friendly that's perfect for any laundry load. It's see through wash door allows you to check for that rouge sock that decided to go ninja with the rest of your clothes as well. With a smart button touch cycle and alarm that set off every five minutes. you won't have to worry about when to change loads before things got stinky. The products in the kenmore line up including this one are energy efficient. So not only are you getting a clean worth a million bucks. It really does show it's use in keeping the bill low too. It's also quiet and big enough to clean not one but two full sized comforters at once. With the option of wash type via buttons. You'll find washing to be a heck of a lot easier.

• Cleaning Time:

this is a energy save product

Comments about Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer:

cleans all sorts of laundry, dry cleans as well, has many options for different washes

Energy Efficiency
      what a difference it made in my electric bill

Cleaning Time
      all different times of cleaning specifications, high or low agitation, high orlow spin, this machine can clean anything

I love it, they also give you options in color, design of machine facing, very attractive piece of appliance

long life of this machine even with two to three loads per week

Great Washer!

Comments about Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer:

A little loud for my preference but clothes come out super clean every time.

Energy Efficiency
      Uses very little water and meets energy star requirements.

Cleaning Time
      Most front loaders take a LONG time but this one has the option of adjusting the wash time based on how dirty the clothes are or how big the load is. A normal load takes a little less than an hour, quick one takes about 40 minutes and an extra dirty load takes closer to an hour and a half.

Does an excellent job of cleaning clothes. Haven't used the steam option yet but the kid wear option has removed EVERY stain from my 6 and 3 year olds clothes so far. I also like that you can adjust setting by simply turning the front knob OR manually over ride and set specific features yourself.

Very easy to understand, the manual seems almost an extra that you don't need. The options are easily to find and switch between.

Very stylish, a new paint job and the new washing machine and matching dryer made the laundry my new favorite room in the house.

Really good washer

Comments about Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer:

I love front loaders, first of all. This washing machine is very quiet. The steam clean is a great feature. It can handle anything from rough and rugged to very delicate. There is an express setting that I personally use a lot. I can even fit my gigantic comforter in this washing machine! I have owned other washers in the past and none of them have been as good as this one. This washer is also very good looking I have the dryer to match and they make a very nice set.

Cleaning Time
      This particular model has no agitator so you can fit more laundry per load at one time. In my opinion this cuts down on the cleaning time by about half. I read in an online review that "you will be able to wash a total of 23 bath towels within a single load". I gave it a try to see if this washer lived up to the challenge and guess what??? IT DID! My old machine washed ten to twelve towels per load so, yeah, washing 23 bath towels vs 12 definitely saves time!

This machine has an amazing design, it has been developed with a beautiful exterior as well as a giant washing capacity so you can wash anything from your delicates or a light wash as well as bulky items and larger loads.

Haven't had any repair issues yet, everything is working the way it should on this washer. This washing machine is very dependable.

• Cleaning Time:

Stick the the middle line, not worth the extra bucks.

Comments about Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Load Washer:

I recently spent a month using the Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Loader Washer. I was expecting great things from this top of the line front loading washer, but it didn't live up to the expectations I had at all. The Kenmore Elite HE5t Steam Front Loader Washer was hardly capable washing my plus side loads, things were coming out somewhat soapy, and very wet, these loads were of a size that should have run with no problems. It also made more noise during the run cycles than most washing machines. I thought it was off balance, but no matter how much leveling I did, and even with me sitting on top of the washer the noise persisted. Even when running small loads, it sounded as though it would switch off any minute. The HE5 dryer was amazing, but I absolutely would not want this washer to go along with it! I'm not sure how Kenmore could have gone so wrong with this washer.