3.3

3.3

Pros

Cons

Very hard working machine

This machine (although mine died recently) is, I think, a pretty hardy performer. We have three teens, and five dogs, so we really put this washer through the wringer (pun intended). I routinely overloaded it, I mean CONSTANTLY...and it cleaned well without destroying any of our clothing. Toward the end of it's life (the last year or so), it began to get off balance often during the spin cycles, requiring redistributing of items to balance it. I am sure that the balance system was killed by my careless habit of overloading it and washing heavy rugs in it. I think it would still be with us, had I not abused it so much. I did not experience any problems with any cycle, filling, emptying, or any other issue one would associate with faulty clothes washers. I would buy it again, if I had the chance.

Energy Efficiency
Not the most efficient and 'green', but cycles are fairly short, and the variable load size options give the user a lot of control over the amount of water used, and the length of the cycle used.

I would have liked it to have a longer life, but I am truly amazed that it lasted as long as it did, with the abuse I gave it!

Pretty standard...the controls are very visible and simple.

This washer would still be working for us if I had used it as recommended. I routinely overloaded it and ran it with extremely heavy loads.

Performa was a big disappointment. Wouldn't buy it again.

After having a great set of Maytags that worked beautifully for more than a decade, I bought the Performa set a few years ago. I can't wait to get rid of them. They still run, but they also shake, vibrate, sound like freight trains and tie my clothes into knotted ropes.  We have adjusted the legs repeatedly but nothing helps. They have been a bad purchase from the start. Clothes with stains don't seem to get as clean as I'd like. The capacity leaves a bit to be desired if you need to do comforters, etc.  It's impossible to wash anything that gets heavy (such as towels or bathrobes) without guarding it carefully so it doesn't literally walk across the floor. If you put anything with belts or straps in it (even a bra) the knots are even worse and the cords or belts will tie themselves around the rest of the load. You have to struggle to get the clothes out - pretty much every time you wash - because they're knotted around the stupid screw-shaped agitator.  If you use the delicate cycle, the clothes come out so wet you can almost squeeze them by hand.  My old (great) Maytag was like normal washing machines - you peeled the clothes off the drum when it ended a cycle. With the Performa, you have to unravel clothes from the knots they form around the agitator.  I have no idea how this machine ever passed their testing at Maytag.

I had hoped the Performa set would give me years of happy, reliable service, but I am getting rid of them anyway. I just ordered the LG Tromm Steam set - hoping for a better experience.

An old time washer that really does the job.

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about Maytag Performa Top Load Washer:

I've had this washer since 2002, so I think 11 years is a good testament to it.

Energy Efficiency
I think it was more energy efficient in it's time. There are newer ones that are more, I'm sure. However, I'm happy with it.

Cleaning Time
It takes 25-35 minutes depending on the setting. That's reasonable to me and what I expect.

Very good over the years.

Extremely simple to use. I am not great w/ complicated machines, but this is super.

Obviously more water saving and larger, front loaders have come out since I purchased this. However, I would not get rid of it -I'm happy with it.

I've had this 11 years with NO repairs, I think that says it is quite durable! Nowadays the life of washers is much shorter, but this one is going strong. The only think I've noticed is it might not spin the water out as well as it used to on heavy loads, so if I'm doing jeans, towels, etc, I run the spin again, just to make the dryer not work as hard. It might not even be an issue, it is just worth it to me to do this for the best energy efficiency.

Maytag Performa Washing Machine

from Hixson, TN

Comments about Maytag Performa Top Load Washer:

The Maytag Performa, purchased new, has lasted 10 years with no repairs, not even a belt needing to be replaced. I have had small issues with it getting out off balance, but otherwise seems fine. It is a solid machine.

Energy Efficiency
It is not particularly energy efficient, but does not seem be be a horrible energy hog either.

Cleaning Time
The cleaning time is quick, with different settings on the cycles for wash time.

The unit gets heavily soiled clothes clean just fine, and is gentle enough to use with delicate items. The fabric softener dispenser seems to need a little extra attention to keep it clean.

The controls are very easy to understand and use, and this models extra capacity helps with keeping the total number of loads down.

The design is nothing fancy, but the bleach and fabric softener dispensers are a nice touch. The lid can push the main control dial off if it is opened too abruptly.

There have been no issues with the durability with this machine, and it has been through 2 moves. It is at least 10 years old.

Very hard working machine

from Ft Mitchell, KY

Energy Efficiency

Pretty standard...the controls are very visible and simple.

Great economic washing machine

from Farmington, MI

Comments about Maytag Performa Top Load Washer:

I have had this washing machine for about 9 years now. It has been working great and is reasonably priced too. The washing machine is big enough for a king size comforter and has different settings for different kinds of laundary. I've not had any problems with this machine and the clothes come out clean and washed.

Energy Efficiency
I've not had high energy bills but at the same time don't see any major savings.

Cleaning Time
There are different cycles depending on the laundary load.

Clothes come out clean.

The dashboard is pretty intuitive.

Looks good in my laundary room

I've been using it for 9 years with no problems.

I hate my Maytag

from Ruth, MI

Comments about Maytag Performa Top Load Washer:

I have a Maytag performa washer.. It is about 5 years old and has had so many problems..lets say the Maytag man isn't lonesome at my house. The gears are made of plastic so they had to be replaced. The pump had to be replaced already. Every so often it decides it doesn';t want to spin out..Have to wait a few hours and then it will work again. I don't know what that's all about, but I know if I call the repair guy he will not find anything wrong, by the time he gets here. I won't buy another one ever!

Maytag is okay

from North Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Maytag Performa Top Load Washer:

We've had our Maytag Performa Washing Machine close to 6 years now. It's okay, cleans the laundry well, you can adjust the temperature of water. The only thing I don't like with Maytag is that it makes so much noise when I do laundry, and our laundry room is next to my baby's room. I guess she's not bothered with the noise though and even lulls her to sleep I think. Another negative thing is it vibrates really forcefully! Especially towards the end of the cycle. The whole house shakes like there's an earthquake!. We'll probably stick with this for a while because it still functions well, but upo the first sign of breaking I'll definitely buy another brand of washing machine with very minimal noise and vibration.

Great Maytag Washing Machine

from Freeport, IL

Comments about Maytag Performa Top Load Washer:

We bought this washing machine almost 10 years ago and it is still going strong. I have never had issues with how well it washes clothing - clean every time. I like all of the settings, but the only setting I wish it has for water temperature was hot/cold. It only has warm/cold so I usually use that. It also has plenty of size settings which are helpful to save water. It is also relatively quick to wash the clothes. I believe an extra large load usually take just 30 minutes. The smaller the load the faster it takes. The only issue I have had recently was that with my towel/sheet loads the spin cycle doesn't seem to dry the items as much as it used to. Sometimes have to run the spin cycle twice for the items not to be sopping wet. This glitch happens on and off. Other than that, considering the price and almost 10 years of use, we are pretty impressed with this product.

it doesnt have a fuzz filter

from Greensburg, PA

Comments about Maytag Performa Top Load Washer:

I am disappointed with the quality of this washer. When washing, the fuzz isnt filtered, it comes out thru the hose and sometimes on the clothes. I do not think it is going to last as long as my last Maytag washer, 30 years. I bought it when I was first married. I cant think of having it it EVER serviced. Sometimes if get out of balance and it wont get all the water out from towels. I have to hang jeans and then fluff them later after water is gone. I Never had to do that with my other washer... and this is a big tub.

Blind Womans Best Friend

from Montrose, CO

Comments about Maytag Performa Top Load Washer:

My Matag is now celebrating it's 14th birthday and still performs as well as it did the day it was purchased. The set included a matching Dryer and the most challenge has been relocation and requiring different pigtails for operation. As plumbing changed I have had to purchase two sets of hose for the washer but other than that no problems.

The system provides multiple wash cycles, water saver controls, and large tub for heavy duty objects. Dryer also provides multi-cycle drying for assorted fabrics and still very cost efficient as an electric dryer can often cost more to operate.

Provides service for family of five now down to three.

Excellent product highly recommend to all families. Value out weighs cost.

Good Dryer, but also SUPER annoying

from Castro Valley, CA

Comments about Maytag Performa Top Load Washer:

We have had this dryer for the last 8 years or so (model pye2300ayw) and it does a great job drying clothes. It does not have any bells or whistles...actually I take that back. The one thing I HATE about this dryer is that it has a buzzing sound that lets you know when the clothes are dry. Well, there's no way to change a setting to turn this sound off, and to make matters worse, it does it when it thinks the clothes are dry but keeps running. Then a few minutes later, it does it again! Then it does it again! It is the ultimate in annoyance when you are on the phone or if you have a baby sleeping in the house. It means you can not turn the dryer on in the middle of the night because at the end of the cycle...BUUUZZZZZ!! A few minutes later another BUUUZZZZ!! There is no way to turn this off that I know of other than walking over to the dryer and opening the door immediately and I have tried to disable it anyway I can. It dries clothes beautifully. It has not had any problems, but I don't want to feel like I'm getting answers wrong on a tv game show whenever I do the laundry. Good simple dryer? Yes. Annoying features? BUUUZZZZ!