3.7

3.7

Pros

Cons

Great Washing Machine

My husband and I purchased this washing machine (along with the matching dryer) a little over 4 years ago when this was pretty new to the market. It was a little bit more expensive than what we were looking to spend, but felt like it was probably a good purchase and investment. I was set on buying a Maytag since that is all my parents and grandparents ever owned and swore by their quality. My grandparents owned a Maytag washer and dryer for over 30 years which were still working when they sold them! My parents owned a set for a little over 20 years before they finally went out! I also did not want one of the newer types of washing machines that has the electrical board where everything is digital or is all buttons versus the old style of knobs. I know those tend to break down more frequently. This was a great compromise to getting the old style I was looking for and having some of the newer, more modern technology. This machine is h.e., so it saves alot on water use. It is extremely quiet, is more than capable of handling very large loads, and cleans laundry well. I also like that it has many options and settings to choose from, yet it is not so many that it is overwhelming. If I had to choose a con, I would say it seems like it takes longer to do a load of laundry in this machine versus other machines I have previously owned or used. I can easily overlook this because there are so many pros to this machine! I just have to make sure I'm not trying to wash something last minute! This is the first h.e. washing machine I've ever owned so it took some time getting used to. For anyone unfamiliar with this type of machine, you put the detergent in, then your laundry, then close the lid and turn it on. Very different from earlier models where you start the machine and it fills with water as youre putting your laundry in. All in all, this is a good quality, reasonably priced washing machine. I am very pleased with my purchase and would definitely recommend it!

Stay away from this one!

I travel a lot because of work and usually stay at apartments. I got to use the Maytag Centennial Washer MVWC400XW during one of my stays and it performed so badly that I had to request for a different washer for the remainder of my stay. Although this machine was easy to use, the clothes were never cleaned well, even after using the recommended products and amount of detergent. The detergent pods did not dissolve completely in the wash cycle. Even after soaking and washing the clothes again, without the detergent, the clothes still had the pod/soap residue on them and was very difficult to remove. I have had to throw a lot of my clothes because of that. It also made loud humming noises on many occasions and often I could get a burning smell during its operation. It used to shut down abruptly after making very loud noises. The spin cycle was very loud even under normal operation. Also, this model did not have a fabric softener tray and I love to use softeners on some of my clothes.

Great Washing Machine

from Jacksonville, Florida

About Me Frequent User

Pros

• Adjustable Settings
  • Clean Clothes Well
  • Energy Efficient
  • Large Capacity
  • Quiet
  • Spins Clothes Dry

Cons

• Long Cycle

• Bedding
  • Everyday Clothes
  • Towels

Good Economical Washer for the Price

from Palm City, FL

Comments about Maytag Centennial Washer:

I bought this washer along with matching dryer to put in a house for my father. I did many loads of laundry and was pleasantly surprised. It works much better than the washer located in my condo. You have various settings for the material being washed. The controls are easy to read. The washer is very easy to use and it did not tear up the delicates which is really important to me. If you don't want to pay a lot for a washer but have good results, purchase this washer.

Great product, great value

Comments about Maytag Centennial Washer:

A great washer for the price. It doesn't handle extremely large loads, but it's efficient and relatively quick - nothing spectacular but it'll wash a load in 20 to 30 minutes. Usually it's done before I even think to check the load.

It also automatically detects the necessary water level. Because of that, it's better not to open the washer door to add more clothes once it starts. We just use Tide pods to prevent a buildup of detergent along the bottom or anything. There are lots of wash options to choose from, which helps, too. You can select an extra rinse, how dirty the clothes are, and water temperature, plus there are different cycles for different type of clothes.

We have a dog and a cat and haven't had any problem with it removing pet hair. There might be better ones out there for that cause, but they'd be more expensive. We have the Maytag Centennial dryer as well which is great. They work well together and are quick.

Not happy!

Comments about Maytag Centennial Washer:

I do not like the fact that you can not control the water level. I asked the salesman about it and he told me that it fills according to the weight of the clothes. Well, every time I do laundry, I go down after it starts agitating and open the lid in order for it to fill completely. Most of the time, I find the washer only half full of water. Will not buy another washer that you can not control water levels.

Energy Efficiency
Good

Cleaning Time
About average

Cleans clothes well AFTER the water covers the clothes.

Very simple

Hate the automatic water levels.

Haven't had a problem with it yet, other than the water level issue. Had it for a few years.

Stay away from this one!

Very Energy Efficient

Comments about Maytag Centennial Washer:

I purchased this Maytag washer in February 2013 and I am very happy with it so far. This is a low water wash that saves money on energy bills. I like the extra large capacity and was wondering how well it would clean without an agitator but I was very pleased with the cleaning power. The only downside is there is no softener reservoir so you must have a downy ball for liquid fabric softener. I hope this high quality machine lasts me for many years to come.

Energy Efficiency
It saves me a lot of money on my water bill.

Cleaning Time
It is washing a lot more clothes but takes a lot longer to wash them, it takes like an hour to wash.

Sometimes I've had to rinse clothes again due to the downy ball not working I wish it had a softener reservoir.

I wish it didn't lock the lid down in order to work.

It really needs a softener reservoir, what happens if downy quits making the ball, there would be no way to add softener to the wash because you basically have to cancel the wash to get the lid open to add softener or re-rinse and that's wasting water which defeats the purpose of the energy saving machine.

I think it's built very well and Maytag is a high quality brand.

• Cleaning Time:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Maytag Centennial Washer:

I love this washer! Its a bit loud but cleans really well with great capacity!

Cleaning Time
It takes much longer for one load, something like 45+ minutes on regular cycle (no extra rinses or heavy duty or anything)

Cleans well, and I'm able to put much much more clothes in than my old washer with the agitator!

I love that the options are easy and it even has a clean washer option!

I haven't had any trouble yet.

function over form

from Manteca, CA

Comments about Maytag Centennial Washer:

in the 2 months i have had this washer it has meet my needs. it has a decent capcity for the price range and many load options for choice.

Energy Efficiency
too hard to tell if it will impact the energy bill but i am able to do fewer loads because of the larger capcity tub.

Cleaning Time
tub wipes free of debris easlity except for the shiort people because the tub is deep, they may need a stool. exterior wipes up easily.

clothes of various types and levels of soil have washed clean. the cycle options make this easy. the machine checking the load amount to pick the best level of water helps the water bill.

knobs and dials are easy to read and adjust for your preffered setting.

good size and easy to use function knobs and dials allowing for choice to get clothes clean for your needs.

a standard washer. nothing fancy, should last a normal span of time, but maybe longer since not as many loads need to be done with nice capicity size.

New Technology - Good Clean Clothes

from Winona, MN

Comments about Maytag Centennial Washer:

The first time I opened the Maytag Centennial washer I saw that something was missing. There is no center agitator. I learned that this was a new high efficiency washer. It is labeled "ecoconserve" and has a Energy Star symbol. It uses much less water compared to our old center agitator washing machine.

Energy Efficiency
This washer uses much less water that the traditional washers with the center agitator. Using less water means less costs in both heating energy and water usage.

Cleaning Time
There is a time difference between how long a load in our new washer takes compared to how long a load took in our old washer. It seems to take a little longer now but this because it needs time to think. Now, after you program the washer with the basic requirements like wash and rinse temperatures, and regular or delicate wash, the machine figures out how much clothing is in the washer and how much water it needs.

The clothes are clean when I transfer them to the dryer and when they are removed from the dryer. We are still using the same brand of detergent and the clothes are clean just like we like them. No complaints

This is a smart clothes washer. You shut it and it figures out how to run itself. It figures out how much water to use based on how much clothing is in the washer. It took me a while to figure this out in the beginning so I was very confused when I closed the lid and nothing happened! The lid locks but nothing seems to happen for a while. But I walked away and later, when I return to transfer the load the wash cycle was complete and the clothes were washed.

The design is very new and different. it looks a little fancier and more complex than our last Maytag but it is still very easy to set the machine to the desired settings.

Shortly after we got the washer it had a problem and stopped working. We called the dealer and came over right away. A missing bolt caused problems to the unit. They rebuilt the unit replacing all damaged parts and the machine was as good as new. The Maytag washer ran great before the problem and even better after. They said it was a fluke error and based on how well it ran since the rework I tend to believe them. We have had other Maytag appliances in the past and this is the first time we have ever had a problem with one. Compared to other manufacturers this is a good record of dependability.

would never buy again!

Comments about Maytag Centennial Washer:

I rate this product as very poor.

Energy Efficiency
The efficiency is only fair.

Cleaning Time
Small loads take forever to wash. If you need to stop the machine in the middle of a cycle, it re-sets itself to the beginning and has to wash all over again. Then you don't know if you should put in more detergent or not.

My clothes come out gray and dingy, no matter what detergent I use. Even though I stack the clothes as recommended, the arms and legs are al twisted and many times the jeans or towels are still wet and I have to put them through a drain and spin cycle...more time/more energy used.

I can't say anything good about this machine!

It's like a piece of junk.