Other Hair Colorings:
Manic Panic
A1218
Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream

Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream

Pros

• Easy to use (3)

• Ease of Application:

A++ For Semi-Permanent Hair Color!

Manic Panic simply does the trick. While other semi-permanent have came and went only to find the new kid on the block it rises above the competition new and old and takes the title for the best un-typical hair dye that you're going to find. Bold colors, timid pastels, you name it and you probably can find it within this brand. It's definitely not intended for the shy so if that is you then that's the downside. If you're okay with the attention such nice colors get you then try it and it wont disappoint.

This hair dye gets the job done. What you see is what you get with the packaging the clear see through colors leave you without having to imagine what color your hair will turn out. I've found the packaging itself to be more telling and honest then the swatches that some stores have showing the little strips of dyed hair. Trust your own eyes and simply check out the package for the color or colors you're trying to go with.

Ease of Application
Perhaps I'm bias because of being at this hair coloring stuff for so long but I can't ever recall this Manic Panic being anything but simple. I would actually recommend this product for even the newbie as it lends to your hair the exact look you're going for when you decide on using crayon type colors. It turns a first timer into a pro and did I mention its addicting, yes addicting. Once you've tried your favorite shade of blue then skies the limit as you explore dipping, highlighting, chunking, striping, and only to eventually toss in the towel and go all in.

Fun colors, but too messy for adults!

Back in high school, Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream was popular in large part because it came in cool colors and parents would actually let their kids use it. As an adult, I look back on it with fondness, but I think there are better (namely, less messy) semi-permanent options for purple/burgundy highlights (particularly, Clairol Natural Instincts).

Some colors definitely worked better than others. I have dark hair and was a fan of Purple Haze and Rock 'n Roll Red, both of which just added fun depth to my highlights (since I refused to bleach my hair first) and lasted for weeks. One of my close friends was a blond and decided he really wanted Rockabilly blue hair. It was fantastically vibrant for a few days, then it started turning green-ish, and eventually ended up a weird grey-green. He ended up re-dying it Lizard Green, which faded over time without discoloring.

Ease of Application
Manic Panic is really messy, and anything it touches will be discolored. My mom even replaced the shower curtain liner after the first time I used it...

Manic Panic is love

from Rogers, AR

About Me Product Junkie

Pros

• Easy To Use

Cons

• Messy

Comments about Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream:

I am notorious for coloring my hair bright red. I always do my permanent color, and after using that color I ALWAYS do an application of manic panic. Always. I usually get my desired color when I color my hair without manic panic, however, I always add manic panic to mix because red is a color that fade very quickly, but I get more time between re-colors when I use manic panic, AND my color is a tad bit bolder and brighter and shinier with manic panic. Manic Panic is like color enhancer when it comes to red hair color and never ever color my hair red without using manic panic. I'm obsessed. Love it!! I will say this, have a tint bowl and brush and your own gloves because mani panic comes with none of this and it can be messy and it stains.

• Permanent

Always girst choice

from San Juan, Tx

About Me Beauty Conscious

Pros

• Easy To Use
    • Gentle
    • Great Color
    • Long-Lasting
    • Lots of variety
    • Natural Look
    • No hair damage
    • Reasonably priced

Cons

• Bleach not included

• New Look

Comments about Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream:

I have always used splat, but then I discovered manic panic at a Sally's Beauty store. And since then always used it. I absolutely adore it! I love the colors they have. The variety for the many times I want to change it up. It's so gentle with my hair. It doesn't damage it, and always leaves it soft. The sleek colors and brightness are magnificent. I will always use it. And always recommend it whenever anyone asks about my hair color. Manic panic lasts me a good half year.

• Semi-Permanent

The colors are very bright but they but wash away soon

from Denver, Co

About Me Beauty Conscious

Pros

• Easy To Use
    • Great Color

Cons

• Doesn't Last

• New Look

Comments about Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream:

I think it's a good product if you don't want the same color for much time.

• Temporary

Great variety, nice colors, just a bit messy

Comments about Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream:

I like this brand, it has a fun variety of colors, it's not hard to find, almost every beauty supplier has it. The only thing is that it's a bit messy to use because of the bottle and it doesn't hold for the time I wish it did; I've used other brands that hold for a little more time

You can be sure that the color you buy is the color you get

Easy but messy

• Ease of Application:

A++ For Semi-Permanent Hair Color!

from Albuquerque, NM

• Ease of Application:

Manic Panic is good for fun colors.

from Modesto, CA

Comments about Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream:

I really like Manic Panic (I sort of wish I liked it more) they are a good brand if you want to get some crazy fun colors and one of the most well known (Easiest to get a hold of). I only have minor issues with them but they are all understandable like having to bleach your hair before the color treatment.

As long as you do not mind bleaching your hair, Manic Panic is effective. But you have to lighten your hair (And sometimes that means going as white as possible with out making your hair fall out) to get the right color.

Ease of Application
    Manic Panic does not really give you a good way to get the dye from the tub to your hair. Most hair dyes come with a bottle and some gloves, but not this. If you go out and buy a brush it makes it LOADS easier to actually get the stuff on your hair without making a huge mess. Also this stuff stains like crazy, okay? So I do not understand why they do not just add a little miniature brush along with it since they are not to expensive.

• Ease of Application:

Best for unnatural hair colors, but I wish it was better.

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream:

This is the best brand that I have found for unnatural hair color dye, but it still isn't all that great. It fades very quickly. After the second wash, there is a serious difference, even a couple shades. It doesn't last as long on my natural hair as it does on my hair when it has been bleached, possibly because it comes out more vibrant. It doesn't smell too good, but it doesn't really bother me. They have a humongous selection of colors, so it's great when I am in a creative mood. I have tried many shades from blues, greens, reds, etc. They are all their true colors on bleached hair. It is very easy to apply, but it can stain your shower. I had to scrub a blue dye to get it to come off. The container is nice and I like how you can scoop it out when you're wearing gloves and apply it straight to your hair, instead of squirting it. It's very easy to touch up, so that kind of makes up for how fast it fades. It does not dry out my hair at all or do any visible damage. If anything, it makes it a bit shinier.

funky colors

Comments about Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream:

I used this color for my 16 year old daughter. She wanted to do something different and as this is semi-permanent I did not think it would hurt to try before Halloween. We use the electric blue first on the tips, and I have to say I was disappointed in the product. Usually you can expect a semi-permanent hair color to last at least through 20 washes. Not so for this dye, we were lucky to have it last 5 washes.

The color does not stay in long and needs to be reapplied on a weekly basis. This is time consuming and it does not make sense to use especially if you want to keep the color for a long period of time. Especially when their may be another product that will last longer. I have noticed there are more permanent dyes in fun colors out there than there were in the past. I would consider this option when shopping for a out there color.

Ease of Application
    This was easy to apply with gloves, otherwise you hands will be what ever color you used for a few days. It is messy and I would protect any surfaces the dye may come in contact with. I found it easiest to apply with a brush.

I dig it.

Comments about Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream:

I give manic panic an overall 9 review. My biggest beef with it is that I use Splat most of the time and for the price, It's almost worth it. With Splat, I get bleach, gloves, and the semi-permanent dye. With Manic panic, it's only the dye. I know this is the case with almost all semi permanent dyes, but I really dig the all in one package, especially when I'm paying pretty much the exact same price. One of my favorite things about Manic Panic though is it doesn't dye the skin as long as you simply wipe it away with something right after you take your gloves off when finished dying. So if you somehow manage to get this all over your forehead, cheek, and on the base of your neck...There's really no problem.

I used the "bad boy blue" dye. It looks absolutely gorgeous, even after a few washes. It stays in fairly well. Once you get about two weeks in, certain spots do tend to green up a bit, but honestly that's expected in pretty much all blue dyes.

Ease of Application
    I really do dig how easy it is to apply Manic Panic. Unlike having to fight with the squeeze bottles (that always seem to magically leave dye on the toilet, the sink, the floor, and somehow even the walls). It's in a small round container and you just unscrew the lid and stick your fingers in to get it on the gloves. It's thick enough to not be liquid in your hands, but thin enough to be easily applied. Overall, I'd give application a 10/10. No complaints from this girl.

• Ease of Application:

Fun colors, great for temp change up

Comments about Manic Panic Semi-Permanent Hair Color Cream:

This product is perfect if you are looking for a temporary change in hair color. I love that they make some of these colors in glow in the dark and highlight ability for dark hair. Vegan product so no harsh chemicals. However you have to keep this product in your hair for a long period to really get the color to stay. Gloves required or you will have colorful hands.