3.9
Maestro 3100
Magellan Portable GPS Navigator

Magellan Portable GPS Navigator

3.9

Gets you where you need to go

The Magellan Maestro 3100 is a great deal for the money. Being one who is not very good with directions, I wanted a GPS system that would be reliable yet not break the bank. Through research, I found this unit, which has proven to be a good choice over the year I've owned it.

The pros of this unit are plenty. It's cost is a main one; I purchased this unit for about 1/3 the price of other similar units, sacrificing only some of the bells and whistles, which I didn't feel I needed. It's ease of use was beneficial, as I was able to use it right out of the packaging. I also loaned it to friends and family, who were also able to use it with minimal explanation. Also, living in a rural area, I wasn't sure how many of the small roads and standard POIs it would show, but it has them all, even a small full-service gas station in town. I have also had it get me to where I'm going every time I've used it, so it is reliable.

The cons have been minimal and I've learned to deal with them. If it's not on for a bit of time before you begin driving, it takes awhile for the signal to pick up where you actually are instead of where it was turned off. It also tries to get you back on the original route if you miss a turn rather than calculating a new route. The number of POIs is rather low (which I knew about before purchasing), so if you don't have an address for a business, it may not recognize it. One feature I wish it has was the ability to enter multiple destinations, which would be beneficial in planning trips.

Overall, I have found this to be an effective GPS system that I would recommend to anyone wanting a basic system.

Okay for it's price

This GPS is pretty decent but not something I really enjoyed using. It’s screen is kinda small but that’s to be expected given it’s price. If you’re looking for a good budget GPS I would think long and hard before getting this one. I would weight your options and again check your price ranges. I mean this GPS isn’t bad for it’s main function of being a GPS but it lacks many features and at times can frustrated you. It’s loading system and tracking system sometimes lags and days where there are clouds can something slow the GPS. It may just be the location or maybe the day I used it but it seems realiable if you give the GPS time to track which for me is not a feature I enjoy. I would like a GPS to load fast and give directions fast such as in a event of a wrong direction. If you’re looking for a simple GPS to get you places the Magellan - Maestro 3100 GP is not a bad budget GPS but if you’re looking for one with better features I would continue to do my research.

i really like the magellan

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I love the Magellan gps. It has may options and get the satellite signal fast. it has map update and good review.

Processing Speed
it is 100% good. it is very easy to navigate. love it.

Map Quality & Accuracy
it is very accurate and has update. Love the accuracy of the map and the street update.

very easy to navigate. love the way how easy the navigation.

• Processing Speed:
  • Map Quality & Accuracy:

instant map of where you are...a little annoying.

from Hancock, MI

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

The dang thing turns on every time I start the car unless I unplug it, and then the plug thingy swings to and fro.  It also has a touch screen which won't work with gloves but you can use a pencil eraser.My Lowrance GPS (ancient) has a really neat thing where it shows you the path you've taken..this one doesn't.  It's also pretty insistent on you taking the path it selects sometimes...not always...but that can be really annoying especially if you don't put in your destination and then you turn it on when you're half way there and you just want a map and it keeps telling you how to go home unless you stop and reset it.If you need to go somewhere that you're not sure of it will really help...but it also doesn't zoom out w/o losing a lot of detail....so you can't see what's a mile ahead, just where you currently are.

Great little gadget for finding your way around....very accurate

from Westminster, MD

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

Just recently purchased this affordable gps and I am very happy with it. I live in a rural area and was worried about some of the smaller roads being listed, but they are all there. Very accurate and easy to use at a great price. Haven't had to download any new maps yet.

fast and conveient

from Lutz, FL

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I have had the Magellan Maestro 3100 for a year now and I like it a lot.  It is super easy to use and loads my directions quickly.  The main problme I have had with other GPS units is the speed.  I usually only have mine on when I am using it, and I only use it when I am lost or don't know where I am going.  Other units have taken so long to find my "current location, " that by the time it finds me, I have already had to make decisions on which way to turn and often have chosen the wrong way.  This GPS is so fast, I have never had a problem finding my way.

It's very easy to use-- auto fill-ins of cities and street names, lighted back for nighttime driving and spoken turn-by-turn directions.   You are given ample time to make your turns and a bell chimes when the turn approcahes so you don't accidentally turn on a road just before or after where you are supposed to.

Holds charge for a long time so you don't have to keep it plugged in.  This is useful so you can take it out of the car with you or drive different cars or rentals a lot.

Okay for it's price

from Riverside, CA

This Magellan Maestro Sucks

from Greensboro, NC

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I purchased it thinking it was a great gps and realized that the maps on it were very out of date and did not include the new major highways build around my city. Map updates are extremely expensive. There is no software or anything to back up maps or to create maps for it. Even the new updated maps did not include new roads and highways.

Good GPS my Magellan - too bad for auto only

from San Bernardino, CA

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I acquired this GPS my Magellen as a gift to myself (heyeveryone needs a littel self spoiling ever now and then). It works great - just plug in the charger and go.  The software it comes with makes it easy o use and program in the places I want to go - I like that I can use it when im on the go to look upnearby resources like gas stations, food or grocery stores, and the ever needed coffee shops.  It really is handy and ive never yet been guided incorrectly.  the mechanical voice is easy on the ear and the may is eas to see and follow.  Only trouble Ive run into are new developments in my area that were not there when the device was prgrams due to recent construction but a software and mapping update can solve that fix - and its domthign that i think any GPS unit will encounter as the world continues to develop.  The only thing i dont like is it is for use in the auto only - once it gets unlugged from teh charger the battery has a very limited life so it cant be used for walking or foot exploration and certainly not something id take on a hike.  I havnt ha any trouble with mountain or rural navigation.  Not bad for the car use!

great small size

from Akron, OH

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

I have had this GPS for about 1 year. I do not use it often but when i do it seems to do the job. The picture quality and color are great. the sound or speaker is also great. my only complaint is that some times it seems to be a little had to navigate around. It could be that i just need to read the directions. I have had a TomTom in the past and it just seemed easily to to navigate around within the system. I do have a question that I have not found the answer to yet. How do you get updates? My tomtom had a cable that i connected to the internet to get any updates. This one did not come with any thing nor did it state any where that i could find about updates. So any new roads that have recently been added do not seem to be showing up when searching. We are looking for a house and have been driving by multiply houses, so the trip options is working very good. you can programs multiple stops along the way. it is nice because you do not have to stop and reprogram between every house. you can just add them all at the beginning and be done with it.  I do however with that it would place them in the most logical order as far as distance so that you are not going out of your way. It may do this but i have yet to figure it out. However no that i have rambled on and on I would hightly recommend this small sleek GPS. The winder adapter also work very good and stays put on the window without any problems. Price was also very comparable to other units at most retail stores.

hey i found it

from Bayville, NY

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

so i'm always getting lost even with the best and easist directions...this has been a lifesaver even though it might not always go the best way it always goes gets me there and when i mess up and go the wrong way it automactiaclly and quickly reroutes me and gets me back on course

plus i can take it with me and not leave it in my car or take it with me when a friend drives.

I love my Magellan

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Magellan Portable GPS Navigator:

Is very accurate, I love the fact that you can put your cell phone on blue tooth and answer through the magellan so you don't have to find your phone while driving. It will also let you know if traffic is bad and how to go around it.