Other GPS Devices:

Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator

Pros

Cons

Navigate with Ease

**Garmin Nuvi 255** -  I really like this Gps navigation system. I really like the fact that its a voice prompt system which helps you at times when you desparately concentrating on the driving rather than searching for the particular place. The digitally elevation maps gives you zooming effects and big picture of the surrounding terrain. Its very simple to use and comes very handy and fit in your pocket. It comes with a rechargeable lithium battery where you can carry anywhere and charge your system. It announces the name of the exists and name of the streets. Its very helpful whenever i visit new places. Its touch sensor screen allows to just touch and use the system. Very simple to enter address and search for it. It gives all the information about nearest hospitals, fast foods,fuel stations etc. I never forget to carry this gps whenever iam on a road trip. Simply enter the destination place and this gps will take you exactly to that place. Very good gps system.

It will get you there, but sometimes in a very roundabout way!

We bought a Garmin Nuvi 255wt on sale this holiday season and were excited to try it out, figuring we would not have to worry about maps and or printing directions off any more. While it does give you a sense of security of always knowing where you are, it doesn't always take the best or most logical route to get to a destination. We tried it out around our home home town when driving home and instead of taking us down the main roads which got us there quicker, it would take us on all of these dinky little side streets with a much slower mph. I think it picks the shortest route instead of the quickest route. Another annoying feature is if there is road work, such as new highway construction then the Garmin shows you driving off road and instructs you about every minute to turn to get back on the "main" road and when you don't constantly recalucaltes, this gets a little annoying. My last concern with the Garmin is the frequency that it loses satellite connection. If you have to make several turns in a short amount of time, and the satellite goes out then you are not going to know where you should be going. In the end it will get you there, but there are definitely some kinks to work out!

I would not want to drive without my Garmin Nuvi again!

from Kings Mountain, NC

Comments about Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator:

I have heard others complaining about the brand of navigation devices they had purchased and mine out performs all of them. I love my Garmin Nuvi and carry it with me in all my automobiles and my motorhome. Together, we have traveled across the United States several times without getting lost, no not one time thanks to my Garmin Nuvi .

Processing Speed
The Garmin Nuvi is very fast on starting up and finding your location. The downloads to update do take way too long though, my only complaint.

Map Quality & Accuracy
My Garmin Nuvi has not been off many times but with common sense you can get anywhere you want by watching the signs and using it.

The Garmin Nuvi is so simple that my husband can use it and he can't use a computer so that should sum this up pretty good. I cannot think of a way to make it any easier or user friendly. We use the Garmin Nuvi to find super Wal-Mart's when we are traveling and of course other things also but it seems that we are always needing to find a Wal-Mart.

Lost & Found

Comments about Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator:

I enjoyed this product prior to purchasing a car with factory GPS. I never had any problems with the unit. I am hard of hearing and have problems with volume selection especially on cell phones. No problem with volume with this unit. The fact that you can update the unit is very appealing as your unit will always contain new road additions! There are more expense units out there, but this one works quite well!

Garmin Rocks!

from Landrum, SC

Comments about Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator:

I recently purchased this Garmin GPS navigator system and love it!! I love how easy it is to use! This was a Christmas present for myself and its one of the best GPS systems I have had. I really like the voice turn by turn directions makes finding roads so easy! I never leave home without it.

AFFORDABLE

from Clarkfield, MN

Comments about Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator:

The navigation is right on. I like that it warns you that your turns are coming up before you get there & it is too late. It tells you which lane to be in, if exits are on left or right which is handy during congested travel. All locations that I have wanted are on it. The search is easy to use.

Good purchase

from Long Beach, CA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator:

I live in southern California and when I travel downtown, this has saved me from disaster. I just got rid of my iphone and its gps, direction feature so the Garmin has really stepped up in getting me where I need to go. The voice is clear and easy to hear. It gives me alternate routes to avoid traffic issues and it generally gives me enough time to get in the right lane for the next instruction it will give me. I do have an older outdated model so not everything is updated software wise, but as far as getting me from point a to point b it does the trick.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Summarize this product in one sentence.

from Peoria, AZ

Comments about Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator:

Easy to use and seems to offer more options for services such as hotels and food

Easy to use....love it

Processing Speed
This was a replacement updated unit and it seems to have more recovery speed than the old one

Map Quality & Accuracy
we just used this for a trip and it was accurate - did take us a different route than we normally do but we were trying to avoid snow areas. Not sure about this route as it was further but I think it was what I ask for.....you can avoid freeways if you don't like driving on freeways by the way you program your unit

Seems these unit just get better. Instructions are easier to understand and not as irritating and you just follow instructions to get it ready to go the first time.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Average GPS device, accuracy fits price range

Comments about Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator:

Takes several minutes to connect to satellites on start-up, delaying travel if destination is unknown. Additionally, falsely recalculates and repositions car icon on GPS screen from time to time. However, general functionality makes it ok.

Processing Speed
Delay in satellite connectivity makes processing speed seem very slow.

Map Quality & Accuracy
Not up to date with current roads, and loses position from time to time.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Won't go anywhere without her!

from Hughson, CA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator:

I love my Garmin GPS and won't leave home without her. I'm a very nervous driver as it is, and one of my biggest fears is getting lost. Since I've had Gretta (my Garmin), I've really ventured out. It's super easy to use and I have yet to come across a road or something that she isn't familiar with. Her voice is clear and not annoying in the least...in fact it's a bit reassuring. She gives me plenty of notice when I'll have to make a turn or lane change so I have time to get over and get prepared. The price on this was truly reasonable and worth every cent. I highly recommend this GPS system for anybody looking for a "co-pilot" that won't get you lost!

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Great to have when you're traveling the U.S

from Old Westbury, NY

Comments about Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator:

I have a car that has a built in navigation system and I prefer to use the Garmin nuvi 255W instead. It's much more accurate and easy to use. I always keep it with me in the car and when I travel the country. Sometimes it can send you around your destination, but if you get and idea of the area you're aiming for, then you can plan your route accordingly. I've had it for a few years now, and I haven't had any techincal problems to date.

• Map Quality & Accuracy:

Acceptable budget GPS, with user-friendly design

from Atkins, VA

Comments about Garmin nuvi 255 255W 255WT Portable GPS Navigator:

I've tried several brands of GPS, and this one probably works the most effectively in my area, with a decent ratio of features-to-purchase-price. Its also requires a fairly low skill level to operate effectively, and is easy to get used to using while driving, compared to other brands that have slightly awkward design appartus.