Other Early Development Toys:
Learning Toys
LeapFrog

Pros

Cons

Will keep your kids entertained for years!

The LeapFrog Fridge Farm refrigerator magnet is one of those few really affordable children's toys that will serve you well for years and year to come.

The set comes with the barn...Read complete review

The set comes with the barn magnet itself as well as 10 animal magnets: a head and tail end for a cow, sheep, pig, duck, and horse. When any animal piece is put into the barn, it makes the sound of that animal. When a head and tail are present together and the pieces are pushed, the barn sings a song. If the pieces match, the song is about matching, and it ends with the sound of the animal the child has built. If the pieces do not match, the song is about the "silly" animal the child has built. Particularly given that this toy has been popular in our house with children as young as 15 months, it is nice that children are rewarded for their attempts at making the toy work, not only when they make the "correct" animal. When a complete matching animal is built, the toy does alternate between singing and offering animal facts, such as: "Did you know... cows make milk?"

In addition to the animal-building function of the toy, there is also a purely musical function. The LeapFrog character on the barn is a button which, when pushed, plays a brief song. The songs are of the standard children's variety, "Polly Wolly Doodle" and the like, and the arrangements are simple. Given that the button is easily pushed and provides hours and hours or entertainment for little people, I have come to appreciate the simplicity of the music. If you have to hear "Polly Wolly Doodle" 10,000 times, at least it's not an annoying rendition of the song. In addition, there are two volume choices on the barn, so you can also try to ensure that it's not too loud.

If you have small children in the house, you will want to keep track of the animal magnets. They're too big to choke on, but there are enough of them that they can get lost. But in six years of playing with this toy, we've only managed to lose (recently) the tail end of the horse. And given the number of pieces in most children's toys these days, this is actually quite reasonable. If you have any magnetic surface (refrigerator, stove, dishwasher) and a child looking for years of entertainment at a very reasonable price, this is a truly excellent choice.

good quality but assess your needs

As with all toys and other products made by Leap Frog...the fridge farm is sturdy and will last through several children...that being said, depending on the cost and your life style, take a minute before buying...  We received one of these and one of the Leap Frog alphabet fridge toys forour oldest son...he enjoyed the toy and it's always nice when your kids are in the kitchen with you, but he wanted to take the pieces and sprad them around the house...As we ended up with three more children, this is one of the toys we gave away to friends whose children did not toss toys all over the house.  If you receive this as a gift, keep it...you can easliy sell this in consignemnt if you are so inclined if it does not work for your family or you get tired of sin`ging toys.  If you see one at a yard sale, grab it...However, this is not a toy I would buy for your last child.  As well as Leap Frog toys are made, this is another example of missing pieces negating the life span of the toy...if you lose a Lego, you can keep playing...if you lose farm pieces, nothin' you can do.

Fridge Farm is great kitchen fun

Comments about LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm:

My son got the fisher price fridge farm as a gift for his first birthday. Both he and his younger sister have spend many happy moments playing with it, matching the animals or not matching to make a silly match. It sings a cute song for each match that you make and they love making the silly matches like a "pig duck" - that's silly. My youngest is now 3 and still enjoys playing with it on the fridge. I love it because they can be playing where I am and there are not pieces of toys all over the floor that I have to step over and/or clean up. All the pieces are magnetic and stick to the fridge easily. I love that there is a volume control button as well as an on off switch, though it is easy enough for the kids to control. This is the perfect toy for a child at the sitting/crawling stage that will grow with them. We have gifted this to several other friends for birthdays as it is one of our favorite toddler toys.

Comments about LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm:

I purchased the LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm for my son when he was 2. I had previously purchased the Alphabet one as well as the vehicle/car wash one (also by Leapfrog) so I somewhat knew what to expect with the fridge farm. I like the fact that it has two sound settings. My son liked mixing up the animals to be silly but also got excited and clapped when he got them right. :) My son is now 4 and he still plays with this toy. His sisters and nieces enjoy playing with it as well. The only downside is that it doesn't seem to hold the kids attention for too long. There are only a few animal choices and they seem to get boring after a short period of time. Either way, the kids still keep going back to it though. You really can't go wrong purchasing anything from Leapfrog as they have great toys to teach little ones in different ways, and this toy is no exception. You won't regret buying this. :)

Great toy! Teaches matching, colors, and animals.

from Buffalo, MN

Comments about LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm:

This is a great toy. We got it as a gift for my first baby. The people who gave it to us had one and loved it. It is now on baby number 3 and all three kids have loved it. As soon as my daughter discovered this she now heads straight for it. It's a great learning toy as well. Allowing kids to match up animals to create a whole animal or mix up the animals and create a goofy animal. For example a cow and a pig and the toy will sing a song and sing "a cow pig" and say "that's silly." Helps teach them matching, also makes animal sounds, and teaches colors. The animals are different colors and when you put the magnetic animals into the toy it will say "purple cow." I love how our baby has a toy to play while I'm working in the kitchen that is up off the floor. The older kids have rediscovered the toy and are playing with it again. It's fun to watch the three interact and sing along with the music. Highly recommended.

Keeps my girls busy, even if they can't do it properly.

from Stoughton, WI

Comments about LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm:

We receive this as a gift for my neighbors, because their two twin boys absolutely loved this toy. I think it's a great toy to have on the fridge for when you're making dinner and doing things in the kitchen. my kids always want to be around me and in whatever room that I am in, so this makes it an ideal toy to begin with. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. My 3 year old has been able to match the animals properly for a while now. And enjoys the little facts that it tells about the animals when you put them together and push on them. My one year old is just starting to be able to match the two up correctly, although both had trouble at this age with putting the pieces in the correct way. When my one year old was a little younger, she'd like to press on Tad on the top and danced to the little tunes that he sings. It's not a super annoying toy, but the sayings do get kind of tiring after a while. I do like that the main unit has heavy magnetism, but the pieces are easily taken off the fridge and thrown across the room. The unit can also be used at the table if they are sitting and waiting for dinner. All in all, I would recommend this toy for a child from the ages of about 1 to 3.

both my kids loved the leap frog magnetic fridge farm

from Mabelvale, AR

Comments about LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm:

I would definitely recommend this product. Both of my children male and female loved this toy. It made the farm noises which they thought was so awesome. I would recommend this to teach your child because its super fun for them. O and its magnetic so fridge fun as well

my kids love it!

from Royersford, PA

Comments about LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm:

So really the only complaint I have is that they play it too much! It is on our fridge so I hear it all the time. They laugh so hard when they make a mismatch because of the silly song it sings and then at the end they say, that's silly. It has become just a joke that they do it on purpose just to here it say, that's silly! Very cute!

Great toy with a bad paint job

Comments about LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm:

I like that this toy sticks to the fridge and has a sense of humor when you put a mixed animal in, but the paint comes off too easily. My child chewed off the paint on the pig. I don't think paint should come off a baby toy so easily even if it doesn't have lead in it.

Fun for kids

from Buffalo, NY

Comments about LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm:

My daughter got this as a birthday gift for her first birthday. It is cute the songs are cute and kids think it is funny when they make a silly combination. The only disadvantage is that my daughter didn't understand why two heads didn't fit or two backs. Now that she is older (2-1/2) she is able to play with it the way it was designed and no frustration! The only thing now - my 9 month old likes playing with it!!

A great learning toy!!

from Waco, TX

Comments about LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm:

This was one of my favorite toys my daughter received for her birthday. There is a strong magnet that holds this on the fridge, even with a one year old pulling on it. It also can be played with on the floor or in a highchair.  One negative is that there are quite a few pieces, but that is true of most toys and this one is really worth the hassle.

My favorite part of this toy is how well it teaches kids about animals (and colors). It they make a correct match, they get a song that names the animal, the color, and the sound it makes. If they place in two different animals, it tells them what they made ("a pig-duck") and then still tells them the color and the sound followed by "that's silly". Since my daughter does not really know her animals at one year old, it is nice that there is still a song for the wrong combination and that it turns it into a learning opportunity.

My daughter's favorite part so far is the chicken that is at the top that just plays songs when pressed.

LeapFrog Fridge Toy is a Favorite of my kids!

from Selkirk, NY

Comments about LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm:

The LeapFrog Magnetic Fridge Farm toy is a great toy for infants or toddlers.  Both my children have gotten hours worth of play with this toy.  They love the animal sounds and matching the animals.  It teaches them colors, animals, animal sounds and how to match the front of the animal with the back.  This is a great toy to keep in the kitchen on the fridge or dishwasher for the children to play with.  It is durable and holds up well.  One down side is we noticed this acutally scratched our dishwasher.  Over time the back magnets protective coating must have worn off and when the children moved it, it caused numerous scratches on our new dishwasher.  The magnets are pretty strong and I like that there is a volume control.  You can place it on a lower volume with is a nice feature.  The songs are catchy and my children love them.  All in all it is a cute toy and keeps them busy.  Just do not be surprised if you hear the tune so much you start humming or singing along.