4.9
KSMC50
KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer

KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer

4.9

Pros

• Capacity (3)
  • Works quietly (3)

Cons

• Heavy (4)

• Cakes & cookies (4)
  • Meringue (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Avid cook (3)

It's the boss

We used a Kitchenaid Commercial Series mixer in the lodge where I did seasonal work for a couple of years. It's a big beast of a machine that does several big jobs very well. This is not ideal for individualized servings of anything. Only large batches for this monster.

Mixing Performance
I mostly used the flat beater for cobbler batter, that was what the mixer was used for the most often day in and day out. Every morning the cook on first shift would use the hook to mix dough for biscuits. I got to take on that task a time or three, so I can tell you it works well. And the whisk did get pressed into service occasionally, usually when the owner would make some of her specialty pies. This mixer just plain works well, although we were using it primarily for large batches. We still used ordinary wire whisk beaters to hand mix things like individual servings of eggs. This isn't really a machine you want to break out for small jobs.

It's a stand mixer. Dough gets stuck in the metal bowl if you don't clean it right away, and on the attachments. It's large and needs to be taken apart before cleaning. All of that is par for the course with a large stand mixer. The bowl is too big for most home dishwashing machines. The attachments will fit but be prepared to give over most of a shelf for them.

This is fairly simple to use. Flip up the beater arm and put on the desired attachment, affix the bowl securely and then flip the arm back down. Mix your batter, then flip the arm back up and remove the bowl. The only thing that might represent a hiccup to your flow is that I recommend you stop right there and take the attachment off and put it in the sink to soak. You'll be scrubbing later if you don't.

This is a well designed mixer overall. It mixes large batches with ease and doesn't go on the fritz.

This is a durable machine. In the couple of years I had access to one it never broken down or even gave us any machine quirks to put up with. It just purred along doing its job.

This produce has some drawbacks

While the kitchen aide mixer is extremely useful when creating just about any dish, I find that this product is very hard to move. It feels like it weighs over 50 pounds. It also takes up a lot of space. When you have a small kitchen like I do, there aren't a lot of places to store it. We had to resort to keeping ours on top of the fridge because we don't have enough cabinet space. Getting it down when we need it is very difficult because, as I said before, it is heavy. Other than these two flaws, though, I find this mixer is very useful and relatively user friendly. I use mine for everything!

Some of the attachments can be hard to clean.

Very user friendly.

I love that mine is red!

It's the boss

Standard in my Kitchen

Comments about KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I have had this mixer for several years and find it works just as well today as when I first purchased it. It is very sturdy, not too noisy at all, and simple to clean up after each use.

Mixing Performance
I am an avid baker so this mixer is used very frequently. It has always done the job no matter what I am mixing - cookies, cake batter, whipping cream, bread dough - it powers through them all. Even with a stiffer dough I don't find excessive noise and I don't notice the mixer heating up.

The mixer is very simple in its construction and design which helps make it easy to clean. I put the attachments in the top rack of the dishwasher as well as the bowl. For the mixer itself I use a clean damp cloth to wipe it down and it comes clean no problem. The only thing about this mixer is it is fairly heavy, so it is a little bit (but just a bit) of a beast to move around on the counter so I can clean it from all sides.

Dead simple and everything is very obvious. The level to raise the bowl up and down is nice and smooth and has a large enough handle that someone with arthritic hands would be able to grasp it okay but it's not such a large handle that a smaller person would have any difficulty. The mixing speed lever is straightforward and easy to position just where you need it. The bowl and attachments go on and off with no difficulty.

Limited colours in this model but otherwise it is looks great.

Mentioned before but my mixer has been used a lot and it looks great and performs great after 6 years of work.

A Staple in my Kitchen

Comments about KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I LOVE my Kitchenaid mixer. I don't know what I did without it. I bake at least twice a week so my Kitchenaid mixer stays displayed on my counter, which is a big deal since I don't like "clutter" on my counters. I used to think mixers were a waste of money but now that I have my mixer, I don't know how I survived without it. It cuts baking time in more than half. It mixes easily, evenly, quickly. The various mixing attachment are a bonus. I love my Kitchenaid mixers so much that I bought another one and I use both regularly.

Mixing Performance
It mixes quickly, easily and evenly. I don't always allow butter and cream cheese to sit at room temperature. My Kitchenaid cuts through and mixes these ingredients with ease. I do not like the fact that it is so loud.

It is very easy to clean if you maintain and clean it after each use. The attachments and mixing bowl can go in the dishwasher though I clean them by hand.

Very easy to use.

My Kitchenaid mixers will most likely outlive me. It is heavy and strong.

Great for business

Comments about KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

Overall this is a great mixer. It's easy to use, clean and can be used for a numerous amount of things. From cookies and cakes to making ice cream and noodles.

Mixing Performance
The mixer is perfect for mixing cookie dough, cake batters, shredding chicken and kneading dough. The uses for this mixer are endless with all of the attachments kitchen aid has to offer.

The mixer is very easy to clean. I even put everything in the dishwasher with no damage to any of the attachments or the bowl.

Very easy to use, once you've operated it once you have got the hang of it. Just one on and off switch and you can easily adjust the power.

This mixer is too pretty to hide under a cabinet. It is definitely meant to be left on the counter! It's got a sleek design that can go with any kitchen décor.

This mixer is very well made and meant to last for many years. I wouldn't trade this mixer for another one. It's a high quality mixer and worth every penny if you do a lot of cooking and baking.

• Mixing Performance:

Good for cakes... And little bread

from Fort Lee, NJ

Comments about KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I finally got this mixer and I put it to the test. Cakes, cookies and the Christmas white chocolate macadamia nuts cookies... Lots of them.
The regular cake and cookie was ok. Once I added the white chocolate and macadamia nuts... I had to stop the mixer and start using my bare hands. To the mixer defends, I had to admit I doubled the ingredients, since I was baking for Christmas...
So I didn't start the bread yet... I am a bit afraid I would be disappointed.
The bowl is big, but it takes a whole to get used to the snap and lift action you have to do in order to get the bowl off. I wouldn't recommend it for older people or people with joint problems and/or arthritis.
The engine sound smooth in the lower settings, but it gets quiet noisy on the faster speeds.
It comes with just 2 whisk, one traditional and one for bread dough. They are both in heavy metal so I am pretty sure they won't break anytime soon, and again, it takes a little bit to figure out the on and off mechanism but this is easier than the bowl.
All in all, a good piece of equipment, not too professional, but not for the casual baker either. I would love to have the extra pasta attachment but for that price, I guess I will have to wait for next Christmas.

Mixing Performance
Strong, but could be stronger.

Once you figure out how to take on and off the bowl, the rest it's pretty easy to clean.

The bowl can be tricky. Not for weak people.

Would love to leave it on my counter, like a trophy, but it's quiet big so I rather put it away when I don't use it.

It seems sturdy do far. Very heavy. If you plan to hide it in a cabinet, you have to be strong to move it.

• Mixing Performance:

A mixer for all my kitchen needs

Comments about KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

This is a great quality mixer and it can do amazing thing in the kitchen to make my preparing food jobs a lot easier and quicker. I can get things mixed up and prepared in half the time as I would if I were mixing the ingredients I am working with by hand. It is worth every dime I paid for it and I use it all the time for many things.

Mixing Performance
This mixer has strong mixing powers and handles many different ingredients and consistencies so I can always depend on it to help me get the job done and done well.

This mixer has smooth surfaces so it is easy to wipe down after each use and I can easily clean the smooth mixing bowl and beaters in my warm dish water with ease. I t cleans up easily and very well so its ready for my next cooking project.

This mixer is simple to understand how to use and I can simple set it to the speed I need for mixing with the push of a button.

The design of this mixer is simple and easy to understand how to use.

This mixer is built strong and even does wonders with kneading my homemade bread.

• Mixing Performance:

My Favorite Mixer of All Time!

Comments about KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I absolutely LOVE my KitchenAid Mixer! For years I was using a little cheap hand-held mixer from our wedding shower. I had always wanted a stand mixer, but even though I wanted it I didn't realize how much it would simplify my baking time in the kitchen! I am thoroughly pleased with this appliance! I love the fact that I can have it continuously mixing while I step away for a second to grab an ingredient or rinse off my hands! The different attachments are also great because it allows you to do almost anything imaginable in your kitchen with this appliance! I love the look of it sitting on my counter and I love that it has the shield so that flour doesn't get thrown all over your kitchen!

Mixing Performance
Wonderful! So much easier than mixing by hand!

The attachments easily come off and the bowl itself comes out easily to be washed. Wash with soap and water and dry and put it right back on for the next use!

So simple! Just turn it on and walk away!

Beautiful!

Love my kitchenAid mixer

Comments about KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I love my Kitchen Aid mixer! I got my first one about 15 years ago and it still works. About 2 years ago my kids got me the Kitchen Aid commercial series mixer for my birthday. Having my own small business i try to find ways to make the best of my time. The attachments are easy to change from one to the other so making cakes and cookies with the beater or switching to the bread hook to bake fresh homemade bread is a breeze. My 13 year old daughter is always asking to help (A big shocker for me). Anything you want is just so much easier to make with this mixer. The clean-up is fast and easy too. With baking almost every other day this mixer definitely stands up to the test of time. I would recommend this mixer to anyone that bakes once a month or everyday. Investing the extra money now only means you will save money in the long run. I'm hooked I will never use any other mixer again.

• Mixing Performance:

Overall good product for small projects

Comments about KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I got mine second hand and its still in amazing shape, minor nicks in paint and such but works like a champ. Ive put it through some intense tasks and never even come close to reaching its limits. Only issues I have is that the lift feature is not the best and it is inconvenient to clean.

• Mixing Performance:

My Kitchen Aid mixer has stood the test of time--40+ years!

Comments about KitchenAid Commercial Series 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I have a Kitchen Aid mixer that is 40+ years old and it is still running smoothly. When it was first purchased I made homemade bread every day for many years for my 7 children, my husband and me. We have enjoyed the mixer and all it can do for all these years and continue to enjoy it as I bake for my 24 grandchildren. It has made my baking tasks so simple for many years. If I only had a nickel for every loaf of bread, batch of cookies or cakes I've mixed with my Kitchen Aid mixer, I'd be rich! I've made sure each of my 5 daughters have a Kitchen Aid mixer and they love theirs equally as well. Thanks to Kitchen Aid for making such a wonderful product that has stood the test of time!

Mixing Performance
I'd definitely give it a 10 for mixing ability! it's the best!

So easy to clean. Wash by hand or put it in the dishwasher--voila!

I would give it a higher number for durability, wouldn't you if you had it for 40+ years?