4.8
Other Mixers:
Stand Mixers
KitchenAid
Models:
KSM150PSWH, KSM150PSBU, KSM150PSTG, KSM150PSES, KSM150PSAC, KSM150PSBL, KSM150PSBW, KSM150PS, KSM150PSBF, KSM150PSCV, KSM150PSCO, KSM150PSER, KSM150PSGC, KSM150PSGA, KSM150PSBK, KSM150PSGR, KSM150PSMY, KSM150PSOB, KSM150PSPE, KSM150PSPN, KSM150PSSM, KSM150PSWW, KSM150PSYP, KSM155GBRI, KSM150PSPK
KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer

Read 1,212 Reviews

KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer

4.8

Pros

• Even mixing (10)
  • Heavy duty (9)
  • Capacity (6)
  • Works quietly (5)

Cons

• Heavy (6)

• Cakes & cookies (11)
  • Bread (10)
  • Meringue (6)
    • Mixing Performance:
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Casual cook (7), Avid cook (3)

You can't go wrong with Kitchen Aid

I received this mixer as a wedding present, and though I don't cook much in general, I love this mixer. I have a tiny apartment kitchen, but it's well worth the space it takes up! My favorite thing about this mixer is that I know it will do anything I need it to do. I've made frosting, mashed potatoes, ice cream (with the ice cream maker attachment), doughs for various baking projects, cream soups, etc etc etc. It's so much nicer than a hand-mixer, because I can turn it on and just let it go. This mixer is also top quality, and it's easy to clean. Just wash the bowl, pop out the beater or dough hook and wash, and you're done. If you're getting married, register for one and you might get lucky and get one. Or, if you're looking for a mixer that will last the rest of your life, this is the one for you.

Nice product, but too pricey.

I came from the old school mentality of either mixing by hand or using a hand mixer. Once the Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer came on the market, I was expecting GREAT things from it. I enjoy the whisk to beat egg whites, the mixing paddle is terrific for those more intense recipes which requires you to mix for a while, but truly I don't think the Stand Mixer is worth it's price tag,

The paddles do not scrape the bottom of your bowl, so 9 out of 10 times you will need to hand mix the ingredients that did not get mixed in with your batter. I also found that the paddle attachements and whisk do not do well on the top rack of the dishwasher,  even though they are supposed to be dishwasher safe. My paddle and whisk came out dull and stained with soap spots.

The next time I used the mixer after I washed the attachements in the dishwasher, in my batter was silver staining from the paddle. It made my mix taste a bit metallic. Not a good experience.

If I could change one thing about the mixer I would make sure that there was the mobility to move the levels of the mixing bowl higher and lower than they currently can move. You can lower the bowl by rotating the handle clockwise on the side of the mixer. It allows you to add in extra ingredients. I find that there is not a great range to do so, so my measuring cup is spilling whatever I'm adding due to lack of room.

I've gone back to my hand mixer which is tried and true in my book. It may require a bit more juggling and finesse to add in the ingredients simutaneously like some recipes call for, but I don't mind. It's worth it.

A must for every kitchen!

from Yorba Linda, CA

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Even Mixing

Cons

• Heavy

Comments about KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I grew up with this mixer so when I got married I had to get my own. Overall I love this mixer. It mixes well, it's easy to use and it does many different things(if you get additional attachments). The one thing I don't like is how heavy it is.

Mixing will never be the same again

from Bend, OR

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Even Mixing
  • Heavy Duty
  • Removes Air Bubbles in Bread Dough
  • Speeds things up
  • Works Quietly

Comments about KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I said goodbye to my bread maker (Cuisinart) and have been using my Kitchenaid mixer for over a year now. I make bread weekly, and there is a marked difference in the dough from the bread maker vs. the Kitchenaid mixer, and my dough turns out significantly better, and the clean-up, the prep time, EVERYTHING is reduced.

I also use my Kitchenaid mixer to make cookies - no bake cookies, chocolate chip cookies, all types of cookies, and cake as well. Almost everything in our house is homemade and this wouldn't be possible without this stand mixer. Yes, it is on the pricy side but it really reduces my prep time in the kitchen, especially during holidays and parties. I'd rather buy a quality product and have it forever rather than replace one ever 5 or 10 years.

I haven't had the need to get any extra attachments. I have used the three attachments that come with it - dough hook, beater and paddle attachment, so don't worry about spending anything extra if you do the standard things.

Note: I bought this with my own money; I didn't receive a free sample, nor was I asked to write a review.

A must for my kitchen

from Lynnwood, WA

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Capacity
    • Even Mixing
    • Heavy Duty

Comments about KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

KitchenAid has been a trusted brand in my family for generations. My mom is an avid baker and always relied on her KitchenAid mixer for efficient, even mixing. Now I'm about to get married, and the first item I put on our registry was the KitchenAid Artisan Mixer. My KitchenAid is just as fast and powerful as the one I remember my mom using (and by the way, she's still using her original KitchenAid!). It was so fun choosing my own color (Aqua Sky) because I knew it would set the tone for my kitchen for years to come. It looks gorgeous on our counter and it's the most effective, useful kitchen tool we have.

Best mixer I've ever owned!!

from Indiana

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Capacity
      • Heavy Duty

Comments about KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

Absolutely love my mixer! Works wonderfully and definitely worth the price.

A Kitchen Essential

from Brunswick, ME

About Me Gourmet Chef

Pros

• Capacity
        • Even Mixing
        • Heavy Duty

Cons

• Expensive attachments
        • Heavy
        • Takes up a lot of space

• Batters

Comments about KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

If you've ever heard that a stand mixer will change the way you cook and bake... well,it's true. Especially with a kitchenaid. The mixer is very easy to clean, with the possibly inevitable exception of the hinge area which attracts flour. It IS very heavy and takes up a lot of space, so I have ine stored away from the main counter area and lug it to my prep zone and back again (make sure you lock the mixing arm so the base doesn't suddenly unfold on you). I have an extra bowl set with cover and feeder top. The feeder top is plastic and thinner than I feel it should be- it has some flex to it and doesn't fit snuggly on the bowl. It also has a narrow feed opening that doesn't let you dump as much dry ingredient at once as a recipe typically calls for. The attachments are very easy to clean and are dishwasher safe. The bowls clean easily to. The mixer itself cleans back up to its original shine with just a damp cloth wipe-down. Be sure to clean up in the area where the attention is connected, it's somewhat open in there and missed material can harden and become more dificult to remove. Creaming butter and sugar and making meringues are so simple with this machine that I've found myself making more recipes cling for them just because I have the mixer.

Solid Performance and Great Looks

from Phoenix, AZ

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Capacity
        • Durable
        • Even Mixing
        • Heavy Duty
        • Reliable
        • Sturdy
        • Variety Of Color Choices
        • Versatile
        • Works Quietly

Cons

• Difficult to Store
        • Heavy

• BUTTER
        • Cheesecake
        • Whipped cream

Comments about KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

My favorite appliance is my red KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer because of its versatility, durability, reliability, and great looks. I'm proud to have it in my kitchen because it represents high quality at an affordable price. I keep it on the counter because I use it often for everything from cookie and bread doughs to whipped cream and cake mixes. It gets a workout and holds up extremely well. I imagine in 25 years it will be passed on to my descendants, still working great and looking pretty.

wonderful mixer

About Me Avid Cook

Pros

• Even Mixing
        • Heavy Duty

• Candy

Comments about KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

The kitchen aid artisan stand mixer is a wonderful, budget friendly mixer for a casual cook or someone who likes to cook on a daily basis. I have had my artisan mixer for several years and use it generally at least once a week.
          I also was a teacher for several years and had these mixers in my classroom. With high school and junior high school students using these mixers on a daily basis they get a gold star for durability. Regardless of how hard I tried, there were always students who did not listen to instructions and would misuse the equipment. Fortunately for me, these mixers were at least thirteen years old when I left a year ago and I know they are still going strong.
          The attachments are easy to use. The only complaint I would ever have is that the coater flat paddle mixer blade will eventually chip over time with use. Mine lasted about five years though and they are fairly inexpensive to replace, so it's not a big deal. The durability of the mixer overall cannot be beat for the affordable price.

simplify your life

from West Springfield, MA

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Capacity
          • Even Mixing
          • Heavy Duty

Cons

• Heavy

Comments about KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

even mashed potatoes come out great in this. develed eggs, cookies. huge time saver when cooking and baking.

Quality product

from Flint, MI

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Easy to clean
          • Even Mixing
          • Works Quietly

Cons

• Heavy

Comments about KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I'm definitely not a chef, but I'd say I cook a decent amount of my own meals. I really enjoy cooking and would actually consider pursuing a culinary career in the future. With that in mind, I'm pretty pleased with this mixer. I like to multipurpose my appliances, so I tried to make multiple things with this mixer. The results were pretty pleasing. The size is definitely very good for breads and things like that. The power is perfect for meringues. I also really like how it is heavy enough that it doesn't shake uncontrollably or anything like that when it is mixing on high power. It's also not so heavy that I can't lift it. Cleaning is also very easy. Everything that needs to be washed just comes off easily and the stand can be wiped with a wet towel. Overall, this is a very good mixer. It has all the qualities that I feel are important to a mixer, and looks pretty nice on the counter too!

Great, Efficient Machine

from Somerset, KY

About Me Casual Cook

Pros

• Even Mixing
          • Heavy Duty
          • Works Quietly

Cons

• Heavy

• Pies

Comments about KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer:

I absolutely LOVE my KitchenAid Mixer. I know it is going to work properly every time I plug that beauty in. It is very simple to use and to figure out. I love how the basic 3 attachments fit perfectly in the bowl for storing purposes. It's not as loud as you'd think it would be and I get even mixing every time.