Other Vacuums:

Kirby Vacuum

Pros

Cons

• Versatility:

Worth every penny if you like clean carpet.

Although the Kirby is expensive, it is worth every penny. The amount of dirt it picks up is amazing.  It has tons of attachments and can clean just about anything.  It can even turn into a handvac. It includes a shampoo system.  Therefore, it pays for itself in just a few cleanings because you won't have to hire a third party.  Mine even has a sander, blower, and massage attachment.

Too heavy - too expensive, don't be fooled by lifetime warranty

I purchased the Kirby G5 after a in-home demonstration.  This was a pricey vacuum but I was sold when they talked about the lifetime warranty....Well, it broke and I can't find anyone to fix it locally.  There is a dealer and repairman in another city but I will have to pay for parts and labor - what about that Lifetime warranty??? I did some research after the switch went out and discovered that it is a common occurance to have trouble getting it fixed if it breaks.  Also this machine is very, very heavy, I got to the point that I dreaded gettting it out.  Fooling with changing the bags, yuck, also bags not found locally, have to order or stock up while in a city where they are available.  I had always thought at least it was a quality vacuum that cleaned well.  Changed my mind when I purchased a replacement vacuum while trying to decide if worth the expense to fix the Kirby, I was blown away by the amount of dirt the replacement pulled out of rugs.  I have decided that the Kirby is too heavy, too expensive and was a purchase I now regret.  I think it is gargae sale material at this point, I could have bought many vacuums for the prce I paid for a Kirby.

Why lift weights when you can use this vacuum?

Comments about Kirby Vacuum:

Okay this vacuum has great sucking power. It sucks up pretty much everything- animal fur, hair, litter, dirt, pennies (oops), etc.

The problem is it is SO heavy! It is almost impossible to maneuver and pushing it is difficult as times.

It is self propelled so when you vacuum it does become easier. But the problem is that if you want to move it or change areas without turning on the vacuum it is SO difficult. If you store it in the closet and want to pick it up, good luck because you will have a hard time. Like the title says, "why lift weights when you can use this vacuum?" Want to maneuver it around corners or in short spaces? Well have fun completely destroying the corners or your walls or throwing out your shoulder. It is just so clunky and heavy I had to purchase a new one. It should not be such a struggle to vacuum.

Also, I'm not a fan of bagged vacuums. It just takes extra time and is an extra cost to me on top of purchasing the vacuum and accessories.

On the plus side, it is so heavy duty it is almost impossible to destroy.

• Versatility:

Great Vacuum!! Everyone needs one!

Comments about Kirby Vacuum:

Great, great, great machine! I have a German Shepherd that sheds like crazy. This sweeper picks up all the dog hair on the first pass on both our carpet and hard surfaced floors. The power this vacuum has is really second to none; not to mention all the very useful attachments that it comes with. I use the Kirby to clean out my car weekly, (again, mostly dog hair), and it works fabulous. I know that I won't have to buy another sweeper any time soon because this one is built to last, which is quite refreshing in this throw away age we live in. If you are considering buying one, I have two words: do it!

• Versatility:

Mixed bag of dust... updated

from Elizabethtown, KY

Comments about Kirby Vacuum:

I should start with a positive, this vacuum really sucks up the dirt. There are many positives about it. It cleans well, it has many usuable attachments. It is easy to push when it is in gear. BUT I hate this vacuum. I traded in my Rainbow for it, because my daughter was selling them. I wish I had just handed her some money instead. (Live and learn) This vacuum is HEAVY. I am glad we no long her stair that I have to manuever with it, I would not be able to do so any longer. It is cumbersome and when I move it from room to room it is terrible unless I have it on and in gear. So if you are young and in great shape... possibly it is for you, but I have had this for 13 years and it shows no signs of wearing out... but my body is. LOL.

Maneuverability
It maneuvers well as long as it is in gear.

Ease of Maintenance
bag is easy to take in and out. But the dust from it upsets my allergies. Not an issue until these last couple of years.

Suction Performance
It cleans really well. You have to watch to be sure you do no have the setting too low or it sucks at the carpet so much it is hard to maneuver.

Versatility
In my opinion a canister vac does better in this area.

I have had it for several years and it still cleans like it did when it was new.

It gets the job done

from Loudonville, OH

Comments about Kirby Vacuum:

I have owned my Kirby since 2001 and it still works great.  We were pressured into buying it by a door-to-door salesman.  I don't like that tactic, but I am pleased with the product.  In 9 years we have not had any problems or noticed a decrease in performance.  We have even had other vaccuum salesman come to our house and be surprised by the level of cleanliness of our carpet (and I only vaccuum once a week and have a dog).

I continue to use the replacement Kirby bags.  I just order a multipack every year or two.  They are very easy to replace.  Our kirby came with a carpet shampoo system, but we have only used it once.  Not worth the hassle.  It also came with lots of attachments that we use on occasion.  We like to be able to "transform" it into a hand-vac for doing stairs.

The only thing I don't like about the Kirby is the weight.  I do like the handle by the base that helps with lifting it, but since I live in a split level house I do get tired of lugging it around.

• Versatility:

Kirby sucks awesome but it's a beast

from Lansing, MI

Comments about Kirby Vacuum:

Kirby vacuums are primarily sold door-to-door. In our area there is an actual Kirby store, but in general a salesperson goes door-to-door through neighborhoods trying to sell a vacuum. These sales people are extremely convincing and - let's just say it - pushy. On top of that it just so happens that my husband is a push over when it comes to a convincing sales-person. Put that together and we ended up with a Kirby G5 vacuum for a nice hefty price tag, might I add.

I have mixed feelings about our Kirby G5 Vacuum. It really works the way I want it to and I have the versatility of changing the accessories as I need to. But the price we paid for the beast was astonishing and I feel we could have gotten a similar quality machine for half the price.

Maneuverability
The G5 vacuum is self-propelled, which helps guide it across the floor when vacuuming. This is helpful since this machine is heavy to say the least.

Suction Performance
Now the saving grace of the Kirby is that it sucks... in a vacuum that's a good thing. It definitely sucks up everything in its path.

Versatility
Kirby machines have a set of attachments (which usually cost extra of course). The attachments are a little more difficult to maneuver as you have to take off the head then place on the hose and vice versa when you want to use the vac.

Kirby is still an old school vacuum which has a bagged style to it. This does keep it from getting clogged like some of the cheaper vacuums that depend on the hose to deliver the gunk to the tank. Then comes in the issue of weight. Kirby is a beast, which does not work well in a two-story house. There really isn't a good way to grab ahold of it and hauling it up the stairs is cumbersome.

She's a beast

• Versatility:

It does many things. I couldn't do without it!

from Plano, TX

Comments about Kirby Vacuum:

I love the Kirby G5.  It can vacuum as well as shampoo your carpet and also clean wood floors too.  It has many attachments for various jobs.  I have my Kirby for about 10 years and it is still going strong.  Although quite expensive than other vacuums, it does a great job and has fewer mechanical problems.  You can clean your stairs, draperies as well as inflate things such as an air mattress.  I love it because it is so versatile.

I wouldn't give up my Kirby for any other brand.

from Baxter Springs, KS

Comments about Kirby Vacuum:

Kirby's are long lasting and effective with little maintainence. They do require that you are somewhat mechanically inclined. I use a couple of the tools in the canister attachement on a regular basis, but when I deep clean once or twice a year, I use almost every attachment available. My husband has severe allergies and the filtration has been tested and proven in our household. My only warnings are: start with the basics and add on when learning the machine and think twice before buying if you have a bad back and a multi-level home.

Pricey

from Monroe, NC

Comments about Kirby Vacuum:

We inherited our Kirby when my Father-in-law passed away, and even though it cleans like a beast I would not have purchased one given the choice. The vacuum itself is very heavy and unweilding. The bags and belts are expensive and most be gotten either through a dealer or the internet. Since I tend to be a bit disorganized this means I'm constantly running out of bags and have to wait for them to be shipped. Also, the bags need changed often since the fill line is barely half way up the bag. Now, as I stated this vacuum does do what it's toted to do. The drive feature on it does make it extremely easy to push and even my five year old is able to use it once I set it to drive for her. The bags are great for allergy suffers and the attachments are handy.

GO Kirby G5 15 Plus yrs of a clean sweep

from Port Saint Lucie, FL

Comments about Kirby Vacuum:

My Kirby G5 has been a real reliable sweeper I remember 15 Plus years ago trying to decide whether the price is to much to pay for such a sweeper.. But truely it was a very very good investment that our family invested in with great service.

Industrial quality suction, but weighted for a one-story house

from Dayton, OH

Comments about Kirby Vacuum:

The ***Kirby *G5 **picks up everything you need it too, plus some. I've had a few coins and non-vacuumable items too close to the ***Kirby's ***path and have lost them.

***Kirby ***bags are heavy duty and durable, but the same qualities that keep in dust and dirt make it less than use-friendly to replace bags.

Adjusting to various floor types is a relatively easy task for the ***Kirby***. Just a few toe taps raises or lowers the bristle height. There's also an attachment allowing you to shampoo your carpet using your ***Kirby***. The hose is very long and durable and has a rolling attachment that allows you to vacuum under furniture, a must when your kids lose crayons, toys, and food underneath your living room furniture.

Please understand my rating. For the quality of vacuuming, the ***Kirby* G5 **is Above Average. However, for overall value for an average family budget, you'd be better with a *Dyson DC14*.

The ***Kirby *****G5 **is ideal for a ranch-style home. It's very heavy and cumbersome to lug up and down sets of stairs.