Other Joint & Muscle Pain Medicines:
Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream

Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream

Pros

Cons

Icy Hot may not smell nice, but it relieves muscle aches & pains

Even though I seem to be in pretty good health for a forty-something man, I am not immune to muscular aches and pains.

Particularly vexing to me are muscle aches that...Read complete review

Particularly vexing to me are muscle aches that affect my neck, upper back and left shoulder; I am a lefty, a mostly one-handed typist and a guy who is seated at a desk for long writing sessions and when pain strikes me in those places I can't really write much or be able to do much of anything.

I hate taking pills unless it's necessary, and though my physician has sometimes prescribed muscle relaxants such as Flexeril, i prefer over the counter (OTC) creams or Doan's Pills.In the past, I've used the well-known Ben Gay pain relieving cream, even though I have never liked its strong wintergreen-like scent. I've also used Aspercreme and other aspirin-based ointments, but I've become wary about the effects of aspirin on humans, so I don't use those, either.

Currently I'm using Chattem's Icy Hot Extra Strength Pain Reliever; this product comes in various forms, including a deodorant stick-like Chill Stick, a 1.25 oz tube of pain relieving cream, and a jar of balm (not to mention the patch, which I've not used). *From the Manufacturer's Website, www.chattem.com: ICY HOT® is the dual action topical pain reliever that gets icy to dull the pain and then gets hot to relax it away®. ICY HOT® is ideal for fast, long-lasting pain relief from sore muscles, backache, muscle cramps and arthritis.* **My Viewpoint: **With a formula containing methyl salicylate (30%) and menthol (10%), this product does indeed feel rather cool when first applied, and then gradually starts feeling warm on one's skin. It feels very odd at first, but when the pain reliever starts taking effect - usually within a minute or so after one has massaged some Icy Hot onto the affected area, it's quite a pleasant experience. The pain relief lasts at least a few hours, but it's safe and easy to apply. The only downside, frankly, is the scent. It's not as awful as the aforementioned Ben Gay (or generic versions of Ben Gay), but a bouquet of roses this isn't. It's got that wintergreen smell (from the menthol), and if you plan to go on a date or be close to anyone, be prepared to go "unlucky" or not apply Icy Hot, because you will not be very approachable smell-wise. You should only use Icy Hot on your skin. Don't use it if: Your skin turns red or irritated The pain lasts for more than seven days Don't use near your eyes or mucous membranes, nor should Icy Hot be used in conjunction with a heating pad.

Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream only relieved my pocketbook

The Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream Extra Strength did not relieve me of anything.The only thing it relived me of was the cost of the 1.25 oz box.  Occasionally, upon exercising or even during the course of a busy day, I'll get a muscle ache.  In hopes of gaining quick relief, I purchased a tube of this product.  After following application directions which includes applying generously over the affected area, I experienced absolutley nothing except a slight and brief warming sensation.  In fact it caused discomfort because I had to smell the darn stuff.  Under no circumstances would I ever recommend this product.  It cost me money, smelled bad and did not work. You are far better off using a hot, damp washcloth followed by an ice pack to the affected area.  It might be less convenient to do that, but in the long run, you'll get better results and save a lot of money in the process. Don't bother with it.

Icy Hot is one of my favorite staples

Comments about Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream:

Since I strained my hip, I've kept some Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream available to help me feel as comfortable as possible while I healed. It feels just like its name suggests. It's a hot and cool sensation that REALLY does soothe sore muscles and takes away the ache.
It does what it advertises unlike many other products on the market.
I still use it when needed for daily aches and pains after exercise. It's served me well, so well in fact that my oldest son has taken my advice and come to use it after a day of heavy lifting at work. (And here I thought I was just an old lady!) I can honestly say that I see the difference in him on the days where he remembers to use it versus the days he "forgets".
I would, (and have), suggest Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream to anyone I know who might be experiencing body aches and pains, be the person working to heal from a larger muscle strain, or just experiencing an achy body day. It real works well.

Great for sore muscles

from Utah

Comments about Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream:

I used to use this Icy Hot relieving cream when I ran cross country. We would practice twice a day for most of the week, and then have races on Saturdays. I didn't use it for a specific injury, but I did use it for the general muscle soreness that would build up over time from running such long miles. I would use it on my calves, hamstrings, and calves consistently to help them loosen up when sore before running (I didn't use it on all of those muscles every day. I just applied it to a particularly sore muscle on certain days). It does give a sort of burning feeling when you first rub in it, but it is not too painful. It would help loosen the muscles that felt tight, and combined with stretching, I would be able to get loose enough to run for the day. It's not a pain killer, so it won't take the soreness away, but in a roundabout way it will help the soreness, since the muscles feel more stretched out and loose instead of so tight. I relied on this to help get stretched out enough to avoid injury, and I never had an injury beyond regular soreness through two seasons of running several hundred miles.

Takes the pain away

Comments about Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream:

I always use Icy Hot whenever I have those body aches and sore muscles that I get the day after working out. It is also proven to relieve arthritis pain and cramps/back aches. I especially like the numbing effect that this cream has which calms and relaxes me whenever I use it. It does have a strong tolerable scent, but I personally like it. Normally, I just rub it on my back and it provides instant relief, which lets me sleep throughout the night or work during the day. It helps relax muscles by unknotting them. Also, it has a similar thickness and texture to sunscreen and rubs in as easily as that. The only suggestion that I have for this product is that it should last longer, since the relief seems to only last a couple of hours. It also leaves some sort of a greasy feeling, so I would recommend not wearing anything fancy or a nice fabric if you plan on using some Icy Hot.

Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream-Not for sensitive skin

from Denham Springs, LA

Comments about Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream:

Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream is a good basic muscle rub. I have used Icy Hot Pain relieving cream for years. Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream is more affordable than some of the other brands on the market. It goes on smooth, but can feel a bit greasy, and provides enough heat to feel like it is making a difference on the muscle. I use Icy Hot for basic sore muscles, not for deep back spasms. The burn from Icy Hot Cream can be too much for my skin at times. I have to be really careful not to use too much in one spot or rub it in too much. If that happens it has to be washed off. I would not recommend Icy Hot to anyone who has the slightest sensitive skin. It also has a very strong odor. You will smell like Icy Hot when you go about your day. All in all, Icy Hot will help relieve the discomfort from sore muscles, over worked legs, and stiff backs. I do not think it is made for everyone, because of the strong odor and skin irritation it might cause.

Fights pain

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream:

I use this product when I've become too zealous in my garden and begin to feel muscle strains and a mild backache. My experience with this product has been very positive. The producers of this product advertise that it is quick acting. I am here to say that is the truth, I found that it provided relief very quickly in two ways. The pain was dulled in short order and the penetrating warm, although somewhat difficult to get used to initially, provided a relaxation of the impacted muscles. The two combine for a very effective result, which is a strength of this product.

I was initially hesitant to purchase this product because it is a cream and I was concerned that it would be messy and difficult to apply. However, this is not the case, the consistency is correct and I don't find it at all greasy. Likewise, once applied, I did not find that it stained the clothes that I put over the application area. The scent is not off-putting which is sometimes the case with these types of products.

One of my first choices to relieve muscle pain

Comments about Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream:

This Icy Hot Cream is something that everyone in my family likes to use to relieve aches and pains in their muscles. My grandparents have used it for years, and they introduced my mother to it, and now all of us in my household use it.

For me specifically, as a young student, I spend quite a bit of time hunched over writing something or typing something on my computer. My neck and back get sore a lot, as do my hands when I write a lot. All it takes to help with the pain is a little bit of this cream. I don't have to use a lot--just a little bit to massage into my skin wherever it hurts. I usually do this right when I get home before I go to bed, and it relieves my muscles right away. By the time I wake up the next morning, I'm good as new.

The main complaint I have with the Icy Hot cream is the smell. It's not horrible, but it's not pleasant. All other similar products that I've used (which, granted, isn't that many) have a similar smell, though, so I don't consider it too big of a deal.

Quick relief for jumpy muscles

Comments about Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream:

I love this stuff! I have always used it for sore muscles but found a great use for it when my restless leg syndrom began to get out of control. I was taking all the oral meds I could so decided to try some icy hot on my calves where the jumpy muscles bother me. It worked great, relaxed the muscles right away. Always have some available and no generic stuff either.

Pain Distraction

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream:

I used Icy Hot many years ago when I ran track and field. It was the go-to product in the trainers' bag for any type of injury. Thankfully, pain relief products have come a long way since then.
The first element that I did not like was the intense heat and cold feeling. I realize that this is inherent in the name, but I feel that it provides a mere distraction from the pain, as it is really only skin deep.
I garnered much more benefit and pain relief from the equally awful ice baths alternated with relaxing heating pads.
Icy Hot doesn't seem to actually heal the muscles or provide true and lasting relief. To me, it merely made me keenly aware of the intense sensations on my skin so as to distract me from the actual pain in my muscles.
I had a box of it that I had purchased, but it sat way back on my medicine shelf. I finally parted ways with it once the product had passed its expiration date.

Relieves muscle pain.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream:

I like to go to the gym a lot and also participate in a lot of team sports and with this I often end up having a lot of muscle related injuries and pains. Whenever this happens, I always grab for my icy hot because it is something that works very well to make the muscles relax and to feel a lot better. When you first put it on, like it says, it is icy, this helps with my muscles and makes them relax and kind of almost gives them that frozen sensation so that I do not feel all of the pain anymore. It then starts to warm up and the warmth helps my muscles relax a lot more and then they let go and are not as tight, this always makes me feel instantly better as the muscles being so tight and holding in all of the tension is what makes it even worse. This is pretty effective and keeps my muscles from aching as bad for about 6 hours before I have to reapply this. It is a temporary fix but if it is just a small amount of muscle pain or a strain it is enough to keep the aches away and to not be hurting.

Burns and Hot

from Stafford, Virginia

Comments about Icy Hot Pain Relieving Cream:

This really was not was I was expecting. I expected it to take my muscle aches and back pain away. Instead it just burned and made the area really hot. It almost made it sore to feel the Icy Hot on the area. I would have rather taken another form of medication or relief. I don't think this is the best option.

It did make the area feel better after suffering through the soreness, hotness, and aching. I instantly regretted using it on my back. I would recommend using this as a trial to see if it would work for you, and only applying to small area on your back. It's also hard to apply to certain areas of your back so you may need help from a friend.

The feels of having the Icy Hot was not pleasant. I only felt the area get hot, not cold or icy at all. I don't know how others use this all the time. I did not expect for it to get that hot on the area. It also deepens in the skin and gets really warm, which is also an unpleasant feeling.