2.1

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Outstanding service, great prices

Five Star traveler...that's exactly where I ended up when I was in the transition of buying cars. My 98 Honda went out on me last November, and here in Columbia, SC public transportation do not operate every day. My old job required me to work on the weekends, where the bus did not operate so I needed a car to get where I had to go.

I was already a member of Hertz #1 Club but I only rented from them on occassion, out of town trips, things of that nature. Well for 4 months I ended up renting from them every single weekend (some people here are not that dependable for you to ask them to take you to work and then when you did, you end up waiting forever for your ride). I already knew that renting online was cheaper, but then I started going through the special offers section. They would have (and still do) "Save 50% off your weekend rental, which you will usually have to rent for 3 days with a Saturday night keep being required. No problem. I started renting the economy car for the weekends, rate coming up to like $13 a day unlimited miles. By the beginning of March I had rented so many times I had earned enough points for two rental days free and an upgrade to Hertz #1 Gold Five Star Member (previously I was just a gold club member and it took be about two years to get to that level. If you ever want to NOT have to pay to be at an elite status, just keep renting. You will eventually get there). By the end of March I had bought a new car so I stopped renting. I recently started back a couple of weeks ago to go to Orlando Florida for the weekend. It cost me $46.52 for the entire weekend unlimited miles, and I got an automated upgrade from a compact car to a midsize car, which is another advantage that I like.

This is also the only place I rent from because you are allowed to hold your rental on a debit card from start to finish. Not many companies do that.

Also (I learned this a long time ago) renting from any airport will put an airport facility fee on your bill. I learned to elimate that too. I think the airport rentals really benefit those who are arriving to their destination via the airplane and they need a vehicle right when they get off. Otherwise if you live in the area, rent from the local editions if you can. It is cheaper and you don't have to worry about paying that airport fee.

Herts is my number 1 in car rental...no doubt.

I should have ridden my bike instead of renting from Hertz...

Several days ago, we were making a trip from our home in Ohio to Virginia when our car broke down. So my dad, who is a corporate Club member made a reservation for us, and we rented a car from Hertz for a few days to complete our trip while our car was sitting in the repair shop, waiting on its new transmission. And so began the fiasco...

We rented from the Lewisburg, WV airport Hertz. Their customer service was OK. Nothing great, but OK. The car, a Nissan Sentra, smelled like someone smoked in it, but it was fine. The problems started when we called to ask to turn the rental into a week-long rental instead of 5 days. This should have cost us about $180 total, and when we checked our bank account, they had charged us another $489!!! I had never consented to this charge, nor did they tell me it would cost anything more than their stated charge on the Hertz website! So after the $200 security deposit for TWO rentals, and the $150-some charge for the initial rental, the screwed-up $400-some charge, and another $180 for the second week, Hertz was holding around $1200 of my money for a total of 7 days of rental! Can you even imagine? But it gets better...

When we realized there was a problem, both my husband and father called the office and were directed to call the Charleston office to talk to someone, since the Lewisburg manager had just left for vacation. Good luck if you ever have to talk to Deborah in Charleston...she is condescending, rude, and not interested in helping you understand the Hertz processes! We got nowhere there, other than to be told that we would get the $200 back when we returned the car (which we already knew and had agreed to) and that they would sort out the charges when we returned the car. She actually said it was my fault for not asking for the weekly rate when I called to change the reservations, WHICH I DID!

So we made a reservation online to pick up a different car at the weekly rate for that Sunday. We returned the car with no incident, picked up the second car with no incident, and headed on our way home. En route, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Go figure. So the next morning, I called the Roadside Assistance number and spoke to someone who was even ruder (if it's possible) than Deborah from Charleston. She told me I'd have to talk to the office where we rented the vehicle, and that we'd need to take the car in to be traded in, but that the closest Hertz was at the Dayton airport, which is an hour and a half from my home. When I indicated I would expect some kind of compensation for the mileage and time, she got huffy with me. I actually had to tell her she didn't need to be rude with me in order to answer my questions! Again, I got nowhere. I'm beginning to think Hertz trains their staff on how to be difficult, obnoxious, and as not-helpful as possible in their orientations!

Being that I had to go to a conference, I left for work and didn't get to call back until I returned home. At that point, I tried calling the Customer Relations phone number. After waiting on hold for 27 minutes and going through the convulted mess of numbers you have to press to get anywhere, the person who answered (David) told me that there was nothing he could do for me until I returned the car. Seriously??? So when I asked to speak with a manager he transfered my call to...surprise...Roadside Assistance! At this point, I was ready to scream! I finally got the first Hertz employee who was worth anything, Rebecca, who was able to provide me with not one, but TWO, Hertz rental offices that were closer than the Dayton airport, along with addresses and phone numbers. I had to drive 20 minutes to the closest Hertz, where my car was exchanged for one that ran with no problems until I returned it at the end of the week to the original Hertz we rented from in West Virginia.

Hertz then took off the WRONG charge from my account, still keeping the $489 screw-up and returning the $200 deposit and $150-some charge for the original rental. After contacting the billing department, they promised me an email letting me know what they would be doing. I never received any email communication from them, however, two days later, the charge that was incorrectly debitted from my account was returned.

One thing that also rubbed me the wrong way about the process at the airport Hertz is that no one checked the vehicle with us before we left, nor was anyone there to check the car when we returned. I had to write down the mileage and drop the keys off with no one to verify that I returned the car in the same shape in which I received it. So they had BETTER not try to say there was any damage, because if there is, it didn't happen while the car was in my possession!

Suffice it to say, I wouldn't rent the Batmobile from Hertz at this point, let alone a Nissan Sentra that smells like smoke! I'll be complaining to AAA as well, and even if it costs me more money for a rental, I will NEVER be doing business with **Hertz Rent-A-Car** again!

UPDATE - I posted a link to this review on the Hertz Facebook page. Not only did they not respond, but they deleted my link. Big surprise, huh? Too bad for them they can't delete it from here, the AAA Facebook page, my own page, and everywhere else I post it. How incredibly unprofessional. If you have a problem with people voicing their opinions about your poor service, MAYBE YOU SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE POOR SERVICE!

Do Not Trust Promotions and/or the Customer Service

from All of North America

Comments about Hertz:

FYI, I am a seasoned traveler with 40 years of experience. I participated in an AAA/Hertz promotional program. The Hertz company has refused to honor the program is/has been unwilling to answer basic questions or will not provide additional contact information for the Hertz management or departments. Bottom line is that they have lied repeatedly and given me the runaround for over a month. I am a Presidents Circle and still have no level of service. My advice--Choose a more reputable rental company that honors their programs and those of their partners.

NEVER AGAIN

from Tampa, FL

Comments about Hertz:

Where do I begin? Upon picking up my rental car, the Hertz rep told me that I had two options as far as gas goes. Fill the tank myself or they would fill it for me. They neglect to mention that if you drive over 100 miles, you will automatically be charged for a full tank of gas. Also, if less than 100 miles, they charge $10 per gallon to fill it up! Seriously?? They also neglect to tell you when making the reservation that they'll hold a $200 deposit for the car (which I had to charge to my debit card). It took them all of two seconds to take this money from my bank account, but upon asking (of course they do not offer this information willingly), I was told that it would take 5-10 business days for them to refund it. Why? It took two seconds to take my $, but two weeks to give it back?? When I repeatedly asked why it takes so long, there answer was: "that's our policy". Thanks for explaining that to me Hertz! I do not have extra money lying around in my account for them to hold onto for no reason. WISH I HAD READ THESE REVIEWS BEFORE RENTING FROM HERTZ! NEVER AGAIN!

Do yourself a favor and don't rent from Hertz.

from Salem, OR

Comments about Hertz:

I should have listened to all of the negative reviews before renting from this company!! We reserved a cargo van on 2/6/2018 to be picked up on 3/27/2018. We needed a cargo van to bring back some family heirlooms. When we got there they didn't have the cargo van, they had a mini van. We weren't happy about this but agreed to take it as the seats could be removed. My boyfriend asked if the guys who cleaned the cars could help him as he was recently in a car accident. He was told no they could not help him (the lady at the counter went out of her way to go outside to make sure and tell them not to help). The manager was the rudest. She was extremely rude and accused us of yelling. She refused to rent us the van. We made calls to Hertz corporation. They said they would talk to her, which she refused to do. They then told us there is nothing they can do for us. I am completely amazed at the horrible customer service from this location and Hertz themselves.

Happy with Hertz!

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Hertz:

I rented with Hertz for 3 days. Got a fantastic rate because, frankly, I booked way ahead of time. The rate was $17 a day for a full size vehicle. The office I went to, which was in a hotel, locally, was helpful, very business-like, friendly and knowledgeable. They took me up to the garage/roof parking and I was immediately given a great car. The trick is, is to book as much in advance as possible. That attributed to the fact that I got an outrageous rate for a booking right around a holiday. Again, word to the wise, book as much in advance as you can.

Worst Customer Service I Ever Experienced

from Basking Ridge, NJ

Comments about Hertz:

Prepaid for a week rental at the Puerto Rico airport, for a family reunion that we had scheduled. Unfortunately, it fell on the exact week that the hurricane hit. A few days before pick up, when it was obvious that travel to the island would be impossible, I contacted Hertz and canceled. They assured me a full refund in 5 to 7 days. Two weeks later, after not receiving the refund I contacted customer service again. They once more assured me a full refund in 5 to 7 days, and stated that they would send me an email confirming this. Received no email and a week later, still no refund. Contacted customer service for a third time to complain about their failure to process my refund. Was told by a supervisor that they were sorry and didn't understand what was taking so long. They assured that the refund was processed and would be applied within the next few days. I asked for a confirmation email, and they read back my email address and said it was being sent. Guess what, no email and no refund. They just lied to me for a third time. Finally had to contact the credit card company, who informed that they had no indication that a refund was processed. Had to dispute the charges so that the credit card company can help me obtain my refund. What a horrible experience. Interesting note, the small hotel in PR which was totally destroyed was able to issue a refund in a few days. This international company wouldn't. Will never use them again.

Never again Hertz

from Honolulu

Comments about Hertz:

Upon arrival to Honolulu we were taken good care of by Nu. He help to release stress with laughter and he was very knowledgeable about the area and things to do. Our experience with him was great and hope he continues to brighten up the day of others. We enjoyed our stay here in Honolulu for a few days before we realized we could not drive from one Island to the next. We booked a nine-day stay between the big island and Honolulu and was under the impression that we could drive or take a ferry when we were doing our traveling arrangements. Needless to say, we realized we could only fly and had to return the car 5 days earlier. We booked this as a package deal with flights. Being that I paid 500 up front I can not get my money back . I contacted Expedia and they attempted to make arrangements for us to have a car on the Big Island. We didn't want a refund... just wanted to insure we had a car so we asked to transfer the remaining balance. Hertz did not budge. They refused to help, but continued to ask if I wanted them to book the rental for the Hertz on the Big Island for my last 5 days. NO!!! It's crazy because had I not prepaid for the car I wouldn't have been out of 300 dollars. I understand policy... I also understand human error... Hertz has lost 3 customers for life. Not just this particular location! We travel extensively throughout the year and rent cars often. I never experienced a company who was willing to lose over a period of time for 300 dollars. I will not spend with a company who is not willing to make sure their customers are taken care of. This was a learning experience for me and those who I am travelling with. I am grateful to have been able to pay for the 5 days on the Big Island and a plane ticket last minute. Hertz will never see a dime of my money again. In this case I feel that profit meant more than compassion and customer service.

No Customer Care

from Bloomington, indiana

Comments about Hertz:

I was made to pay for a rental I had to return less than two hours after picking it up due to the discovery that our family cat had died suddenly. Also, as a frequent customer (renting 3-4 times a year) I was never given any discounts or preference when choosing a vehicle. The most recent rental ended with a surprise $24.00 service fee on my credit card bill for paying a toll I knew nothing about and then passing e toll fee along to me.

Never use this company again!

from Mt. Vernon, IL

Comments about Hertz:

From the beginning we should have walked away and went to Enterprise! He made it sound like he was doing us a favor to get us a car immediately. We asked if the car was ready to go and clean and was told it was; BUT there was a shirt under the passenger seat and around the doors it was filthy and the tires were dirty and nothing was wet, but he assured it had just been cleaned. Didn't see this until we were home and packing up to hit the road. I wanted to use my AAA discount and pay for the car with my card, for my daughter. She had to leave to go home to Canada, and he would not let me do what I wanted so she had to use her Canada credit card and now is stuck paying the exchange rate, plus we could not use the discount. She was not shown how to use the GPS or phone or anything else in the car before taking off. He just wanted us to hurry up and pick up the car and leave and was and is very unfriendly towards my daughter. If she could have stayed another day we would have gone somewhere else, but her husband was in need for her to get home immediately. VERY DISSAPPOINTED IN HERTZ!!!! I only rated this with one star, but that is too much...should have been zero!!!!

Do not trust them

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Hertz:

They would be the last rental car company I would use. I would rather walk. Had a billing problem and the excuse they gave me for being unable to fix it was the manager and new area manager had just started after I had rented my car and could not take care of it. I was promised many call backs and they never came through. Please use Enterprise ((which I should have here) as I have never had a problem with them.

Worst experience ever

from Truckee, CA

Comments about Hertz:

We had a reservation and when we got there they told us they overbooked and didnt have cars left. We are waiting for a car to be returned which may not even happen. I can't believe this. Aren't you just a little bit organized? You should definitely work on your customer service if you don't want to loose them all.