2.1

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Outstanding service, great prices

Five Star traveler...that's exactly where I ended up when I was in the transition of buying cars. My 98 Honda went out on me last November, and here in Columbia, SC public transportation do not operate every day. My old job required me to work on the weekends, where the bus did not operate so I needed a car to get where I had to go.

I was already a member of Hertz #1 Club but I only rented from them on occassion, out of town trips, things of that nature. Well for 4 months I ended up renting from them every single weekend (some people here are not that dependable for you to ask them to take you to work and then when you did, you end up waiting forever for your ride). I already knew that renting online was cheaper, but then I started going through the special offers section. They would have (and still do) "Save 50% off your weekend rental, which you will usually have to rent for 3 days with a Saturday night keep being required. No problem. I started renting the economy car for the weekends, rate coming up to like $13 a day unlimited miles. By the beginning of March I had rented so many times I had earned enough points for two rental days free and an upgrade to Hertz #1 Gold Five Star Member (previously I was just a gold club member and it took be about two years to get to that level. If you ever want to NOT have to pay to be at an elite status, just keep renting. You will eventually get there). By the end of March I had bought a new car so I stopped renting. I recently started back a couple of weeks ago to go to Orlando Florida for the weekend. It cost me $46.52 for the entire weekend unlimited miles, and I got an automated upgrade from a compact car to a midsize car, which is another advantage that I like.

This is also the only place I rent from because you are allowed to hold your rental on a debit card from start to finish. Not many companies do that.

Also (I learned this a long time ago) renting from any airport will put an airport facility fee on your bill. I learned to elimate that too. I think the airport rentals really benefit those who are arriving to their destination via the airplane and they need a vehicle right when they get off. Otherwise if you live in the area, rent from the local editions if you can. It is cheaper and you don't have to worry about paying that airport fee.

Herts is my number 1 in car rental...no doubt.

I should have ridden my bike instead of renting from Hertz...

Several days ago, we were making a trip from our home in Ohio to Virginia when our car broke down. So my dad, who is a corporate Club member made a reservation for us, and we rented a car from Hertz for a few days to complete our trip while our car was sitting in the repair shop, waiting on its new transmission. And so began the fiasco...

We rented from the Lewisburg, WV airport Hertz. Their customer service was OK. Nothing great, but OK. The car, a Nissan Sentra, smelled like someone smoked in it, but it was fine. The problems started when we called to ask to turn the rental into a week-long rental instead of 5 days. This should have cost us about $180 total, and when we checked our bank account, they had charged us another $489!!! I had never consented to this charge, nor did they tell me it would cost anything more than their stated charge on the Hertz website! So after the $200 security deposit for TWO rentals, and the $150-some charge for the initial rental, the screwed-up $400-some charge, and another $180 for the second week, Hertz was holding around $1200 of my money for a total of 7 days of rental! Can you even imagine? But it gets better...

When we realized there was a problem, both my husband and father called the office and were directed to call the Charleston office to talk to someone, since the Lewisburg manager had just left for vacation. Good luck if you ever have to talk to Deborah in Charleston...she is condescending, rude, and not interested in helping you understand the Hertz processes! We got nowhere there, other than to be told that we would get the $200 back when we returned the car (which we already knew and had agreed to) and that they would sort out the charges when we returned the car. She actually said it was my fault for not asking for the weekly rate when I called to change the reservations, WHICH I DID!

So we made a reservation online to pick up a different car at the weekly rate for that Sunday. We returned the car with no incident, picked up the second car with no incident, and headed on our way home. En route, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Go figure. So the next morning, I called the Roadside Assistance number and spoke to someone who was even ruder (if it's possible) than Deborah from Charleston. She told me I'd have to talk to the office where we rented the vehicle, and that we'd need to take the car in to be traded in, but that the closest Hertz was at the Dayton airport, which is an hour and a half from my home. When I indicated I would expect some kind of compensation for the mileage and time, she got huffy with me. I actually had to tell her she didn't need to be rude with me in order to answer my questions! Again, I got nowhere. I'm beginning to think Hertz trains their staff on how to be difficult, obnoxious, and as not-helpful as possible in their orientations!

Being that I had to go to a conference, I left for work and didn't get to call back until I returned home. At that point, I tried calling the Customer Relations phone number. After waiting on hold for 27 minutes and going through the convulted mess of numbers you have to press to get anywhere, the person who answered (David) told me that there was nothing he could do for me until I returned the car. Seriously??? So when I asked to speak with a manager he transfered my call to...surprise...Roadside Assistance! At this point, I was ready to scream! I finally got the first Hertz employee who was worth anything, Rebecca, who was able to provide me with not one, but TWO, Hertz rental offices that were closer than the Dayton airport, along with addresses and phone numbers. I had to drive 20 minutes to the closest Hertz, where my car was exchanged for one that ran with no problems until I returned it at the end of the week to the original Hertz we rented from in West Virginia.

Hertz then took off the WRONG charge from my account, still keeping the $489 screw-up and returning the $200 deposit and $150-some charge for the original rental. After contacting the billing department, they promised me an email letting me know what they would be doing. I never received any email communication from them, however, two days later, the charge that was incorrectly debitted from my account was returned.

One thing that also rubbed me the wrong way about the process at the airport Hertz is that no one checked the vehicle with us before we left, nor was anyone there to check the car when we returned. I had to write down the mileage and drop the keys off with no one to verify that I returned the car in the same shape in which I received it. So they had BETTER not try to say there was any damage, because if there is, it didn't happen while the car was in my possession!

Suffice it to say, I wouldn't rent the Batmobile from Hertz at this point, let alone a Nissan Sentra that smells like smoke! I'll be complaining to AAA as well, and even if it costs me more money for a rental, I will NEVER be doing business with **Hertz Rent-A-Car** again!

UPDATE - I posted a link to this review on the Hertz Facebook page. Not only did they not respond, but they deleted my link. Big surprise, huh? Too bad for them they can't delete it from here, the AAA Facebook page, my own page, and everywhere else I post it. How incredibly unprofessional. If you have a problem with people voicing their opinions about your poor service, MAYBE YOU SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE POOR SERVICE!

My experience was great!!! Drove to Sicily and back to Calab

from Los Angeles, CA

Car drove well and was great to get around Italy!! Thanks Hertz

I will NEVER rent from Hertz again

from Portland, OR

Comments about Hertz:

Picked up the car at the Portland airport with nasty customer service, unhelpful counter help and then worthless customer service when I was overcharged for an extra day. Be aware of knowing ALL the policies prior to picking up and the vehicle and do not ask question at the counter as they are unable to do anything the computer does not allow.

Never rent a car from here

from Greensboro, NC

Comments about Hertz:

My mother pre paid for the car and once I arrived with my mother they told me they would have to put almost a $300 hold on my card. Because my card would go through they tried to tell me I couldn't get the car! A car that was already PAID for. We called and kept getting the run around. Pick up was suppose to be at 6 needless to say almost two hours later we were still on the phone with NO car!!

Sorry company

from Houston, TX - Park Ten Location, Katy FW

Comments about Hertz:

I rented a car with Hertz and the car rental agents are like dealing with robots. I used one card to rent my car at first, then I called to extend the rental and needed to change to another credit card and they could not take my card over the phone. I had to go back into the location in person to cancel out one contract then start another new one for the change in the credit card.

hertz is the worst cstomer service ever

from denver international airport

Comments about Hertz:

The worst started to purchase a car had someone hang up on me and another person was trying to ripe me off by booking over the phone. Just nasty attitude. Stay away from this place going else where.

Car Rental

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Hertz:

Horrible customer service. I was charged for an upgrade fee when the lady in Hartford office even did not tell me about that. She offered another car and gave me papers to sign so now i have a charge from price line and hertz as well! People at customer service at Hertz were not helpful stating that i signed the contract for an upgrade but i still believe it is a good business practice when the customer shows up at midnight at your office to let them know that the offer you just made is extra money!! It was my first time renting a car and i surely wont' go back to Hertz again! The people who work for them are liars and the company does not care about customers!

CAR INFESTED WITH COCKROACHES

from Miami, Florida

Comments about Hertz:

NEVER RENT A CAR FROM HERTZ! I rented a car at the Miami Airport to drive to the keys. When we stopped for dinner we were MORTIFIED to find tens of THOUSANDS of cockroaches COVERING the seats and dashboard. When we opened the car door they scurried into every crook of the car where we soon discovered they lived in. Of course myself as well as my family was highly disturbed, but had no choice but to continue our journey to our resort, as we were so far from Miami. We bought a cockroach spray and sprayed every inch of our car thoroughly many many MANY times yet still, every single time we would enter our car after 5 pm the seats would be COVERED with roaches. I can't imagine how many THOUSANDS must have been living inside the metal of the car and the cushion of the car seat. We were forced to sit with our legs up, flashlight on, and eyes alert. Not to mention my son is allergic to cockroaches. Long story short: NEVER RENT FROM HERTZ.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

BEWARE

from Phila

Comments about Hertz:

Make sure the local site from which you are renting will honor the online rate in your reservation. Locally owned Hertz sites don't have to and you too could get burned.

Great experience!

from Houston, TX

Comments about Hertz:

We rented a car from Hertz at the Houston Texas International Airport. We had a great experience. The paper work was ready from our pre-reservation. The car was new and read to go. The return was efficient and prompt. Positive experience. Only draw back is there was an extra fee for a second driver. Never experienced this before; usually the reservation included a husband and wife, but it was not a problem. Only one key to the car though…concerned if the one you had would have gotten locked accidentally in the car, etc. Again, we didn't have any problems.

Worst Car Rental experience in my 60 years

from Rented from Oklahoma City - Will Rogers

Comments about Hertz:

This rental experience was the worst of my life. They charged me for an upgrade which I never asked for. They also charged me a refueling fee even though I filled up 2 blocks from the airport and wrote it on the paperwork when I returned the car. (There was no one at the counter when I returned the car) I also sent them a fueling receipt like they requested.
When I checked in I at Will Rogers Airport in Oklahoma City, I gave the agent my Confirmation paperwork. He checked me in and unbeknownst to me, charged me for an upgrade which I did not ask for nor did he inform me he was upgrading me. Mind you this was about 1:00 in the morning after a long day of flying across country. I assumed he was giving me a car appropriate to my confirmation paperwork. When I was heading home I went to return the car. No one was at the counter so I followed the instructions to use the drop box and indicating the information they required. When I got home, I learned of the charges when I went online to see my bill. I had to request a zero balance receipt because they never sent me one even though I had used my Visa. After much arguing when I got back, they refunded 1/2 the amount as a "good will gesture" they said. The refueling charge they have not as of yet refunded me the fee even though I emailed them the receipt as they requested. So far it has been going on 4 days and the government is getting anxious about me doing my expense report so I can be reimbursed. I will never use Hertz again and I will tell my co-workers my experience. I see why they call themselves Hertz. It was a very painful experience.