1.9

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Great Service, No Hassle

We have used Avis for a trip to New Jersey and Wisconsin from Ohio. Both times, we had great service without any hassles. I was able to use two discounts to get a great price that beat out all of the other rental companies, sometimes by more than 50%, even with similar discounts offered. The unlimited miles is a great bonus and they gave me a choice on car based on performance or fuel efficiency. The two vehicles were almost brand new also. The first had 1400 miles when we received it and the other only had 850. Did not hassle me to add the insurance coverage like I've experienced at a couple of the other rental agencies. Great experience. Would recommend.

Bait and Switch

I contracted for a rental car from Avis through Priceline for a trip my wife recently took. What a totally exasperating and frustrating experience. First, we reserved a small economy car several days prior to her travel giving Avis plenty of time to locate and make available the car we requested and paid for. Once she arrived at her destination airport she was informed that the car was unavailable and she would have to take a different type of car which would add several dollars a day to the cost; "Take it or leave it." She opted to take it. Next, she drove the car to her destination where it sat for several days. When she attempted to return to the airport (70 miles away) the dash display reflected an engine problem so she took the car to the nearest Avis site to exchange it for another car to get her to the airport. The employee's at the site provided her with a replacement of the original type we had requested and a bill much larger than our contract price (several hundred dollars more). The replacement car was turned in approx. 2 hours before the contract expiration at 2 PM. Within two days of her return home Avis starting hitting my credit card for numerous charges totalling almost $1600. more than the original contract. The CSR that was contacted responded to my inquiry by saying we had defaulted the original contract by turning in the defective car at a location other than where we had received it. Luckily, I have credit protection, cancelled my card to prevent even more charges and am now going through the hoops to recover the additional charges already charged, without authorization by Avis. Avoid this company, their business practices are decietful and dishonest.

Update: 4/25/2010  I spent several days trying to work this out with the Avis CSR group, but made no progress towards an amicable resolution. First, I insisted on all coorespondence through email for a written record of any agreement we came to. The Avis reps told me that actually I needed to deal with the Ft Wayne, Indiana site manager and it was not possible for him to use email, I would only be able to negotiate a settlement with him verbally on the phone. What major business in this day and age does not have email capabilities at their satellite sites? It's more likely that they do not want the site manager to commit to anything in writting, and I will not enter into a verbal negotiation with a company of this low calibre. As it stands now, I have recieved several letters from Avis informing me that I was no longer a "preferred" customer, and my account was being placed in collections. I'm now waiting for the account to hit my credit report, then I plan on filing with the Indiana and Texas State Attorney's General for Deceptive Business Practices and fraud.

Customer Service
does not uphold contractual obligations. Refuses to commit agreements in writing.

Vehicle Selection
Initial selection when making reservations is fine, however the ability to deliver reserved product is not there. I believe it's part of a "bait & switch" designed to drive profits by only providing higher rental cost vehicles to customers with valid reservations stranded in unfamiliar airport settings.

extortion

from South Carolina

Comments about Avis:

I rented a car from Avis using their web site. This was for a car that I would pick up at an airport in Turkey and return to different airport in Turkey. Insurance was optional and I did not chose to purchase insurance because my visa card has insurance for the car rental. After arriving at the airport in Turkey the person behind the counter would not allow me to pick up the car without purchasing insurance. I explained that I did not want this and that my credit card policy covers the rental car. This was not an issue of language barrier because I speak the local language. They insisted that I purchase the insurance or they would not allow me to get the car. Having already paid for the car online I felt I had no choice but the purchase the insurance or else lose the money I had already paid. After returning to the USA I complained to Avis about this and asked for a refund of the insurance. After I made many phone calls and waited 2 weeks they sent a very short email with only a few sentences and said that they "find he charges to be correct" without any farther explanation. I explained that this lack of explaining why they feel I was treated appropriately and should have been forced to purchase insurance is not acceptable. They asked that I wait while they review the issue again. 3 days later I received another very short email with the same explanation. I feel that I was treated unjustly and was forced to purchase something that I did not need. I also feel that Avis does not care to take time to fix this or explain to me why they feel that I should have been forced to purchase insurance for this rental. Extortion is the word that comes to mind. I was in a very difficult situation at an airport in a foreign country, picking up a car that I had already paid for an this situation was taken advantage of for profit. I will never use this company again.

Wouldn't Use Again

from Eustis, FL

Comments about Avis:

Attempted to rent a car from Avis once and I don't think I would ever try to use them again. I had reserved a rental car from Avis through expedia.com thinking I was getting a good deal for the amount of time I wanted to rent the car for. However, when it came time to actually pick up the rental they did not honor the price from expedia.com at all and wanted us to pay almost double the amount. I don't know if maybe the issue was that the Avis I was renting from was in the airport and most car rentals seem to be a bit higher at the airport anyway but my boyfriend and I ended up canceling the expedia reservation and renting from another rental place at the airport.

Refused to award Starwood points

from Hendersonville, TN

Comments about Avis:

I rented an Avis Car through the Starwood Preferred Guest Loyalty program (Link to the Avis Website with Coupon code to receive starpoints for rental), I never received the starpoints for the rental. I have called customer service twice and emailed multiple times to resolve the issue, and Avis refused to award starpoints.

Note: to qualify to receive the points I had to rent a compact car, instead of a economy car

Poor Customer Service
Lack of Integrity by Avis to honor loyalty program points

They set you up to rip youoff

from Phila. PA

Comments about Avis:

We rented a car with a defective tire. The tire was completely flat 2 days after we rented the car, Avis said if there was an issue with the tire they were responsible for the cost. A month later we receive a bill for the towing, not the tire. They claim we are responsible for the towing, not recognizing that their defective tire caused the problem, What a rip off. I have gone back and forth with customer service. Requested a call from a manager and got an email dismissing me. All very frustrating. There are many rental car companies so don't waste your money with them. If they give you a defective car they will not standby it unless YOU PAY for the insurance. IF this get's resolved I will keep you posted, but not looking good so far.

One Star because ZERO wasn't an option

from Texas, USA

Comments about Avis:

I will sum it up this way – DO NOT RENT FROM AVIS INTERNATIONALLY.

· Basically forced to buy "extra" insurance. Found this out the hard way when I didn't buy it…they put a hold of nearly $15K US on my credit card…meaning that available credit was no longer available on my card…you know, the one I needed to use for the entire vacation.

· Car had limited fuel and no washer fluid.

· "Customer Service" ….there is no such thing!

This experience has taught me that if you rent from Avis, assume you will need to pay whatever extras they are "pushing", otherwise you will end up with a huge hold on your card and a potential mess to deal with. Also, we learned Avis has "satellite" offices that aren't really Avis, so you have no leverage with them, they feel like mom and pop locations that are allowed to hang an Avis sign.

Avis should set very clear expectations to travelers of what can be expected when dealing with these "satellite" locations. In the future, I will run in the opposite direction when I see the name "Avis".

In no way could I in good conscience ever recommend someone deal with a company that almost single handedly ruined our entire vacation.

Buyer beware!

BEWARE AVIS WILL CHEAT YOU.

from Casar, NC

Comments about Avis:

After many years of renting with Avis I arrived at the Omaha airport at 11:30 p.m. After walking the considerable distance to the preferred booth I found no one there. I then walked all the way back to the Avis counter to retrieve keys for the vehicle I had reserved. The lady at the counter reached into a box of keys and came up with a Jeep Patriot. Not what I had rented but as it was now midnight I would take whatever I could get. I then walked back to the lot where the cars were parked. My right leg has several pins and screws in it and give me considerable pain after sitting for extended periods on flights so this was not a pleasant time for me already.
When I arrived at the vehicle it was dirty and smelled bad. It also had only ½ tank of gas and all other dash lights for AC, radio, cruise etc. did not work. As I was not up to walking all the way back to the counter I took the car. This was a big mistake.
I was very upset initially but as the days went by I decided to be a nice guy so I brought the car back with a full tank anyway. When the Avis representative checked the car in a was standing waiting for a receipt and he looked at me and rudely said your done you can go and walked away. I had been waiting not only for a receipt but for him to ask as usual if there were any problems with the car. Again I decided to be nice and just leave and not confront him. Again a mistake.
After a few days I received a notice that Avis was charging me $250.00 for smoking in the car. Initially I thought I would just contact customer service and explain the issue. Wrong again. The customer service person had no interest in hearing what I had to say. She just kept repeating I'm sorry but we are charging you the cleaning fee. Of course her tone of voice said she wasn't sorry and that she really didn't care.
I will now be renting exclusively form Hertz as their gold booth was still open that night when I flew in.
I am writing this as a warning to other people who rent cars.

International scam

from Powhatan, VA

Comments about Avis:

I rented in Panama, the country, not Florida. The company rents out vehicles that are damaged. The bumper pulled away from the car every time I drove it but I could not have known how bad the bumper was until I arrived at my destination. I had photographic evidence that the bumper was damaged before I left the dealership. When I returned, I was charged for a part of a light that fell off in precisely the area of the vehicle that had had pre-existing damage, hence this was a body integrity issue, not damage to the vehicle. The dealership charged me for the damage. I appealed to Avis international and all they did to "investigate" was to request a copy of the report from the dealership, and then they concluded that the charge was justified. It is my opinion that there is a massive scam going on here and Avis looks the other way, or is complicit in the scheme. I believe the dealerships don't repair the vehicles because multiple customers can be charged for damage to the same area of the car. For example, if there is a quarter panel dent, they don't fix it and wait for another customer to damage the same quarter panel. They then charge the second customer for damage to the same area even though previous damage wasn't fixed. If they ever fix it, it's only one quarter panel but until they repair it, they've been able to charge multiple customers for damage to the same area. In this way, a car becomes a major profit center for the company not through rentals, but by charging customers for damage to the same areas of the car. To me this appears to be one big scam and Avis international is doing nothing to stop it.

False information and ripped off

from Holland, MI

Comments about Avis:

I made a reservation online. I called beforehand to check if I could still apply a military discount at the counter even if I paid online, and was told "yes". My flight got delayed and I missed a connecting flight which caused a big change in my reservation time. With that, I would be returning my car after hours. I called Avis and told them this and they said "No problem, your initial price won't change."
I got to the car rental location and was first told that I would not be able to apply a military discount.
Then I told them I did no want any extra protection/coverage, and again told them I would be returning the car after hours. They said, "No problem, if they have a drop box, you're good to go. The price won't change."
Then I got my bills. The initial online charge was $106.87+mileage. I ended up getting another bill for $250.21 to total $357.08. On top of not getting a military discount, I got charged for two days because it was returned after hours due to the flight delay (even though I used it for 4 hours). And the odometer somehow indicated 253 miles when I drove directly home which is 174 miles, and they charged $27/ day for a coverage that I denied (my fault for signing the agreement, but still frustrating that they messed that up).
They won't do anything to help because according to their book, they can charge me for these things. The problem is that I was told false things multiple times and they don't care about your circumstance. They just want to suck you dry.

One of the Worst Car Rental Experiences

from Charlottetown PEI Canada

Comments about Avis:

I have been renting cars across North America, and this did not happen a lot which was a very dissatisfied experience with Avis Charlottetown PEI Canada.

1. Over charges for fuel. I knew the price of Avis for fuel is a little higher than gas stations, but you should not just rob people's money secretly - on the day when I returned my car I noticed that I only used less than 10% of the total fuel which I doubled checked and was quite sure, actually that was why I wanted to just return the car instead of going to a gas station first to save some time since it was not much usage. It turned out I was too naive - I checked my bank account later and they took me $45, which is almost a full tank's price for my rental car. Called and confirmed this. Quite interesting.

2. Need better call center reps training quality. I called them later asking about the issue. At the end of the call I said "Alright, thanks", and she said nothing but hang up the phone. Still interesting, does Avis provide customer service training, at all?

3. No manager calling back as promised. The say-nothing-but-hang-up-phone lady promised me the manager would call me back that afternoon to better explain the issue. I saved my afternoon staying in my office waiting for the call. It never happened, ever, even not in the next few days.

Very disappointed.

dont use

from Camp Hill, Pa

Comments about Avis:

I have used this company three times now and I always get the worst experience with them.