1.9

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Great Service, No Hassle

We have used Avis for a trip to New Jersey and Wisconsin from Ohio. Both times, we had great service without any hassles. I was able to use two discounts to get a great price that beat out all of the other rental companies, sometimes by more than 50%, even with similar discounts offered. The unlimited miles is a great bonus and they gave me a choice on car based on performance or fuel efficiency. The two vehicles were almost brand new also. The first had 1400 miles when we received it and the other only had 850. Did not hassle me to add the insurance coverage like I've experienced at a couple of the other rental agencies. Great experience. Would recommend.

Bait and Switch

I contracted for a rental car from Avis through Priceline for a trip my wife recently took. What a totally exasperating and frustrating experience. First, we reserved a small economy car several days prior to her travel giving Avis plenty of time to locate and make available the car we requested and paid for. Once she arrived at her destination airport she was informed that the car was unavailable and she would have to take a different type of car which would add several dollars a day to the cost; "Take it or leave it." She opted to take it. Next, she drove the car to her destination where it sat for several days. When she attempted to return to the airport (70 miles away) the dash display reflected an engine problem so she took the car to the nearest Avis site to exchange it for another car to get her to the airport. The employee's at the site provided her with a replacement of the original type we had requested and a bill much larger than our contract price (several hundred dollars more). The replacement car was turned in approx. 2 hours before the contract expiration at 2 PM. Within two days of her return home Avis starting hitting my credit card for numerous charges totalling almost $1600. more than the original contract. The CSR that was contacted responded to my inquiry by saying we had defaulted the original contract by turning in the defective car at a location other than where we had received it. Luckily, I have credit protection, cancelled my card to prevent even more charges and am now going through the hoops to recover the additional charges already charged, without authorization by Avis. Avoid this company, their business practices are decietful and dishonest.

Update: 4/25/2010  I spent several days trying to work this out with the Avis CSR group, but made no progress towards an amicable resolution. First, I insisted on all coorespondence through email for a written record of any agreement we came to. The Avis reps told me that actually I needed to deal with the Ft Wayne, Indiana site manager and it was not possible for him to use email, I would only be able to negotiate a settlement with him verbally on the phone. What major business in this day and age does not have email capabilities at their satellite sites? It's more likely that they do not want the site manager to commit to anything in writting, and I will not enter into a verbal negotiation with a company of this low calibre. As it stands now, I have recieved several letters from Avis informing me that I was no longer a "preferred" customer, and my account was being placed in collections. I'm now waiting for the account to hit my credit report, then I plan on filing with the Indiana and Texas State Attorney's General for Deceptive Business Practices and fraud.

Customer Service
does not uphold contractual obligations. Refuses to commit agreements in writing.

Vehicle Selection
Initial selection when making reservations is fine, however the ability to deliver reserved product is not there. I believe it's part of a "bait & switch" designed to drive profits by only providing higher rental cost vehicles to customers with valid reservations stranded in unfamiliar airport settings.

New York rentals filthy

from New York

Comments about Avis:

The only problem I have with renting a vehicle In New York is they don't take good care of their cars. Every car that i have rent was dirty inside and smelled horrible. Shame on you New York!!!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Unethical Business Practices with the Gas Service Option

from Honolulu

Comments about Avis:

I was happy with the car and the very generous upgrade but was very very disappointed in Avis business ethics. I opted for the Gas Service Option which I read very thoroughly online prior to choosing thinking I understood this policy. I then ended up returning the car unexpectedly with a tank that was 3/4 full thinking they would only charge me for filling the car with 1/4 of gas. WRONG! They charged me for the ENTIRE tank to be filled along with an abundance of additional service fees as if it was empty despite being at least 3/4 full. This is an unethical business practice and has really soured my opinion of Avis. Just plain wrong. This added an additional $114.22 cents to my bill. Most expensive gallon of gas ever. Never, ever again.

Great Service & Car

from Astoria, NY

Comments about Avis:

I booked a Avis car through my BjS account, i booked a Ford Fusion for pick up in Tampa at 12:30. I got there early due to early checkout from my hotel, they let me take the car early which was great. The guy that helped us was very informative and helpful got us on our way in less than 20 min. When we go outside we had a very nice and clean Nissan Altima was new and drove so smooth thanks Avis will definitely use you again!

great service !

from Farmington,Mi

Comments about Avis:

I rented a car in Farmington Hills on Grad River . I 've rented many cars before especially in Michigan .I had great service without any hassles. Mr.Jim who did all the paperwork was very friendly and helpful. He made sure that before I left I drove off with the car I wanted.Great experience. Would recommend. THank you very much.

AVIS CAR RENTAL EMPLOYEES THIEVES AND PROTECTS THEM

from Kaneohe, Hawaii

Comments about Avis:

We rented a car for AVIS on 9/13/2017 and returned it in perfect condition and full of gas as required by our rental agreement. I left my wallet in the car and when I realized what I had done I had to drive back to location as no one answered the phone and I had not received a notice text alert or call letting me know my wallet had been left in car. I immediately opened the wallet in front of staff once I insisted I had left it in car and they finally found it right there in lost and found. Of course every dime in the wallet had been taken. Approx $100 cash. When I mentioned this to the manager he said, "I can vouch for all my employees, no one here would have taken your money." OBVIOUSLY NOT SO! The manager at the Honolulu, Hawaii Airport location told me he would do his own investigation and assured me he would call me that night or the next day. NO CALL CAME IN. I called him 3 days after he was supposed to call me and he lied stating he called on 9/29. I let them know that if he could show proof that he'd called, we would let it all go. No proof was given. He said it was a he said, she said situation and too bad. We contacted the home office and "ALEX" assured me this would be looked into and I would receive a call back. He confirmed there was cameras. I said okay if you look at the camera footage and no one stole our money in clear view, we would let this go. No one has checked cameras or either they did and are keeping the truth at internal level and the hell with their customers. This company has no integrity and employees thieves and there is no accountability. I was offered $32 by home office and told they are not responsible if their employees steal from me. STILL NO CONFIRMATION OF VIEWED CAMERA FOOTAGE and NO APOLOGY FOR LYING TO US ABOUT CALLING US BACK. DO NOT RENT FROM THIS COMPANY AS THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS AT FAULT NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCE.

Lying Customer Service Reps

from Chicago

Comments about Avis:

My wife and I were traveling with our 1 year-old daughter to Charleston for a wedding and needed a rental car with a car seat to get from the airport to our hotel. On our way to the airport, we received notice that our flight was delayed and wouldn't be getting in to Charleston until around midnight.

Suspecting that the Avis rental counter might be closed by the time our flight got in, we called Avis customer service to check how late the counter would be open. The phone representative we spoke to told us in no uncertain terms that the counter would be closed by 11pm and that we wouldn't be able to pick up the car until the following morning.

Since we had our daughter with us, we couldn't just take a cab from the airport, so we called, arranged, and paid for a car service to pick us up with a car seat at the airport. When we landed in Charleston, it turned out that the Avis counter was still open after all, and the phone representative we spoke to was wrong. Despite being able to pick up our rental as originally planned, it was too late to cancel the car service since the driver was waiting for us when we landed.

When we explained what happened to the Avis counter representative, he was very apologetic and accommodating, telling us that he would be applying a credit for the amount we paid for the car service to our rental total.

At that point everything was good except that they provided an extremely cheap and unsafe car seat that we had to swap out.

Fast forward to today, and after multiple phone calls and emails with Avis customer service, Avis took weeks to undue an overcharge of almost $300 on our credit card and has refused to provide the credit for the car service promised by its representative.

It's clear to me that Avis prioritizes its profits over serving customers and following through with the promises made by its representatives. Do yourself a favor and rent with another company. Avis doesn't deserve your hard-earned money.

AVIS Car Rental Reservation Deceitful

from Mpls MN

Comments about Avis:

NEVER use Avis Rental. The company uses bait and switch, long lines and out and out lies at the rental counter! They are snakes and will "misrepresent" the upgrades if you chose to go with one. Once your rental is returned you can easily find out that the rental will more than double your rental bill. Sky Harbor in PHX is bar far the worst. I tried calling the Manger on Duty only to find out that he/she will never answer the phone, or return the call. Please read reviews... this company is a scam!! One would think that a major car rental company like AVIS wouldn't have to resort to these tactics!!

Avis Rental car establishment SUQS

from Cleveland Ohio

Comments about Avis:

They have terrible customer service both in store and over the phone.

Don't Rent Avis in Israel

from Atlanta GA

Comments about Avis:

We rented from Avis-Budget in Israel and had the worst experience of our lives. The car was delivered to us in a dark garage. When I arrived to pick up my family, it was clear that the car was a wreck, complete with cigarette burns, blood stains on the ceiling, rips in the seats, rusted handles..The stench became evident after the air freshner wore off. We were on our way to a memorial service but called to ask for an exchange. Nobody answered for 24 hours (to which a local Avis rep said- hey that happens in the US too) When we returned it we were told that they had been too busy to check the cars they sent out. We asked for a refund minus the insurance. They offered us $40 if we didn't complain. We opted to take it up with national Avis to discover that it would have nothing to do with it other than say tough luck. You have other choices. Avoid Budget-Avis particularly overseas. They just subcontract and abrogate responsibility. Pictures are available.

Never trust Avis in St. Maarten

from Phila.,Pa.

Comments about Avis:

Stay away from Avis. I reserved a car on 5 weeks in advance of my scheduled arrival on Dec. 21. Avis sent several confirming emails, as recently as 2 days before I arrived.

It seems that Avis can take reservations but can't honor them. They said they had no cars available.Their little rental office was crammed with irate stranded vacationers whose reservations were dishonored. Their staff became annoyed at the protests. Most of us lost several hours trying to find cars elsewhere, after an already long travel day. I will never again use Avis ANYWHERE. No one can trust Avis.