2.1

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Alamo Car Rental has cheap prices, a good car fleet & service!

On two recent trips to Florida, we wanted to rent SUVs. My husband and I avoid the family minivans as often as we can! For us, small SUVs give us the room we need with 2 adults, 2 kids and lots of luggage!We went on to Travelocity and [Expedia][1] to compare prices of the various car rental companies. The basic cost for a small minivan was $450 per week in Naples Florida. Ouch! We then turned to Hotwire to see if we could get a bargain. (For those that know me, you know that I love to get nice things-- but I love to get a deal more!) [Hotwire][2] accepted my bid at $250 for a week long SUV. In both cases, we were assigned **Alamo Rental Car **for our car pick-up. ***Go Alamo-- thanks for being half price!!***When arriving in Naples, we were pleasantly surprised how closeby the Alamo Rental counter was to the baggage area. It was the first counter just across the street from our luggage pick up. The line was a little long, and a little slow, but the staff was very pleasant and very accomodating. In our case, [United Airlines][3] lost my sons car seat so we needed to rent a car seat last minute. Alamo was great about getting him all set up. Then, we were assigned our car-- an SUV. We were told we could go out to the lot and pick out any SUV we wanted. They had Saturns, Pontiacs, Chryslers, Toyotas, etc. All seemed reasonable options. The car attendant outside was super helpful. He knew all the cars and suggested the one that we should take--the Equinox.  We started loading our luggage into the car when he came zipping around the corner in a different car. He told us we had to switch to this other car because it was nicer, had a better stereo system and was newer. He proceeded to take all our bags out of our car and load us up! How nice!!!We were off and running with our Alamo Rental Car. At half the price, we definitely got full service and a decent car for our trip. Also, United found my sons car seat mid-way through our trip and Alamo let us return the car seat rental and get our money back for the days we didnt use it. Overall, I would recommend Alamo Rental Car.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Expedia-com-reviews

[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Hotwire-com-reviews

[3]: http://www.viewpoints.com/United-Airlines-reviews

I'm embarrassed to say this company ripped me off TWICE

I should have known better. They screwed me about 6 months ago by claiming a small parking lot ding was my fault and trying to bully me into paying for it. I've never had a car rental company come after me for a parking lot ding before, and I swore I'd never use the company again. But a few months later their price difference was so significant I couldn't pass it up, and I decided to give them another try.

This time I went through beforehand and pointed out every smudge, scratch and fleck of missing paint that I could find. When I returned the car, I had the attendant look the car over carefully, and she gave me a "everything is fine." But, alas, a few days later I received a letter, first thanking me for my business, then saying there was a problem. The letter did not specify the problem, but only asked me to send them my insurance information. I know, this definitely falls into the "Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me" category, but I have really, really, really learned my lesson this time.

HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

from Houston, TX

Comments about Alamo:

If I was able to give 0 stars that would be my option. Last night as my family and I were leaving the Alamo exit gate, the gate barricade arm came down while we were proceeding to exit. By the barricade arm prematurely coming down this caused damage to on our car on the roof of the car, both doors on the driver side, and popping both of our rear tires with the spikes that are triggered to come out when the barricade arm comes down. There are no signs that say one car at a time or anything like that. However, there are signs that say wrong way, stop, serve tire damage, don't enter, and warning do not back up severe tire damage. We were not backing up we were exiting, driving forward, and were over the sensor when the barricade arm came down. However, Alamo is claiming no liability and would not even provide us with another car to get home last night as we could not fit in the tow truck. The manager on duty was Andre and the clerk was Susan. Oh I forgot to mention that was the second time we had proceeded through the gate and the first time we had no issue getting out because she held the button. If you are wondering why we had to go in again well I forgot something in the rental so we had to go back. We arrived at Alamo at 6:30 and were not able to leave until after 9pm if I remember correctly. The customer service experience was HORRIBLE and I will never rent another car from Alamo and if I can save someone the heartache of dealing with this this is what I want to do. Spend a little more money and have a great experience.

Expensive to rent a mid size car or any car

from Somerville, MA

Comments about Alamo:

You get very courteous service at the Ft. Lauderdale, Florida airport location but they are very expensive. I've been a loyal customer for many years. So I'm looking now to try to find an alternative where renting a decent car is reasonable in price. I can not afford 60 plus dollars a day for a mid size car rental. It's outrageous.

I ONLY RENT FROM THEM!!

from Toronto, Ontario

Comments about Alamo:

I had personal car issues and had to rent a car everyday for 2 months. I had a great customer service experience with them every time. The staff is super friendly and helpful. Their vehicles are all well-maintained and clean. After I realized how great and affordable they are, they are the only ones I rent from now. There really isn't any downside to them except their small fleet size, so make sure to book in advance.

Very bad experience

from Queens, NY

Comments about Alamo:

My nightmare began when i reached Cali international Airport in Colombia. My flight from Miami international was delayed due to aircraft maintenence, so instead of arriving at 7pm i arrived an hour later. Upon arrival my flight was met by passengers from another international flight. I waited at Colombian Immigration for an hour. I decided to call Alamo to confirm my arrival and was told if i was not at their office by 9 pm i was not going to be able to get a car unless i payed the agent 50,000 colombian pesos to wait for me regardless of the fact that i had booked with them and that my delay was not my fault. When i got to the office luckily the agent still had a cutomer and decided to take me as well with no charge. Upon finishing the paper work i told the agent my outbound the week later was at 730 am and was the only outbound to Miami on American Airlines. Once again the agent tells me they open at 7am if i want someone there earlier i would have to pay him 50,000 Colombian pesos. I told the agent if they can At Least open 30 minutes earlier that would give me enough time to board my flight. The agent agreed with out charging me and updated my drop off time. On the day i was to drop off the vehicle i got to the airport at 6am and was ready to go to board my flight all i needed was for someone to take the vehicle. The agent did not arrive at 630am NOR did he arrive at 7am when they open their office, he arrived at 7:20am 10 minutes before my flights departure. He claimed he did not know but upon looking up my reservation he found out that indeed the drop off time was 6:30 am. This individual did not even apologize he kept saying he did not know, he checked the car for damages and returned my deposit money and walked away. And there i was no flight, no car and no one to help. I had to purchase a ticket with another airline to go to Bogota and take an outbound to Miami from there. DO NOT RENT WITH ALAMO they are irresponsible and careless.

ALAMO CAR RENTAL SANDFORD

from united kingdon

Comments about Alamo:

We recently returned home from holiday to find an unexpected £300 credit card bill for Alamo Car Rental in Sandford!

Our Holiday was booked via Thomson Holidays who use Alamo and we upgraded and paid for our car pre arrival. On arrival in Sandford the Alamo Agent said to us as we had used the company several times before he would do a free upgrade, which we though was a kind gesture, we said the agreement which he put in front of us only to find he gave us this upgrade but at a cost of £300, after contacing Alamo they are not interested that their agent conned/robbed us and did not tell us there was an additional charge, beware travellers make sure all your upgrades and bought and paid for prior to travel, they will also tell you on arrival the car your ordered is not available again another way of getting more money from your!

limited convertibles and bad services.

from Miami, Fl

Comments about Alamo:

During our vacation in Miami I wanted to rent a Convertable and they did not have any available. Selection of vihecles were limited. I would not rent from Alamo again.

Rent a car any way BUT BY Alamo 800 # :

from New york

Comments about Alamo:

I rented an Alamo car rental vehicle in late 2015 and was very pleased w/ all employees that my daughter & I encountered except the initial pick up of car. We were asked customary initial information & standaed questions but when asked if we wanted partial or full insurance coverage, we thought we needed it , so naturally the cheapest ( partial) we chose. But found out later that day that we didnt need any insurance & the representative never stated thst. So we charged another approx $200 for the rental.
The 6 days we had the car was fine.. No issues We rented another car a week later for a day and again all went fine n offered ins again and we lol and gladly said NO! We went under our iwn vehicke insurance.

Just over 6 months later:
I alone rented from Alamo the last minute after arriving in Denver, Colorado late at night. All went smoothly and after the initial 3 day rental, I needed to extend my lease for another 5 days ( this time one way) . So I called the 800 # n sooke to a pleasant woman who said I'll save $220 by returning vehicle and renting anothe at same time. So I drive to airport where the rental lot was and returned car immaculately clean inside n out and went inside with my two new passengers ( my adult daughter & friend) and Processed car out and continued to rent another car for my 5 day one way journey. Hmm here's where trouble and inconvenience et al started. I WAS NOT given a confirmation number from 800 rep so I coukdnt rent a car though my bank account said the $897.-- fee was pending . Grr! I couldn't het originsl vehicle back tho I returned it 5 hours early because it was processed out of the computer and my account was too low with the pending fee to rent another vehicle.
Omg! We're stuck at noisy airport! So I spoke to Alamo manager and he coukdnt do anything but he was patient unlike my behavioral challenged , hungry passengers. So I called my family and we had ( to be cont'd next on next review?) ....

Avoid death traps

from Edmonton, AB

Comments about Alamo:

Lip service is no service. I will be writing more reviews concerning Alamo, but I have to start somewhere. In March we rented a Nissan Altima from Alamo. When the trunk was unlatched it swung open and took out the back window, covering both of my children, whom were in the back seat, in broken glass. It is a mircale that neither of them got any in their eyes. When I called them I got all kinds of lip service and concern, but when push comes to shove they have not done anything tangible to show that they are sorry for A) renting us a defective car that could have blinded my child and B) keeping a car on their fleet that has a poorly designed trunk (when opened fully the tip of the trunk is less than an inch from the back glass). I have paid your replacement cost. I hope that having me pay the $300 replacement is worth how I am going to share this experience with others in hopes that they will reconsider doing business with you. I am sincerely disappointed that all you care about is money and you could not show that you are sorry by taking action to make this right.

I would recommend Alamo Car Service to anyone

from Monroe michigan

Comments about Alamo:

The service I received at the Alamo in Houston Lakesha was friendly and exceptional. Upon my returning of the car they were just as polite and courteous as the time I rented the car. I would recommend Alamo to anyone looking to rent a car

Had an excellent experience!

from Houston, TX

Comments about Alamo:

My husband and I took a trip to Maine and rented a from Alamo at the Manchester, MA, airport. We were very pleased with the service, no hidden fees, car was in great condition (actually a brand new car), and the return was well organized. We would recommend this company especially at the Manchester airport. At least we had a positive experience there. Thank you for making our trip enjoyable.