Other Shampoos:
Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo

Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo

Pros

Cons

This one's Head and Shoulders above the Classic!

Hey!  Hey!  *HEY*!  **Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment** means business!

Hey!  Hey!  *HEY*!  **Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment** means business!

Its *Active Ingredient -- Selenium Sulfide* -- is entirely different from the bestselling *Head and Shoulders Classic Clean*'s *Pyrithione Zinc*.  There's even more verbiage on the bottle about preventing "itching, scaling, irritation and redness associated with dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis".  This moderate to severe discomfort is the stuff of nightmares.

**Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment** is PH balanced for use everyday.  *Procter and Gamble* recommends its use at least twice a week for effectiveness.  The shampoo itself smells more industrial than *Classic Clean* and slowly pours out in a serious orange color.

**Intensive Treatment** sudses well, feels good on the scalp, and doesn't alter hair texture.  ***IF***, however, ***you have bleached, tinted, grey or permed hair, you are cautioned to do a ****five-minute rinse***.

Dr. James R. Schwartz, PhD at ***Scalp School*** (*www.headand shoulder.com*) tries to bust the "myth" that changing dandruff shampoos periodically can make each shampoo more effective.  My dermatologist, Dr. David Denenholz, MD, advised me that "some people are helped by changing shampoos" if symptoms return.

In my experience Dr. Denenholz is right.  **Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment **works well for several shampoos before my itching resumes, and I need to go to another product for a while.

I am, I admit, a hard case.  I've recently found a dandruff shampoo that seems to work for the long haul -- [Walgreens-Therapeutic-T-PLUS-Shampoo-review-ba042][1] .  If it fails me, **Intensive Treatment** is waiting in the wings as my first-choice alternative.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Walgreens-Therapeutic-T-PLUS-Shampoo-review-ba042

Did not work for me

I suffer from bad dandruff but more during the winter time. The first day I used this I actually did notice a difference. I have it really made mainly in the very front of my hairline so it is very noticeable. I used it and was happy the first day since it minimized it. But any other times after that it did not work well. It ended up drying my hair and my scalp up pretty bad so I not only had dandruff i have dry scalp and dry hair. I stopped using it right away when I noticed it was not working, only damaging my hair and scalp. I had to put lotion on daily to get the dryness taken care of. I would not recommend this shampoo. Everyone is different so it may work for you but I suggest to use it with caution. This was the worst thing to happen after having to deal with so much dandruff then this to top it off.

Did not work for me

from Brooke tx

About Me Professional Stylist

Pros

• Great Smell

Cons

• Dries Hair Out
  • Ineffective

• Hair Type:
    • Straight Hair

Truly Intensive Shampoo

from Eastlake, OH

Comments about Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo:

All the months of the dry air and the furnace being on has dried out my scalp and I am flaking rather badly. I had tried generic dandruff shampoos with no relief from the itching. This shampoo gave me real relief from the itching but caused my hair to become very dry and it did cause quite a bit of my hair color to rinse out. Please be cautious if you have just colored your hair. I had colored mine about three weeks prior and I still had color loss.

On the point of stopping the itching and flaking of dandruff this formula gets a 10. This is very medicinal and has kept my flaking and itching at bay for two weeks now. Just be cautious that this will be a little rough on your actual hair. I used a very thick conditioner when I was using this.

This does not have the typical Head and Shoulders scent. This is certainly more medicinal. Very strong and it does stay with you for the entire day.

Not worth the extra money

Comments about Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo:

This shampoo was good for my dandruff control but i didnt find that it worked better or quicker than regular head and shoulders shampoo so I haven't purchased it again. This shampoo lathered in my hair well and washed out fast. The smell was a little more like medicine; a floral or fruity smell would be a lot nicer. This shampoo helped eliminate flakes and made my scalp feel soothed in three days of use. This shampoo relieved my itchy scalp and felt very good on my scalp as I lathered it. The bottle lasted a long time. I recommend it for winter time when I have very dry skin because it moisturized my scalp without making my hair oily. It was gentle enough for daily use.

It works well but I wouldn't buy it again because it is expensive. It helps relieve dry skin on the scalp as well as flakes.

The smell is not very appealing; smells like medicine or a bit like chemicals. I did not like the smell.

Removes my dandruff and stops the itching

Comments about Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo:

From time to time I get dandruff, my scalp gets extremely itchy and it gets irritated. I always have a hard time finding that shampoo that will removes it all. I tried the Head and Shoulders intensive treatment shampoo and I noticed my dandruff decreased in just a few uses. It reduced the itching and it deep cleaned my scalp. I always massage the shampoo onto my scalp for a few minutes just to remove most of the dandruff. The smell isn't all that great but it works minimizing the buildup and dandruff. My hair feels a lot cleaner and it looks a lot healthier. I like how its really soothing to my scalp and it bring relief to any irritation that I get. Its really refreshing to my scalp and hair and it makes me feel confident after. I would recommend this to anybody with a lot of dandruff I had a lot and it made it better in a week. I used it for a full week everyday and it didn't dry out my scalp. I got a little shampoo in my eye and it burned so just be careful and avoid getting into the eyes I rinsed it out with water and it felt better.

Works best overall

Comments about Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo:

Out of all the anti-dandruff shampoos I have tried. This one is the best for me. Others such as the Classic Clean would either break out my forehead or leave a film on my hair. This specific shampoo keeps my hair not only smelling clean it also leaves it soft and takes away the scalp itch and is the best for my dandruff. I can't switch to anything else or I will be miserable. The scent isnt to bad and it isnt as harsh as T-Gel type shampoos. I also like that when i brush my hair I dont get the squeeking sound that I have gotten with T-Gel brand shampoos.

This is the most effective anti-dandruff shampoo that I have used - no more scalp itching and no more dandruff!

The scent is nice. While I like fruity smelling shampoos this one is ok but the best I have encountered for its effectiveness. People have often asked what brand it is because they like the scent and have always been surprised when I tell them Head and Shoulders Intensive treatment!

It cleans and fights dandruff but the scent is awful

Comments about Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo:

So the primary purpose of this is to fight dandruff and heal your scalp, and it does that. However, it smells so badly that it really detracts from the product. It has an almost clinical smell to it. For me, that makes me buy a competing brand that fights dandruff just as well but doesn't smell like a dentists office.

Your scalp will than you dearly.

Comments about Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo:

Overall it's a really good dandruff shampoo but beware of the sick smell.

It really works like it says it does. I've had bad dandruff all my life and it's only ever gotten worse with age. I've tried every over the counter shampoo and conditioner you can think of but the results were always the same. When I first tried this stuff it was recommended to me by my doctor and a hair stylist. I had promptly ignored the doctor until my hairstylist spoke up in agreement. It really did the trick though and after a double wash my hair and scalp were left clean of all dandruff, oils, and dirt. The thing however that made me love it was that it didn't come back the next day. Now i use this stuff like it's a ritual every two weeks and I rarely ever even see a hint of dandruff.

The scent is absolutely horrible. It's strong and completely distasteful. If I had to describe it I say it smelled like wet dog. The worst park is that the smell sometimes sticks and your stuck smelling like you've been rolling around in a field all day.

Works well but has strong smell

Comments about Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo:

I like this shampoo as it does help with reducing dandruff. I have found though that when I go a week or two without using it, my dandruff comes back. I usually use it two or three times a week which seems to be a reasonable amount. I found that rubbing the shampoo into your scalp using your fingertips is most effective. I then leave the shampoo in for a good 5 minutes. Everything is great about this product except for its smell... oh my it is strong! It smells like many chemicals thrown together which is reassuring as that is why it must be working but the smell is irritating. Others have commented on the smell which was quite embarrassing. I would prefer if it smelt like mint... Overall good product though!

The smell is way too strong for me although I will continue to use this product. I have tried other Head and Shoulders products and the smell was much better. There should be different scents available. The shampoo smells very strong even once rinsed out of your hair.

H&S works. And smells good, too.

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo:

I first started using Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment shampoo in high school, but I recently (like, a year or two ago) started buying it again when both the husband and I came down with a few flakes. Our flakes are long gone, but we're still buying this shampoo and using it regularly. It definitely does help get rid of the dandruff, but it is also an all-around good shampoo: it lathers up really nicely, cleans hair well, rinses clean, and smells good in a gender-neutral way. This may seem like a silly complaint, but the shampoo's color sort of bothers me: it is orange. Not just orange, but ORANGE. You'd never guess from that navy blue bottle, would you? Anyway, it just kind of weirds me out to willingly slather something so ORANGE in my hair. And sometimes the shampoo can get on the shower curtain or the shower wall and dry without my noticing, and then I have ORANGE spots in my shower. But other than that, it's great stuff.

relief!

from East Moline, IL

Comments about Head & Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo:

I bought this after going through long bouts of an extremely itchy scalp that brought on major flaking and irritation on my scalp. The itch went away with the first use, and approximately 5 washes later the flakes all cleared up. The price point is pretty high but because I don't have to use it for every wash (down to about once a week for scalp maintenance) it lasts, and I would pay for it anyway because of it's effectiveness.

Excellent at getting of itchiness, and after several washes flakes disappear also.

I find the scent really strong, clinical, and repulsive. I only use this when I know I'm not going out for the day because the scent really sticks to my hair. The scent is the only thing I would really want to change about this.