Other Frozen Foods:

Haagen Dazs Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

Just plain wonderful!

from Oak Park, IL

Comments about Haagen Dazs Vanilla Frozen Yogurt:

As you can tell, the ice cream and frozen yogurt sales are still raging around here and I've been stocking up so now is a good time for me to take a stand on these sweet, icy cold goodies.  Basically, here is how I feel -- fancy flavors may come and go but the real test of an ice cream maker is the quality of their "just plain vanilla."  If someone told me I had only an hour left to live and asked me what kind of ice cream I wanted, I would have to say *"Vanilla!"* and if possible *Haagen Daz* vanilla.

I will admit though that I didn't hold out great hope for this healthy alternative.  It's easier to palm off something second-rate in a fancy exotic flavor when it comes to low fat but I was prepared to be fussy about Just Plain Vanilla.  So you can believe me when I say that this stuff is NOT BAD, not bad at all.  Of course, it's not as rich as the glorious original but in some ways I prefer the flavor.  Some "light" versions of things are just that -- extra air beat into them and just not as satisfying -- but this frozen yogurt has a nice dense quality which will be rich enough for most people.

A single serving (defined as half a cup) contains 180 calories with 25 from fat, or 2.5 grams total fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 50 mg. cholesterol, 9 grams protein, 31 grams total carbs, 22 grams sugars, 50 mg. sodium.  Bringing up the end of the parade are 20% (D.V.) Calcium and 2% Vitamin A.  This is still a rich dessert but ...

**Haagen Daz Vanilla Bean Ice Cream**

Alas, this is also delicious and it should be!  A single serving (half a cup) contains 290 calories (almost as much as in some frozen entrees!) with 160 calories from fat -- 18 grams total fat, 11 grams saturated fat, *even half a gram trans fat*, 105 mg. cholesterol, 75 mg. sodium, 26 grams total carbs, and 26 grams sugars.  There is less protein (5 grams vs. 9 grams) than in a comparable serving of Vanilla Frozen Yogurt and also less Calcium (10% vs. 20% D.V. in the yogurt) but a little more Vitamin A (10% vs. 2%) and even a bit of Iron (2%).

The bottom line is this -- the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is a glorious treat but indulge in it too often and the day when you have only one hour left to live may arrive sooner than it should!

You deserve an award for trying the Vanilla Frozen Yogurt and here is a great idea ... top with a couple tablespoons of warmed Marzetti Fat-Free Caramel Apple Dip, some fresh berries, and a garnish of Reddi-Whip Light Whipped Cream!