3.7
Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews

Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews

3.7

My dogs love them

My dogs love these - I have no idea why because they smell horrible - but they are suposed to be good for them and really do make their breath smell better. They also come in all sizes which is great because sometimes it is difficult to find things for smaller dogs. They do not last long at all though (they devour them) and are pretty expensive, but, hey, whatever makes momma's babies happy!

Beware of this product for strong chewers!

I have a story that hopefully cautions some pet owners to risks there are with these edible Greenie products.  I have a pet Chihuahua, that at the time, was only a few years old.  He can definitely be a voracious chewer when the item is edible and is usually a serious chow-hound.  When we came across Greenies, it seemed like a perfect way to help keep his teeth clean, especially since we knew he'd take to them right away since they are edible.  Well, our dog loved them so much, that on one occasion, after he had finished chewing the majority of the Greenie and just had the stub left, he swallowed it.  We were very worried that the size would be too large for his system to pass, and sure enough a day or so later, he was at the vet because he had an intestinal blockage due to the Greenie.  After a series of xrays, an attempt to remove it endoscopally, and finally having it surgically removed (not to mention a HUGE vet bill), the Greenie was out.  We were very fortunate to get him to the vet when we did because we have come to learn there are many of dogs that have died from these kinds of blockages, and after doing some research, we had come to find that there were a number due to Greenies.  Obviously our situation isn't the norm because of our dog's eating behavior, but if you have a dog that is similarly in love with their food or anything deemed edible and could potentially eat something that could block their digestive track, I would definitely recommend looking at a different chew option.

They are okay

from MI

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Cleans Teeth

Cons

• Unhealthy

Comments about Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews:

I am on the fence about these little greenies. My dog has two issues: really bad breath, and a super sensitive stomach. Being a small dog I think both of these are common issues. We have tried many, many things over the past 11.5 years of her life to try and clean up her bad breath, but not much has worked. We tried these petite greenies several different times, and I did feel that for a short time they did make her breath smell better, but she always eventually threw up after eating these. So, for us it was sort of a weighing out the risks/benefits situation. Her breath really is terrible, and I do feel that these freshened it, but in the end it wasn't worth making her throw up after each time eating one. I think these do work for a lot of dogs, but for us they ended up being too expensive to continue to purchase when she really ended up getting sick as a result. I don't think the product is necessarily to blame, as she does get sick whenever eating anything outside of her usual diet, but these just weren't worth it for us.

My Tiny Dog Loves Them!

from Hartford, CT

Pros

• Cleans Teeth

Comments about Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews:

I purchased these online thinking that Petite would be the right size for my Chihuahua. Actually, this size is recommended for dogs 15 to 25 pounds so they were much too big for my little guy, but too large for my much larger breed puppy.

My Chihuahua does have a great time carrying them around and gnawing on the small end. He doesn't seem bothered that they are much too large for him. It keeps him occupied for ages and his doggie breath seems to have improved since he's started with them. I haven't noticed any particular difference in his dental health beyond better breath but he likes them. He actually seems to enjoy the Freshmint flavor and the rather odd green color.

Since my dog is so small in relation to the treat these last an incredibly long time so they're an incredible value. They run about $9 for a pouch of 20 treats so they can be a bit pricey but they are often on sale at the major pet retail stores and when combined with a coupon they become much more economical.

Overall, these are a hit with my dog but make sure to buy the size appropriate to your breed.

A real toss up

Comments about Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews:

One of the things I love most about my dog is that he is an ox. He's huge and the only thing he will usually turn down is extra covers! I received a Greenies sample invitation from a freebies site and figured it was worth a try. It took a little while to receive them but once I did I got a kick out of the design. I think it is quite creative in shape and color. Making it land with my big boy was something entirely different. He was not impressed at all. I smelled it and even looked it over to get a better understanding to why he simply refused to take part in indulging in this mini dental treat. I couldn't understand it and he would simply pick it up between his teeth and toss it around the house. For a while he used it as nothing more than an amusing toy to toss about until I came up with what I thought to be a brilliant idea at first. I had to purchase a jar of sugar free peanut butter. I spread a very thin layer - almost transparent and gave the Greenies Chew back to him. He licked the peanut butter off and continued to toss the Greenies around in a carefree manner. On the bright side, I found something he won't eat and they make a great toy that is very easy to replace and equally inexpensive. A box of these will last at least a year for him. As for the peanut butter - well, I am eating a bit healthier these days.

My pups enjoy them

from TN

Comments about Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews:

I always try to take care of my three dogs as well as I know how to. I have the hardest time with their dental care. My dogs absolutely hate when I try to brush their teeth, so I do not feel like I am doing it as good as it needs to be done. I saw these Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews at my local WalMart and decided to give them a try. At first I did not think they were going to be very good for my dogs because they seemed skeptical at even trying them. After a while they finally started to chew on them and really seemed to enjoy them. These chews really did help my dogs teeth. They were noticeably whiter. My favorite thing about the chews is the fact that they helped their breath tremendously! The price of these chews seemed high to me at first, but After seeing how well they worked I changed my mind. I would definitely recommend these chews for their dogs because they do work. I feel better when my dogs have these because I know they are helping them, especially on those days where brushing their teeth is near impossible.

• Side Effects:

My squirrel dog loves it!

Comments about Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews:

I have tried every canine dental treat I could find for my little squirrel dog. Being a squirrel dog, he had absolutely horrid breath. So I went out and bought him a thing of the Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews. I must say, I love the adorable design of the bone too! So cute! I came home and told my dog I had a bone for him and he got super excited. He was wagging his tail and hopping up and down and grinning from ear to ear. It was so cute. I gave him one of the Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews and he sniffed it, grabbed it and took off like a little furry rocket! He loves these canine dental chews and I could not be happier! His teeth and gums look better, and his breath smells considerably better. I will never again buy any other brand of canine dental chews! I love these! My dog gets so excited when I go anywhere near the cabinet where I keep his Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews. He gets that "Do I get a treat? Huh? Huh?" look on his face and I just have to give in and give him one! They are so great!

Works okay

Comments about Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews:

We have a little pug who has periodontal disease. So instead of brushing her teeth all the time our veterinarian suggested getting her dental sticks. We adopted her as an older dog and she struggled with us brushing her teeth. We have done the Pedigree dentastixs and they have worked out well, so I thought I would try out this brand. It turns out that I didn't like the Greenies as much as I liked the Pedigree kind. Do not get me wrong, our little dog loves to eat these as a treat. But that's about it. They are so small I don't feel as if they help her teeth and it seems like she gulps them right down. I do like the concept of the Greenies, their shape is better and that they have a pointy end to help massage her gum tissues. But these little chew sticks were too small and when we tried the larger ones with her they didn't work as well as the Pedigree ones did either. The only time we give them to our dog is when my mother-in-law buys them for our pug and we just give them to her as a treat. I really don't feel like it helps her teeth that much at all. But I could see how they would be beneficial for perhaps a smaller dog like a terrier or dachshund.

Nice Dog Treats

from Southfield, MI

Comments about Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews:

I like these dog treats, at least for my small dog. For my Pomeranian these are a nice treat. The large Greenies Dental Chews aren't so great for my big dogs. Both my Pit Bull and Black Lab just crunch through them like they're biscuits. These cost too much for them to just be done with them in a few seconds. The petite ones however, work well. It takes my Pomeranian a while to finish chewing these Greenies treats. I can't say for certain that they're cleaning her teeth, but I believe that they are. Her breath does seem fresher since we started using them on a regular basis. She also seems to enjoy chewing them. She's pretty picky too, there are treats that she'll just drop on the floor and leave behind.

Quality of Ingredients
        I believe that this company uses high quality ingredients in these Greenies Petite Dental Chews.

Side Effects
        We haven't had any bad or even unpleasant side effects after using Greenies Petite Dental Chews. If you consider improved breath smell a side effect, the. It's definitely a good one!

• Quality of Ingredients:

High hopes were dashed

Comments about Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews:

These treats came HIGHLY recommended by pet store employees (even my daughter, who works at a pet store with organic/natural leanings), but honestly, I am on the fence about them. Although my dog eats them when I drop them on the floor in front of her, she will not TAKE them out of my hand. This is weird for my treat-happy pup, and leads to my lower overall rating.

Additionally, as a "dental chew," I don't notice any difference in her breath or her teeth. So as pricey as they are, I don't know that I will buy them again.

Quality of Ingredients
        I'm very certain that the ingredients are of high quality, but they do not make my dog go wild with anticipation. So it really seems to me that high-quality ingredients do not make this a high-quality product. I rate this a 9 for the ingredients but a 5 for my dog's interest in those ingredients.

Side Effects
        I have not noticed any side effects of using this product. Unfortunately, I also have not noticed the effects that USING the product is supposed to create.

• Quality of Ingredients:
        • Side Effects:

The dog loves these greenies

Comments about Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews:

We buy greenies for our westie all of the time. She loves them and begs for them every night. It's funny to watch her because she plays with it like she's a cat before she eats it. It help freshen her breath as she needs it often. I would recommend these to all of your dogs. It's also great on her stomach. She is sensitive too a lot of different kinds of treats.

She wasn't having it

Comments about Greenies Petite Canine Dental Chews:

After hearing lots of other pet owners talking about how great the Greenies Dental Chews were supposed to be, I thought I would try to these just to change up her treats. I tried everything to get my little dog to take the treat. Each time she would turn her nose at it and walk away which is must mean it was not appealing to her at all as she eats almost anything. I tried several times with no luck. I did end up giving them to a neighbor whose rather large dog didn't mind. The greenies are easy to find at about any store. I myself would not purchase these treats again as it was just a waste of money in my own opinion. The treats didn't seem to have a smell to them which my be the reason my little dog wouldn't have anything to do with them. I would suggest if you are planning on trying the Greenies for your baby, to first see if you can find a sample or perhaps sign up for a sample pack online.