Other Dog Healths:
Flea & Tick Treatment, Shampoos
Vpl Adams
Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs

Vpl AdamsAdams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs

Pros

• Effective (3)
  • Gentle (3)
  • Good value (3)

• Reviewer Profile:
    • Long-time pet owner (3)

Makes my dog look like a fluffy dandelion. And kills fleas.

My dog is terribly allergic to fleas. If he gets one, it is like he has 100 and if he gets 100, he is bald. He will chew and scratch himself until his skin is raw and bleeding. But, of course, we don't let things get that far now that we know his issues.

We use Advantage (see review) for flea control but, before we apply that, we always bathe Mickey with **Vpl Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo 12oz.** This shampoo was sold to us by our vet but I believe it is available at better pet stores as well. It works! It kills fleas and makes my dog's fur fluffy and clean. And the scent is great.

**The Product and Our Use**

This shampoo is typical flea shampoo in that you need to lather and TRY to wait a few minutes for it to work. My dog turns into a slippery eel when he is wet and he slips and slides all over the place but we manage to keep the shampoo on him for at least three to four minutes before he gets whipped into a frenzy.

The lather is great and the scent is fresh and very clean. Luckily, it rinses off quickly leaving no residue behind. This shampoo kills any fleas on my dog because I have seen them in the tub after his bath and it also soothes his raw skin. His coat looks so bright and fluffy too. He looks like a dandelion right before you blow on it and the little white things go up into the air.

Seriously. He does. I will take a pic the next time we give him a bath and post it here.

Anyway, after he is dried off with a towel, we blow dry Mickey because he hates being wet. He them runs around the house getting dirty again for a while. When he settles down, we apply his Advantage on his neck and he is good for at least a month.

We generally do not bath him until the next month when his Advantage is due so we don't dilute the flea meds plus, he's so little that to much medicated stuff on him could make him sick.

This is the best flea and tick shampoo I have found as far as overall quality and ease of use. It works, it smells great, it soothes his skin and makes his coat all fluffy. (You know, the dandelion thing.).

**My Viewpoint**

I highly recommend **Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo **for any dog. This shampoo is extremely effective yet gentle enough to use on an a dog's raw skin. My dog gets hot spots at times from the flea allergies and those burn. Yet he never makes a sound when we bathe him with this shampoo so obviously it doesn't irritate sore skin.

It's concentrated and it's effective.

***A definite 5 star shampoo that lasts and lasts.***

It knocks out a few fleas but it doesn't do a lot.

I bought this because it's inexpensive and because it can be used on cats and dogs. I have one dog and three cats and this product says on the bottle that you can use it on both. I thought this product would be better for the animals than giving them a flea and tick treatment each month. I thought a topical agent would be better for them than something that they had to digest internally to get rid of an external problem.

I was disappointed in this shampoo. It did kill some fleas but not a lot. The shampoo gets a really good lather which I thought meant it was going to work. It says on the bottle not to get it on yourself and to wash immediately so that kind of made me nervous to use it on my animals if it was bad for me but I went ahead and used it.

After bath time, I noticed maybe five or six fleas in the rinse water from each animal. After the animals had dried, I could still see fleas crawling on them. A week later, fleas were still just as bad so I shampooed again. After the second and third shampoos, the results were still the same. I barely got any fleas off of the cats and dog.

I now use Dawn dish detergent wish just as good of results and for a lot less. I wouldn't recommend this as a flea and tick shampoo. It doesn't work.

Quality of Ingredients
I'm not sure what is in it but it didn't kill fleas. It also says not to get on human skin but it's supposed to be safe for my animals.

Side Effects
I didn't see much as far as fleas dying but I noticed when the cats groomed themselves they didn't like the taste and wouldn't continue grooming. One of my cats even drooled when trying to groom after a bath. Also, this says not to get on human skin. A product that is safe for animals but not for my skin seems suspicious to me.

Good Product

from Ellerslie GA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Effective
  • Gentle
  • Good Value

Cons

• Wears Out

• Larger Pets
  • Older Pets
  • Smaller Pets
  • Young Pets

Comments about Vpl Adams Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs:

I recently have gotten a new German Shepherd / Great Pyrenees puppy who is five months old now. I also have a mixed sheep dog I have had for 7 years. Well for some reason starting last year we have started have a lot of ticks. I do live in the country but we have never had a tick problem as we do now and supposedly everyone is experiencing this now. I personally have tried different flea and tick shampoos and have found that overall the best one for my pets and my budget is the Adams Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs and Cats. I have bathed both of my dogs young and old and was very happy with the results. I was surprised at the amount of dead ticks in the tub. I can say there were a few that were stuck on after the first was with this product but I pulled them off and used this Adams Flea and Tick shampoo and have not had a problem with ticks on my dogs since. I have found that I do need to bathe them ever week to a week and a half to make sure it keeps off the ticks. This is also good for fleas as the few my dogs had were dead in the bath tub. We don't really have a flea problem. This product is safe for my five month old puppy and for my 7 year old dog. I was definitely recommend this to anyone who bathes their animals at home. The great thing is that it is for cats and dogs so it makes it very convenient. The price is pretty reasonable between eleven and twelve dollars and a little goes a long way so the price is definitely worth it to me. I have told many friends about this product and they are all happy with it as well. Another good thing about this dog shampoo is the scent. It has a really good light scent that stays on the dogs for a few days. Once you completely dry your pet there coat is left very shiny and soft and smelling very good. Neither one of my dogs seem to have any problem with this product. It is definitely worth it to give this Adams Flea and Tick Shampoo a try. This product seems to work on all different coats.

Fast and Effective

from Hartford, CT

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Effective
  • Gentle
  • Good Value
  • Long-Lasting

Comments about Vpl Adams Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs:

My puppy unfortunately recently had a flea problem when she returned from a vacation at doggie camp despite her Frontline application so I was forced to give her a flea bath. After a desperate call to the vet I picked up a bottle of Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo and gave her a thorough washing. I actually washed her outside since it was a hot day and I really didn't want to have to clean up any stray ickiness if she shook herself midway through and I'm very glad I did.

This did the job right away and she hasn't had a single flea on her since her bath. I really like that this kills not only fleas, but their eggs as well so it stops the infestation in its tracks. It also kills ticks and lice which is just a bonus in my book.

The shampoo is a rather odd looking green color and has the typical medicinal shampoo smell to it but most of that wore off as she dried and was gone completely after a couple days.

This is also quite economical as a 12 ounce bottle cost me about $10 and is good for at least two washings on my medium sized dog.

Overall, this is a fast, effective solution and I highly recommend it.

Good to use in addition to regular flea and tick medicine

from Pennsylvania

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Effective
      • Gentle
      • Good Value
      • Long-Lasting

Comments about Vpl Adams Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs:

I live in the country so needless to say there are plenty of fleas and ticks just waiting to hop onto our animals. I have a dog that is a big lab/german shepard mix and a cat. I like that Adam's Flea and Tick Shampoo is for dogs and cats. You can definitely save some money by buying only one product for both your cats and dogs. I have tried several shampoos for cats and dogs. I think this one is pretty good. It has a nice scent that leaves my animals cuddly fresh. It also does a wonderful job of making their fur shiny and fluffy. This shampoo is rather thick and lathers up nicely. It kills fleas, ticks, larva, and eggs. I wouldn't say that this will eliminate everything entirely, especially if you live in an area that is infested with these pests, but it eliminates most. I use this in conjunction with topical flea and tick medicine. I also like the price point on this product. It is middle of the road. I have bought some that were less expensive but they did not work as well. I have bought some that were more expensive that really didn't work any better. I would recommend this product if you regularly buy shampoo and bath your own animals.

Works okay

Comments about Vpl Adams Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs:

I used this on my tiny dog because I was afraid to use flea medicine on him because he was so little. He had fleas so bad all summer and I tried a lot of products. This shampoo killed most of the fleas on him, but as soon as I was done bathing him I could still see fleas running on him. I did find a lot dead but it doesn't 100% kill the fleas. I used it correctly and even let it sit on his fur the reccomended time. It made his fur smell nice but wasn't great on killing the fleas. Dish soap works just as well as this. It Is one of the cheaper brands so I did like the price. I just think its a lot of work to not have it kill all of the fleas. I have to wash him a lot in order to keep the fleas under control which probably isnt good for the dogs skin. It made his coat shiny and soft so at least it works good for general cleaning.

Quality of Ingredients
          I would say the quality of the ingredients isn't great because it doesn't effectively kill all of the fleas.

Side Effects
          My dog didn't have any side effects.

• Quality of Ingredients:
          • Side Effects:

No harsh chemicals or ingredients.

Comments about Vpl Adams Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs:

When shopping for pet supplies we tend to look for those that are safe, and don't contain harmful ingredients. This shampoo fit the bill. Not only is it great for flea and tick removal, it also has a rather pleasant smell (as long as you dry your dog completely after use). It has natural ingredients, no harsh chemicals, and no overly powerful soap blends, so your dog will get a nice scrub down, and will be tick flea after bathing.

Quality of Ingredients
          The ingredients seem to be all natural; it is the same brand that our vet uses when we take our dog in for their check up, so I know it is of high quality ingredients. There are no artificial dyes, chemicals, or additives, making it a good choice for your pets.

Side Effects
          We haven't experienced any negative side effects, they all have been positive. Our dogs smell fresh after use, and we use this in conjunction with their flea/tick medication once a month, so there are no problems with fleas all over the home. It also helps reduce shedding a bit.

• Quality of Ingredients:

Knocks Out the Fleas on Cats and Dogs

from Wrightstown NJ

Comments about Vpl Adams Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs:

Generally I do not notice any fleas on my cat but this year I did. The vet suggested that I try Adams flea and tick shampoo for Cats and Dogs. Now I knew that my cat would not stand for a bath but I decided to be brave and try it. When I had dogs I would bathe them regularly to keep their fur looking nice and to keep them clean so I figured my cat could not be too much worse. WRONG. My cat absolutely hated his bath but the shampoo did the job. It had a scent that was nice and his fur was sleek and shiny. Giving the cat a bath was agony for me but the product is worth the price. It is for cats and dogs so you can save money by only having to purchase one shampoo. It did kill the fleas although I am not sure if it killed ALL of them but just decided to use some flea medicine the second time around. It would be alot easier to use on a dog. I did not notice any bad side effects at all , other than a mad cat! I would definitely recommend it for minor flea infestation but you probably need something stronger if they are really bad.

• Side Effects:

Got rid of all fleas and bugs out of kittens fur.

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Vpl Adams Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs:

When I first saw my cat Oreo, she was a small ferile malnourished kitten that kept showing up to my house for food. I knew right away that I wanted to keep her and rescue her, but when I did I saw that she had a lot of bugs/fleas, and small amounts of her fur were missing from where it looked like bugs had bitten her. She needed a bath right away.

So I went out to Pet Smart and bought the Adams Flea & Tick Cleansing Shampoo. I thought I would have had a hard time giving her a bath, but she was so itchy and miserable that she was happy to get a bath and didn't fight me at all.

I know it sounds way too good to be true, but as soon as I washed her I could see all the fleas, eggs, lice, dandruff, and bugs washing away down the drain. I washed her twice for good measure, but everything to my surprised was good and gone. I noticed that it brought her fur back to life, and she was so clean and fluffy afterwards.

I then brought her to the vet to get her shots and get spayed. I honestly went there thinking that she would be unhealthy and have a ton of bugs still on her. But my vet said she was completely healthy, and there were no fleas or bugs left on her at all.

After having her for a few weeks are started noticing that her fur started growing back beautifully where she was once missing fur. Her fur started growing longer, stronger, and much more shiny as well too.

Now Oreo is a beautiful long haired tuxedo cat, and healthy too. I know most people don't give there cats baths but giving Oreo a monthly bath with flea and tick shampoo is a ritual for us now. I got her used to have baths, and she never fights me when I wash her. It completely detangles her long fur, gets rid of shedding, fleas, and makes her fur beautiful, smooth, shiny, and strong.

Quality of Ingredients
          I honestly have no idea exactly what the chemicals in this shampoo are. I mean they have to be strong enough to get rid of the bugs so I'm not sure what side effects they could have. Oreo has been fine using this, and it keeps her fur and skin healthy.

Side Effects
          My cat didn't have any bad side effects, and it completely restored her fur and skin after being bitten and infested with fleas and bugs.

• Quality of Ingredients:

Not For Heavy Flea Infestations

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Vpl Adams Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs:

If you have ever been plagued with a flea infestation you know that everything needs to get treated at the same time or your efforts will be futile. When someone dumps a dog on my doorstep or ties one to the back fence they are usually under weight, infested with fleas and have either been used in dog fights as bait animals to train them or were breeders. Sadly when these dogs outlive their usefulness they are killed, abandoned or turned loose to roam the neighborhood. The Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo is effective for mild to l moderate cases of fleas and ticks on cats and dogs; I have never used this on cats but I have used it on about fifteen different dogs.

I like that this doesn't irritate their skin; if they have huge open sores or anything that is oozing you are going to want to use an "extra gentle" shampoo but for otherwise healthy skin, this is a decent product to have on hand. When I have to wash them with this soap I try to do it outside so any lingering fleas that try to escape are washed away. This works to kill the fleas and ticks as well as their larva but you are going to want to wash them a couple of times just to make sure that they are completely rid of the blood sucking insects. Ticks have never been a problem but it is nice to know that this shampoo will kill them if they are present.

When I have had dogs tied to the back fence that have a mass infestation of fleas and I have used Adams it didn't kill off of them in one or two treatments; I had to wash them three or four times and keep them outside until they were completely free and clear of them. If you are dealing with that kind of problem you are going to want to have a flea spray product on hand to squirt down your yard to kill the fleas that are only stunned. I buy a new bottle of this every spring to make sure that I have a flea and tick shampoo on hand in case I need it. There are a couple of different types of flea and tick shampoos from Adams so if you are buying this online or ordering it to be picked up in a store please make sure that you read the description carefully so you pick the product that is going to work best for your specific needs.

• Side Effects:

Why Buy 2 Shampoos For Dog & Cat When You Can Use Adams!

from Virginia

Comments about Vpl Adams Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs:

I regularly bathe my pets, to keep their coats clean and prevent fleas and ticks. I bought Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo because it was recommended by a breeder. I own both a cat and dogs so this shampo seemed like a great idea and it saved money on buying seperate shampoo for my pets. I wash my dogs every 2 weeks and I can literally see where this shampoo repels insects. Adams contains (IGR) Insect Growth Regulator which works on preventing flea eggs. I bathe my cat less often, at least once a month and I rarely see any ticks and very few fleas if any at all. I love the convenience of a dual shampoo that works on both pets and think Adams is a high quality brand with quality ingredients. This shampoo is thick a do lathers up and has a smell to it that's fresh and clean. My pets coats are left clean, smelling great, and fully protected against fleas and ticks! I feel like I'm doing the best for my pets when I use Adams because it is helping my pets.

• Side Effects:

Aids in flea and tick control

from Pennsylvania

Comments about Vpl Adams Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats and Dogs:

We live in the country which means my dog is constantly in flea and tick infested grass, leaves, and fields. We definitely use Frontline or other flea and tick medicine but we take any additional help we can get to control these pests. Using Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo keeps my dog more free of ticks and fleas than using only one product. Make sure to follow the directions on the bottle because I did have another dog that had an adverse reaction to it. You have to let the shampoo on for a few minutes to give the active ingredients time to work which sometimes isn't easy but it's worth it. Adams shampoo does a great job of cleaning all the dirt and grime off my dog's skin and fur. It costs a little more than some other flea and tick shampoos but is also more effective than most. Overall, I think it's a great product. If your dog has a problem with fleas and ticks I highly recommend giving this product a try.