Other Baby Foods:
Gerber

Pros

Cons

Gerber Rice Cereal--good enough to bathe in

I wasn't exactly excited about my 9-month-old's newfound hobby of bathing in the rice cereal, but the picture does show how very much she enjoys this cereal! This was her first food, and she still eats it at least twice a day. We are constantly on the go, and I always pack a container of dry Gerber rice cereal with me for snack time. I usually buy the largest size I can and pour into smaller containers with lids for transport.

Make sure baby is ready for cereal--able to sit up, at least 13 pounds, and hungry after 8-10 breast feedings or 32 oz. formula/day, typically around 4-6 months. Preparation is very simple--pour desired amount of dry cereal into a container and add water, formula, or breast milk to the desired consistency. It's best to start thin and work your way to a thicker consistency as baby is ready, unless your healthcare provider gives directions otherwise. When you add the liquid, it makes more cereal than it looks like it will. For safety reasons, it is not recommended to feed cereal from a bottle. Instead, use a spoon for cereal and any other foods and save the bottle for liquid only.

An open box of dry cereal may be stored for up to two months. After mixing with liquid, discard after one hour if baby has not eaten it.

This is a great product because it is gluten-free and safe for babies with a gluten sensitivity to eat. You may call 1-800-4-GERBER and speak to a real live person, who can let you know if a particular product contains gluten.

As with any new food, contact your healthcare provider if your baby does not seem to tolerate a new food well--a rash appears, the baby seems very uncomfortable, or breathing problems develop, etc. If your baby gets the sudden urge to make an incredible mess with this product, grab a camera and preserve the memory--it gets funnier with time!

Gerber cereal is flaky like instant mashed potatoes.

Gerber was the first baby cereal I ever used because it was all that was available.  I fed my daughter huge bowls full because I was taught in college that it was one of the best foods for them and a great source of iron for infants that generally have a low iron intake.  I did not see any problems with it causing constipation.

The thing I don't like about the Gerber versus Beech-nut is that it seems to clump up if you don't mix it just right.  It seems like it might have been if you try to mix it too fast or without enough liquid.  If it sits too long, the liquid starts to separate from it and you have to add more cereal to thicken it.  Gerber often has coupons however, they are few and far between and not as generous in value as Beech-nut.  I guess they know they have a strong hold on their market already.

As a dietitian, I do strongly recommend that you keep using infant cereal past a first food.  I prefer the oatmeal and barley however, because the white rice is just too simple a starch like sugar.

A good baby food for babies!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal:

The Gerber single grain rice cereal is a good one for little ones! I remember using this when my kids were little. It is so fun to watch them switch from breast milk or formula to more of a solid food. You can buy this at a good price and you get a good amount for your money. It's easy to find in most stores. I like that you add the breast milk or formula to it to make it. That way you are still getting the nutrients of the milk. It mixes easily and it goes down smoothly. My kids really enjoyed this when they were babies. It has a good texture to it and it was easy for them to eat. It can get a bit messy, but most baby food is. If I have another baby I would use this again. It was made from a brand that you can trust and it was just a good quality baby food.

Quality of Ingredients
There really aren't a lot of ingredients in this, but what it does have is good. Also you will be adding your milk to it to make it even more healthy.

Safety
It's very safe for babies if it is mixed right. Make sure to try to get the lumps out. It goes down smoothly and is easy for little ones.

• Safety:

Great product and easy on the stomach

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Comments about Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal:

I was concerned about starting my six month old daughter on cereal, as she has a sensitive stomach and we had to try many different formulas before finding one that would work for her. I was cringing when the pediatrician told us it was time to introduce cereal and recommended that we try Gerber. I was worried that it would cause more digestive issues.
I cannot say enough good things about this product. It is gluten free, and did not cause one issue for my daughter, she loved it and loves learning to use her spoon while eating this. I give this to her in the morning and also in the evening and she always wants more. I have started to mix her fruits into the cereal to give it more flavor and she loves it. She gives me a hard time eating her fruits by themselves, she wants them mixed with cereal. Gerber again has not failed, it is an amazing brand that I trust.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients are perfect for babies with sensitive stomachs. I would highly recommend.

• Safety:

Great priced, great product !

from Florida

Comments about Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal:

My infant had been having trouble sleeping through the night. Her doctor recommended that we put some rice cereal in her last bottle at night, to help her stay full and sleep through the night. I purchased two different kinds Gerber single grain and one made by Earth's Best. I have to say, this one outshone the other brand by ten fold.

Not only did it mix better, but baby seemed to prefer the taste better than the other brand. There was no disagreement with it and her little tummy. She digested it better, and kept all of it down.

I love the price, and that they make it in a plastic easy pour container now. I don't like cardboard boxes, especially for something that I generally need at hand a lot, or need to travel with. So the sturdier plastic container gives me more peace of mind. Since she is only eating about a half ounce to ounce of it a day, the container should last a pretty good while, until she starts eating cereal and food.

I would for sure recommend this to other mom's it thickens her formula, keeps her full and I feel good about the price and the quality.

• Safety:

My daughter loves this cereal.

Comments about Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal:

My daughter is five months old and someone told me not to start giving her rice cereal until she turns six months because at six months, that's when babies' stomachs are fully developed so they'd be less prone to allergies. Well the other day I saw my own doctor and she said that I can start to give my daughter Gerber rice cereal now since my daughter is a tall baby and eats a lot. I've been giving it to her for three days now. I was worried about her getting allergic to it because I freak out about things like that but she was fine and she loved the way the cereal tasted. She would try grabbing the spoon and guide it to her mouth right away. My doctor and my mother-in-law said that my daughter would stay full longer and and sleep longer but I haven't noticed that yet. I fell like she actually is getting hungrier. I did notice she took a longer nap during the day time but during the night she wakes up about the same amount of times as she was before she started eating the Gerber rice cereal. I am worried though because she went a day without pooping. She's done that before but this time I'm worried because I introduced something new to her so I hope that it doesn't make her constipated.

Safety
It didn't cause any allergies and it's easy for my daughter to swallow.

• Safety:

high in vitamins and got my son full

Comments about Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal:

I remember when I first introduced this Gerber rice cereal to my son he loved it. I like how it was easy to make and it has a lot of vitamins in it. I just mixed formula milk or even breast milk to it. I would sometimes make it a thin or thick texture depending on if what time of day it was. It was very safe and easy for him to swallow he would try and feed himself sometimes. My son would wake up every night and he would be hungry. At night I would make it thick and feed him before so he would stay full and sleep through the whole night and it worked. I would sometimes even put a little bit of this rice cereal in his bottle just a little bit to make his milk thicker so he wouldn't be so hungry. Every doctors check up he had they said he was a healthy baby that wasn't over weight and was growing normally. My son now is tall and he's a smart toddler who eats really good. I would definitely buy this rice cereal again for my next little one. This cereal lasted me a long time and it was affordable to buy.

Comments about Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal:

This is a great first food since there is a good chance your baby won't be allergic. I mixed with the formula at first and then eventually with Gerber first foods, mainly the fruits. One thing to beware though for those with babies with trouble digesting, it can cause constipation. I could only give this to my second child with prunes or apples since it backed her up plain.

Quality of Ingredients
Gerber uses very high quality ingredients. I have been using Gerber products now for 6 years and I have never had an issue with the food being of low quality. Everything is fresh and stays fresh after opening for at least a few days.

Safety
As with any food and infants you need to be careful of choking. Always make this extra watery at first to see how the baby does with swallowing a solid. Always make sure the product is not expired and prepared correctly also. If you are safe you should have no problems at all feeding this to your baby.

Love Gerber Rice Cereal for Babies

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal:

I have used the Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal for both of my babies. I think that overall it is a really good product that help get some minerals into a child's system. The ingredients of the rice cereal are fairly healthy, though a couple of them I would like to see changed. I do prefer the organic over the regular cereals from Gerber. I wish that Gerber would really invest in making new products and recipes without GMOs in them. I like that you can add water, breast milk, or a little bit of 100% juice to these rice cereal flakes to give your baby different tastes to get used to. I also like that you can use as much or as little liquid as you want to. That makes it easy to make it very thin for a baby just starting out learning how to swallow from a spoon or to make it thick for an older toddler. I would recommend starting your baby on a rice cereal such as one from Gerber when the are approximately 5 months old. All-in-all, this is a good product from Gerber.

• Safety:

Berber single grain rice cereal

from Sneads Ferry, NC

Comments about Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal:

I would definitely recommend Gerber single grain rice cereal when you are first switching from exclusive nursing or bottle feeding to transitioning into solid foods! This is the same rice cereal my mom gave to me as a baby also and my doctor recommended Gerber rice cereal for my son as well.
This rice cereal was easy to prepare, you just add water and mix it together. It mixes well and is the perfect texture for very young kids. It's easy to swallow and digest. My son really loved this rice cereal when he first tried it! The flavor is a little bit bland but that is great for a first food for babies because you wouldn't want to overwhelm them with too many seasonings or spices. Gerber rice cereal was easy for my son to eat and I knew that it was also healthy for him to eat because it has a lot of nutrition that babies need. And because this rice cereal is made by Gerber I felt good serving it to my son because I feel confident that Gerber always has high quality and safe baby foods.
Overall, Gerber rice cereal definitely deserves 10 out of 10 rating!

High quality rice cereal

Comments about Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal:

It is very rare that I encounter a Gerber brand product that I do not like. I would say that 99% of the time you can't go wrong with Gerber. The Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal is no exception to this statement. My son started eating Gerber rice cereal just before he turned six months old. This product was gentle on his sensitive tummy and he always gobbled it right down. The texture of this cereal is a bit thick but the cereal can be thinned using a little additional milk or formula. My son kicks his legs and makes "happy baby noises" when he eats this cereal so I know it is a hit with him. The ingredients listed on the back of the box are all things I recognize and feel comfortable feeding my baby. I can usually find this cereal on sale which helps me stretch my grocery budget. Overall, I am very satisfied with this product and feel that it is a healthy choice for my baby. I highly recommend Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal!

Safety
Great "first grain" choice for babies!

• Safety:

Rice cereal is a life saver.

Comments about Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal:

I love the Gerber Single Grain Rice Cereal and so does my son! We first started putting rice cereal in my sons bottles at about two and a half months because he was an extremely hungry fella and the added weight of the rice cut his feeding times and amount virtually in half. I couldn't get over it. We were putting 1 teaspoon for every 4 ounce of breast milk or formula he was eating and it slowed him down immensely. It also made the transition from just formula to formula and food much easier because the food and formula had a similar taste. He doesn't like eating plain food because he is so used to eating the rice cereal but you can get him to eat the plain rice cereal mind with some formula. I love how many different flavors the cereal comes in and the different nutritional ways. I would recommend this product to any mom who has a hungry eater or a sensitive tummy eater.

Quality of Ingredients
The product is from Gerber so I am certain that the ingredients are perfect for my growing sons health.

Safety
The grains are so well ground that I have no worries about my son choking because it is to thick.