Other Baby Foods:

Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs

Pros

Cons

It's Baby Snack Time!

Babies like to eat and as they grow in size they need to be slowly introduced to a wider variety of food. Liquids come first and solids come later and one food that makes a good introductory solid food is **Gerber Finger Foods Veggie Puffs Sweet Potato Flavor**, a light, easy to eat snack. **Baby Food Commentary:**

Gerber Finger Foods Veggie Puffs are a very good product for introducing soon- to- be- toddlers to solid food. These small, puffy, lightly crunchy snacks are easy to grip and easy to chew and consume, making them the perfect way to wean your little one off of a liquid- only diet. The best quality with this type of food is its softness. Yes, this is solid food but it breaks apart quickly and if your toddler has a problem crushing the pieces in his/her mouth you need not worry because the pieces will slowly dissolve anyway. These are good qualities for a food like this because they help to eliminate the anxiety parents often feel when experimenting with solid food for the first time. Most every parent- myself included- feels the jitters when giving their baby that first piece of solid food. You worry about choking more than anything, but you also worry about whether or not the time is really right for this change in diet. With Gerber Finger Foods, the worries melt away much like the food itself. Another thing I like about this food is the canister container. Gerber sells this product in a cylindrical container that is a little narrower at the top to make it easy to grip. The container itself holds food weighing a total of only 42 grams (1.48 oz.), due to the fact that it is so light and airy. But the lightness makes it easy to carry around and the plastic, snap on lid makes it convenient to use. You just peel off the top and pour when you need some pieces of food, then replace the cap and wait for the next feeding opportunity. These puffs are made using real vegetables. This is good, but one has to keep in mind that they are no substitute for real vegetables. If you look at the nutritional statistics above, you will see that these snacks have some nutritional value, particularly in the areas of zinc, iron, and vitamin E. But they are lacking in other areas, making them useful only as a snack- the way Gerber intended. You should not use these as a substitute for a regular meal. They are meant as a quick stop- your- baby- from- fussing snack and nothing more.

**Bottom Line:**

Gerber Finger Foods Sweet Potato Veggie Puffs are a very good product from this trusted maker of baby foods. I have purchased this flavor most frequently because my little girl loves the taste of sweet potatoes. But the other flavors are good, too, (both the veggie puffs and the fruit puffs) and they make for a tasty snack for toddlers who are learning to eat solid foods for the first time.

Maybe better puffs for older children

I love sweet potato and so does my child, so when I found these puffs in the sweet potato flavor I thought I had hit a jackpot in terms of a perfect snack! But alas, I knew it must have been just a dream because when I myself tried them they tasted nothing like sweet potato at all. In fact, they taste worse than all the other puff snacks in the Gerber Graduate line. But I guess it isn't really the taste that is disappointing to me, its actually the size of these suckers! They're actually really really tiny! My son has big chubby hands, and when he tries to hold one, well, let's just say it gets lost somewhere in his fist! Now I'm pretty sure these aren't meant to be eaten with a spoon, but that's really how small they are, so it's hard to chew off a piece, yet, I don't trust the whole thing to be in his mouth! All in all, these were really disappointing, go with something else if you want something your baby can hold!

great for introducing solid foods!

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Easy to Use
  • Keeps Well
  • Tasty

Cons

• Snacks
    • Toddlers

Comments about Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs:

I have bought the gerber graduates puffs since my first child was ready to move on to solid foods. I remember being totally freaked out about her choking on them and when I first started her out on them I broke them into smaller pieces and when she did okay with that I have her them whole. They melt easily and are easy to chew. They have a ton of flavors and they are all good. My kids favories are sweet potato, banana, and blueberry. I love all of the gerber line snacks. My kids always seemed to love the textures and flavors. I love that gerber puts the age ranges on their products to better help understand what foods and snacks are appropriate for babies and toddlers. They explain it all on the package labels so you know you are buying something that is good for your child's age. These are great for on the go or at home. I always keep a bottle with us for a quick snack. They are great for dumping out on the stroller trays when you are shopping or walking around. My kids always wanted a snack when we were in the middle of something so they are good to have on hand for those times. They taste great and dissolve easily without much chewing needed. They stay fresh in the containers and are very reasonably priced. My older kids who are way beyond needing these still eat their little brothers sometimes because they taste great! I like them too. I try the kids snacks and I'm always impressed how gerber snacks are so full of flavor but yet made healthier then a lot of snacks out there. I recommend them to everyone for on the go and they are great for helping introduce solid foods to baby.

Puffs are good for little hands!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs:

I am a big fan of Gerber Puffs. The sweet potato puffs were just as great as all the other kinds of Gerber Puffs out there. When my son was little he ate puffs all the time. This wasn't his favorite kind, but he would still eat them up. I really like that these are made of whole grains. These are nice because I didn't have to worry as much about my son choking on them. The are small enough and pretty much start melting as soon as they put them in their little mouths. They get really mushy and soft fast. These were so handy when my child was young. They are easy for on the go. You can pop a can into the diaper bag or put them in a little container for travelling. These are also easy for babies and toddlers to pick up. These are a fun snack for them. If I had another baby I would definitely use these again.

Quality of Ingredients
    For a snack food these had pretty good ingredients. I like that they are made of whole grains.

Safety
    These are really easy for little ones to eat. They soften fast and aren't easy to choke on.

• Safety:

A great snack food for babies and toddlers!

Comments about Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs:

My older children absolutely love Gerber Sweet Potato Puffs. Gerber is a trusted name in our household and these puffs are no exception. I start feeding these puffs to my children when they are around eight months old. The feature that I like the most about these puffs (as compared to other food like Cheerios or small pieces of banana) are that they dissolve when they come in contact with saliva. I am not concerned that my children will choke when eating these puffs. I also recognize all of the ingredients that are listed on the nutritional label which helps put my mind at ease and makes this snack a healthy choice for my children. Overall, I am very impressed with the Gerber Sweet Potato Puffs. My children enjoy eating this food and we always have a container of these puffs in the diaper bag! I highly recommend the sweet potato flavor and the other flavors of Gerber puffs.

Safety
    These puffs dissolve on contact with saliva which makes them a safe choice for older babies and toddlers.

Fast and easy snack

Comments about Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs:

As a parent it's so difficult to spend extra time on preparing a healthy snack. The Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs are so easy, fast, and reliable to be a safe and healthy snack. The puffs are small enough that I'm not worried my child will choke on it. Some baby snacks are huge but the size of these puffs are so perfect. The taste is good. They are not heavily flavored but they have a nice taste. I have tried them and I actually thought they were tasty. They are good for babies without all teeth. The puffs are so light they are easy to digest. I also love the container they come in. Simply pour a few out and pop the lid back on! I also feel that they are priced fairly. You can also find coupons for this product and they are available at most grocery stores in the baby isle. The only problem I have with this product are the preservatives in the ingredients. I wish Gerber would make a natural version.

• Safety:

Baby tasted mom approved delicious

Comments about Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs:

Gerber puffs are a great snack for any occasion. They are great for when little ones are just learning to pick up foods and they are great for traveling, they are not messy and they clean up easily. They also dissolve very quickly and easily so it's easy for a little one to chew with little to no teeth. They are also very tasty, and even my older daughter enjoys them which is great because they give her a little extra nutrition for the times that she refuses to eat much.

My daughter loved these!

Comments about Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs:

The Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs are great for babies learning how to feed themselves. They are small enough that they cannot choke on them but big enough that they can be picked up with little effort. One thing I really liked about these was that my daughter didn't really have to chew them at all, she could just mash them around in her mouth and once they got wet they would dissolve very easily. This relieved a lot of my worry that she was going to choke on them. My daughter really loved these as a snack and when I tried them myself I could see why. They had a great sweet taste that would keep my daughter interested but they weren't too sweet to where I felt like they weren't healthy for her to be eating. I also liked that they came in a very portable container. They were great for taking along on trips and could also be used in the car if you wanted. Gerber found a good way to make a container that could be carried with you but the cover stayed on tight enough so that you didn't have to worry about spilling. I am happy that this was one of the first snacks my daughter started eating. And the first time I gave them to her she picked them up and ate them with ease. So not only were they providing for her nutritionally they were also helping her develop her motor skills. I would definitely recommend these to all parents of young children and I plan on using them again in a couple of months when my son starts to eat food. Thanks Gerber for making another great product!

• Safety:

Great snack for baby but not mom.

Comments about Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs:

My baby loves Gerber Graduates sweet potato puffs. They are great for mastering the pincer grasp and learning to self feed, and my daughter loves eating them. They dissolve easily so there is no choking hazard worry. In my opinion, the flavor is terrible. I don't understand why my baby likes it. I also feel concerned that it's not as healthy as it seems. It has whole grains and sweet potato puree but the sugar content seems high and it lacks any substance. It doesn't provide calories or fat, and my daughter is in a very low weight percentile. I prefer a different snack for my baby.

• Safety:

A healthy snack for baby

Comments about Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs:

My baby just loves Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs! Has no problem eating it what so ever. These puffs are very healthy and keep baby happy. Great way to teach little babies how to feed themselves. They'll just fall in love with these yummy cereal puffs!

• Safety:

Great snack for young toddlers

Comments about Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs:

My children both loved these snacks. These were the first snacks we gave our children. Neither of my children had any teeth to speak of until they were almost a year old. The staple Cheerios seemed a little hard for them very early on. I really liked that these snacks dissolved so easily in their mouths. We felt that it was easy on their tummies and easy to swallow that way. They were also good for their dexterity. However, we did have problems with them sticking to the children's hands so they occasionally had problems getting them all the way in their mouth. My children loved the taste so much that we still bought these as a treat for them long after they had moved on to more advanced snacks. They are great snacks for traveling in the car.

Safety
    These snacks are so light and dissolve easily in the mouth so I did not worry about them being a choking hazards as all with my little ones.

• Safety:

The first finger food my son really liked.

Comments about Gerber Graduates Sweet Potato Puffs:

This was the first finger food that my son really gravitated to when he started feeding himself. The puffs are very light and have a subtle sweet potato taste. (I always like to try a little of each new thing we feed the kids, so I can understand just what we are putting into their mouths and tummies.) The taste is not overwhelming, so you don't have to worry about picky eaters being put off. This is a great introductory food and snack, but it is definitely not nutrient-rich enough to be a meal. The puffs come in a plastic tube package that makes a great portable container that easily fits in a diaper bag for travel.

Quality of Ingredients
    Gerber has long had a reputation for good, high-quality ingredients. It's the brand I was raised on and the brand I trust to give to my children.

Safety
    On occasion, my son would stuff his mouth too full, and I could see how that could become a choking hazard. I would never leave him unattended while eating. When he was given just one at a time; however, I couldn't see much danger with this product.