Other GPS Devices:
Portable Car GPS
Garmin
C550
Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator

Summary

Talk about simple. The portable StreetPilot c550 comes ready-to-go right out of the box with preloaded maps and plenty of options. This navigator delivers the same, easy-to-use, affordable navigation as our popular selling c300 series with many enhancements like Bluetooth wireless technology with hands-free calling, an integrated traffic receiver, MP3 player, plus much more.

Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator

awesome product

After repeated frustrations in using yet again wrong directions from mapquest we decided it was time to look into getting a gps system. We talked to numerous friends and family members and read all the info we could find in an effort to determine whiich one would best be suited to our needs. Because I have a hearing problem of special interest to me was one with a "voice" that I could easily understand. I had heard systems belonging to other people and could not always understand what the voice was saying. The Garmin c550 Street Pilot sytem has met all our expectations and more! It has proven to be easy to set up and operate and the voice directiona are very easily understood. The unit attaches and removes very easily from the windshield and once attached can be easily positioned for driver viewing. It comes with all the attachments and a carrying /storage case. We have found it to be totally accurate in the directions it gives and also in the estimated time given in how long it will take to arrive at your chosen destination. It should be noted that once you are driving a safety feature will not allow you to change the destination -good idea-keeps you focused on your driving-you have to pull over and be stopped  inorder to program a new destination. Be aware that the keyboard is in alphabetical order and not set up like a computer keyboard. As of now this unit has far surpassed our expectations and we are very very pleased with the way it performs.

Don't waste your money

After feeling limited in my mobility which is basically limited to my local area I decided that I wanted to be adventurous in the new year. I have a fear of getting lost but I love to travel. I decided to get a gps and only went by word of mouth which was a huge mistake. I chose the Garmen StreetPilot c550 GPS and was at first excited and impressed with the way it looked however, after turning it on and testing it out in my area I didn't like how I didn't have street by street and turn by turn instructions. It told me to for example to turn in 50 miles as oppose to saying the specific street name. It also didn't show the names of streets on the map. I was instantly turned off and unimpressed with it and so I sent it back. If you are anything like me you need a gps that tells you step by step and the Garmen StreetPilot c550 GPS is definitely not it.

I finally know my way around town

from Port Saint Lucie, FL

Comments about Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator:

The StreetPilot c550 GPS Receiver is great for navigating your way around town. Its easy to use and understand and makes life easier knowing where your going. I would reccommend this device to anyone looking for a navigation device.

Made me feel safe, travelling alone.

from Billings, MT

Comments about Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator:

I drove from Pennsylvania to Montana last year when the Mississippi was flooded and was afraid that I would get hopefully lost. Thank God for my Garmin, got me where i was going without any trouble and gave me some fun, I loved having someone to swear at when I got rattled!

This is great for the "directionaly challenged", like me!

from Sierra Vista, AZ

Comments about Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator:

i really like this thing!  this is my first gps unit, and i spent a lot of time comparing different brands and models before selecting the 550.  comes with everything you need to use it right away.  easy to use, easy to figure out.  the manual is pretty good except in a few areas.  i'd like to know more about the battery, like, do i have to worry about how much i charge it?  otherwise, very minor things that you can eventually figure out by playing with it.  offers a selection of voices, languages, map views, and more.  easily detours, and re-routes.  volume is great also.  i would definitely recommend this unit to my friends and family.

WOW -- this product is great.

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator:

We were in an unfamiliar city and a friend brought her Garmin GPS.  It took us everywhere we needed to go without a hitch.  I could not believe it and immediately begin looking for one to buy.  This model had all the features I wanted and at a price I felt was reasonable.  Very user friendly, I started using it without even reading the manual.  Voice easily understood and turn directions are given in plenty of time to make lane adjustments (no running into that plate glass window for me!).   It has helped me get around several traffic problems.

Never had an issue

from Lacey, WA

Comments about Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator:

If I'm not mistaken, this model has already been discontinued. However, I love it. I've had it for over 3 yeas now and I carry it with it all the time. The voice is really easy to understand, as it speaks street names. The unit is really user friendly. There are several ways to program your favorite destinations, including memorizing exactly where you're standing at that very moment (just in case you can't locate the exact address). There are also several ways to enter your destination, such as street intersections, which again makes it easier especially when you cannot location an exact address. When I first purchased the unit, I was given a free 3-month trial to live maps by MSN. The unit provided live traffic and the route that was given to you for your destination was by avoiding that traffic. Unfortunately that service was soon cancelled and no longer provided for Garmin customers. I really haven't had any complains about this unit. Considering that the unit is a bit outdated by now, I'm sure you'll be able to get a great deal on it.

Works great, but don't want to pay for updates.

from Marlborough, MA

Comments about Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator:

I brought this on sale a few years ago and it has been a life saver ever since.  I have moved twice and could not have found my way around without it!  I am constantly saying how glad I am to have it and what a great investment it has been.

I have had some problems with the system however.  Sometimes, it seems to not tell me that there is a turn approaching if I am going at a low speed or if I have traveled that location many times before.  Also, it will sometimes tell me that there is a better route available and then nothing else.  What does that mean?  If there is a better route available shouln't I be taking that instead?  Am I not understanding something here?  I never saw anything about that in the user guide, but it seems kind of ridiculous to tell me there is a better route available and not take me to it.  I say in this instance ignorance is bliss if the machine is not going to do anything about it.

One last thing is the cost to update the system for new points of interest.  I don't want to pay an enormous amount just to have the new walmart down the street or the new road that was rerouted to be in my GPS.  Other systems do not charge as much for an update.

Best travel partner ever

from Olathe, KS

Comments about Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator:

I have travelled to several area of the United States and find it very easy to get around with my Garmin.  One of the best functions is finding a gas station on the way back to the airport to fill the rental car before returning it.  After getting to the rental car the first thing I do is key in the address to where i am going and head out.  I have been to San Francisco, Portland and Seattle recently without getting lost.  It has taken me to the address I put in.  I was happy especially in Portland where I thought the freeway system was confusing.  After getting off the plane I could not acclimate myself to which direction was north.  Leaving the airport and driving across Portland to to to Tillamook was made easy with my Garmin.

But I also find it very useful locally.  Our town, Olathe, has grown so fast in the past 20 years without my Garmin there are places I go I really need directions to.  My wife who is directionally challenged uses it even more than I do.

I absolutely love the garmin street pilot!

from Southaven, MS

Comments about Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator:

I absolutely love the Garmin Street pilot  I think it is one of the best GPS's on the market.  i have tested other GPS's and they tend to not be at reliable.  The way I mean this is they will tend not to tell you the exact street that you are suppose to turn on.  Say I am suppose to turn in 500ft on Shelby dr.  The Garmin will tell me exactly that.  Like I said I have tried out and have seen other GPS's both in rental cars and from my friends have owned.  Most will tell you to turn in .05 mi and I dont know about most people but it is hard for me to gauge .05 miles.  And they normally dont tell you the street that you need to turn on.  Plus there is the added fact that you can just type in restaurants and it will tell you all the restaurants in your area.  I have personally used this feature to find out where the zoo is, or a musseum.  I absolutely love that feature.  Also with the Garmin street Pilot, when you start to put in an address it will help you fill the rest in.  This has come in all sorts of handy, not just concidering that sometimes I am not completly sure of the address, but also that is sames a lot of time.

The only draw back I see with this devise is that it has to be mounted on the window, creating a blind spot, and the fact that it commonly falls down when I am driving.

Other than the few minor, problems it is a wonderful product.  I am glad I own one!

Garmin street pilot c550 is a very sturdy GPS

from New York, NY

Comments about Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator:

GPS is probably the greatest invention for cars, after the airbags. The history of cars can be divided into before GPS and after. The amount of time saved collectively because of this invention. I bought my first GPS, being this particular model when it was the best one around. After doing tons of research i figured out that the best GPS would be the GPS for dummies, that basically meant the GPS would read out the street names as well, the text to speech mode. It was very accurate and had a nice re-routing feature that basically means that it corrects itself to the wrong direction that you land up taking by mistake, so in effect you can never get lost, as long as the GPS is powered up. It came with a Live FM traffic update, which was free for the first three months i think, and became paid after that, now most of the new GPS models have it free ad supported. This is a highly recommended feature if you;re living in a traffic congested city like i do. Apart from the basic GPS functions, its has tons of hotspots directions built in, if you ever feel like popping into a club in a new city. great product, should be made mandatory for all cars.

Garmin: Always On the Right Track

from Clearfield, UT

Comments about Garmin StreetPilot Portable GPS Navigator:

I have had this Garmin since 2008. I loved it when I got it then and I still love it now. I have never had any problems with this Garmin. It has never let me down. It's always on the right track and I have never been thrown off. It's usually pretty fast at locating where I am right when I turn the GPS on. What's really nice is how the GPS automatically turns on when you start the car. It also allows for MSN's features of gas prices, weather and movie times for all those places around you. You can search by food, grocery, community buildings, and much much more. It always shows you the places that are nearest to you first. You can also search a certain place near your destination in another location. This is a text to speech garmin and I would not want it any other way. The instructions are perfectly clear and they give the directions in a good amount of time before you have to turn. It also lets you know which side of the road that your desintation is on. This is a great GPS unit!