Other Washing Machines:

GE Top Load Washer

Pros

Cons

Great Basic GE Washing Machine

I purchased this washer almost 5 years ago from Home Depot. I was a bit concerned at the time of purchase because I had never purchased such a basic washer. But, I had previous experience of expensive washers with many bells and whistles breaking after a few years, so I thought a more basic model might last longer. So far the washer has been fantastic and has done a great job getting clothes clean. It is simple to use obviously since it is a no frills machine. It does have a liquid bleach dispenser, but not a fabric softner dispenser. I have not had a problem with it damaging items that I wash and I have had no problems with the washer. I do recommened it as a functional washer and easy on the wallet.

didn't last a full 14 months

this washer was purchased by my mom who doesn't have the money to keep paying for a new washer every year or a repair person to keep fixing it.
after 14 months of...Read complete review

after 14 months of once a week use (that comes out to be 56 uses) it no longer agitates. and GE of course will not fix it due to their warranty length. (which I'm not aware of at the moment) but I'm sure it's only a year or less.
but for it to fail in such as short amount of uses is reason enough for me to never buy a ge washer.
I have a whirlpool washer that is 13 years old and it still works. with 2 loads of wash a week the comes out to be 16,224 loads.
she bought a used whirlpool this time.

Great washer

from Richmond VA

Comments about GE Top Load Washer:

I really love this washer. Not only does it hold a huge amount of clothing, it works really well and does a great job of thoroughly cleaning everything I put into it. It works just as well for heavier items as it does for delicate cloth diapers, so I have been very happy with it.

Energy Efficiency
This has been an extremely affordable washer for us. It is very efficient, especially considering that we use it at least once per day.

Cleaning Time
This works much faster than other washers I have used in the past.

I have been very happy with how well this washer performs. My clothes look great and are kept in very good condition.

The knobs can be a little fiddly and hard to turn accurately, but once you get used to it, it's very easy to use.

It is not really attractive, but it's not like it's out in the open, so it doesn't really matter how it looks.

This puts up with at least one load every single day, and it has held up great.

Great for the price

from New Johnsonville, TN

Comments about GE Top Load Washer:

My husband and I received the GE top load washer as a wedding gift from my parents. We were thrilled to receive such a generous gift. Our washer is more of what some may refer to as a basic model, but we love it. We have since added a son to our family who is a busy toddler. Between the three of us, there are at least 5 loads of laundry washed each week. It has been eight years since we received our washer and we have not had one issue with it. I like that the settings are simple, and all that we need. There's no guessing on how to wash a load of clothes and starting the washer does not take ten minutes and an engineering degree. (I have used some family members' really fancy washers and feel completely inept at doing laundry when I do so!) Our clothes come out clean and the washer does not seem to waste water. We can wash large loads and not worry about overpowering the machine or things not coming out sufficiently laundered. I have been very happy with our washer and I hope it lasts several more years.

Works well

from Edina, MN

Comments about GE Top Load Washer:

I really like the General Electric Top Load Washer. It has great load capacity so you can fit in a large blanket or about 10 pairs of jeans of assorted sizes and have them washed efficiently. The regulators for different types of washes, temperatures and water levels give you pretty much everything you need to have each wash personalized. I like separating the clothing depending on what you are washing and this washer is great for delicates and washing them in a gentle manner. Also I have kids so I am doing a lot of laundry always, so our is put to use often and we have had no problems with it so far. General Electric has great household appliances and the durability on their products is fabulous. We are very satisfied.

Energy Efficiency
Good, we have had no problem with our electric bill shooting through the roof.

Cleaning Time
Cleaning time is average and reasonable and depends on what clothing you are putting through to wash.

Great! Leaves items cleaned and fresh and wrings out the majority of water to bring dryer time to a miminum.

Simple to use, even my kids can get the hang of it.

My GE washer

from New City, NY

Comments about GE Top Load Washer:

Good. No problems.and it cleans good..

Energy Efficiency
It is hard to tell since my electric bill covers the whole house.It takes a reasonable amount of time to complete the cycles.

Cleaning Time
Each cycle takes the needed time to clean the clothes. I don't feel it needs more or less time to get the clothes clean.

Compact and sleek.

I have had it for 5 years and I hope it will last another ten years.

works great

from Bellevue, NE

Comments about GE Top Load Washer:

I bought this washer about 10 years ago and it has worked perfectly every time. I guess my only complaint is that it doesn't have a slot for fabric softener, but I've gotten along without it ok. It's a basic machine, and it cleans well and I haven't had any trouble with it at all ever.

Energy Efficiency
It's fine I think. I have options for load size and water temperature so i have some control on use as well.

Cleaning Time
The loads don't take all that long and the clothes come out great. And if i pay attention, I can hear when it goes to rinse so I can add softener then if I want to, since it doesn't have a set up for fabric softener.

I have no complaints about cleaning. The clothes come out great. It does an excellent job of cleaning and the price was reasonable.

It's super easy. There's a dial for load size, and a dial for wash/rinse temperature.

Seems very efficient and self-explanatory. There are adjustments for load size and wash/rinse temperature. It's that easy. It's a basic white washer, which suits my purposes well.

Excellent. I've had it about ten years and use it regularly and have had no problems whatsoever.

GE Top Load HE Washer

Comments about GE Top Load Washer:

This is a good washing machine for basic needs. We purchased this along with a matching GE dryer, so the price was fairly low since it was a bundle. There are no bells and whistles with this machine, but there are some nice features. First off, you have different options for the type of load, from small all the way up to extra heavy, meaning jeans or blankets, and this is nice as to save water and energy. The next feature I enjoy is how quiet the machine is, I never even know it's running until I hear the beep to let me know the cycle is over. That's another feature, the machine alerts you shortly before it turns off and again when it completely done(no guessing). The inside of the machine is considerably larger than most which makes larger load easier, and there is no plastic part sticking up in the middle taking up space like in other machines. There are some negatives about this machine, like the fact that it's a high efficiency machine and you have to buy HE detergents only, they cost a little more. My only complaint is that lately there has been residue on my dark clothes from inside the washer, so I brought some cleaner made for washers, but that hasn't worked. I also tried running vinegar through the machine on very hot water, waiting to see if that clears problem up. This is a good machine, never needed fixing, have had for three years. I would recommend for a basic washing machine.

Cleaning Time
Does seem to take longer than others since it uses less water

Just a basic washing machine

Very easy controls

Basic

Have had for three years, still going strong.

Easy to Use!

Comments about GE Top Load Washer:

This washing machine is great! It is very user friendly and a smart buy for those on a budget. Although it is just your basic white washing machine, it still is modern and energy efficient. This washing machine can handle a wide range of loads, from several pairs or jeans, towels, sheets, or simply a small load of socks!

Energy Efficiency
Energy efficient! Definitely noticeable on your electric and water bills! Great plus!

Cleaning Time
Takes about 45 minutes to an hour to complete a large or super load of laundry. I rarely use the "small" setting, so I am not too sure how long that takes.

For a budget friendly washing machine, this performs excellent!

Very user friendly. Three dials, multiple options, but still very easy to use!

Basic white top load washing machine. No fancy colors, front load with a window, or touch screen, but it still gets the job done perfectly!

Very durable. You can do wash, after wash, after wash. This washing machine has never clogged or broke.

Best washer I ever had

Comments about GE Top Load Washer:

I had this washer and loved it! I only gave it away because I wanted a matching washer dryer set. What a mistake! I miss this washer so much. This washer cleaned very well and I love all the options like extra rinse cycle. My new washer does not have an extra rinse cycle and I miss is so much. It also had different water temp settings and it was quiet. I never thought that mattered till I got this new one it is so loud I can not even run it at night, I am going to buy a new washer come tax season and I so want to get this one again. It was such a good washer. I guess you really dont know what you have till you loose it. I gave it to a lady at church and wish I could just ask for it back. I will be buying one just like this again. If I could have this in a front loader I so would but I am worried to try any other kind now since I did not realize how much of an impact it would have on my life since my husband works outdoors and I have 2 kids.

Best Washer Ever

Comments about GE Top Load Washer:

This washer was put in my home when it was built. I have never had a problem with it. It is about 15 years old now. I have never run into a problem with it. It continues to work just like the first day we had it. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone.

Energy Efficiency
This washer does fill up pretty much all the way for a large load and about half way for a small load. It uses a lot of water but it gets the job done better than the newer washers that barely pour any water into the washer.

Cleaning Time
I have the matching dryer. I can wash a large load and dry it in an hour and 15 minutes. It is very nice that it does not take a long time to finish a load.

My clothes always come out clean. If I have some tough stains I usually use a stain remover but I rarely ever have to wash clothes more than once to get them clean. This washer definitely does its job. I don't have to worry about cleaning it with the affresh product that the new washers require.

Turn a knob to the correct setting and pull the knob out and it starts right up.

The washer does have its flaws when it comes to the agitator. Tank tops, bras, and bathing suits get wrapped around the agitator but it has never ruined my clothes. I just have to untangle it when I wash those items.

I have had this washer for over ten years and it still works like a charm. I have never had to have it serviced or anything. I hope that it continues to work the way it does. I have read many reviews and wanted a newer one until recently. The newer ones seem to have a lot of electronic issues and the cleaning performance is not as great. They also do not seem to last as long as mine has. I will keep it until it dies.

Great Washer!

Comments about GE Top Load Washer:

My in-laws bought my husband and I this GE Top Load Washer for a wedding gift. We have had this washer going on 7 years now and it is still going strong. Washed thousands of loads including muddy clothes loads, delicate loads, and I even washed some shoes a few times. If on accident you overload the washer, when it starts the spinning cycle the washer makes a lot of noise, but even though I did that a few times it still works great. For a little less expensive washer then other more expensive washers this works great.

Cleaning Time
From start to finish it usually takes a half an hour for a large load.

It does a great job washing your clothes.

It is very simple to use. You set the washer settings and put soap detergent in with your clothes and close lid and turn it on. Usually within a half hour it completes the whole washing experience.

It last 7 years and still going strong. So as long as you take care of it, the washer should last a long time. I am hoping for another 7 years.