Other Freezers:

GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW

Pros

Cons

Cost conscience and compact

I purchased this GE chest freezer when I realized that my side by side is too small.

We have a family of 5 and this is perfect for the extra bread and when I find a sale on meat.

I wanted something that would allow me extra space but not too big where I loose track of what I have.  I thought if the food goes bad I'm not saving any money on wasting food.

I did look at the 7cu. size but I think this is a better deal and makes me rotate my food.

I divided up left side older food, right side newer purchases.

It works for us.

The chest is colder than an upright since the temp does not change when it's opened as cold air drops.  So the food stays fresher longer.

Since it's a chest and a manual defrost model I only have to defrost it about once a year or longer.  Since it is not opened over and over again the frost does not build up.

Good freezer, but chews through energy

We bought the GE FCM7SUWW Freezer Chest at a black friday sale where this item was a doorbuster to get you to shop at their store. We picked up this item as we've had trouble finding space for all of our food storage needs, particularly frozen.

It really has a lot of space for storage, though you may want to invest in some extra storage racks (sold separately) if you don't like diving into a mess of frozen items any time you need to find something. I didn't mind the mess as much as having to lean up against that freezing cold unit for awhile while I searched. The racks really help enhance the unit.

The cooling was superb and really met our needs in that area.

The biggest drawback however was that this thing absolutely chews through your electricity, so be prepared for a significant hike in your energy bill.

Nearly 13 Years Of Bounty

Comments about GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW:

How can one live without a good freeser chest? What refrigerator/ freeser combo has adequate freeser space to even accomodate icecream, roasts, seafood, icecubes and TV dinners? None!! Let's face it, without one, we might as well go back in time and visit the butchershop every other day!

Temperature Control
At full power, my foods are maintained rock hard.

Capacity
At the present I am storing 4 whole turkeys, 2 packages of chicken parts, 2 packages of steaks, 1 a whole ham roast, 1 pork roast. 2 half gallon icecream containers, a couple packs of Oscar Mayer cold cuts, 2 lbs of froxen fish, and a few packages of vegetables, and frankfurters. There is a little more space left.

I only need to defrost it twice annually. I keep the exterior clean using a spray of pine cleaner, and occasionally ajax or comet cleanser and a green scrubber cloth.

I moved the unit when I changed residences. I saw it being knocked around a bit having been moved out of one apartment down corridors, on and off vans, and up ad down elevators without the benefit of professional movers. The appliance was scuffed a little but, but remained mechanically unscathed.

Has a simple, but well thought out design. A removable basket, and a smaller more narrow compartment section allows you to seperate heavier bulk items like whole turkeys from more fragile items like popsicles.

Why not get one?

Comments about GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW:

As a family of 5, we needed more freezer space, as the fridge freezer just didn't cut it. We saw an awesome sale on these chest freezers and decided to try one out. We were worried we'd never use this much space and that our electric bill would sky rocket. Well, we DO use all of this space and our bill has hardly budged at all!

Temperature Control
One night one of my children left the freezer open and when we noticed the next morning, our items in the freezer were still frozen. It had obviously dropped in temperature but unlike a fridge door being left open, nothing was spoiled and didn't even thaw out. When closed, the seal is extra tight (even I have had a hard time opening it at times) so you can be assured what's in there will remind extra cold.

Capacity
Don't let the small look trick you! These things are deep and fit a lot of stuff!

The entire unit it pretty smooth so cleaning has been very simple. Of course, being white, the outside can get dirty quickly but wiping it off is easy, as it's not a porous surface. The inside is smooth and very easy to clean if any spills or messes should occur.

• Capacity:

frozen food tastes fresh from my garden to my freezer.

Comments about GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW:

Its amazing on how much I can fit in my freezer. I am a avid gardener and like to freeze all my own vegetables so this smaller but not the smallest freezer works great for me and my family. I have had my freezer for awhile and it was a worth while purchase for all of my needs. I bought the freezer for a good price and it has been wonderful to have all my own fresh frozen veggies.

Temperature Control
there is a control for adjusting the temperature. I have always had good results with the temperature staying a steady even temp and keeping all my food frozen until I use them.

Capacity
I was really surprised at how much this freezer really holds. I stock it at harvest time and it lasts all winter and spring.

this is a deep chest freezer so it is kind of hard to reach the bottom but I get the job done. It takes awhile but for the great large amount of food it holds I will do the little bit of extra work to get it clean.

It is built very strong and durable and withstands things placed on top of it for storage with ease.

The simple easy design make it easy to use and clean.

• Capacity:

Reliable great small chest freezer

from Ballston Lake, NY

Comments about GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW:

Just what I needed! Holds lots of homemade soup, chilli, pasta sauce, etc. Now we can buy meat and bread on sale and this keeps it frozen with no freezer burn for months. Since it is not auto defrost, it never warms up and food does not form ice crystals. Love it!

The Perfect Little Freezer

Comments about GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW:

I enjoy cooking and baking; preparing meals in bulk and freezing them so I always have something healthy to eaHowever, I live in an apartment and space is very limited and the kitchen freezer is rather small. I spent a good month comparing compact chest freezers on-line before I decided on the brand to purchase. GE won without putting up any fight. I just received my butchered meat and I still have tons of space left for my meals. One of the best purchases I've made.

Temperature Control
I had the chest delivered and "set-up". The store told me what setting was best and I have not had any issues. I did read a few reviews that said they had to freeze the food first in their kitchen freezer before placing in the chest, but I put everything in the chest from the start and it is all frozen solid.

Capacity
Eventhough this is a compact chest it is like the Tardis - bigger on the inside :-) I currenlty have 1/8 of a steer plus 40 lbs of fruit in there and it is not even 1/4 full. The only issue I forsee is reaching the items at the very bottom so I used small plastic bins to place the items in and then all I have to do is lift the bins out to reach what I'm after. It also keeps everything neatly organized.

I have had this unit for 7 months now and have not needed to defrost. The outside is easy enough to wipe down.

I expect this unit to last a long time. It sits in a guest room so it is not exposed to outside conditions. It runs VERY quietly and I have not noticed an increase in the power bill.

It is compact and "hides" nicely in the spare bedroom. I'm very pleased with this product.

• Capacity:

GE Freezer Chest is top of the line.

from Richmond, VA

Comments about GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW:

GE Freezer Chest is top of the line. It has additional features that allow for the perfect controls and conditions for any items to freeze. There is a temperature dial, defrost, and large capacity.

Temperature Control
I love the option to adjust the temperature. In any situation or temperature required this freezer should have the ability.

Capacity
This freezer has a large capacity. The entire freezer is almost open for storage. I do like the basket style for easy access that was made to utilize the space where the hump is for the freezers operational parts. There is also additional capacity where the baskets are that hang from the top.

It is easy to clean, but the depth due to the freezer make it a little hard to reach down.

This is made very well and has help up great.

The design is typical for a freezer. The temperature control and off button is as the bottom which I am not fond of. I do like lock option on the freezer.

• Capacity:

save money buying in bulk

from Buffalo, NY

Comments about GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW:

I love having the extra freezer space and the energy saver feature makes this a great product

Temperature Control
temperature control is very easy to adjust. It is also easy to access temperature controls.

Capacity
when we were looking for a stand alone freezer I thought the smaller one was a better option but my husband insisted this is better. i was concerned with the energy costs but this is energy star product so I agreed. I am so happy he insisted because when we shop at warehouse stores or order a meat package from the local butcher I am able to store everything. I also love to make large blocks of ice sometimes for activity days with the kids. we are not experts but it is fun to try to ice sculpt sometimes and having the large enough freezer makes that possible.

My freezer is in the garage and so it is not as protected as any other appliance in our house and it sometimes becomes the "table" for the extra stuff family members have with them when they come in and yet it is still in very good shape. it is abused and still looks and works great.

functions perfect in its simple design a box freezer for extra storage beyond the kitchen refrigerator.

• Capacity:

It does what it's supposed to do, freeze.

from Westchester, IL

Comments about GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW:

I purchased the GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW to store extra meat and bread when it's on sale. The freezer appears to have a small exterior, but it's very roomy inside. This freezing unit is stored in my basement in the corner. This unit doesn't take up much space and it's very quiet. This freezer keeps all of my goods frozen and is very energy efficient compared to the older model I purchased in the 90s. This freezer was up and
running to full capacity within hours. The lid is close to air tight, but there is a little frost on the sides of box. This freezer does everything I need it to do so I have no complaints. The only issue I can see with this unit is that if it breaks down repair is not a wise option. The parts to repair cost more than the actually unit so it just makes more sense to buy another one. I would recommend the GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW to any one looking to buy a good quality freezer on a low budget.

Great for homesteaders!

from Mount Laurel, NJ

Comments about GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW:

My husband and I went back and forth on whether we should invest in a chest freezer or an upright freezer for our garden veggies and meat from hunting. We opted to go with the chest freezer because the ratings were good, the electricity draw was minimal and we saved a lot of space in our garage.

SO far we are very pleased with our decision. The freezer hasn't changed our utility bill at all and it works wonderfully. The other day our kids left the door open for an hour and everything was still frozen solid. We filled the freezer pretty quickly so if you have a very large family you might want to consider a larger model. We are a family of five who gardens and hunts and this freeze suits us nicely.

The biggest con is that when using a chest freezer you have to be quite organized. Things at the bottom can only be retrieved by removing everything on top. If you can keep a system in place it's not a problem but if not it could be a real pain.

Money Saver

from Greer, SC

Comments about GE Freezer Chest FCM7SUWW:

We have owned this freezer for a few years and have no been disappointed. We have a little shed outside our home this freezer stays in and it's perfect for such a small space. We enjoy freezing meals and storing "extras" in this freezer. It makes for great easy weeknight meals and also allows us to stock up on sale items at the grocery store. This freezer has convenient freezer baskets to make organizing a breeze. We haven't even had to defrost this freezer because the frost doesn't build up. If the power goes out and you keep it shut it will keep your food frozen for a long time. We have absolutely no complaints about this freezer and highly recommend it.