Other Digital Cameras:
Point-and-Shoot Digital Cameras
Fujifilm
Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera

Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera

Fuji Digital Camera is leaps and bounds better than others!

The Fuji FinePixS1000fd digital camera is amazing.  When my Olympus camera of 7 yrs died a sudden death, I first bought an average priced, average quality (according to the labels) camera.  It was one of those slim cameras with only a viewfinder screen.  After losing out on once in a lifetime shots including a wild moose and the camera chewing through batteries before returning home from a 1 1/2 hour drive, I decided that I needed to return that camera and get a REAL camera.  As a result I ended up purchasing the Fuji camera.

This particular camera had a lot of positive selling points for me.

1. Size - it is much easier to hold on to this camera for those who have trouble holding small objects.

2. Weight - it is a little bit heavier than those slim cameras, but not too heavy for someone with weak wrists.

3. Memory Card - after noticing that some cameras are now using XD cards, vs SD or SDHD cards, I went with this camera because I know the SD cards will work in my digital picture frame.

4. Price - although it was more expensive than I was expecting to pay, the price was very reasonable compared to other cameras of this size, quality and features.

5. Viewfinder - for those of us who would rather have an option of whether or not to use a viewfinder screen, this camera is perfect because you can turn off the viewfinder screen and instead use the eye hole.

6. Battery life - unlike the other camera that chewed through the new batteries (I had put in brand new ones as we were leaving the driveway) in less than 1 1/2 hours, this Fuji camera is a refreshing change.  I take pictures nearly every day with 2 days per week being all-day trips, and the batteries last an average of 3-4 weeks.

7. Zoom - after 7 yrs of a 4X zoom, this camera is amazing at 12X zoom.  I have been able to take recognizable pictures of animals from nearly half of a mile above (I do a lot of photography in the mountains).

8. Neck Strap - as opposed to the smaller camera that I tried which only had a wrist strap, the neck strap helps me feel more confident that the camera will not slip out of my hand as I hang out my car window to take a picture as we drive by at 70 mph.

9. Flash - unlike some cameras that only allow automatic flashes, this camera allows you to turn the flash on and off as YOU see fit.

10. Photo Quality - in nearly 8 months of owning the camera (through today) I have taken just over 1,250 pictures from the Rocky Mountains to the east coast and in temperatures ranging from 80 degrees to 19 degrees below zero and the pictures I took yesterday are of the same great quality as the first day I owned the camera.

This camera is a perfect fit for any amateur photographer who wants a great camera without extra bells and whistles that only a professional would be apt to use...or in some cases even know HOW to use.

Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd is good, but not fantastic.

I was in the market for an excellent camera - I was looking at DSLRs and I had just started working. I agreed with a family member that she would a certain portion towards a DSLR and because I was working, I would wait a couple of paychecks and put the rest down and get a REALLY good camera as I wanted to start a photography business.

Well the family member, although her intentions were obviously good, bought me this camera out of nowhere and didn't discuss it with me. I had already looked at several reviews and decided that a) I wanted a Lithium Ion rechargable battery and b) I wanted a camera that had manual focussing options... This has neither. It takes 4 AA batteries and although it doesn't eat them up as badly as a lot of cameras I've experienced, it still gets through them at a fair pace if you're using the camera regularly. The focus is utterly frustrating at times - it will focus on the background when the subject of your photo is taking up 80% of the frame and generally sucks most of the time for taking artsy photos.

It has lots of different options, but honestly...it's like a regular digital camera trying to pretend to be a DSLR...and failing miserably.

I have two cameras and I use this one more frequently, but it is SO frustrating I sometimes want to lob it across the room. Occasionally I get some really good pictures from it (in JUST the right lighting it will focus on a subject and blur the background out nicely and give a good, clear picture like a DSLR would) but I would have much preferred a proper DSLR camera, because I already had a half decent regular digital camera.

Overall, if you can afford it, I would recommend getting a DSLR instead of this. Otherwise, if you're just looking for a good, regular digital camera, this will work fine.

Fujifilk Finepix has a fan for life

from Greensboro, NC

Comments about Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera:

I am over the moon with my new Fujifilm Finepix digital camera! I should qualify that statement by saying I've had only cheap pocket-sized digital cameras before this one, so it's not fair for me to compare to other larger models BUT I couldn't be more pleased with this model.

It's very easy to adjust the settings and even edit on camera. This is so easy to use, even my kids love to play with it.

Image Quality
There are several available settings for image quality right on the device. I'm able to get gorgeous, crisp results (and I'm a pretty poor photographer, so that's saying a lot).

This camera has every feature I need and does it really well. At first the number of options felt a little overwhelming, but I spent a happy day playing with it and now can use most of the settings with confidence.

Very easy to use once you get used to it, and that doesn't take very long at all.

So far so good! I have only had it for a short while so we'll see how it holds up.

Battery Life
I charged the battery right when I received the camera on Christmas and still haven't needed to recharge. Impressive!

Portability
It comes with a variety of straps plus a carrying case. Portability-wise, it's all set.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Point and Shoot but almost SLR

from Macon, GA

Comments about Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera:

This model has 12x optical zoom and 10 megapixels. The latter is variable if you are worried about computer hard drive space. The camera itself can hold 800 shots at 10mp with the optional SD card. The screen is 2.7 inches diag and one can use it or the viewfinder to shoot.

The camera is fully featureD but still quite compact, about the size of a Pentax ME. Shooting modes include full auto, movie and panorama.

It is light and shaped to be easy and comfortable to hold steady for shooting.

Transfer to computer is via the supplied USB cord.

The camera has proven to be rugged, reliable and gives great results, especially in face recognition mode.

Fuji Digital Camera is leaps and bounds better than others!

from Aurora, CO

Comments about Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera:

This particular camera had a lot of positive selling points for me.

Great Camera, especially for the price

from Woodstock, GA

Comments about Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera:

We got this camera when our first child, our son, was born in 2008. We knew we wanted a camera that was more than a simple point and shoot, and even though we liked the idea of an SLR, we didn't want to pay that type of price. We have loved this camera, and although there is quite a bit we would like to learn about photography, the camera is pretty good, easy to understand, and takes good pictures. It is easy to transfer photos to the computer, and is very user friendly. It is also small enough to be very portable. The videos that it takes are also pretty high quality, for the type of camera that it is, and for the price. The LCD screen is also adequate. Overall, the Fujifilm S1000fd camera is perfect for someone like us, a young family, who wants to take candid photos of our family, and our children as they grow. It is plenty fancy for those who wish they were photographers, but don't necessarily have that specific talent!

Good Camera, but not Great

from Flippin, AR

Comments about Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera:

This camera does take excellent pictures, as others have stated, however, it does not have Image Stabilization and therefore, if you're trying to take pictures of your children during a play or something similar, you end up with a bunch of blurry pictures.  I was SO disappointed.  I loved the pictures I had taken that were posed for and planned.  But trying to take a picture of someone moving or while going about their business, caused me to get a bunch of blurry, useless pictures.  I thought it was my settings or something I was doing wrong, but I looked into the issue and found it was because this camera doesn't have the Image Stabilization.  This is my 3rd FugiFilm Camera, and I love them, but my next one WILL have the Image Stabilization for sure!

love my fujifilm Finepix S1000fd digital camera!

from Ava, MO

Comments about Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera:

My brother bought me this camera for Christmas in 2007. It was an upgrade from using my mom's 7MP camera. I'm a wannabe amatuer photographer and there's few things I love like taking the perfect photo. I sometimes have a hard time getting it to focus where I want and it doesn't take really good pictures with poor lighting/indoors. My biggest complaint there is the white balance gets off and I can't adjust it or if I'm taking a picture of, say, a sunset, it will capture the colors of the sunset very well but everything else looks pale/washed out. It's also a bit big and bulky for just average use... I've seen cameras with just as much options/good quality that have a much sleeker/lightweight design.

One thing I like over previous cameras I've used is that it has a shorter warm-up time than a lot of them, but it still takes a little too long sometimes... I guess that's to be expected with digital cameras though.

Overall, I love my camera. It's a good deal for the price and it functions pretty well for what I use it for. Someday I'll upgrade to a DSLR maybe, but until then I'm content with my fujifilm :)

Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd is good, but not fantastic.

from Oklahoma City, OK

Fabulous camera!

from Chicago, IL

Comments about Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera:

I couldn't ask for a better camera.  When my friend suggested it, he was worried it would be too large.  But it's nice to have something to grip, and I love the little handle/grip on the side.  This little camera has it all!  My favorite feature is the video **including sound**!  My previous camera didn't record sound.  There are many features I'm still trying to get to know, including the aperture and shutter opening settings, but some of my favorites include the panorama shot, the soft lighting on the portrait shots, and the natural light setting.  But honestly, the auto setting works for almost everything I need when it comes to everyday picture-taking.  An extra bonus is the continuous frame setting for those action shots of my very active cdhildren.  This is a great camera, small and light enough for everyday use, but sturdy and versatile enough for even those special shots.  I use this camera almost constantly, and it goes with us just about everywhere we go.  Highly recommend it!

Love It

from LEROY, NY

Comments about Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera:

I have the Fujifilm Fine Pix S1500 and I love it the pictures come out so crisp and clear, and I love the Shake Mode, where if it detects the camera being moved or shaked it still takes a clear picture. It has many different and useful settings it is a fun camera! It also gets the most use out of batteries, I am not replacing batteries as often as I did with my other digital camera.

This Camera is a delight to use!!

from Chambersburg, PA

Comments about Fujifilm - Finepix S1000fd Digital Camera:

This is my 2nd digital camera.  I love this one.  We live in a rural area and ground chucks, chipmunks and deer are some of the ''4 leggeds Vistors" we have. I also bought a sunshade for it.  I think most of the digital's need a sunshade.  What I like is being able to take pictures of the wildlife without scaring them off.  The direction are easy to understand.  You can take photo's that you get compliments on.  I use recharable batteries, and when it's not in use, I just open the battery door. I love playing with all the different settings and finding out new things about it.  If your new to digital cameras or an old pro I feel this is an excellent buy for the money.