1.9

1.9

Pros

Cons

Etihad Airways - Toronto to Abu Dhabi - So close to perfect

This is an extraordinarily long review, I know. But there is a lot of detail to cover to give you a comprehensive sense of what the service was like on our Etihad Airways flight to Abu Dhabi and back.**The Airline of Abu Dhabi knows how to treat a passenger**, especially if the passenger is paying the big bucks required to fly in business class. The decision to do so makes all kinds of sense, as the flight from North America to the United Arab Emirates is a 12-hour non-stopper. Can you imagine 12 hours in coach?Yes, people make long flights in coach. We used to do so when flying from Los Angeles to Australia and return. But we were younger then and would sprawl on the floor without a second thought, or across three vacant seats if we could find them together. The possibility of finding three seats across was more likely then, when airlines were a little more flush and planes flew with lower load factors.**But, back to business class on Etihad.** It starts in the Premium Lounge, a private lounge area for business class passengers awaiting flight departures. Every comfort is offered, from breakfast dishes (our flight departed at 10:00 AM from Toronto), coffee, juices, easy chairs and sofas, computer terminals and a low-buzz atmosphere to start the business class experience.On the plane, business class is immediately behind the First Class section and separated from coach by a galley. It is arranged with approximately a dozen compartmentalized seats. They are arranged as pairs for those who don't object to the intimacy of someone sleeping immediately next to them. Or, separated by partitions for those who want more privacy. Each seat is an enclosed space with a wall about four feet high. The seat faces a small bench, which has an individually -controlled video screen. A small stowage area is provided beneath the bench. **The seat itself includes controls for everything from an upright back to a flat bed.** When in the bed mode, the space is very comfortable place to sleep. (I did seven hours without waking.) There also is a spot massage and a wave massage feature. It is a wonderful way to reduce the stress of a long time sent on a plane.**We were not without entertainment options, however. **The video screen offers movies, documentaries and television show episodes. I watched several episodes of *Arrested Development *that I had missed.**The first thing that greets you on the screen, however, is a camera on the nose of the aircraft, an Airbus 340.** You watch as the plane taxis out to the runway and then as the ground beneath you accelerates and the plane is airborne.There also is a full audio program if that is what you desire. Sound is delivered through a set of earphones. It all is controlled by a remote hand set.When it is time to sleep, you push the "bed" button which moves the seat forward to meet the bench in front (mind your knees) with the seat back reclining to flat horizontal.**But first, be prepared to eat and drink.** The lunch menu includes such items as caramelized muhummer and onion roasted quiche with herb salad, potato pancakes with smoked ocean trout and horseradish cream, steamed salmon, Spanish-style chicken chilindron, crab and lobster spaghetti parmesan, spinach and parmesan arancini with fresh tomato sauce, organic five-leaf salad and steamed rice, with a selection of cheese and four sweets to choose from.**That doesn't include the "Anytime" kitchen menu.** Those additional selections are too numerous to mention. Everything on the menu is served throughout the flight by request. Despite the Muslim prohibition against alcohol, some top-drawer wines were offered. These included blanc de blancs French champagne, a French chardonnay, an Italian chardonnay/pinot blanc, a New Zealand sauvignon blanc, a Bordeaux red, a California pinot noir, a South Australian shiraz and a French sauvignon and muscadelle dessert wine. Then there were the spirits, from Chivas to Jack Daniels to Grey Goose to Courvoisier and Cockburn port.**Actually there was entirely too much to eat and drink,** which could lead to a very unpleasant next day. Alas, experienced flyers learn to pace themselves so that will arrive at their destination in reasonably fresh and sober condition.I mustn't forget to mention the toiletries kit given to each passenger. It is a convenient little black bag, suitable for many recycled uses, containing a sleep mask, slipper socks, water, toothpaste and brush and sampling of Aigner cosmetics. **Everything about this flight was excellent.** Especially arriving in Abu Dhabi and being "fast tracked" through formalities, with our son waiting to drive us to the villa he calls home.The return flight from Abu Dhabi to Toronto was mostly a mirror image of the outbound flight. Departure time was 2 AM, which could have been a problem except that business class includes a car to pick you up at home and take you to the airport. (We could have arranged a chauffeured car when we arrived but we were eager to see our son and vice versa.) **The difference was a more active premium lounge.** (It seems many Etihad flights leave Abu Dhabi in the early, early morning, and not just to cities that are half a globe away.) But the amenities were generous and, once we found a pair of empty seats, we were fine, or would have been if the flight departure had not been delayed for an hour.**The return flight was uneventful - except for the bottle of red wine a flight attendant spilled on my new trousers. **There was a flurry of rinsing with soda water and applying of Tide stick to mitigate the stain. Nevertheless, the trousers are still unwearable, unless our local dry cleaners can remove the residual discoloration. So that was a bummer. I will bill Etihad Airways to reimburse the cost of cleaning. I have no guarantee that they will respond.**All up, service on Etihad was superlative.** I would have given them a perfect score. But I can't ignore a wine bath, no matter how accidental. If you are planning a trip to the U.A.E., business class on Etihad is a great way to travel, perhaps the only way to travel considering the hours you will spend in the air.

Discrimination of handicapped and seniors!!

My father Dr. M. M. Taqui khan and my mother Dr. Badar Taqui Khan were business class passengers on Etihad flight EY 150 on October 3, 2010.  Their ticket numbers were ETKT 6077915916739-1 and 6077915916740-1.  They boarded the flight on wheel chairs.  They were moved from their wheel chairs to their respective seats on the plane.  At that time the chief Air Hostess on that flight asked my dad if he will be able to assist my mother.  My dad said yes.  The air hostess then demanded very rudely that my dad demonstrate in front of the staff how he can take care of my mother.  The air hostess was very arrogant, impolite and discriminatory.  She brought the captain of the flight and the other crew and very uncourteously demanded that my parents leave the aircraft.  My parents were removed from the aircraft.

Both my parents are handicapped senior citizens.  The misbehavior of the crew of the aircraft has deeply shocked and hurt my parents and has left indelible, horrible memories from the mistreatment caused to them by your crew. They felt as though they were being treated as criminals and were being punished for having boarded the aircraft. My parents were subjected to a high level of stress and psychological trauma.  They were removed from the aircraft and taken back to the ticket counter with their luggage.  They had to wait near the ticket counter for hours, tired and exhausted with no food or water. My father is diabetic. This situation had put his life at risk. This could have resulted in putting him in a coma and other complications from lack of food.

The caregiver we had hired had already left once my parents were aboard the flight to India .  Once they were removed from the plane, we had to start desperately making calls to find a caregiver. Unfortunately, we were unable to locate anyone at such short notice.  Later, we had to hire a person at double the wages.  I personally had to take off from work for two days with no notice.  My sister, Nasreen Zaidi had to cancel her family vacation to accompany my parents to India .  She had already purchased non-refundable plane tickets for the family to visit Denver and had to cancel the travel plans.

My parents are both retired professors of chemistry.  They have spent their entire lives in service to society.   You can Google my mom and my dad and see their contributions.  They have both produced PhD students who are now professors of chemistry or industry scientists.   The least they can expect back from society is respect.

This kind of treatment by Etihad crew is unacceptable by all ethical standards of civilized society.

Needs major imporvements

from San Francisco, CA

Comments about Etihad Airways:

I flew from San Francisco to Abu Dhabi and then to Kathmandu. Then back from Kathmandu to Abu Dhabi. flight got delayed and missed. They were kind enough to fit me in flight to Los Angeles next morning and provided with voucher to spend a night at the airport hotel.

I upgraded my ticket to Business class from SFO to KTM. Compare to other international airlines, their service is poor in business class standard. It took hour and half to get my drink after plane took off from the ground in Business class - KTM To ABU. On the way back, I decided to try Economy class from Abu Dhabi to USA and found out it was the most horrible flight experience I had in the past twenty six years flying back and forth from USA to other countries.

Ok, let me make it clear, it was all about flight attendants. Sixteen hours of journey itself is not that easy. One needs to be hydrated constantly to keep with the long journey. However, attendants treated passengers like they are looking for free food and handouts. It was the most pathetic scene. If they can not provide "free" food or drinks, how about selling?

I think the management in Etihad Airlines is extremely poor and I would be hesitant to fly agin.
Needs major improvements on hospitality side.

Terrible customer service - avoid this airline

Comments about Etihad Airways:

My family had an international travel on Etihad Airways three months ago. On reaching home, we found that many valuable items (which were bought as gifts for family) were stolen from our checked-in bags. Their total value is more than $2000. We have been contacting the airline since then but have not received a single response. We submitted the online baggage claim form, wrote more than a dozen e-mails, made phone calls, wrote a complaint on their website, and did everything but have not received a single response in three months. This is so frustrating and disappointing. Now I have decided to share this terrible experience with others, so they either avoid Etihad Airways completely or do not take anything new in their checked bags.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

OK in flight and lounges but diabolically dishonest service.

Comments about Etihad Airways:

I like some of the other reviews that I have read on this site and others have been at the sharp end of Etihad's sharp and slightly dishonest business practices. I was a member of their loyalty scheme, patently saving up for a family trip but when I went to see about booking it most of them had gone. I was shocked that a large number had gone missing. On investigation it seemed they had been 'expired' by the airline - no warning, no mention among all the junk they sent me imploring me to book extra journeys, they just disappeared. When I wrote to the Chief exec to explain why I wouldn't be using them again I just got what appeared to be a standard reply indicating that they had not even bothered to read my email properly. Well I won't be using them again and I can't recommend that anyone else does either.

Cheaters

Comments about Etihad Airways:

‪#‎Etihad_worst_Airlines_ever‬ The worst between all Airlines, they are obviously cheaters, My nightmare started when I booked a ticket for my family from Abu Dhabi to Frankfurt round trip, and since not sure about the return I booked it refundable and paid extra charge, when I decided to refund the return ticket, they refused and denied that its refundable and when asked them about the extra charge, they simply answered that you lost it and the reason you accepted terms and conditions that are different than what you see on booking interface without any warnings, they let you do the process and pay more for fake products. “BEWARE”

Awesome Airline

Comments about Etihad Airways:

I had the opportunity of flying EtihadAirways from Nigeria in November, 2013 to Chicago. The plane I boarded (I want to believe) was relatively new. The interior was cozy and spacious and the flight attendants were very courteous. Unlike all the reports I have heard concerning this Airline, I had a really good time on this journey that lasted more than 24hours due to the weather and the stop-over at Abu-Dhabi. The food including the dessert was very nice and there was availability of various kinds of drinks. I was provided a bassinet to put my daughter in so that I won't be stressed for the long journey. Thanks to the experience of the pilots when we experienced turbulent weather that kept on tossing the airplane like a feather. Another thing that slightly marred the journey was the time delay which we experienced at Abu-Dhabi. It will be better if the flight is a direct one. I will gladly recommend this Airline if my opinion is needed.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

You dont get what you pay for

Comments about Etihad Airways:

Flew Abu Dhabi to NYC was on a Jet Airways India flight. It was filthy. Etihad isnt the cheapest, I certainly felt ripped off. I was previously a huge Etihad fan so very very disapointed.

Service
The flight was dirty. Toilets a disgrace. The staff uninterested.

In-Flight Accommodations
Seats were average. It would have been fine if it was clean.

Excellent service

from NA

Comments about Etihad Airways:

My company had booked tickets of Ethiad Airways about a year ago fora business trip where I was accompanied by six of my colleagues from my office. The tickets were of Business class and the travel time was of 6.5 hours. The in-flight accommodation was excellent and all the facilities and services required for passenger's comfort were made available. The seats were very comfortable and the airlines provided the right entertainment and headsets were provided during the journey. The staff members were attentive and were very polite while addressing us and they made sure that we feel comfortable during the travel.

The food served during the journey was excellent in taste and appetizing. The restrooms were very spacious with the latest equipment and the hygiene level was taken care off well. The complimentary drinks were the highlight of our entire journey. There is also a WiFi connection made available for the entertainment of passengers.

upgrade your seat

from united states

Comments about Etihad Airways:

I have heard horror stories from coworkers who have flown on Etihad AIrways and have not taken measures to upgrade their seats or move to an open row in economy. Due to the lack of popularity in the Etihad Airways brand, there are generally a few open seats scattered throughout the aircraft.

In-Flight Accommodations
The upgrade to business class is well worth the price with the increase of the in-flight accommodations available to those passengers seated in those seats on the aircraft. As I had an eight our overnight flight, that upgrade allowed me to have a flatbed seat and sleep for the majority of my flight. Unfortunately, due to the length of my time sleeping, I missed the meal that was offered during our flight. I woke up shortly before landing, therefore did not inquire whether I could obtain something to snack on. The beverages that were available on the beverage cart were part of your standard selection. I was able to have a glass of wine before falling asleep and was pleased by the options available.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

Unethical and slow ground staff.

Comments about Etihad Airways:

A unevitable experience which can happen to anyone when you are traveling with Etihad Airways. Bad part is it is at no mistake of passanger. This airlies promisses about good service but when situation comes, ground staff is horrible. Seems they are having disconnect between projecting their image and people executing them at the airpot/fligth.

Below is the situation:
1) I was traveling from Mumbai to New York via Abu Dhabi. My Mumbai to Abu Dhabi flight could not land at Abu dhabi on Mar 16th due to Fog. Totally understable that for safety reasons they landed flight in Muskat but the problem starts here. Flight attendants did not inform us before landing in Muskat what we will be doing in Muskat and how long we will be waiting there. Most of the passangers (including me) had connecting flight which we feared missing. We waited for 1.5 hour in plane then we were deboarded in Muskat. When we got down we were not kept informed what will heppen with our connecting flights. Lunch provided with 50 minutes wait in line. We were flown back to Abu dhabi after 3 hours. When i landed at Abu Dhabi with all the anxity i realized that I missed my New York flight.
2) I was told that I would be helped at airport with all the question/arrangements for next fligth. But what i saw is ground staff is working at very slow pace and handeling each customer care in 15 to 20 minutes. All the passangers were shouting and frusterated as staff was very unorganized and very casual with the sutuation.I had to waited in line for 5 long hours to get boarding pass for my flgith after 18 hours (not to forget it was after noon and I was awake all night).
3) I did not complain much but requested for hotel accomodation to crash and just sleep. No hotel accommodation provided as Abu Dhabi has only 30 to 50 rooms and all were booked. No phone card was provided .
4) I slept on sofa in Launge and some how spent 18 hours. I reached on time but next day again again same story flight got delayed by 3 hours. I feared that my luggage wolld have not been transferred to the flight to New York. I talked to Etihad employees and I was told that my luggage is moved to the plane i was boarding.
5) I reached JFK on Mar 16th just to realize that my luggage was never moved to my New York flight. I was so angry that Etihad Airways gave me false information.
6) I got my luggage after 44 hours from when i landed. On customer service recommendation I sent email to baggageclaims@etihad.ae to get my luggage. I claimed for compensation for not getting my luggage on time but I got a reply from customer service that I will not get compensated because New York was my country of residence and they don’t pay copensation. Seems they make their own set of rules and apply them for their own benefit.

E-ticket number is ETKT 607 2108953178

Service
Ground staff is not at all efficient to get work down in case of flight delays.

Good but pricey

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about Etihad Airways:

I travelled from cok(india)-auh-ord(chicago) on 28th april 2011.

Positive-

1.Seats are comfy

2. travel time( travelling from cok to minneapolis - Stopover of 2.5 hrs in AUH& 4 hrs in ORD)

Negatives-

1.Staff was not friendly

2.food was not good (On 15 hr flight from AUH to ORD they served 2 meals, packet popcorn, one frozen sandwitch and an icecream bar. They bring orange juice or water on a serving tray twice. No other options.

3.Pricey tickets( I paid 1800$)

4. Entertainment system was good.( but nothing compared to Emirates)