1.4

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

You get what you pay for.

I've rented from Dollar Rent a Car many times, mainly because they are WAY cheaper than other rental agencies.  I suppose it is true that you get what you pay for...and you need to be on your game when dealing with the agents sometimes.

There is no rhyme or reason to the car you're going to get.  It's a crapshoot, so don't go in there with your heart set on a particular car, because you probably won't get it.

After several uneventful rentals with Dollar, I recently rented a mid-sized vehicle for a long weekend trip to Tennessee.  The reservation indicated a "Chrysler Sebring or similar".  When I got there, I asked if they had any Hyundai Sonatas available.  I had received one when renting from Dollar the year before and drove it from Cincinnati to Houston, TX and it was a DREAM.  They didn't. :-(  They said that the ONLY car they had for me with either a PT Cruiser (hate them) or a Subaru something-or-other.  I wasn't jazzed about either.  I asked about other cars they had listed at the counter, in this same class, and was told that they were out of all of them.  I seriously doubted that, because the last time I rented from Dollar at the Cincinnati airport, a gal checked me out...and when I asked about a Sonata then, she told me that they didn't have any.  She tried her hardest to have me upgrade, telling me that the only vehicle in the class I had reserved was a Kia Optima that "didn't have cruise control or a CD player."  Since I wasn't about to spend an additional $150 for the week to rent a car, I decided to suck it up and take the "stripped down" Optima.

As I was walking out to get my car, I passed probably 4-5 Sonatas on the lot...just sitting there waiting for a renter.  Huh?  Well guess what...turns out that the Optima was a very nice car - much like the Sonata and it DID have both a CD player AND cruise control.  She lied to my face to try and get me to upgrade!!!!!

But I digress...back to the story.....

Finally the agent walked the lot with me to pick out a car.  There were lots of Chargers, but I don't care for those, and they were more anyway.  He tried to talk me into a Chrysler 300 for "only a little more" per day (which turned out to be almost $30 more!).  I said no thanks.  Finally I spied a Dodge Avenger tucked in the lot and he said that that did qualify as a mid-sized car.  Fine.

The car had obviously been smoked in - and you could tell as soon as you opened the door.  It was so bad the smell got into my clothes.  I had to go out and buy three different air fresheners, plus put dryer sheets under the seats just to get the smell out.

Aside from the smell, when I was on my way home, a yellow light on the dash came on.  I didn't know what it was and once I got home, I dug the manual out of the glove box and discovered that it was the "low tire pressure" light.  I certainly didn't want to drive 5 hours on low tires, so I had to BUY a tire gauge and check/fill the tires (one was dangerously low).  After that was done, I was greeted the next morning with a chime and flashing message on the dash that read "Change Oil Soon!".  Great.  Well, I certainly wasn't going to oil change a rental...that would just have to wait.

I also noticed that this car (while sporty and fun to drive) was rather abused for being less than a year old.  Both sides of the rear bumper was scratched - and even had a small hole in the drivers side bumper.  There was a perfect square scratched into the drivers side door, a dent just over the passenger side door, as if someone had pounded it with the heel of their hand, and the interior had cigarette ash remnants stuck in the crevices around the gear shift.  There were also marks on the headliner, especially around the visor - as if someone was eating Cheetos and then reached up to flip the visor down.  On top of it all, the car had OVER 43,000 miles on it.  That's a year old car folks!  Too bad, because I'm sure at one time it was a nice little car.

Throughout the trip (we drove through the mountains), the transmission felt like it was slipping - you could feel it jerk hard when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear and the incessant "change oil" warning came on every time you started the car.  Other than that, the car was fun to drive.  When I took the car back, I told the agent about the change oil warning light, and he was quick to say "Oh that's OK, our maintenance is on a different schedule than the cars".  Yeah...obviously!

Dollar has never pressured me to buy the insurance and always got me in and out pretty quick.  At the Cincinnati airport, you just drop the car off and take the keys inside - nobody is ever out there to receive the car.  At the Ft. Myers Airport, you don't have to go inside at all.  You drop the car off in the garage, someone comes out to get the keys, checks the fuel, mileage and sends you on your way.

I'll continue to use Dollar because I just need a cheap rental car - not a showstopper.

Oh the state of customer service in America; What gives?

***Bottom-Line***: For the price, I would reluctantly do business with **Dollar** again; I am unwilling to let just one experience sour me to the entire company.  Read complete review

I traveled back east a few months ago and chose **Dollar Rent-a-Car **to rent my car from because it fit my rather tight criteria.** ** However, my experience with **Dollar Rent-a-Car** was a mixed bag.  On one hand the car I eventually rented for two days was what I wanted: a clear, powerful, but reasonably fuel efficient car that was fun the drive.  But getting the car I wanted took some doing.

When I reserved my (full-sized) car on *Expedia.com* detailing that I wanted to rent a *Dodge Charger or Magnum*.  The rental car garages at Baltimore Washington International/Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) are a fair distance from the terminals and so a shuttle was in order.

There were very few people in line at the **Dollar** counter when we arrived so I was waited on fairly quickly; so far so good.  My sales person was a disaster; half the time I could not understand what he was saying because he was mumbling softly to himself, so I had to ask and re-ask key question several times.  And he didn't explain the in and outs of the very lengthy rental contract very well at all; it's a good thing I have a lot of experience renting cars or I would have been completely lost vis-à-vis my options and added-on costs.

Once the paperwork was all complete, I asked about the car I would receive and I was told I would be driving a *Ford Taurus (the rebadged Ford 500)*.  Of course I stood in stunned silence for a spell, and then asked the question again and received the same answer, at which point I explained that I was guaranteed at the time of the reservation that I would be able to rend either a *Dodge* *Magnum or Charger.*  At this point the little salesman became rude and tersely explained that the only full sized car they had at this location was a *Ford Taurus*.

Stuck-after all last minute car rentals are a royal pain-I accepted the paperwork and went out to get my car.  Once at the checkout booth I was handed the keys to a very large, geriatric-set, fuel-guzzling *Mercury Marquis.*  What, no *Ford Taurus*?  I refused to drive it; even my daughter didn't want to be seen in it.  So I went back to the **Dollar** booth and demanded what I had reserved; a full sized car in the mold of a *Dodge* *Magnum or Charger,* several of which were on the lot.  I got my Dodge Magnum, but not after some reluctance from the booth buddy why tried to put me in a *Chrysler 300* for just a wee bit more cash.

**My Viewpoint       **

All and all, my experience with Dollar Rent-a-Car was about what I expected it to be: short on customer service, laden with money traps (add-ons like insurance and upgrades), but necessary to my trip.  The car was clean and well maintained and checking in the car was not nearly as dramatic as checking it out.

For the price, I would reluctantly do business with **Dollar** again; I am unwilling to let just one experience sour me to the entire company.  I am willing to let them try again, but no doubt they will fall on their collective swords again.

DON'T USE THEM!!

from San Diego

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

We rented from Orlando in May 2018. The rate was good. We were told that we needed the SunPass because there are some tolls that cannot be paid with cash or credit - THIS IS NOT TRUE!!! Due to this dishonesty will NOT USE THEM AGAIN, if they lie about that, what else??? DON'T USE AT ALL, BUT IF YOU DO - DONT GET THE SUNPASS...get yourself some small bills and change for tolls.

Do NOT use them!!

from Cincinnati, OH

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

I rented a car on 4/10 from the Orlando airport to rush to family member's bedside to say goodbye. I was in a state of distress and got the car and drove 2 hours to the hospital with my 3 kids as soon as I could. I dropped the car off on 4/12 and did not refill the tank because I had got the refueling option. After checking my credit card, they charged me $9.99/gallon for a total of $156.59 for a refueling charge. I called to ask for the fee to be reversed and the lady on the phone, basically told me that I told the personal at the counter that I did NOT want the refueling option. She refused to reverse the charge, because it was stated clearing on the first page of the contract. I explained that if I thought I did not have the refueling option, why would I drop the car off without filling it up. She kept saying " I apologize, but you signed the contract where it is "clearly" stated. I will NEVER use Dollar to rent a car again!!

Wrong Vehicle, Not full tank of Gas and Trash in vehicle

from Dallas Love Field

Dollar Rental Car Review – Feb2018-02-19

We reserved a small card at Dollar, located at Dallas Love Field for Feb 16 to Feb 18.

After flight delays and arriving late to Dallas, we finally jumped on the bus to Dollar Rent a Car. We were anxious to get the car and get to the hotel, since it was about 11:30 to 12:00 at night.

Upon getting to the desk and telling the man behind the counter our name, reservation and confirmation number, we were told that they did not have a car for us. The only vehicle they had was a truck. We were not too pleased with this, since I knew we would be doing a lot of driving back and forth. Obviously, gas mileage would be 1/3 of what the car would be. Looking back at the line, I thought to myself that at least I would have a vehicle. We grudgingly accepted the truck.

As we were exiting the building, it appeared that there were 2 trucks available. The parking lot was empty. There were about a dozen people behind us that would not be happy. I felt ambivalent that I at least got a vehicle, if not the small car we had reserved.

Well, we get into the truck and to my surprise, the gas tank is half full! As anyone who rents a car knows, the salesperson tells you to refill the tank or pay an exorbitant fee to fill the tank. However, as the next customer, I expect that the vehicle would contain a full tank of gas. I told the attendant as I was leaving that I did not have a full tank and he marked it on the paperwork. It is now 12:00 to 12:30 in the morning, and obviously dark.

Later the next day, we open the back doors. We find trash in the back seat and an empty Gatorade bottle in the truck bed. Was this vehicle even cleaned for the next customer?

We do our thing and are ready to return the vehicle. I stop to add gas with the intention to fill the tank to the 3/8 to ½ tank to match what was given to me. Unfortunately, I was unable to match it after turning off and on the vehicle to allow the gas gauge

NEVER AGAIN ! I learned my lesson!

from BWI Baltimore

My quote for 3 days was $203
The bill at check out was $368
Wow, thought I would try another car rental company, I am going back to Alamo

Problems in Indy

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

This is a part of the letter I sent to Corporate
To Whom It May Concern:
I secured my ticket to arrive in Indianapolis and also made reservations to pick up a car at the Indianapolis Airport at the Dollar counter. I used Orbiz to find the best deal, with a good rating, that I could find:
$12 per day
At the counter the clerk asked for my information. I gave him:
My driver's license
My State Farm insurance card
My flight itinerary
My Visa debit card
He said he had every thing he needed and confirmed that he had my reservation.
The trouble began when he tried to run my card. There wasn't a chip reader on the customer keypad and it wouldn't take my card's stripe. I knew the card was good and over the next few days the card was used several times by swiping without incident, but he could not make the card read with his program. Since there was no chip reader:
I suggested he key in the numbers—he would be fired for that.
I suggested I call someone to use his/her card and I could transfer funds to them—he needed the card in hand.
I suggested I pay cash—he wasn't allowed to take cash.
I suggested a manager—he called one over.
The woman never addressed me directly until she said there was nothing she could do. Rather, she tried pulling the card through the slot again several times and had the clerk do it, also. By now, a spot had been worn on the back on my card in the middle of the silver stripe.
The manager walked away.
The clerk suggested I take my confirmation information to Avis to see if they might honor the deal.
I went to the Avis counter. The clerk found what he said to be his best deal; a compact car for $198. My deal was for under $60 . My AARP card brought the price down to $164.20. Having no other recourse, I paid him, with the card Dollar had been unable to use.
This was not only more than $100 than budgeted; this was also more than one tenth of my monthly income that was unbudgeted. Not a good thing for a retired teacher.

Run away from Dollar Car Rental!

from DFW Airpor

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

I went on the Dollar website and booked my vehicle several weeks in advance. The internet booking went well and I thought this may just be my company's new car rental partner because of the pricing and the website experience...but when I arrived at the Dallas Ft Worth airport it turned into the worst experience I have ever had. The behavior of the staff at the Dollar rental desk, including the manager, was that of bullies in middle school. It was immature and degrading. One young lady couldn't work her computer (not sure why) so after 5 or 6 minutes, I was passed to an older woman who could not answer or did not want to answer my questions about why things were not the same as what I had already paid online. On the 3rd question, which was after they ran a credit check without my permission, she turned made a face and went to the managers office. The other young lady at the desk followed her into the office but did not close the door. I heard part of a rude comment then they were all laughing. So I walked back so I could see in the office and as soon as the manager saw me she said "there he is" they all stopped laughing and the manager grabbed a framed document off of the counter and put it in my face, saying "this was their rules and if I didn't like it I could go rent a car from some where else and that the website was run by a third party and they had no affiliation with them". So not only was it the worst customer service ever, they ran my credit without my permission, charged me more money even after I had paid online for the car, they also put a hold on my business checking account for unknown amount. When I asked how much they snapped back and said they didn't know how much the hold was for. They didn't know about the website, they didn't know about holds being put on my checking account and they surely know absolutely nothing about how to treat a fellow human being, much less customer service! I am not someone who does reviews online but I will ma

Never again

from St. Louis, MO

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

NEVER. I will NEVER make the mistake again of renting from Dollar - They tried to upgrade me left and right...when I just wanted the car that I reserved online. When they couldn't get any additional money out of me through upgrades, they accused me of damaging the car when I returned it. In good faith, I did not have someone walk around the car with me upon return. I'll never make that mistake again! I received a letter and phone call from a collection agency one month later trying to collect more money from me for damage that I DID NOT cause! Don't be fooled by the low prices online, DOLLAR will even resort to dishonesty to get more money out of you! I'll never rent from them again, and will make sure that no friend or family member of mine ever will either!!!!!!

VERY BAD

from Atlanta, GA

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

I traveled to Los Angeles this past September, I went to the Dollar rental off the airport and was clear with clerck that I DO NOT want to buy insurance on the rental car; he asked me for a copy of my insurance and I provided.
I am now tracking my expenses and I am noticing that they charged me for insurance at 17.00 per day, my total bill is 304.00. I called customer services, very difficult to get to speak with someone and the third person I spoke with checked my reservation and told me that money cannot be refunded and if I want I need to dispute the charges with contract on hand. I decided not going through this tedious process, I don't think a customer should spend more time than necessary when making business, but I also decided to write this review. Hoping that others are aware and check before signing anything or do business with this rental company.

Beware of foreign transaction fees to credit card

from Tallahassee, FL

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

Rented a car using the pay now option, pickup in Cincinnati . A little over half charged to my credit card at that time and I was given the amount to pay at pickup. First off received my credit card statement and was charged a foreign transaction fee because Dollar evidently used a third party biller from IRELAND. Called to ask why and agent said it's in our terms but couldn't tell me where and refused to connect me to a supervisor. Their website lists a US address. While not a lot of money it's the principle. Secondly, I've got 2 pending charges of different amounts rather than the one amount I was expecting for the balance. Will wait to see what happens there, but beware....

They STOLE my money

from Temple Hills, Maryland

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

This was THEE WORST car rental experience EVER!(insert mad face here). I went online to reserve a car at dollar car rental and was unknowingly redirected to a third party. I attempted to reserve the vehicle but was only able to with payment. I made the payment of 200+ dollars for a 2 week rental and thought everything was all good. well...I THOUGHT WRONG!! I went to pick up the car and they asked me to present my credit card and because it was a MasterCard, they wanted to hold $350 on top of the cost of the car. I could not rent the car and asked for a refund. The lady at the counter told me that she could not give me a refund and to call the third party. I called them and they said because I failed to present a credit card(which I did present a card) they could not give me a refund. Ok I understand that I made a last min cancellation, but to TAKE all 200+ dollars is just plain NOT RIGHT. This company is a scam.