1.4

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

You get what you pay for.

I've rented from Dollar Rent a Car many times, mainly because they are WAY cheaper than other rental agencies.  I suppose it is true that you get what you pay for...and you need to be on your game when dealing with the agents sometimes.

There is no rhyme or reason to the car you're going to get.  It's a crapshoot, so don't go in there with your heart set on a particular car, because you probably won't get it.

After several uneventful rentals with Dollar, I recently rented a mid-sized vehicle for a long weekend trip to Tennessee.  The reservation indicated a "Chrysler Sebring or similar".  When I got there, I asked if they had any Hyundai Sonatas available.  I had received one when renting from Dollar the year before and drove it from Cincinnati to Houston, TX and it was a DREAM.  They didn't. :-(  They said that the ONLY car they had for me with either a PT Cruiser (hate them) or a Subaru something-or-other.  I wasn't jazzed about either.  I asked about other cars they had listed at the counter, in this same class, and was told that they were out of all of them.  I seriously doubted that, because the last time I rented from Dollar at the Cincinnati airport, a gal checked me out...and when I asked about a Sonata then, she told me that they didn't have any.  She tried her hardest to have me upgrade, telling me that the only vehicle in the class I had reserved was a Kia Optima that "didn't have cruise control or a CD player."  Since I wasn't about to spend an additional $150 for the week to rent a car, I decided to suck it up and take the "stripped down" Optima.

As I was walking out to get my car, I passed probably 4-5 Sonatas on the lot...just sitting there waiting for a renter.  Huh?  Well guess what...turns out that the Optima was a very nice car - much like the Sonata and it DID have both a CD player AND cruise control.  She lied to my face to try and get me to upgrade!!!!!

But I digress...back to the story.....

Finally the agent walked the lot with me to pick out a car.  There were lots of Chargers, but I don't care for those, and they were more anyway.  He tried to talk me into a Chrysler 300 for "only a little more" per day (which turned out to be almost $30 more!).  I said no thanks.  Finally I spied a Dodge Avenger tucked in the lot and he said that that did qualify as a mid-sized car.  Fine.

The car had obviously been smoked in - and you could tell as soon as you opened the door.  It was so bad the smell got into my clothes.  I had to go out and buy three different air fresheners, plus put dryer sheets under the seats just to get the smell out.

Aside from the smell, when I was on my way home, a yellow light on the dash came on.  I didn't know what it was and once I got home, I dug the manual out of the glove box and discovered that it was the "low tire pressure" light.  I certainly didn't want to drive 5 hours on low tires, so I had to BUY a tire gauge and check/fill the tires (one was dangerously low).  After that was done, I was greeted the next morning with a chime and flashing message on the dash that read "Change Oil Soon!".  Great.  Well, I certainly wasn't going to oil change a rental...that would just have to wait.

I also noticed that this car (while sporty and fun to drive) was rather abused for being less than a year old.  Both sides of the rear bumper was scratched - and even had a small hole in the drivers side bumper.  There was a perfect square scratched into the drivers side door, a dent just over the passenger side door, as if someone had pounded it with the heel of their hand, and the interior had cigarette ash remnants stuck in the crevices around the gear shift.  There were also marks on the headliner, especially around the visor - as if someone was eating Cheetos and then reached up to flip the visor down.  On top of it all, the car had OVER 43,000 miles on it.  That's a year old car folks!  Too bad, because I'm sure at one time it was a nice little car.

Throughout the trip (we drove through the mountains), the transmission felt like it was slipping - you could feel it jerk hard when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear and the incessant "change oil" warning came on every time you started the car.  Other than that, the car was fun to drive.  When I took the car back, I told the agent about the change oil warning light, and he was quick to say "Oh that's OK, our maintenance is on a different schedule than the cars".  Yeah...obviously!

Dollar has never pressured me to buy the insurance and always got me in and out pretty quick.  At the Cincinnati airport, you just drop the car off and take the keys inside - nobody is ever out there to receive the car.  At the Ft. Myers Airport, you don't have to go inside at all.  You drop the car off in the garage, someone comes out to get the keys, checks the fuel, mileage and sends you on your way.

I'll continue to use Dollar because I just need a cheap rental car - not a showstopper.

Oh the state of customer service in America; What gives?

***Bottom-Line***: For the price, I would reluctantly do business with **Dollar** again; I am unwilling to let just one experience sour me to the entire company.  Read complete review

I traveled back east a few months ago and chose **Dollar Rent-a-Car **to rent my car from because it fit my rather tight criteria.** ** However, my experience with **Dollar Rent-a-Car** was a mixed bag.  On one hand the car I eventually rented for two days was what I wanted: a clear, powerful, but reasonably fuel efficient car that was fun the drive.  But getting the car I wanted took some doing.

When I reserved my (full-sized) car on *Expedia.com* detailing that I wanted to rent a *Dodge Charger or Magnum*.  The rental car garages at Baltimore Washington International/Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) are a fair distance from the terminals and so a shuttle was in order.

There were very few people in line at the **Dollar** counter when we arrived so I was waited on fairly quickly; so far so good.  My sales person was a disaster; half the time I could not understand what he was saying because he was mumbling softly to himself, so I had to ask and re-ask key question several times.  And he didn't explain the in and outs of the very lengthy rental contract very well at all; it's a good thing I have a lot of experience renting cars or I would have been completely lost vis-à-vis my options and added-on costs.

Once the paperwork was all complete, I asked about the car I would receive and I was told I would be driving a *Ford Taurus (the rebadged Ford 500)*.  Of course I stood in stunned silence for a spell, and then asked the question again and received the same answer, at which point I explained that I was guaranteed at the time of the reservation that I would be able to rend either a *Dodge* *Magnum or Charger.*  At this point the little salesman became rude and tersely explained that the only full sized car they had at this location was a *Ford Taurus*.

Stuck-after all last minute car rentals are a royal pain-I accepted the paperwork and went out to get my car.  Once at the checkout booth I was handed the keys to a very large, geriatric-set, fuel-guzzling *Mercury Marquis.*  What, no *Ford Taurus*?  I refused to drive it; even my daughter didn't want to be seen in it.  So I went back to the **Dollar** booth and demanded what I had reserved; a full sized car in the mold of a *Dodge* *Magnum or Charger,* several of which were on the lot.  I got my Dodge Magnum, but not after some reluctance from the booth buddy why tried to put me in a *Chrysler 300* for just a wee bit more cash.

**My Viewpoint       **

All and all, my experience with Dollar Rent-a-Car was about what I expected it to be: short on customer service, laden with money traps (add-ons like insurance and upgrades), but necessary to my trip.  The car was clean and well maintained and checking in the car was not nearly as dramatic as checking it out.

For the price, I would reluctantly do business with **Dollar** again; I am unwilling to let just one experience sour me to the entire company.  I am willing to let them try again, but no doubt they will fall on their collective swords again.

Scam

from Charlotte, NC

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

The female that rented out our car scammed us hard. When discussing the additional options, she lied about the gas prices in an area we are unfamiliar with to get us to purchase the extra gas option. Along with this, she "pushed" us into getting the insurance option by claiming that she "has only ever seen one person not get it." The total was originally less than 600$, but ended up being well over 800$. Do not use this company, for they cannot be trusted. With all of the small additional charges, you will NOT save money using this company.

Garbage Customer Service

from Greenville, SC

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

I rented a car in Dallas Fort Worth Airport. It was a prepaid full size car from the company I was attending the conference for. I went up to receive my car and told the counter guy that I needed something with some room. He pointed me to a 8 seat Chevrolet Suburban and told me I could use that. He didn't mention one word about an upgrade fee of $200 a day. That's coming though. He said he needed to swipe my personal credit card for incidentals. 4 days later, I had a receipt on my personal credit card for $951 for upgrading on top of the 4 day full size car prepaid purchase. I disputed the claim immediately because I said the guy never told me I would be getting charged for an upgrade. Keep in mind, this is my first rental purchase so i don't know what's going on. The guy behind the counter was helpful and nice. He went to get someone else to help and that guy said I should have read the whole contract I signed. 12 hours flight and airport time, I'm exhausted and assumed I'm signing the pre paid price. No one ever mentioned upgrade fees!!! He basically said the whole thing was my fault. If I'm working there, I would probably tell someone that there would be a $200 a day upgrade fee and not just ask for a signature and hand me keys. And also told me point blank he was swiping my credit card strictly for incidentals. You are going to lose the business of this million dollar business I came from. Thanks for nothing. $951 for an upgrade I didn't have a clue about. Just picking up a car for the company that night that was prepaid. Don't put me in something out of the prepaid price without verbally telling me what I was doing!!!

So Unprofessional -absolutely no pride in their comany

from St. Augustine, FL

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

As professional who rents cars frequently, this was the worst experience I have ever had. Thank God, It was personnel time and I didn't have professional obligations.

First, I booked a mid-size or standard vehicle at the Atlanta Airport at 930 a.m. and only a few cars were available and these cars were saturated with cigarette smoke (I made sure I told the attendant- instead of upgrading due to few cars basically said there was nothing she could do and notated it on the rental agreement); Second, the car broke down and the lady from "Road Side Assistance" did not offer to bring another vehicle just asked for "Jump" service or "car pick up," which I decided their service was so unprofessional thus far they could pick up the car; third, the tow truck driver came for the vehicle, did not come to the door for the keys, the lady from RSA called and we went to bring the keys down immediately and he was gone with the car...and then my sister-in-law was kind enough to take the keys back and the counter people had no time to take them back and told her to mail them and last but not least the pièce de ré-sis-tance, they place almost $500.00 in charges on my credit card.... to which the lady I spoke with today reported to me that she has to email a supervisor, I could not speak to one and that she has to wait until they get back to me... very professional. Needless to say, I am disputing those charges and that will be my last dealing with this company and from the looks of the reviews this is not an uncommon practice. This is a cooperation that has no shame or pride in their company.

Will not rent from Dollar again.

from Denver, CO.

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

The car stunk. I called and complained and was not offered to switch cars, not even a I am sorry. As others have said they maybe the cheapest, but their fees extra driver , tolls , etc. are higher than everyone else.

Never Again

from Fort Lauderdale

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

In spite of the hype, Dollar is not cheaper than the others because of the hidden charges. For e.g in Florida they add 10$ per day for the SunPass. Alamo adds way less (max of $20) and then only if you use it.
They are not helpful at all and are even rude. My problem: I had made the reservation but it was my husband who would be the driver. At first they gave us a car (dented) but as we drove out, we were told that He couldn't drive. We went back in to fix the paperwork, but were told that it would cost $14 per day extra (!). At Alamo a change like that is free, so I dont understand why it was such a problem for Dollar - except of course that they want to stick it to the customer.
I got in touch with Rentalcar.com with which I had made the reservation and they were great. At first they wanted to send an email to Dollar, changing the driver issue. But Dollar refused to accept the email... What?!!!! The Manager refused to come out of her office to handle it. Finally Rentalcar.com cancelled the Dollar contract, reimbursed me, re-reserved with Alamo, actually for a cheaper price. So all ended well. Our treatment at Alamo was top notch, we even upgraded the car.
Bottom line Dollar - A nightmare, badly organised, employees not empowered, half truths and in the end more expensive. Such a tricky outfit. Hard to understand how they stay in business. Stay way!
Rentalcar.com, super treatment
Alamo - excellent, helpful and my now-and-future rental company.

Company holds no responibility for its franchisees

from St. Louis, MO

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

My friend and I had a reservation for Jan 4 through January 11 at the St. Louis Lambert International Airport location. When I arrived I was asked for my driver's insurance card. I told the woman that I purchased the insurance for the car with the reservation and was told that that didn't matter. That I needed to have my own insurance. Since neither my friend nor I have a car, we don't carry automobile insurance. Was told there was nothing that could be done and refused service. I filled out a complaint on the companies website Monday night. Six days later still hadn't heard back, so went to through Dollars social media sites. I did get a response and was told by Dollar that the airport location was a licensee and they can follow their own policies. I find it unacceptable to have purchased insurance and then to be refused service because I didn't have my own insurance. Why do you offer insurance if it isn't any good?

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

San Diego-dollar rental car

from San Diego

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

Not a good place to rent a car. Everywhere I look very low ratings.

Worst car I have ever rented A Kia Rio

from San Juan PR

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

Kia Rio was the most uncomfortable car I have ever been in . Shame on them for even renting them for such an outrageous price!

Dollar Rent A Car - Incompetence

from Downey, CA

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

My wife and I flew from CA to the Midwest where we had reserved a Dollar Rent A Car.
The following is our experience with Dollar Rent A Car.
1) Misrepresentation: After we had purchased our Dollar Rent A Car online, the company added a hidden fee which significantly increased the final cost of the rent a car.
2) They lost our online reservation. When we arrived at the Dollar Rent A Car airport location, we learned that they had no accounting of our online reservation. We showed the representative our paperwork from our online reservation but they still could not supply us with a car. We spent the next 1 hour and 15 minutes waiting as they searched the computer and made phone calls to try to resolve their problem.
3) Since they could not find our reservation they charged us an extra $100.00 which they said they would return when we returned car.
4) No spare tire in the car. When we finally walked to the Dollar Rent A Car airport parking lot, we discovered that the car had no spare tire. (On a previous occasion I was delayed when the car I had rented had a flat tire during our travels). When then walked back to the Budget Rent A Car desk. The response from the representative was, "Most of our cars have no spare tire." They told me if I have a flat tire to call their roadside assistance phone number for help.
5) Because of these many problems I missed my first appointment.

Budget Rent A Car is an obvious loser. We of course will never do business with this company again.

Incompetance of Budget Rent A Car

from Downey, CA

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

The following is our experience with Dollar Rent A Car.
5) Because of these many problems I missed my first appointment.