1.4

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

You get what you pay for.

I've rented from Dollar Rent a Car many times, mainly because they are WAY cheaper than other rental agencies.  I suppose it is true that you get what you pay for...and you need to be on your game when dealing with the agents sometimes.

There is no rhyme or reason to the car you're going to get.  It's a crapshoot, so don't go in there with your heart set on a particular car, because you probably won't get it.

After several uneventful rentals with Dollar, I recently rented a mid-sized vehicle for a long weekend trip to Tennessee.  The reservation indicated a "Chrysler Sebring or similar".  When I got there, I asked if they had any Hyundai Sonatas available.  I had received one when renting from Dollar the year before and drove it from Cincinnati to Houston, TX and it was a DREAM.  They didn't. :-(  They said that the ONLY car they had for me with either a PT Cruiser (hate them) or a Subaru something-or-other.  I wasn't jazzed about either.  I asked about other cars they had listed at the counter, in this same class, and was told that they were out of all of them.  I seriously doubted that, because the last time I rented from Dollar at the Cincinnati airport, a gal checked me out...and when I asked about a Sonata then, she told me that they didn't have any.  She tried her hardest to have me upgrade, telling me that the only vehicle in the class I had reserved was a Kia Optima that "didn't have cruise control or a CD player."  Since I wasn't about to spend an additional $150 for the week to rent a car, I decided to suck it up and take the "stripped down" Optima.

As I was walking out to get my car, I passed probably 4-5 Sonatas on the lot...just sitting there waiting for a renter.  Huh?  Well guess what...turns out that the Optima was a very nice car - much like the Sonata and it DID have both a CD player AND cruise control.  She lied to my face to try and get me to upgrade!!!!!

But I digress...back to the story.....

Finally the agent walked the lot with me to pick out a car.  There were lots of Chargers, but I don't care for those, and they were more anyway.  He tried to talk me into a Chrysler 300 for "only a little more" per day (which turned out to be almost $30 more!).  I said no thanks.  Finally I spied a Dodge Avenger tucked in the lot and he said that that did qualify as a mid-sized car.  Fine.

The car had obviously been smoked in - and you could tell as soon as you opened the door.  It was so bad the smell got into my clothes.  I had to go out and buy three different air fresheners, plus put dryer sheets under the seats just to get the smell out.

Aside from the smell, when I was on my way home, a yellow light on the dash came on.  I didn't know what it was and once I got home, I dug the manual out of the glove box and discovered that it was the "low tire pressure" light.  I certainly didn't want to drive 5 hours on low tires, so I had to BUY a tire gauge and check/fill the tires (one was dangerously low).  After that was done, I was greeted the next morning with a chime and flashing message on the dash that read "Change Oil Soon!".  Great.  Well, I certainly wasn't going to oil change a rental...that would just have to wait.

I also noticed that this car (while sporty and fun to drive) was rather abused for being less than a year old.  Both sides of the rear bumper was scratched - and even had a small hole in the drivers side bumper.  There was a perfect square scratched into the drivers side door, a dent just over the passenger side door, as if someone had pounded it with the heel of their hand, and the interior had cigarette ash remnants stuck in the crevices around the gear shift.  There were also marks on the headliner, especially around the visor - as if someone was eating Cheetos and then reached up to flip the visor down.  On top of it all, the car had OVER 43,000 miles on it.  That's a year old car folks!  Too bad, because I'm sure at one time it was a nice little car.

Throughout the trip (we drove through the mountains), the transmission felt like it was slipping - you could feel it jerk hard when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear and the incessant "change oil" warning came on every time you started the car.  Other than that, the car was fun to drive.  When I took the car back, I told the agent about the change oil warning light, and he was quick to say "Oh that's OK, our maintenance is on a different schedule than the cars".  Yeah...obviously!

Dollar has never pressured me to buy the insurance and always got me in and out pretty quick.  At the Cincinnati airport, you just drop the car off and take the keys inside - nobody is ever out there to receive the car.  At the Ft. Myers Airport, you don't have to go inside at all.  You drop the car off in the garage, someone comes out to get the keys, checks the fuel, mileage and sends you on your way.

I'll continue to use Dollar because I just need a cheap rental car - not a showstopper.

Oh the state of customer service in America; What gives?

***Bottom-Line***: For the price, I would reluctantly do business with **Dollar** again; I am unwilling to let just one experience sour me to the entire company.  Read complete review

I traveled back east a few months ago and chose **Dollar Rent-a-Car **to rent my car from because it fit my rather tight criteria.** ** However, my experience with **Dollar Rent-a-Car** was a mixed bag.  On one hand the car I eventually rented for two days was what I wanted: a clear, powerful, but reasonably fuel efficient car that was fun the drive.  But getting the car I wanted took some doing.

When I reserved my (full-sized) car on *Expedia.com* detailing that I wanted to rent a *Dodge Charger or Magnum*.  The rental car garages at Baltimore Washington International/Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) are a fair distance from the terminals and so a shuttle was in order.

There were very few people in line at the **Dollar** counter when we arrived so I was waited on fairly quickly; so far so good.  My sales person was a disaster; half the time I could not understand what he was saying because he was mumbling softly to himself, so I had to ask and re-ask key question several times.  And he didn't explain the in and outs of the very lengthy rental contract very well at all; it's a good thing I have a lot of experience renting cars or I would have been completely lost vis-à-vis my options and added-on costs.

Once the paperwork was all complete, I asked about the car I would receive and I was told I would be driving a *Ford Taurus (the rebadged Ford 500)*.  Of course I stood in stunned silence for a spell, and then asked the question again and received the same answer, at which point I explained that I was guaranteed at the time of the reservation that I would be able to rend either a *Dodge* *Magnum or Charger.*  At this point the little salesman became rude and tersely explained that the only full sized car they had at this location was a *Ford Taurus*.

Stuck-after all last minute car rentals are a royal pain-I accepted the paperwork and went out to get my car.  Once at the checkout booth I was handed the keys to a very large, geriatric-set, fuel-guzzling *Mercury Marquis.*  What, no *Ford Taurus*?  I refused to drive it; even my daughter didn't want to be seen in it.  So I went back to the **Dollar** booth and demanded what I had reserved; a full sized car in the mold of a *Dodge* *Magnum or Charger,* several of which were on the lot.  I got my Dodge Magnum, but not after some reluctance from the booth buddy why tried to put me in a *Chrysler 300* for just a wee bit more cash.

**My Viewpoint       **

All and all, my experience with Dollar Rent-a-Car was about what I expected it to be: short on customer service, laden with money traps (add-ons like insurance and upgrades), but necessary to my trip.  The car was clean and well maintained and checking in the car was not nearly as dramatic as checking it out.

For the price, I would reluctantly do business with **Dollar** again; I am unwilling to let just one experience sour me to the entire company.  I am willing to let them try again, but no doubt they will fall on their collective swords again.

Save Money-NOT

from Florida

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

Prepaid for a rental, 3 months early. It was a Dollar ad, which gets routed to a third party, i suppose so Dollar can claim you got it from a web crawler, and not innocent little ole them!
I locked in a decent rate, which claimed to be the FINAL COST. Lucky me! I thought I saved a few bucks. When I picked it up, they burned me for another 87 dollars in fees.
I'd take a rickshaw before I'll give them another DOLLAR.

Terrible customer service

from Cape Canaveral location

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

We had a reservation and were guaranteed the complimentary shuttle would be available from the port to their office. After waiting 45 minutes for the Dollar shuttle, I called to verify. A very rude young lady told me keep waiting and it would be there in an hour. When I asked what the shuttle looked like, she hung up on me. 1 hour later, my second call was answered by an equally rude men who told me the shuttle would be there in 1 hour. He also told me that it didn't matter if I got to their location because they wouldn't have any cars available for another 6 hours. He then hung up on me when I asked him to explain what happened to the car I reserved. I tried calling back for the next hour and did not get an answer. 4 hours later, we eventually got a car from Avis. As we pulled into the Avis location, the Dollar location was across the street. And we find out that Dollar and Thrifty are the same. Had the rude young lady told me to look for a Thrifty shuttle instead of Dollar, we would not have waited at the port for 3+ hours. Sill not sure we would have actually gotten a car.

Will NEVER rent from Dollar or Thrifty again

Scam, STAY AWAY

from San Jose, CA

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

I wish I had read the reviews here before I booked with Dollars. I made the reservation through Expedia and had to paid all 7 days in full at time of booking. When we checked in at the Las Vegas Airport, we were told that I had to give them my driver's license number because I made the reservation, even though my boyfriend was the only driver. We told them again and again there was only one driver. I just received my credit card statement and found they had charged an additional $146. When I called them, they told me because there were two drivers. I argued that we already told them there was only 1 driver. She said if there were 1 driver, why they had two ID's on file, and that I should have my boyfriend's name on the reservation. This never happen to us before. We travel all over the world and booked many car rentals before. I told them that there was nowhere on the Expedia website for me to put down the driver's info. She told me that I should not have reserved on line. I think Dollar did all this on purpose so they can add charges to renters. It seems, from reading other reviews, they will find one thing or another to add additional charges to renters. If they were honest about this additional charges, they should have told us the cost of two drivers and charged us right on the spot. Why charged us after the fact. I WILL NOT EVER WANT TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH DOLLAR RENT A CAR AGAIN!! VERY GREEDY AND DISHONEST PEOPLE!

hidden charges

from San Diego CA

Overcharged....

Avoid Dollar Rent A Car

from Houston Airport

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

Please be on the lookout for fraudulent charges if you book a car from Dollar Car Rental. Recently, I picked up a compact car in George Bush International Airport in Houston. The rental was for $11 per day but the final charge was for over $270 for four days. Dollar Car Rental agents will add additional charges for insurance and road service without even asking if you want them or need them. Make sure you read the contract. I had just flown in for my son's funeral and because I was so upset, I didn't read the entire contract. I accepted the email I got from Hotwire stating the charges which covered the car, taxes and fees for under $000. Everytime I have rented a car or U-Haul truck, the agent ALWAYS asked if I wanted the insurance. The agent at Dollar Car Rental never mentioned the option. She just put on the contract that I accepted the additional insurance and road side assistance. I had already paid for insurance through Hotwire and had a Gold AAA membership card with me. Please protect yourself by reading every detail of the contract. Wish I could give them zero (0) stars!!!

Never ever again

from Mo

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

Called twice to make sure I had enough available on my credit card twice I was given an amount that should be available on the credit card when I rented the vehicle. Get there to Pittsburgh Intl and they added $100 out of nowhere onto amount that needed to be available . After TWO separate phone calls to make sure it was just 15% needed above the total due. Needless to say a big argument ensued. We will never ever rent from them ever again . DONT RENT HERE!

THE worst rental car company on the planet!

from Dulles

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

Had a rental reservation at Dulles airport - flight was delayed by 3 hours. This location closes at 12:30 - we land at 12:15. Call Dollar as soon as we land, explain this situation and the rep tells me to go to the curb the shuttle bus will wait to take me to the counter - run out there and get out by 12:29am - every other company has shuttles waiting to pick up delayed passengers but no Dollar. Call them back at 12:50am to check - rep tells me they all left for the night. Screw Dollar rental car - I was going to try them for a better rate than Avis but Avis charges more because they do try harder. Glad I am an Avis preferred customer and I will never ever try Dollar again.

Inept operation.( and slightly shady)

from Pensacola Fl

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

Rented a car from Dollar rent a car in Pensacola for 5 days Nov 2016. After two days we get pulled over by the County Sheriff's Deputy for having expired plates and also the plates were for another make vehicle and of a different color. I parked the illegally registered car and asked to get my car switched out but they refused. Two days later I drove the car back to the airport and flew out.

Orlando airport rental

from Topeka, Kansas

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

If you are traveling to Orlando airport and need a rental car, look no further then Dollar rental. Pick up counter was simple, very loud, pay attention to questions being asked by staff. Take my advice buy the toll pass offered ($50) if you plan on doing any driving while in Florida. All most all roads are toll roads, and yes they are doing away with cash lanes. Leaving the airport is a toll road. If you don't want to buy there toll pass, go online and by the Sun pass before travel, you will need it one way or the other. Picking car up was easy, just walk to type of car you rented and drive away. Returning was a breeze. Do a walk around look for damage and take photo's to be on the safe side. Should do this with any rental company. I would recommend Dollar at this location to everyone.

Scam

from Charlotte, NC

Comments about Dollar Rent A Car:

The female that rented out our car scammed us hard. When discussing the additional options, she lied about the gas prices in an area we are unfamiliar with to get us to purchase the extra gas option. Along with this, she "pushed" us into getting the insurance option by claiming that she "has only ever seen one person not get it." The total was originally less than 600$, but ended up being well over 800$. Do not use this company, for they cannot be trusted. With all of the small additional charges, you will NOT save money using this company.