View more routers

DIR-655
D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router

D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router

The DIR-655 is truly the little router that could

Honestly D-Link had always been low on my short list when it came to networking products with lack-luster performance from past incarnations of D-Link hardware. So why on earth would I trust them again you say. In my case it was an impulse buy when my tried and true Linksys router decided to join the big network in the sky. Locally there weren't to many options and with the network completely down I had to choose something on the spot, so I held my nose, picked up the D-Link DIR-655 and prayed I hadn't just thrown away my money. Fast forward a year later and I can safely say this IS the best router I've owned to date.

With two computers, a media server, an HTPC, three gaming consoles, two network based dual tuners, an Ooma hub, an Android phone, gigabit switches, wireless access point and cable internet bombarding the 655 day in and day out I can say I am absolutely shocked that not once has this router locked up or needed a reset due to all of this activity. Since installation the only time it gets a reset is when I update the firmware. As much as I loved my Linksys router I couldn't say the same for it.

The routers interface is somewhat simplistic and may not have every feature some are looking for. This router also doesn't support DD-WRT firmware so your stuck with D-Link provided firmware. Standard with most routers are the 4 gigabit ethernet LAN ports along with a 10/100/1000Mb selectable WAN port. Supporting 802.11b/g/n wireless with WEP as well as WPA/WPA2 security. While in my basement the signal through out the house has been somewhat strong with only a few deadspots on the second level. Unfortunately with the aluminum siding shell on my house the signal drops pretty much at the thresholds. The three external antennas can be replaced with higher dB rated antennas if need be. I've set-up the DIR-655 for use with DSL (PPPoE) and currently Cable internet (Dynamically Assigned IP) and setup was easy and connections always solid as long as the modems willing. The package included a self install CD which I used for initial setup and would recommend using if you need an easy step by step guide. There's also a USB port for Print sharing and attaching external storage.

An eye needs to kept on firmware updates as there have been reports of some flaky releases. With this router I would take a wait and see approach and only flash any D-Link firmware after a consensus of users agree it's stable. Every firmware I've used after researching has been rock solid stable. Not being able to use DD-WRT firmware is somewhat of a disappointment.

While the DIR-655 has been on the market a while it's still one of the best routers available. D-Link got something right with this one.

DLINK ditched me again

Dlink is the company I hated in the past, coz it fails to give good products to  customers. It happened again and it ditched me again. I fell for all the good reviews that this product had on the web sites. Dont fell for all those reviews. I have worked with networks for about 20 years, and have worked with just about every router brand out there. I was very optimistic about this product based on other user's reviews, but like MANY users have confirmed, this router can be extremely flaky. I tested with different firmware versions and various setting adjustments as recommended by other users experiencing the same problems, and it still disconnect and reboot itself at random and frequently. It only seem to be marginally stable when degrading or disabling security settings, which is totally unacceptable to me. Opening certain online games takes way too long, even if you are just playing online and not hosting. None of those games require opening any ports when not hosting. Downloading emails with attachments fails about 80% of the time and causes the router to reboot. Pretty much every firmware release since and including 1.20 has had serious bugs. The router froze with regularity and had to be power cycled. The wireless would restart frequently, temporarily disconnecting all wireless clients. Worse, with firmware 1.31, downgrading to earlier releases is no longer possible. I upgraded to this firmware with the hopes of solving some of the issues that I was having, only to find that it didn't fix the problems and I could no longer revert to 1.11, the last stable version in my experience. Months have passed with no resolution to the freezing issue and those of us who upgraded to 1.3x are stuck with essentially useless devices.

Easy to use

from Stoughton, WI

Comments about D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router:

This router is easy to setup and use out of the box. For more advanced users it does include more advanced features. The range is pretty good, with the device having three antennae, and it can be laid flat or positioned upright.

The range is decent, though like any router the signal can be blocked by walls or floors. It's easy to setup and use.

I have had this router for several years and have not had any issues with it.

Setup & Ease of Use
This router is easy to setup for basic use, but also has more advanced features.

Service & Support
I have not had to use customer support on this device yet.

• Setup & Ease of Use:
  • Service & Support:

A very high-quality wireless router

from Somerset, NJ

Comments about D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router:

The D-Link DIR-655 wireless router is very durable, and it is built with high-quality components. Like most wireless routers, it supports the 802.11b wireless standard, the 802.11g wireless standard, and the new 802.11n wireless standard. A lot of Wireless-N technology is expensive, but it is backwards-compatible with the 802.11b and 802.11g standards, if not all of your networking equipment is designed for the new 802.11n standard. On the other hand, though, this wireless router is very easy to install and configure. The 4-port switch on this router allows you to hard-wire 4 computers and/or printers to it, but you can add more devices to the network by connecting a separate switch or a hub to one of the switch ports, on this router. This router is the perfect addition to any network, although it is a little expensive, because of the new 802.11n standard. But I would recommend this wireless router to others.

Kind of disappointed with this router

from San Jose, CA

Comments about D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router:

D-Link DIR-655 WiFi Wireless Router 4-port Switch is not really what I expected it to be. I thought it would run smooth, disconnect a lot less, and everything that I could imagine, but I was wrong. With the original firmware installed, my roommates and I kept having the internet disconnect. Of course one would think, “oh it is just because you do not know what you are doing.” No, this is not the case; I have checked my ISP, and the previous router I used, never disconnected. Only when I started using this product, everything went bad. I later, updated it to the latest firmware, I believe 1.34NA, and my browsing still feels a slight lag and disconnect. Before this, I would never feel anything of that sort. In addition, I have tried many browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome), and also several computers in the household, not just my own. Overall, I would not buy this product again, because I thought I was investing in a good product, but maybe it was just bad for me, who knows.

love our router

from Salt Lake City, UT

Comments about D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router:

My fiance bought our wireless router for internet use a couple years ago. we didnt use it for a few months because we just could not get it to work and eventually gave up and forgot about it for a few months. Then one day he decided to dig it out and work at it for a bit. after an hour or two he was able to figure out what the problem was and it has worked ever since! so it was a pain to get it to start working but once it did, we loved it! we werent using it for about a year because we didnt have internet at the time and when we went and got internet again a few months ago we dug it out and hooked it up and it worked right away! i didnt have to do anything becuase it was already stored on the computer and everything was still there and saved and ready to be used. i was afraid it would be a huge pain again like the first time but it just wasnt and we were so relieved about that. i also love that our router is white which is cute!

D-Link DIR-655, one of the best

from Chester, NY

Comments about D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router:

I've owned this router for a few years and had very little issues. It does what it promises and is VERY fast. Wireless N for speeds around 15-20 MBps mean you can stream even 1080p wirelessly. I have before and it works very well. Using a G router usually results in choppy 1080p or loading times. Not to mention the wired connection is blazing fast. When transerring data over cat5 I get between 60-100MBps usually around 85, and almost always being limited by the hard drives themselves.

One word of warning, MAKE SURE you update firmware on this router to at least 1.34. On older versions there was a DNS relay issue which could make your web browsing very slow, while leaving other things unaffected.

I've always preffered D-link over linksys. I haven't had too many routers, about 2 d-link and two linksys and the linksys ones always gave me issues. I would think being part of cisco would make them superior, but even with tomato or DD-WRT it still dropped my connection. D-link is the way to go!

The DIR-655 is truly the little router that could

from Sheboygan, WI

Awesome Router

from Mount Arlington, NJ

Comments about D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router:

I've had this router for about 2 years now, and in that time I've only had to reboot it maybe twice!! if that!! has great range and is extremely reliable! I play online games with 2 different machines and it works great! just make sure you get a good wireless adapter for your other machines! well worth the money for this router! it was kind of expensive when it first came out (that would be my only con), but now it's been around a while... you can probably get it cheap some place! you won't be disappointed!

Great Router for little money

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router:

First off not many poeple might know this but it is a Gigabit router, not on the WiFi but in regards to local LAN traffic, this works wonderfully for streaming media from my dekstop computer to my PS3 system and my Yamaha reciever.  I would not suggest using any of the easy setup features and manually setting up the Wi-Fi, also give the router a different IP address so that it doesn't conflict with any modem a person may hook up to it.  The options that it gives you going through and setting it up are almost too much to handle.  Everything from creating virtual server spaces to VPN capabilities, also the security features it offers are wonderful.  If you have kids it gives you the ability to add sites that you want to restrict from being displayed.  It's also a nice feature that it works with all three WiFi technologies currently in the market, B/G/N.  I have mine only setup with G since I have no use for the others.  I get great coverage and it doesn't drop packets like some previous routers I have had when doing large transfers over the WiFi.

best router ever!

from Pinole, CA

Comments about D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router:

The d-link dir-655 is the best router ever since it gets really good range and the speeds are very stable. The design is very sleek and the price is decent and it might be on the high side but the three antennas help with the signal.  Some bad things about this router is that you cannot modify it by adding dd-wrt and making more features, but it has enough features for the typical family use. It can handle very high speeds and the connection is great.  The blue led lights are very nice compared to the green ones and the shareport really helps with my wireless printing, as my current printer does not support wireless printing, you plug in the usb port into the shareport on the router the usb device can be shared with the whole network that is in the home or on the local area network. The firmware should be updated more often but it seem that firmware updates are every 3-6 months. Even though the router may support high speeds, it does not get as hot as some other routers that I have had in the past. Eventually the ratings for this routers speak as this is one of the best routers out there for a good price.

DIR-655 is a great value despite its age

from Syracuse, NY

Comments about D-link Extreme-N Gigabit Wireless Router:

The one thing you notice about routers is that the good ones tend to stay around.  The only two routers that I can say this about is the linksys WRT54G and the D-Link DIR-655.  The DIR-655 has been wonderful the last 2 years I've used it.  It is a rock solid router that can handle a lot of traffic and open connections without any problems or crashing.  The range is great.  I have not used the N capabilities a whole lot since most of my devices are still G, so the one major con I have with it I don't really experience, and that is the lack of dual band N.  If I were buying a new N router and planned on using many N devices I would probably go for a dual band N router, but these can be considerably more expensive.  The only other "bad" thing I've heard about the DIR-655 is its lack of DDWRT/tomato third party firmware, but honestly I think D-Link did a fantastic job on the software that is available for the router as it has all of the options I require.  The one feature I do wish the software had was a bandwidth meter, but this isn't a deal breaker for me.