Other Hair Colorings:

Clairol Natural Instincts Brass Free

Pros

Cons

• Ease of Application:

Great at keeping the brass away!

from Richmond VA

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Brass Free:

I always seem to end up with terribly brassy hair in the summertime, and sometimes dyes only exacerbate the problem. I specifically tried this dye so that I could see if it really would keep the brassiness out of my hair, and it did! My hair looked so much better after using this and it did not take on the usual garish tones that it does when I spend a lot of time out in the sun. I highly recommend this to anyone with brassy tones in their hair!

This dye was great. It covered my grays a little bit, it made my hair look and feel healthy and beautiful, and it delivered on its promise to keep the brassiness away. It faded slightly sooner than I was expecting, but it was otherwise very effective and reliable.

Ease of Application
For whatever reason, I found that I was a little less clumsy applying this dye. I'm not sure whether the formula is slightly different or whether I was just having a good day, but I ended up with much less on my skin than usual!

• Ease of Application:

Great, natural look without the unwanted orange-y sheen

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Brass Free:

This is my go-to hair-color product. I use the semi-permanent kind, just because I have had bad experiences with the fading or discoloring of permanent applications. However, even though it says it lasts 28 washes, I have found that it takes at least twice as long to fade out completely, which is fine with me!
What I love most, though, is that it suppresses those brassy highlights that almost every other hair color can't. I already have some reddish highlights in my hair, and they just get amplified by other hair coloring products. Not only does the Brass Free formula cover the gray (which is why I am coloring it to begin with), but it tames those highlights and gives my hair a softer, more natural look that closely resembles my real hair color. It does still have a bit of dimension, though; it doesn't look like I just painted it a plain brown color. Overall, I have been impressed with this product, and I will continue to use it.

Covers gray well and keeps hair from looking brassy, as they advertise.

Ease of Application
I always struggle to cover those grays around my face, which is where I need the most help. I don't want to color my skin, and sometimes, I manage to remove the product from the hairline as I keep it off my face.

• Ease of Application:

The original formula is still the ONLY color I'll use.

from Northern, FL

Comments about Clairol Natural Instincts Brass Free:

After a five year hiatus from hair color products I was beginning to feel a bit frumpy. I decided it was time to get rid of the frumpies! I needed a Natural Instincts pick-me-up. Off to the store-

Problem was- my color was not on the shelf! I went to another store. They didn't have it either. I decided I'd try a close shade; lightest brown. The packaging looked similar but there were new words on the box that read, Brass-free. Everything else looked the same. I bought a box.

After arriving home, I retreated to my bathroom, dampened my hair and applied the product. I was confused because the product didn't seem to have any color to it. I was afraid I'd gotten a bad batch of color, but I left it on the entire 20 minutes. (suggested time for the most grey). I noticed the hair starting to turn darker. I washed out the color and used the enclosed conditioner. Oh, dear! There was a lot of RED in the color. This is NOT what I was hoping for.

The red toned down after a few washes. In my opinion, this product may be perfect for someone who naturally has a lot of red in their hair and they want to tone it down. For a person with white hair, not so much. I am going to find a store that carries the ORIGINAL Natural Instincts formula- that is one I can live with.

Natural Instincts lasts for about six weeks. The color gradually fades with each wash and there is never a tell-tale line as the roots grow out. I don't know how they do it, it's almost magic.

Ease of Application
It's as easy as washing your hair and it is not damaging to the hair because there is no ammonia in the product.