Other Allergy & Sinus Medicines:
Allergy Tablets
Cetirizine
Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec)

Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec)

Pros

Cons

• Immediacy:

Works for me! Rite Aid Zyrtec is cheaper and as effective!

***Quick View: ***I am allergy sufferer, usually to dust and some outdoor things. However, I developed a mega allergy recently that needed steroids and other medications to get under control. I was quite surprised when my doctor said that Zyrtec was BETTER than Benadryl for both itchy allergies (as I had) and respiratory ones (like I always have). I went to Rite Aid and saw their version, checked the ingredients which were the same, and bought a box. They work great!

***My Take on Rite Aid Cetirizine Hydrochloride Allergy Tablets (Generic Zyrtec)***

I always take Benadryl or a generic version of it when I get an allergic reaction. Generally my reactions are respiratory with sneezing, runny nose and eyes, itchy eyes, mucus, etc. This time, I developed huge welts and intense burning and itching on my upper body and had to go on Prednisone (a steroid) as well as take an antihistamine to calm the itching. My doctor said to get Zyrtec as opposed to Benadryl because it was a one a day tablet and worked better than the old stand by.

When I got to Rite Aid, I saw Zyrtec and felt it was pricey. Of course, you only need one pill every 24 hours as opposed to every 4-6 hours but still, the initial upfront cost seemed steep. I saw, next to it, **Rite Aid Cetirizine Hydrochloride Allergy Tablets**. The box said to compare it with Zyrtec so I did. It contained the exact ingredients, especially the main active one. The box of 10 (which I started with and have since bought a larger box) was almost half the price so, after asking the pharmacist if I should stick with the name brand or not and getting the go ahead to buy generic, I did.

These pills are small and white in blister packaging. You need just one every 24 hours for allergy relief. My doctor said they do NOT make people drowsy but they do me for the first hour or so. They make me much less drowsy than Benadryl though and each day, that lessens.

My intense itching and irritation was SO much better after one dose of this medication! I could actually leave mystery alone and not dig and scratch and whine and complain! I didn't experience any side effects other than initial drowsiness which passes fairly quickly. The effects lasted the whole 24 hours.

I took all 10 pills and went back for a bigger box. I can take these when I need them or everyday according to my doctor. I don't plan to take them daily but will when I know I will be in dusty or musty environments or as spring approaches and all those pretty buds make me sneeze and weep.

Is Zyrtec better than Benadryl? it's longer acting. I definitely feel and see results. I don't know if it is* better *really but it is very effective and I don't have to bother taking pills every few hours. Is Zyrtec better than the Rite Aid version? I bought the smallest box of "real" Zyrtec to compare and I felt absolutely no difference between the two. They are the same thing, one is just cheaper.

***My Viewpoint***

If you have allergies or have a runny nose or sinus issues, you may want to look into trying **Rite Aid Cetirizine Hydrochloride Allergy Tablets (Generic Zyrtec)**. It's affordable, effective, and can be taken even by those who can't take common cold medications due to the decongestants in them. I am one who can't take decongestants due to a thyroid issue so I rely on antihistamines to get me through bad colds and allergy bouts.** Rite Aid Cetirizine Hydrochloride Allergy Tablets (Generic Zyrtec) **helps TREMENDOUSLY! ***5 stars.***

I definitely feel and see results. It is very effective and I don't have to bother taking pills every few hours.

One pill a day!

Immediacy
The medication starts working within an hour and keeps working all day and night.

Allergy Relief

I thought this generic Zyrtec brand was exactly that. Generic. I would say it basically worked at about medium strength for my body personally and the symptoms that were most affected were my itchy watery eyes, the tickle in my throat and it basically stopped most of my sneezing. But like I said it worked somewhat and for my other symptoms it did not seem to work at all. I also noticed that once I took it I would feel really drowsy after eating anything to the point where I started needing to take naps throughout the day. If I couldn't take a nap I would become really irritable. I would not be purchasing this brand again.

I suppose they were pretty easy to use. They were not too big of size and they did not seem to have any real aftertaste or anything like that.

Immediacy
For the little bit that they did do it seemed that they starting working within thirty minutes or so of me taking them.

Allergy Relief

• Immediacy:

This works great and costs quite a bit less than Zyrtec.

from Port Lavaca, TX

Comments about Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec):

I have horrible allergies and first tried Claritin but got no relief. I tried name brand Zyrtec and love the results but cringed every time I looked at the price so I tried the generic brand and found that I got the same results! I generally have itchy eyes, sore throat, phlegm, constant mucus, cough, headache, and sinus infections as a result of allergies. I used to be miserable when allergy season came, but since starting Zyrtec I have been symptom free. Since starting generic Zyrtec, I am symptom free and spend less money on allergy medicine. And they work exactly the same for me!

Generic Zyrtec takes care of all my allergy symptons as well as name brand Zyrtec.

I just have to take one small pill a day. I've never had any trouble swallowing the pill or with it dissolving in my mouth too soon.

Immediacy
It generally takes a little less than an hour to start working and within a couple of hours I have full relief.

Lifesaver!

Comments about Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec):

I have absolutely horrible allergies in the summer, cetirizine hydrochloride is the ONLY allergy relief that I have found works for me! I also love that this is a generic brand of Zyrtec so I can actually afford to breath all summer. One bottle of this can usually last me the majority of the summer months, taking one, sometimes two a day. The only thing that it doesn't do is act as a decongestant, it does help with my itchy ears and eyes, but doesn't clear out my nose. My pharmacist suggested taking generic sudafed with the cetirizine hydrochloride and that would take care of all my allergy symptoms, and it has! Finding this generic Zyrtec has literally been a miracle-find! I was so miserable before finding some allergy medication I could afford as a poor college student! I also like that it's effective fairly quick, ten minutes after taking it I can start to feel a difference.

Good Alternative to the Name Brand

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec):

Before Zyrtec was available over the counter I had a prescription for it and the pharmacy substituted the cheaper Cetirizine Hydrochloride for the name brand because my insurance required it. I was not amused but decided to give it a try before begging my doctor to require the name brand.

Overall, this works just like the name brand, relieving my seasonal allergy symptoms of sneezing and watery, itchy eyes. My symptoms disappeared right away and stayed away, just like if I had been taking the name brand medication.

What concerned me and caused me to stop taking the generic was that it made me quite dizzy at times. It wasn't horrible and it wasn't all the time, but it was uncomfortable enough for me to return to taking the name brand.

This side effect was probably just something with my body but it's worth noting. If I hadn't had the dizziness side effect I definitely would have continued using this.

Can't live without it!

Comments about Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec):

I have year-round allergies. I take this allergy medicine every day and I'm fine. If I didn't take it, I wouldn't be able to breathe or see very well since some of the things I'm allergic to affect my sinuses and others make my eyes swell and itch. I wouldn't even try to not take it.

Generic Zyrtec works well

Comments about Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec):

Generic Zyrtec is a lifesaver. I think the generic works just as well as name brand, and it is a lot cheaper. I have had seasonal allergies for as long as I can remember, and this medication works the best with the least side effects.

better than any other over the counter allergy medication I have tried. generic works as well as name brand for me.

Immediacy
takes about an hour to start working

Only need 1 pill a day

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec):

I was having issues with my sinuses/allergies. I've never used Zyrtec before because I found the price was so high. I was pleased to find this generic alternative. I think it takes 20-30 minutes for the medicine to take effect---it is not immediate, but it is quick enough.

This medicine works for me and it's nice to take just one pill every 24 hours instead of 1 to 2 pills every 4 hours for a typical antihistamine.

I know that the directions indicate this this may cause drowsiness, but that is not the case for me---I never felt drowsy. I did read that for people that do feel drowsiness, they can start taking this medicine before bedtime. I think the drowsiness wares off.

I have also tried the generic version of Claritin and the medicines seem very similar to me.

When I bought a bottle containing 100 pills, the expiration date was just 7 months away and I wish it had a later expiration date.

• Immediacy:

Generic or not, it wasn't for me.

from Fort Worth, Texas

Comments about Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec):

My doctor recommended and prescribed the Cetiriine Hydrochloride to me after I went into the office complaining of a runny nose, itchy, watery eyes, and a bunch of other allergy symptoms. The first week of taking this generic Zyrtec I received instant relief of my allergy symptoms. The itchy watery eyes, the itchy throat, the coughing, etc. The second week it relieved the symptoms for part of the day and I could only take this once a day so at night I would suffer. I ended up going back to the doctor and my doctor changed the medicine. My body grew a tolerance to this medicine really quickly and my doctor told me it usually doesn't work well for long term and year around allergies. So since I have year around allergies this one was not for me.

It's great for short term use or seasonal allergies. But for people that suffer from allergy symptoms all year around, this is not the medicine for you. It wasn't for me.

It's in pill form and the pill is really small and easy to swallow.

Immediacy
It works instantly during the first few weeks.

• Immediacy:

the best generic i've ever used

Comments about Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec):

I'm always leery of using generic OTC meds, but this was so much cheaper I had to try it, and I've been really happy with the results. Zyrtec works really well for me, and so has this. The great thing about it is that it is only about one-half the price of name brand Zyrtec, which is a pretty significant savings.

• Immediacy:

it worked well, but had side effects

Comments about Cetirizine Hydrochloride (Generic Zyrtec):

I took generic zyrtec for a while, probably over a month, and it worked well as far as helping to clear my sinus congestion (which is what my doctor prescribed it for), but it gave me really bad heart palpitations. I have heart disease, and having heart palpitations is not good for anyone, much less for people with heart disease. So I had to stop taking it. If you have to take it, make sure it is not giving you an irregular heartbeat of any kind.

was very effective

as easy to use as any other medicine, with small, easy to swallow pills.