Other Spirits:
Captain Morgan
Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum

Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum

Captain Morgan Adds Some Spice to Your Favorite Rum Drink

Rum drinks are often quite delicious and refreshing. They are often perfectly fine when made with ordinary white rum, but a little spice can make them even more interesting than before. And the best- known name in spiced rum is undoubtedly **Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum** a distilled Puerto Rican Rum with added spices.  **Rum Commentary:** Captain Morgan is light brown/gold in color with a clear body. This rum has a candy- like aroma, similar to the smell you experience in a kitchen where candy is being cooked. The flavor of Captain Morgan’s Rum isn’t surprising. It tastes exactly the way one would expect, with a combination of rum and spice. The spices used in the production of this rum are not disclosed, but based on flavor, it tastes like Captain Morgan Spiced Rum is made using vanilla, cloves, cinnamon, and a few other things. This combination results in a taste that is sweeter than most other rum. Even the finish, which is bitter and alcoholic, is not as harsh as that of regular rum. This product is also slightly weaker than regular rum, with 35 percent alcohol (70 proof) by volume. Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum was named for the legendary Captain Morgan, a sailor who was known for his love of good rum. This rum can easily be spotted in a beverage store, due to the label and its colorful cartoon depiction of Captain Morgan with one foot on the ground and the other on a barrel with a ship sailing in the background. Fans of Captain Morgan agree that the label is cute, but what they enjoy most is the smooth, yet spicy flavor of this rum. The alcohol level is slightly less that that of ordinary rum and the alcohol taste isn’t as obvious, thanks in part to the added spices. Speaking of the spicy character, this is the main distinction and the main reason for the popularity of  Captain Morgan Spice Rum. Mixed with other beverages, the taste that stands out most is vanilla. When mixed with Coca- Cola, for example, the result is a drink that tastes like Vanilla Coke- much tastier than ordinary rum and Coke. Mix Captain Morgan’s with Seven- Up, and you end up with a drink that has the look and flavor of a glass of cream soda. Other spices are present, too, like cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg. But the flavor that stands out when added to a mixed drink is that of vanilla. Captain Morgan Spiced Rum can be used in most any drink recipe that calls for regular light rum. More often than not, the result is a sweeter and better- tasting drink. However, there are some mixed drinks where I still prefer the taste of regular light or dark rum over Captain Morgan. One such drink is a daiquiri. Made with Captain Morgan, daiquiris have the added flavor of vanilla. Some might like this added flavor, but I would rather taste fruit when I drink a daiquiri. The same is true of a few other mixed drinks. **Bottom- Line Viewpoint:** Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum is a good- tasting liquor that adds a nice dimension of taste to an ordinary rum drink. The tastes of vanilla and spices help to spruce up drinks calling for ordinary rum and while this rum may not be suitable for any type of rum drink, it does make a nice change from the dry, alcoholic taste of light rum.

Ho hum. More Rum.

Ah, the "good ol" Captain. Most people like this rum, and would expect positive things upon clicking on it, but I am sorry to say I do not share their opinions. Just to be clear, we're talking about the general, run-of-the-mill, "spiced rum" not "private stock" or one of those others. Sure, associating rum with pirates is a great idea -- I've nothing bad to say about rum OR pirates, generally speaking -- and if that's all it takes to get you to drink some Captain, great, go for it. The stuff isn't actually that bad, but let's be honest here, the things most people say about Morgan's...have you even *tried* other rums (that aren't from the bottom shelf)? Most of the time, when I ask this question, the answer is no. The good: It's popular. Everyone likes it. They don't really know why (or they think they know why, but it doesn't match up). It's not poorly promoted, nor is it falsely advertised; it's spiced rum! And the spice does have a certain flavor that makes the rum different from other rums. It does go down with a reasonable amount of ease, mixes well in some drinks, and isn't too nasty for its ABV percentage. The bad: It's popular. Everyone likes it. Ok, that sounds a lot like the pros, but the point is, I could use a little variety. I feel people buy for the brand alone. People say Captain is smooth; if you like smooth rum, I recommend Bacardi Select. It's not only more smooth, but (locally, at least) it's cheaper, too. The various Bacardis and several other rums also mix a lot better in drinks, and even though I admit to favoring Bacardi, there are lots of rums that are cheaper and just as tasty as Morgan's. If you want something for a reasonably typical Rum & Coke, try Bacardi Gold. If you want to try a new Rum/Cola combo, try Bacardi Select in some Pepsi. Or if you want something with a little less ABV and more flavor, try giving Cruzan or Whaler's a shot. The flavors mix well with other dark sodas, and you might even like them in fruity sodas. If, the next time you pick up some liquor, you pick up something new instead of just heading straight for the Captain, I'll feel this review has done its job.

A great drink to have in you home

Comments about Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum:

There are many alcoholic beverages out there that one could buy. In my opinion, Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum is an alcohol that everyone should have at home. You can mix this with virtually anything and will taste very well. I personally love this drink because not only does it taste good, it is very affordable. One of my favorite drinks is mixing Captain Morgan with pineapple juice.

My "Go To" Liqour

from St. Paul, MN

Comments about Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum:

The original Captain Morgan's original spiced rum is honestly my favorite alcohol out of anything I've tried, which is a fair amount of brands and types. I've never really been a "shot" girl or a girl who drinks hard liquor straight, but comparing the few things I have drank straight Captain Morgan is very smooth, slightly sweet and easy to drink. I am a girl who absolutely love mixed drinks though! Whenever I go to the liquor store, Captain is always my go to brand of what I get (unless I'm specifically trying to pick something new and different). It is the best liquor to mix with coke and dr. pepper and especially rootbeer! When I'm out of the dark sodas I mix with ginger ale, sierra mist, etc. It's a completely different drink but tastes just as good.

Captain Morgan Spiced Heartburn.

Comments about Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum:

Let me begin by saying I love spiced rum. It's my favorite type of liquor. In fact, it's the ONLY liquor I truly think tastes good. I've had and enjoyed many brands of spiced rum. So I feel qualified to say that Captain Morgan is terrible. It's the worst spiced rum I've had, with the exception perhaps of a few of the bargain bottom shelf brands. Saying that Captain Morgan is great because it's "spicy but goes down smooth" or any other such remark is nonsense really, seeing as though that fits the general description of "spiced rum." It's like saying Chiquita bananas are especially good because they're yellow and they grow on trees. Captain Morgan isn't good. It tastes terrible compared to other rums in the same price range, and it gives me heartburn every time. Sailor Jerry is a far superior choice as far as mid-grade spiced rum goes in my opinion.

Sweet, delicious Captain Morgan.

Comments about Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum:

Most parties I have been to have included Captain Morgan because a party isn't a party without it. Captain Morgan is any pirates treasure and anyones drink. This sweet, spiced fruity rum is perfect with lemonade,coke or simply "on the rocks". It has an alcohol content of 35% but "goes down like water" so if you are looking for a good night in or out, leave it to Captain Morgan and uou are almost garaunteed a blast of a time.

Favorite drink

Comments about Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum:

I rarely drink anymore, but when I used to this was always my favorite. I always mixed mine with Coke or Pepsi and I thought the taste was great. I wasn't a heavy drinker so the bottle always lasted me quite a while. The price isn't bad either. I have tried other kinds of rum and was disgusted with them. This is the best rum I have tasted!

If you like to drink, then drink a Bitty Bitty!

from Charlotte, NC

Comments about Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum:

This is my favorite drink!  My older brother recommended that I try it, since I was a rum drinker, and this is almost the only Rum I will drink now!  I mix it with a coke or a pepsi, add a slice of lime, sqeezed into it, and that's it!  We call it a "Bitty Bitty".

a smooth rum taste without the after bite

from Addison, IL

Comments about Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum:

for someone who can't handle the smell and taste of a bacardi type rum, captain morgan is exactly what i was looking for. it's simple, captain morgan is smooth and taste great. instead of going out and spending good money on something  that is expensive and popular, get your moneys worth on something that taste good without having to make that yuk face and everyone can  enjoy. it is more than reasonably priced  and can be found almost anywhere.

Perfect for Rum and Coke (or Diet Coke)

from Magalia, CA

Comments about Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum:

YUMMY!!!! Is these anything else that can be said here?  I enjoy Rum and Diet Coke's and my favorite Rum by far is Captain Morgan Spiced Rum.  I love to gather around some friends for game nights once a month and it seems that everyone loves the Captain!  Plus it is easy to mix with other things besides Coke, just use your imagination!  Enjoy and Happy Drinking!

Good Stuff !!!!

from Grants Pass, OR

Comments about Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum:

This is really good stuff, lots of different kinds of mixed drinks are possible and it almost always found in any hard alcohol drinking places, my favorite of course is the most n, rum and coke, but Captian's puts a kick too it that makes it stand on its own.

smooth and spicy

from Warsaw, MO

Comments about Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum:

It is great on the rocks, mixed with water or other mixer, nice to enjoy in the evening, a wonderful addition to your liquor cabinet, can be mild or strong depending on how you like it, I think even just to smell it is great, nice looking bottle, the price is not prohibitive so you can enjoy it whenever you want.