Other Spirits:
Malibu Rum
Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut

Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut

Bringing You the Taste of the Tropics

Tropical drinks are often quite refreshing and they really hit the spot on a hot summer day. These types of drinks are generally sweet and they are usually made with both sweet ingredients and sweet liquors too, thereby magnifying the sugar content by several times. There are a few brands of sweet liquors but one of the best- known among them is **Malibu Coconut Rum**, a product that has its origins on the Caribbean island of Barbados. **Tasting Attributes:**

Malibu Coconut Rum is clear with an easy- flowing consistency that is similar to water but slightly oily. The aroma of this rum is one of coconut, spice, and alcohol and a good swirl in a glass helps to bring the aroma to the forefront and whet the appetite. The taste of Malibu Coconut Rum is like a combination of coconut and nuts- primarily almonds. You can tell this product is rum based. The taste of lightly spiced, buttery rum is present in the background with each sip. But the primary flavor is coconut and it is quite sweet when compared to most liquors. Even the finish, while attempting to be dry, still ends on a generally sweet note. Malibu Coconut Rum contains 21 percent alcohol by volume (42 proof). A serving size of one ounce (30 ml) has 58 calories, zero fat, zero protein, and six grams of carbohydrates. These numbers are considerably lower than those of stronger liquors.

**Rum Commentary:** Malibu Coconut Rum is among the most popular of all flavored rums and it is one of the first of its kind I ever tasted. I generally don't get a taste for sweet drinks but when I do, rum drinks rank among my favorites and among the different types of flavored rum available, Malibu Coconut Rum is one of the best.  What I like most about this rum is its versatility in drinks. Most people think of Malibu Coconut Rum as a rum designed only for tropical drinks. It is true that it does match up very nicely with these types of beverages. But Malibu Coconut Rum can be added to many different mixers. I like it mixed with Coke, with Sprite, and with many other neutral mixers. Basically, anything that is good with rum will probably be good or even better with Malibu Coconut Rum. It takes the taste of rum and modifies it with the addition of coconut and a small amount of nuts and spice for an often delicious alternative taste to regular rum. Malibu Coconut Rum, like other flavored rums, is very sweet and this fact could turn some people off. The sweet taste makes Malibu Coconut Rum an easy- drinking liquor and it is one of a handful of flavors rums that I like to drink neat or on the rocks. The tasty coconut makes a delicious treat. It is like a dessert all by itself and sometimes, when the mood hits me, I will enjoy a shot or two as an after dinner drink. Malibu Coconut Rum isn't very strong. It contains less than half the alcohol level of most other rums and that means it is less likely to intoxicate. A one ounce shot added to, say, a five ounce serving of Coke will result in a tasty drink that contains only 3.5 percent alcohol. This is less alcohol than most beer and that makes it a great choice for those who want to watch their alcohol intake but also like to enjoy a tasty rum drink from time to time.

**Bottom Line:**

Rum ranks right up there with whiskey as my favorite liquors and while I still prefer beer to any type of booze, Malibu Coconut Rum is one of the tastier flavored rums available and it ranks among my favorites. It costs more than most rum but it makes a nice addition to any liquor cabinet and it really hits the spot when the sweet taste of the tropics is what you crave.

Flavor is good, can't hold a buzz though

I wouldn't drink this by itself if you're looking for a buzz! I love coconut stuff so I was bound to try it at some point but could not keep a buzz for anything! Definitely a light drink.

The flavor is pretty nice, if a bit too sweet. But for people who are really sensitive to alcohol flavorings, this is a hit. Especially women, in my opinion. Probably the best product for home made pina colada's.

Personally i'm not going to buy it again just because I'm cheap and would rather get one item to drink instead of a bunch of mixers. It would also make a good beginners drink to slowly introduce someone to alcohol to get a taste of their tolerance.

I wonder if this would make a good baking alcohol? Because the flavor -is- really sweet... Almost coconut cupcake sweet. Would pair well with citrus flavors and various other fruity cocktails. If you want something stronger, I would try the Parrot Bay Coconut rum.

Smooth, light and yummy

Comments about Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut:

If you are looking for something smooth that leaves no harsh after taste, this is for you. It is very subtle and has hardly any 'alcohol flavor' to it. I would personally say it tastes more like a juice drink than alcohol.

The alcohol content is 21% which is quite a bit lower than most alcohols; especially those with a strong alcohol taste. It is a mellow, fresh tasting alcohol that COULD be drank on ice, if you wish, and not be overpowering.

I love to buy this brand for several reasons. It is fairly cheap. It goes with just about anything. Coconut flavoring can be mixed with some sodas, almost any juice such as pineapple, or sipped on straight up. My only slight complaint is if you drink it without a mixer, to some it has a bit of an artificial taste. I would suggest mixing it and it'll take that tinge of artificial taste right out.

I personally have never had a headache from Malibu and I consider myself to be somewhat sensitive to alcohol. On the same note, I have never woken up feeling hungover. It's a nice and light drink great for a night out or lounging around.

Flavor is good, can't hold a buzz though

Great Flavor

from TN

Comments about Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut:

Malibu Rum Caribbean Rum with Coconut has an incredibly, sweet, exotic taste and smell. This rum tastes like liquid candy, you can drink this straight from the bottle on ice or use it to spice-up your mixed drinks, here are a few. You can blend it with crushed ice and pineapple juice for making a delicious, frosty, creamy pina-colada, or you can add it to a glass of warm eggnog, add a dash of cinnamon and enjoy.

yummmm

Comments about Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut:

Love this Malibu Rum. Tastes amazing and makes for a perfect girls night beverage. I usually mix it with pineapple juice and make delicious cocktails. the rum is strong enough to get you drunk but all while tasting delicious. I definitely recommend.

Amazingly delicious!

Comments about Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut:

If you are looking for an alcohol that does not burn, taste awful, or any of the bad things associated with drinking alcohol this is it! The fruity taste is great, and makes it easy to mix with different things. It is also very good with Pina Coladas. Great liquor for a sunny day!

Yummy!

from St. Paul, MN

Comments about Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut:

I'm definitely a rum girl and even in my younger days when I wasn't, I still loved Malibu rum. It isn't exactly a high class liquor but it is one of the perfect things to use in mixed drinks. It's light coconut flavor and subtle sweet tones are perfect to mix with anything from the fruity drinks to a simple Malibu and coke. It doesn't taste super strong either so if your a person that likes drinks that actually taste good compared to alchoholic-y, it's perfect for you.

Makes the best mixed drinks!

Comments about Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut:

Malibu Rum Caribbean Rum with Coconut makes amazing mixed drinks! It also tastes good straight. It has a great taste of coconut and the strong taste of rum. It is perfect mixed with some pineapple and cranberry juice! Malibu Coconut Rum is a little more on the expensive side, but they have a bunch of different sizes for all occasions. If you're looking to make awesome mixed drinks or have coconut flavored shots, Malibu should be your first choice. I beeline towards it when I go in a liquor store!

Coconutty goodness!! Yum! (but probably not for everyone)

Comments about Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut:

I absolutely love this rum. It's delicious. It's this simple: if you love coconut and rum, then you'll probably love Malibu. If you don't like coconut you're going to hate it. As many others have said, it definitely smells like suntan lotion. I'm sure it's hard to imagine suntan lotion tasting good or smelling appetizing for some people, but believe me...some of us think Banana Boat and Hawaiian Tropic smell delicious. And with Malibu...you actually get a chance to taste it, and drink rum at the same time. HA! What's not to love?

My favorite flavored rum

Comments about Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut:

This has a strong coconut flavor that blends well with pineapple juice or cola. Even if I mix 2 oz. of it to 8 oz. of a mixer, it barely tastes like there's any alcohol in the drink. As far as affordability goes, this is a great way to have some liquor without it costing a pretty penny.

A cheap bottle, and for good reason

Comments about Malibu Rum Carribean Rum with Coconut:

Malibu has certainly earned its reputation in the liquor industry as a typical "ladies drink" for good reason. Not only is this rum over flavored with coconut, it is incredibly watered down. Being only 40 proof, these bottles aren't quite priced low enough to be worth the buy.