Other Digital Cameras:
Point-and-Shoot Digital Cameras
Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera

Summary

The sleek PowerShot S3 IS digital camera offers you high resolution, an extra-long zoom, advanced yet easy-to-use movie functions plus great new shooting options. Also, with Image Stabilizer technology, images and movies taken with the S3 IS are sharp and smooth, even when the camera gets jostled. It's everything you need to capture the fun, excitement and beauty of your active life - wherever it takes you!

Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera

The Canon PowerShot S3 IS makes an amature look like an Expert!

I received my Canon PowerShot S3 IS in January 2008, as a replacement for my Kodak that happened to be worn out.

Instead of just reading the manual, I...Read complete review

Instead of just reading the manual, I decided to play with the camera along with reading the manual.  My husband was sitting by the computer, and I was across the room on the couch.  "Snap, Snap, Snap" went the Canon - beautiful pictures even just goofing around.

That tells you this is a point and shoot camera - but what it doesn't tell you is all that it can do.  My favorite feature on this camera is the Color Accent mode.  This allows you to pick one color (you can even get 5 shades of this color) and when you take a picture, the picture is  black and white - except the one color you choose.  I have taken many pictures of my family as well as my extended family (home daycare) with this mode - and they have been treasured gifts.

This camera has wonderful video capabilities also.  We have video taped my daughters dance recitals from the last row of the auditorium -  how is that for great zoom.  Plenty of football plays, as well as pole vaulting.  This camera does it all - and you don't have to be an expert to get great quality!

IF you need a great camera at a decent price - I am sure you will be happy with the Canon PowerShot S3 IS.

Great zoom lens but 800 ISO equivalent results in photo "noise."

I purchased this camera for outdoor scenery, insides of museums and cathedrals, flower closeups, and pet antics.

I like a super zoom and the ability to shoot in low-light situations. The zoom is quite good, optics are quality, but low-light features result in a great deal of noise (graininess) in photos.

I've had some issues with overexposure - mainly just the sky (autometering sensor) and capturing true colors when photographing outdoor flowers. Perhaps this is due to my lack of patience in plowing through multi-layered menus when I want to shoot a photo quickly.  I tend to point downward to take a meter reading and then aim at the scene and snap it before the sensor has time to readjust. In this way I still get blue skies.

Don't both with the camera case as mine is collecting dust - it is just another item to get in the way when you want a fast photo.

While the size/weight is better than that of a digital SLR, it is still a bit cumbersome for travel and I now tend to leave it at home and use my husband's pocketsized Canon.

Love my Canon Camera

from Eugene, OR

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

I have always loved to take pictures but very dissapointed in all cameras I have ever bought so I started checking on-line for cameras. I was going to get a Kodak cause I thought I had found what I wanted but when I went to stores to buy it knobody seemed to have it or know much about it. So this camera was reccomended to me and it was in my price range and had the features that I was looking for.

When I got it home my husband was impressed that I had bought such a good camera and even more impressed at how little I paid for it. I have had it for years now and only had one little problem with it. But I was smart enough to get insurance and didn't cost me anything to have it looked at and fixed. Turned out all it needed was a thorough cleaning. I have taken some of the best pictures of my life with this camera and even though it is getting old I have no need to replace it yet. When I do I think I will get another Canon.

Image Quality
Image quality is still so good

performance is awesome, never any problems

so easy to use my grandsons use it to take pictures

so durable, has been dropped a few times and no damage and still works like i did when I first got it.

Battery Life
I use rechargables and last a really, really long time. I use it alot and barely have to change the batteries

Portability
it's a little bigger than the point and shoot ones but I sometimes carry it in my purse.

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

This is an outstanding camera!

from Jacksonville, AL

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

This is a really great camera. I bought it because my sister-in-law had one and I loved the pictures it took. It has a lot of different modes. I've only had it for a couple of days, but I absolutely love it. I've yet to find a con. I would recommend it to everyone!

All around great product. Highly recommend Very User Friendly.

from Landisville, PA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

This is a great camera. I will continue to buy this brand from now on. This camera takes very clear pictures. I haven't seen one red eye yet.  This camera although big is very lightweight. It has a great zoom. And many wonderful features. The memory is outstanding. I have has this camera for over a month now and haven't had to clear any pics off of it yet. I lookfoward to using this brand and buying from this company for  a long time. Great Job by all.

Great clarity on pictures, easy to use

from Branchville, NJ

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

When it came time to purchase a camera, I really researched digital cameras.  Read up on the what importance the zoom made and how important the megapixels were.  After researching I went to our local office supply store and looked at all the cameras available.  My choice was the Canon PowerShot.  I liked the way it felt.  Although it's a bit larger than most digital camera, it feels like what a camera should feel like.  The zoom on the camera is awesome.  I'm still learning all of it's capabilities.  I did purchase a 1.0 GB memory card and not only have i stored 100's of photos on the card but can also take several video clips.  I've taken many videos with the camera and it's almost like having a camcorder.  The videos that are recorded are crisp and the sound clear.  I definitely would recommend this camera to someone looking to purchase one.

Excellent Camera for a Great Price

from Raceland, LA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

I am an amateur at photography and still have a lot to learn but I have a love for taking great pictures. I purchased the Canon S3 IS a few months ago, not because I "Needed" a new camera, but because I happened to be browsing through the electronics department and came across this one and it was reduced to half the price. I was very impressed with the performance. We have taken beautiful photos with this camera.The features are easy to use, And there isnt that awful shutter lag that usually takes forever.I love that you can do movies on it although I dont use it for that. I would recommend this camera to anyone who wants a quality camera at a decent price

great value for the price

from Snohomish, WA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

bought camera for a holiday trip and wow!!! what a great value for the price we paid. it is not a true slr, but for the value of this camera you won't be disappointed.  The quaity of the picture content and ease of use more than make up for any fancy option it may not have.

awsome camera

from Wichita, KS

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

This camera is completly awsome. IT takes wonderful pictures and is fairly easy to use. This camera takes great picutes. It takes picures that are of hight quality. The pictures are very easy to print as well. The pictures need virtually no adjustment before printing.

almost like an SLR camera,pictures are very clear & easy to use

from Bristol, TN

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

i'm a person who doesn't want to be bothered by manualscanon S3IS is easy to use that i didn't really need to study the manual. the camera has very easy-to-understand buttons. it takes really good pictures. every detail is clearly captured by this camera.

Excellent camera for an amateur photographer.

from College Station, TX

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

This camera is an excellent camera for an amateur or hobbyist who wants more functionality that a point and shoot, but not the cost, size or complexity of a full SLR.  The "SLR like" line of cameras are larger than the pocket sized point and shoots, but are still easy to carry around.  The shutter lag is not noticable and the flash recharges quickly.  It runs off of four AA batteries and one set can last for 100's of pictures.  The viewfinder can flip out and be rotated.  This is especially nice when photographing at strange angles or even of yourself.  Camera takes SD memory cards.  The camera has settings that adjust the aperature, shutter speed or both.  You can also manually focus it, although it takes some practicing to get that technique down.  The new S5 IS is out now, so if you don't mind having one step down from the newest model, you can get this one at a great price.

Fabulous camera, takes great pictures, easy to use.

from Manitou Beach, MI

Comments about Canon - PowerShot S3 IS Digital Camera:

I bought this camera in May 2007 after about 6 weeks of comparing different brands on the internet and in stores.  It has more features than I will ever use but once I figured out the basics it was very easy.  The screen on the camera rotates so you can turn the camera around or up high and still see what you are shooting.  Pictures can be taken quickly too with just a second or two process time.  The battery life is also very good.  It uses 4 AA batteries.  The only disadvantage that I can think of is using the flash.  You have to remember to put the flash up, it won't do it automatically.  The camera will let you know however when you try to take a picture in low light.  All in all, for an amateur photographer, it is a very nice camera.