Other Digital Cameras:
Point-and-Shoot Digital Cameras
Canon
Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera

Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera

Start looking around for a new hard drive, you're gonna need it!

Looking for the best Digital Compact camera money can buy? Look no further. This is the creme de la creme, if the end result matters. And no, I'm not on...Read complete review

Looking for the best Digital Compact camera money can buy? Look no further. This is the creme de la creme, if the end result matters. And no, I'm not on Canon's payroll.

**Built and Aesthetics**

This camera was designed with a retro look & feel and if you're an old-school 35mm Leica Compact fan, you're gonna love this. It's also got a good amount of weight as well. I like a bit of weight because it keeps my hands steady. Built quality is excellent.

However, the camera body is slightly bulky for a compact i must say. For those who are looking for a really compact and light camera, the G9 is not for you.

**Picture Quality**

12.1 Megapixels with RAW option, multiple focussing options, intelligent autofocus,  manual focus available. Pixture quality is, TRULLY EXCEPTIONAL. You gotta see it to believe it. If you never thought you could take great pictures, the G9 will change your mind!

**Ease of Use**

Err,..well, it's loaded with more features than a SWAT team on a rescue mission but there is a Full Auto Mode in case you get nauseous looking all at the buttons and dials. The User Manual's a handful too, but once you get over that and start to use it, it'll grow onto you.

**Add-ons/Accessories**

I have a 2x Tele-Converter and a 0.7x Wide-Converter as well, both are Canon. Raynox makes them for this camera as well.

I'm also using a Canon 380EX external flash when I need to. Bear in mind that if you use converters, it'll block the built-in flash, so if you need to use the flash, you'll need to mount an external unit. Sunpak and Metz dedicated flash units will work as well.

And if you Dive, there's a waterproof case available by Canon and a few other after market manufacturers.

**Customisation**

There are some after-market customisation stuff for the G9 too. I bought some from Lensmate. This guy Richard Franiec makes them I think.

**CONCLUSION**

Well built, nice to hold, excellent pictures, full of features! At the price it's going for, nothing compares.

PS: Other options I considered:  the Canon S5is, Nikon D40 and Panasonic FX100.

I wouldn't recommend. Works, but not great.

You get what you pay for. This camera is a decent deal, but I was unhappy with the quality of the pictures. Some turned out great, but most were a little bit blurry. I was happy with the price, but image quality was not what I would have expected. If you want a very basic, very simple camera this one might be for you. I would buy this camera again if I were giving it to a younger kid as their first basic camera.

I wouldn't recommend. Works, but not great.

from Boise, ID

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

Small but BIG!

from Kingfisher, OK

Comments about Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera:

THis camera is AMAZING. I know I have probably only touched the surface of what this camera can do. My husband gave this to me, and I love it. I have a neurological disorder that makes taking pictures difficult as I can't hold the camera still. This camera has image stabilization. That is the biggest reason I wanted this camera. I know they have come out with several new models since this one, but upon reviewing--it appears to me that this camera is probably the best of the "G" series that Canon has produced. This camera is So close to the quality of the larger DSL cameras, yet it fits right in my purse and is ready to use at a moments notice. I LOVE always having a camera with me as I just never know what cute things I will catch of my daughter. This camera fit the bill in size and cost. LOVE IT!!!

Portability
The BEST feature!

• Image Quality:
  • Battery Life:
  • Portability:

This is my first grown up camera and it rocks!

from Pasadena, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera:

My Dad gave me this Canon G9 camera when he realized how crappy my Sony Cybershot was.  He had been trying to give me photography lessons from afar because my pictures were so bad, but after seeing the Sony in person, he realized that it was not my fault. * Phew.*

When I first got the Canon, my first thought was **HOW COMPLICATED THIS IS GOING TO BE** but after using it for awhile, I am pleased beyond belief.

The Canon lets me adjust so many things I had never even heard of, including white balance and red eye reduction.  The white balance adjustments include settings for daylight, cloudy, flourescent, and others.  You can even customize it although I haven't gotten that far....I need more practice!

I am still getting the hang of it... learning and having trouble with certain colors and making them come out true.... but am getting better every day.  I am taking *very* pretty pictures if I do say so myself.

One of the best things about the Canon is that the manual is not horribly difficult to understand like so many technical device manuals are.  It's very easy.  I've read manuals for devices that didn't even tell you how to insert the battery until page 50.....that's just so wrong!

My Dad has since bought a Canon G10 and he says it is even better than the G9 so I will definitely get that model after I master this one.  Now stand still and do me a favor....

Say Cheese!

My Canon G9 Review

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera:

I used the Canon G9 while I lived in Japan for over a year and I put it to good use.  I wanted a phone that was powerful (could take pictures in RAW format), but also was small in size.  I've never owned a DSLR, so I thought having the G9 would be a good starting point.  The G9 took great pictures, but post-processing the pictures was very time consuming as well as taking up a lot of hard drive space.  Taking good pictures takes a lot of playing with the settings and getting proficient with the camera will take some effort.  If you take video with the camera, they are huge!  I had a 10 minute video that was over a gig, but probably since it's uncompressed and I'm not sure if any camera can compress on the fly.  I think this phone would make a great backup or a good entry level camera for photographers.  Unfortunately, the camera didn't help motivate me to purchase a DSLR, but I hope to get one in the future.

So Fly like a G9

from Oakland, NJ

Comments about Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera:

The Canon Powershot G9 Digital Camera is a wonderful camera. This camera is very easy to use and even the most tech illiterate people can use it. This is why I reccomend this camera to people because many times people who are taking pictures don't know technology very well and this camera does not confuse them. It makes taking a picture, viewing it, moving it, organizing, and deleting photos very easy and self-explanatory. Not only that it's quality is amazing. It takes beautiful pictures and makes everything a Kodak moment. It's a Canon and makes something a Kodak moment that's how great this camera is. It is built really well and is vey durable. I don't reccomend this obviously, but if you somehow happen to drop it, it should survive. However, being this good of a camera it can be costly for alot of people and is a big investement. Plus it is bulky and annoying to carry around although it looks cool being slick black colored. I reccomend this camera for anyone semi serious abou documenting important moments in their life.

The Canon PowerShot G9 Digital Camera is Canon's best camera yet

from Lancaster, PA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera:

I received the Canon Powershot G9 Digital Camera as a Christmas present a couple years ago.  I really wanted to expand my photography skills, and this camera has allowed me to do so!  It was very easy for me to figure out and use.  Even it you aren't too tech-savy, the camera comes with a great and easy to follow instruction manual.  This camera has a lot of really great features and the display panel helps me find the features with ease.  It is a really great camera to play around with and figure out.  I had a lot of fun discovering the endless features the the Canon Powershot G9 digital camera has to offer.  Another great thing about this camera is that it has a top of the line auto-focus feature.  It makes taking pictures of nature, sporting events, or pretty much anything you'll encounter, a breeze!  Plus, it has a solid build and structure.  I have,in fact, dropped the camera a couple of times, but it still works perfectly.  It is the best camera I have ever owned, and I highly recommend it to my friends.

Easy to nandle even for the amateur.

from Shiprock, NM

Comments about Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera:

This is such an excellent camera for great pictures, easy to use, do not have to be techno savvy. I bought this as my very first digital camera and an extremely impressed especially with all the different features; 12.1 megapixel,3.0 inch LCD screen for picture viewing. Which is all great for zooming into pictures, croping and enlarging pictures. All these are excellent features as well : Auto, P, Av, Tv, M, C1, C2, Special Scene (Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, Sports, Foliage, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, Aquarium, Underwater, Indoor, ISO 3200, Kids & Pets, Night Snapshot, Color Accent, Color Swap), Stitch Assist, Movie. My most favorite feature is the Movie feature, works like a camcorder. All you need is a lot of smart cards and easy to upload into your computer for movie making. Excellent camera. It might be just a bit bulky but is well worth the pictures you take.

SLR quality in bite-size form!

from Woodland Hills, CA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera:

Love this camera! I bought it after heavy research online, used on ebay. It was still great quality, barely used at all. The ease of use is incredible, and the pictures turn out great! Great zoom, clear and bright pictures, I love it! I always bring it to concerts, and my pictures turn out so great, they look like they could go in magazines! At concerts the professional photographers with their huge SLR's and massive lenses are always complimenting me on my camera, and telling me that it has basically all the capabilities that they do.

Takes Great Pictures

from Bristol, RI

Comments about Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera:

The Canon Power Shot camera takes excellent pictures that are very high quality. I recently received this camera as a birthday gift and already it has become the envy of several of my friends (many of whom are looking to purchase the camera). Its pretty easy to use the camera, however, I have had a little trouble hooking it up to my computer in order to upload photos. I don't attribute this problem to the camera itself, but rather the software that cannon gives you to upload pictures from your camera to your computer. Although uploading the pictures has been quirky for me, I would still recommend this camera to anyone as the images are crystal clear and excellent quality. This camera is also full of features and its pretty easy to adjust a setting (example- make pictures brighter or dimmer, add flash) Overall I think the cannon power-shot is an excellent camera that is perfect for amateur and professional photographers alike!

Best compact digital camera I have owned!

from Twin City, GA

Comments about Canon - PowerShot G9 Digital Camera:

After reviewing dozens of cameras both instores and online I chose the Canon Powershot G9. I chose this one because of the quality and price. I have owned it for two years now and have not experienced any promblems with it. It has taken thousands of pictures, been on many outdoor vactions, and been dropped many times; but it still works like brand new. I have never used any setting but the auto, although it has many different settings like fireworks, beach, and sports, all of my pictures come out true to life. One of my favorite features is the red eye correction, it never fails. I have made many 20 x 30 poster prints using this camera and they have all turned out very professional with no flaws. Some of the features of this camera are 12.1 megapixel resolution, 25 shooting modes including 9 special scene modes, movie mode which you can shoot high resolution movies, 3 inch lcd screen, comes with rechargable battery, and much more.The battery is a very long life battery. I have taken hundreds of pictures with it in one and still had a fully charged battery. The charge lasts a very long time.