2.7

2.7

Pros

Cons

• Content Variety/Availability:

you need to be in the loop with this

Alot of good features.Their triple play offer will definitely a money saver a good way to go if you would use all three services.They have 2 channel guides .One is for the lower channels and one for all the hd channels.The digital boxes are great but hey they do throw off alot of heat!!! If you are gonna travel they have a wonderful travel guide. it was nice to see the Disney parks before I left home and have a heads up. Optimium Auto and Home are both great for the arm chair late night surfing. These services are filled with all kinds of info on these products.A real nice way to shop. There is a nice basic digital package as well the premium packages available. One very important point i want to make I live in New Jersey so Cablevision has always offered me New York  stations and Philladelphia stations too. Something the telephone companies do not offfer. You can only get what they give you. Had I switched to the phone company I would have lost 12 channels minimum. If you are a sports fan you would miss alot.Not all local channels are equal. Cablevision also runs a sponsored news network not seen anywhere else. The installation and repair service is second to none and most issues are taken care of over the phone.

Cablevision has faulty billing system Verify your each bill.

Cablevision SUCKS..... They have too many billing errors. Finally frustrated with these billing error every month I disconnected my service on 08/01/2009. I paid my last bill over phone in FULL. I paid the whole amount the customerservice representative told me. And then almost after one year on 04/23/2010 I received a notice from a debt collection agency saying I own Cablevision $105.00. I was shocked with this notice and called Cablevision for clarification. Where they told me that that was their systems fault and our representative gave me a wrong amount. My next question was.. then why didn't you send me a notice or final bill... Why was this reported to a debt collection agency???? They had no answer... Long story short....... my credit history has badly affected because of Cablevision's faulty billing system........ I will never recommend this service to anyone.

Worse customer service - EVER!!!!!!!

from Stamford, CT

Comments about Cablevision:

We are now waiting for the second service call within 2 days FOR THE SAME PROBLEM!!!! The first tech could not either fix the problem or explain why 2 out of 3 tvs worked with Cablevision.

This company has NO concept that people have better things to do than sit around for 3 hours twice in two days to get a problem fixed. Instead of scheduling the first appointment of the day for the second visit we we're given the 11 -2 time frame (common sense would dictate that if the problem wasn't solved on the first visit, the second visit would be given the first appointment since the homeowner is being inconvenienced for the second time in 3 days), but no.....upon calling back to confirm the appointment I found out we were given an appointment at the end of the time frame. So, I have missed 2 days of work because of incompetence and poor planning on Cablevisions part.

Cablevsion customer for over 20 years

from Seaford, NY

Comments about Cablevision:

I use cablevision optimum for cable ,phone and internet access. The service is very good for internet and so-so for cable and not so hot for phone. I like channel 12 and the Cablevision channel selection and was not able to get comparable channels and a combo of internet/cable/phone at the competition. we did a comparison shop with Verizon and we would pay more for less. I have NEVER had a problem with internet speed.

Customer Service
Cablevision internet customer service is great, especially when they remote access your PC and fix things so you don't have to. We have had excellent service there... if you have a cable TV problem and they have to come to your house you can wait for days and days and the guy Optimum sends may not be qualified enough to help you. Often, in our experience, the people who come are fixing something the guy before them messed up.
Also, Everyone on my block who had Optimum phone had a phone outage problem for almost a year...we would lose phone service at the same time and we knew it because all of our burglar alarms went off simultaneously as we lost the phone service. Because it was an intermittent power problem Optimum kept telling us they could find nothing wrong until all of us got on a conference call with customer at the same time to report the problem. there was a power line issue they had to fix.

Reliability
Optimum is reliable most of the time. However, I miss the old days when you could lose power and still have a landline phone to call out. Cable vision was overwhelmed after Sandy and could work on a better more customer friendly contingency plan for similar events in the future. Some of the customer service reps were getting testy after Sandy and that didn't help. Most of us had power restored but no phone or cable for days waiting for Optimum to catch up. My neighbors and I were comparing notes to see if we were all getting the same run around.

Content Variety/Availability
Lots of channels to choose from but sometimes the channels disappear or move without a lot of notice or communication. Perhaps email blasts as well as the note in the bill that no one reads? or a postcard?

• Content Variety/Availability:

Would not switch back to cable

from Nesconset,ny

Comments about Cablevision:

I was a cablevision customer for a long time, but not willingly because of their outrages cancelation charges. Anyways, after my contract ended with the company I was with previously, I decided to switch to cablevision. They had a triple play deal that originally sounded good, but as they say if it sounds too good it's probably not. So the first bill I got was a double which I expected. The first problem started after about the fourth or fifth month when the premium channels I was supposed to be receiving as a part of the package I ordered stopped working and said I needed to call customer service. I did and accomplished nothing. They said it should be working and would not work out a deal with me to at least give me some sort of credit. Anyways about four months before my contract was up with them, I noticed fees and other little extras I've never seen before and contacted them. They tried playing it off like they were data charges and a bunch of garbage that wasn't true. I had to stick I with them because if I cancelled they wanted over three hundred dollars that I was not paying. After that I immediately switched to fios. I would never switch back to cable again after what I went through. They need better service and customer service.

from New Jersey

Comments about Cablevision:

We have had Cablevision for the past three years and have been very satisfied with this choice. Before we went with Cablevision I had decided to view many other options available but really wanted to make sure we would get the best cable, internet, and telephone package for the price. We choose Cablevision as first we have had less disruptions in our service going out with storms, except in cases such as the major ones we had a few years back. We also wanted to be sure our internet could deliver the speed we wanted which Cablevision does as our internet for all of our computers really works quite efficiently. The third part of our decision making process was to be sure we had good phone service that would not cut off if our computer was not working and sure enough the phone works great. We have been pretty happy with all three. Cablevision does offer new customers a good start by giving then great specials for a few years. We also wanted to be sure their customer service was very good as the last thing you want is to be on hold forever when you have a problem and customer service has been good as well.

Customer Service
good

Reliability
good

Content Variety/Availability
good

• Customer Service:
  • Content Variety/Availability:

If this is the only option get Netflix

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Cablevision:

I had Cablevision several years ago and had a bad experience with them. Like most relationships things are great in the beginning. I was given a great price and a lot extra packages for a low price. When they came to install the service I some how became part of the crew. I was connecting coaxial cables and helped thread them through the wall. I practically did a self installation, but of course I was charged a installation fee, which I did get a credit for after the field tech explained my participation to an customer service rep. Once I was up and running the service worked great on the basic channels, but for the extra packaged channels picture would constantly freeze. This went on for several days, then it would clear up for a couple of days. This process repeated itself for an entire month. I called to cancel the service and they tried to offer me another deal, but I refused to pay any amount for terrible service.

Good service but expensive

Comments about Cablevision:

I did really like Cablevision. I had it for years, over a decade actually. We never had any service issues on any of our three boxes. The picture was always clear and we didn't have any outages that I can remember. Our remotes did occasionally have to be replaced, but Cablevision made the process pretty painless. All I had to do was call them and they would send out a service person with our new remotes. The same was true for upgrading our boxes. When the HD boxes became all the rage, we swapped all of ours out and then later swapped those out for DVR boxes. You did have to hold for a long time to talk to customer service, but the representatives were always very polite and knowledgeable.

My issue with Cablevision was with price. Our bill kept creeping up every year and with very little warning. We started off paying $90 a month for our three boxes and then after the two year promotional period, the price jacked up to $130. There was no courtesy reminder or anything, we just received a bill that was suddenly higher than before. Then a year after that, we opened our bill and found it to be $170. Again we received no warning of the up charge and only received an explanation after calling Cablevision and asking for one. They did give us a credit for that first bill since we hadn't received a fair warning, but this is not an ethical way to conduct business and our bill had just gotten outrageous. I wish the billing issue could have been worked out because I really did like their service.

Content Variety/Availability
They had excellent variety packages, but they were so expensive! The only way we could have afforded to keep them was if we cut out all of the variety and stuck to the basics. Therefore, it's like not having any variety.

Cablevision's NEW guide is NOT improved

from Metuchen, NJ

Comments about Cablevision:

I've been a Cablevision customer for 30 years. The TV packages are good, but they really don't do anything for long-time customers.
Recently, they "upgraded" their cable guide. This is NOT an improvement.
1- The white lettering on black background is hard to read, especially if the lights are dim.
2- The guide frequently freezes after 11 PM, and then you have to wait for the box to re-set itself.
3- It takes more pushes on more buttons to accomplish anything.
4- They took away the VCR timers (probably so they could push their DVR recorders)
5- There are more problems with this guide, but Cablevision is not going to change any of it. They wasted our money (yes, OUR money, since we're paying for this)

Customer Service
Apparently they did not beta-test this new guide before inflicting it on customers

Reliability
Box freezes after 11 PM when you want to see what's on after midnight. My cableboxes NEVER froze before this new guide was introduced.

Content Variety/Availability
On demand programs not always available, or you get a "cannot be shown at this time, please try again later" message.

• Content Variety/Availability:

They charge you too much

Comments about Cablevision:

Cablevision plays games... each year they increase my rates "automatically" until I call like I do each year and say that I will switch to another carrier. It is remarkable that the rates get dropped and additional stations then get added. Don't just buy what they say.

they are slow

Reliability
they are slow to come to your home after you have cable vision

Content Variety/Availability
I have no idea why I have SO MANY Spanish and non-English stations that I could care less about and do not want to pay for

Excellent customer service

Comments about Cablevision:

Cablevision has a very excellent sales force and customer service team. I have been a Cablevision customer for over ten years, and they have always been very accommodative and responsive to my requests and needs. Paying my bill over the phone is extremely easy and quick, and whenever I have needed to go to a local store to replace hardware I have had a very pleasant experience. I would and have recommended Cablevision to family and friends. Their rates for cable TV, internet access and home telephone are very fair and competitive with other providers. The best thing, in my opinion, is that you do not need to ever sign a contract unlike with Verizon.

Customer Service
I have always been very happy with Cablevisions customer service. Every one of the representatives I have ever spoken to has been very helpful, accommodative and just generally pleasant.

Reliability
The service from Cablevision is always reliable. I have been a triple play customer for many years and have seldom had any issue with my television service, internet connection and home phone use. If there is ever a problem it is easily and quickly resolved by the customer service and repair force.

Content Variety/Availability
If there has ever been a channel that was not available with this provider it has not lasted long. The last channel I can remember not having access to was the NFL network, but it was available in no time.

Amazing cable

Comments about Cablevision:

I've had Cablevision for 10 years and will never change.
The overall connection is GREAT, the support is HELPFUL and there is no way I'll switch to a new network.

Customer Service
Very helpful and understanding, other cable companies should learn from Cablevision's customer service and be as helpful as them. They've offered me quick and reliable support with the very small amount of problems I've had. They are able to instantly resolve and problems or questions I have by bringing a brief and quick solution to any issue or concern. If I could, I'd give a 20/20 for Cablevision because they are absolutely wonderful at providing great support.

Reliability
I can always count on Cablevision to bring me new updates and their cheap prices and good cable is always reliable and my family and I can afford it very well. I don't have much problems with the service, sometimes I have it shut off maybe once a year but otherwise they offer me quick help and ALWAYS bring me back to connectivity.