2.5

• Customer Service:
    • Reliability:
    • Content Variety/Availability:

Worth the Wait

I've been waiting to get AT&T's newest bundle, U-verse, since they first came out with it towards the beginning of the year. Before I go any further with this review, I will be honest and mention that my husband is an employee for U-verse and is in fact in management. Yet stating that, I also feel I can be honest about my opinions of the product and the service.U-verse combines three services, phone, cable TV, and internet, not only just in one bundle, but also all feeding off the phone line and off of one wireless router connected to your computer. Because of this, it allows everything to inter-connect. To be honest, though, our cable services and satellite services already have this capability. However, it seems that U-verse seems to be utilizing it all in a better way.My only hangup with getting U-verse so far was getting people out here to do the work, and again, my husband is in management there. There was a problem with our line that they detected originally, so we had to wait for someone to come out and repair it. We then had to wait to be scheduled again. It took a few weeks altogether to get through this process, and I'm being told it's the paperwork that was holding it up. It was finally ready to be installed, but on that day, I was told by the installer that my DSL hadn't been cut yet and that could take a few hours. After that was cut, and I was held up in my work, they never came back. Luckily, my husband knew who to call for answers. It turns out to again by a paperwork wait, it was written up wrong, and we had to wait for that to go through again. I was told maybe the day after that, but also possibly not until the following week, but they restored my DSL while I waited.Two days later early in the morning at 7:00 AM, I lost my DSL again without warning. After some phone calls, it was confirmed that they had indeed shut me off in preparation for the install. This sent me to scheduling, and the earliest I could get in would be 24 hours later, the following afternoon. My DSL had to remain off all that time, but luckily I was picking up a very weak signal on my wifi that went in and out. It was frustrating to work under that, but was all I had. It just seemed to be not a good system, cutting people off completely, THEN scheduling them.Once the installer showed up, he was very knowledgeable and moved around setting it all up very quickly. While he reran the line through our house and set up the cable and internet, another worker joined him, working on the line outside, making sure we were getting the strongest signal possible. They worked as quickly as they could and seemed to be efficient, with it taking four hours start to finish.Finally having it set up and able to use it now, it's everything I was hoping for. You can pick and choose around different parts of your bundle. While our phone service we chose to keep the same, we upped the service of the internet, getting the highest speed available, but we didn't have to choose that and could have gone lower. My downloading seems to take place with lightning speed.The crowning glory, though, is the cable service. It is definitely a step up from DirecTV. While I had TiVo before, I still have a DVR, and while I could only record two channels at a time before, I can now do four, however it depends on if the other two receivers on the other TVs in the house are in use, as I can only have four different stations going at one time throughout. That's okay, as normally when I'm recording multiple TV shows it's during prime time and only one other TV is in use at that time. So that gives me three during prime time which is usually the most that I need. Following different shows and writing about them, I've had to pick and choose before, not being able to follow all that I needed or wanted to and this will definitely help. Coming in October will be the technology to have the other receivers in the house be able to watch what I have recorded on the DVR.While with DirecTV the actual guide and channels appeared differently whether you were using a standard receiver or the TiVo, with U-verse it appears the same no matter which you are using. While I never found the guide and service hard to follow before, it seems with U-verse it is just that much more user friendly to move about pages and services. Because it connects with your phone service and internet which with AT&T means Yahoo, you get Yellow Pages on your TV, weather from your home page, and Yahoo games (JT's Blocks, Solitaire, Sudoku, Chess, and Mahjong). It's kind of nice to be ble to play a simple game here and there without having to go through a game system.The crowning glory for me is the Video on Demand. While we had this service through Comcast cable before we had DirecTV it's so much better here. Before it was just a bunch of television shows I didn't care to watch, many that didn't even appear on regular TV, along with pay-per-view and a few movies from the premium movie channels. Gone with U-verse are the shows that I've never heard of before, and instead we have all the content from every premium channel on demand. All the Showtime series have the current episodes available to be watched at any time with no need to record. The specials appear the same way. And from what it looks like now, every movie that appears on this channels that month is available to watch whenever you want.Although he's the employee here, my husband usually isn't impressed with hi-tech gadgets or services. However, after all these years of having various premium channels, be it HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc., he's thrilled to not have to be constrained to just those handful of movies on every night. He found Hollywood Knights showing on video on demand on Fix and  Slapshot on RetroTV and he was hooked. Basically, we're all hooked in some way with this U-verse service. Had it not been for the difficulties getting to the installation point, they'd be getting four stars here, but that still bothers me, even though my U-verse was well worth the wait.

AT&T u-verse sucks! DO NOT GET!!!!

I ordered AT&T u-verse 4 months ago. The package I got was u-verse on two tvs, dvr, and high speed internet, about $100 a month.

**the...Read complete review

**the installation**: (after changing the arrival times and/or not even showing up) The first guy that came out took 4 hours, just to tell us they needed to run a new line. The 2nd guy came out in the around 9 at night to run the new line. He did not inform me when he showed up. He hooked up the new line and left, also not telling us that he finished. Customer support called 3 days later asking how we liked the service. They had not even been in the house yet to install ANYTHING!

**the installation cont.: **The 3rd guy that came out introduced himself and got to work. He checked for a signal and left to check the relaybox down the street about 4 times. After many trips up and down the street he sat in his truck for a hour. When he did get back to work he came in the house hooked up one tv and then went outside and drilled a whole straight through the wall ran a line and was finished within 15 minutes. Everything seemed to work fine.

**the service?:**After a day the tvs would blackout and the internet said there was a connection failure. As the days went on the tv and dvr would have blackouts that would last from a few seconds to 15 minutes. I called AT&T explained the problem. they walked me through a few resetting techniques, and sent someone out the next day.

**"the two bums(repair guys)": **Two repair guys came (a half day late) and got right to work. They were outside, inside, in the attic, down the street, they were running lines and checking things. After really not doing anything, they said they had to go down the street and check the relay-box AGAIN. Well this time they just didnt come back (it was about 5:00 on a Saturday). Once again a customer rep called asking how the "repair" went. I told them that noting was fixed and that the two repair guys left and didnt come back. The said they would sent someone back out the next day.

**finally fixed?: **The repair guy that came out was very professional and started to figure out the problem. He came back inside and said the previous repair guys had left the outside box's cover off.  He put it back on and said that he thought it was a bad dvr box, which he replaced. He tested everything and answered any questions that i might have had. Everything *seemed* to be fixed. No follow up call from customer service.

**same old problem: **Two days went by and, you guessed it, the same old problem. Throughout this whole ordeal there were numerous phone calls made to customer support and numerous resets and trouble shooting was performed over the phone (if i had to guess about 10). During many of the early phone calls the customer service reps said it was probably a problem with the router. I have been calling them at least once a day for the past week and they are helping me less and less every day. The installer/repair people have installed new equipment: Line from house to, new lines through the house, and new dvr box. The only thing that they have not replaced was the router(which was said to be the problem for the beginning, 3 months earlier).

I have yet to receive the $100 gift card that is issued when you sign up. Myself and roommate have had to take 3 days of work each, 6 total. Over 30 phone calls to customer support. And all we got? the same darn problems, more aggravation, less and less customer support and the bill every month (we did get a $50 credit, that's a joke).

**If i could give one bit of advice to anyone and everyone out there...Get DIREC*TV!*  I had it at my previous place and didn't have any problems that weren't fixed within a few minutes to a hour and/or credited for the problem. The installation, service, and customer service was GREAT!  Thank you DIREC*TV! *AT&T you guys havent done anything right**!!!

Extremely Aggressive Technician

from Chapel Hill, NC

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

My interactions with an AT&T Technician. I am thankful that I was home during this situation because that allowed me to intervene with this aggressive technician. After living abroad for several years, in China, I am visiting my disabled older mother to catch up, so it is very lucky that I was there. My mother discovered that she was being charged for a non-existent line to the house, a line that was supposedly canceled and removed 15 years ago. It seems for 3-4 years AT&T has been charging her for this line. She called the customer service and inquired what this was about and the service representative, who I have been told was nice, noticed the line and said that they could remove it. But, she said something about the internet, also through AT&T, being attached to this non-existent line. Thereby needing to send out a service technician to deal with checking the physical lines to ensure that the internet was attached to the correct physical line. Now understand this is how my mother understood what was told her by the representative on the phone. The day arrives for the technician to come.
The technician calls, his first statement, "I am on my way, what am I supposed to do?". Now my mother is not a telecommunications expert and can only go by what the previous representative said. She says that he should have a work order. The technician says there is no work order, and begins lecturing her about her needing to be able to tell him what he needs to do in specific detail. To the best of her ability and with her limited understanding of how the phones are set up she says what she thinks needs to be done. She tells him that she doesn't need the lecture. My mother ends the conversation, hangs up and begins calling the customer service to figure out why she is being treated rudely and what specifically this rude technician needs to do. This progresses to the technician yelling and insulting me after he arrives. This is not a safe man to be around. He never did any work.

Wish we never switched

from Sonoma CA

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

We switched from another provider because ATT promised faster speeds and slightly lower price. Service crashes almost daily, sometimes multiple times per day. Support is nonexistent. Cheap equipment and oh hey, rates have increased. Stay away

Wish I had never left!

from Toledo, Ohio

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

I had a bundle package for cable, internet and tv. Absolutely LOVED the tv service, didn't really need the phone, but had no issues at all with that. The internet was a tad bit slow, and they could never really get us the MB we were paying for, but for only getting 10 out of the 18 it still didn't give me too many issues. We had a price locked in (not through contract either), but once it was up we went from about $176 to $238. I was reluctant to leave, but couldn't afford that much of a price hike. I do regret going to to another company, as their service is TERRIBLE. Am now stuck in their 2 year contract with cruddyy television that cuts out TOO much and channels that suck unless you pay an arm and a leg. It may take some getting used to, but ATT U-Verse Is pretty dang good.

I love my phone company

from Ocala, Florida

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

I have been a customer through ATT for over five years now. I have never had a problem with their service and have always found their prices to be fair. I currently have a smartphone and use their "go phone" plan. My plan is I pay 50 dollars a month to have unlimited txt, talk and 10 gigs of data. Honestly, I use a lot of data and I have yet to ever run out. But in case the occasion calls for more data and I run out of the data I have, I can buy another gig as I need-but again I have never had to. I love this plan because it is cheap and there is no contract! So If I ever do change my mind and want to switch companies or change to a contract plan I always can. But, my husband and I both have our separate go phone plans and total only pay 100 dollars a month for our phones! Honestly, I don't see a better plan than that! Also, their customer service is always wonderful. I was actually steered towards this plan by a customer associate and was told if I didn't want to pay a lot and didn't want a contract I should qualify for this. The associates don't even make any commission off of these go phone plans so you know the company is honestly just there to try to help their customers be happy with the plan that they purchase and to stay happy with the company. I am about to buy the new iPhone that came out and I am buying it from a consumer website. (I normally buy my phones from places like eBay, gazelle, or other used phones for cheap) and just sign up for the plan. The customer service associates have never had a problem with this and are always happy to help me set up my new phone, and assist with transferring my numbers, and even helping me with the new phone that I did not even purchase from them! Overall I love this company and also have never had a problem with their service. Everywhere I go I always have service and have never had a problem with "dead zones". Other providers I have seen have my friends drop their calls or they never have service in certain areas.

Technical support

from Brookfield,Wi

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

When AT&T is working it is great. If something goes wrong good luck. This is the second time I had to go as far as the corporate office to get the help I needed. Today all service went out at 9:00 AM. Called an explained that we needed this service due to my husband's medical condition. All we needed was our home phone to work. All I got was the run around with no service until tomorrow. Unacceptable due to his condition. I would definitely think twice before getting this

Watch your bill very carefully and do not let billing say no

from Cleveland, Ohio

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

I was surprised how easy it was to have uverse set up in my home after grilling the chat representative. But the day came and I signed up for the middle 200 channel plus 40 mbps internet.

Cable is sloppily organized. The guide is set up with no logic between local channels, HD, other tiered content. Shockingly, there's even... interactive junk tv. It's whole channels of fantastic claims of how to tighten your neck skin over 50 years of age. I don't know why, but there's a lot of them, and they're slipped in between the channels you're actually looking for. So after a little more than month, I've been able to find FX, and Sci channels with little fuss, but that's about it. It took me ten minutes to find the HD local channel for last night's CLE basketball victory.

My first bill however was a baffling piece of incomprehensible fiction. And this is where my rating of AT&T uverse drops like a stone.

My bundle package included a dvr and a wireless reciever for a total of two tv's in the house. INCLUDED. I made very sure before commiting that there wouldn't be a fee, charge or rental or installation fee for any of the equipment. And yet, on the back of my 200.00 bill was a 49.00 one time fee. Calling C.S. and spent 3 hours arguing with the representative about the fee. She found out that it was for the wireless reciever one time use fee. After arguing about the validity of that fee, I asked her to tell me where to go in the contracts that makes that fee apparent.She put me on hold for 30 minutes and then came back and said that it's not there but "there's no notes on my account that it should be waived". To which I countered with, "How can you possibly charge a fee that I was never informed of, that doesn't exist anywhere in the contract... on the basis that no one told you not to?" She put me on hold for 20 more minutes then offered to give me a 20 dollar credit on my next bill. I told her to cancel my service immediately. She then waived the fee. WATCH YOUR BILL

ESPN3

from Davie, FL

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

Signed up with ATT/Uverse. Very upset when found out ESPN3 would not work on computer. I've watched games all the time with Comcast but with Uverse it would not work. I was on the phone with ATT for an hour and the tech was clueless. I asked to speak to a supervisor after 45 minutes and after holding for another 20 minutes, I hung up. Moral of the store, "stay with Comcast".

Bad Experiences

from Austin, TX.

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

Never make your calls towards the end of the day - you may encounter a huge waste of time. ATT U-verse did not honor an agreement with me; I did not go without a fight, so they said they would check into it with a 72hr call back (they were supposed to check the recording and if found honest they would indeed honor it - never got that call. Never call in the evening (more waste of time). In the end they said, since I made that deal that they did not honor I was locked in (i could not believe it), and would have to pay penalties, and adjustments, and my outrageous bill (in which was the reason I called in the first place - they raised my price.. again). So, I took their finial deal feeling absolutely trapped, cornered and forced. Yeah - I'm not going to be with them very long.

horrible service and communication

from indianapolis

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

I recently received a bill from AT&T uverse. I have not had their services in 3.5 years. When I first called to see what this bill was for they said they could not tell me because they couldn't pull up records from that long ago. Since I was late to something and had already been on the phone for an hour I requested they call me back later in the day. I never received that call. Today I get a call from collections saying that I needed to pay $154.00 so I called AT&T again. I had to explain the situation to 5 different people before I finally reached a VERY rude "manager" I was told several different things from every person that I spoke with and everyone seemed to contradict each other. For example: One person said there is no such thing as actually transferring billing responsibility, one account must be canceled and then a new one created. Another person told me that in actuality you can transfer the billing responsibility. One person told me that I have to request a final bill, which why would I do I thought I was transferring the billing responsibility, and that they won't send out the final bill without me requesting it. Another person told me that is not true, they want their money and will send out a bill. The original billing date changed from the first time I spoke with them to today. I could go on with these examples. What I do not understand is how I have continued to have their services for years without any sort of knowledge that I had a unsettled bill with them. How all of a sudden were they able to find me and send me a bill? Why hadn't this been done before? They tried to make the excuse that I never got the bill because I moved but I did put in a change of address form and had no problems with any of my other mail. The way I was treated by that final person I spoke with and the uncaring nature in which I was treated disgusts me. I have already cancelled my cell phone service with them and since they now own DirectTV will be canceling that as well.

horrible

from clarksville tn

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

if I could give a negative rating I would. Had ATT DSL service, "upgraded" to Uverse. Could not stream anything I could before on DSL! even after a tech visit. If I had any other option I would dump ATT in a heartbeat.
Would not recommend to anyone