2.5

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Reliability:
    • Content Variety/Availability:
    • I received a sample (22), I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (3)

Worth the Wait

I've been waiting to get AT&T's newest bundle, U-verse, since they first came out with it towards the beginning of the year. Before I go any further with this review, I will be honest and mention that my husband is an employee for U-verse and is in fact in management. Yet stating that, I also feel I can be honest about my opinions of the product and the service.U-verse combines three services, phone, cable TV, and internet, not only just in one bundle, but also all feeding off the phone line and off of one wireless router connected to your computer. Because of this, it allows everything to inter-connect. To be honest, though, our cable services and satellite services already have this capability. However, it seems that U-verse seems to be utilizing it all in a better way.My only hangup with getting U-verse so far was getting people out here to do the work, and again, my husband is in management there. There was a problem with our line that they detected originally, so we had to wait for someone to come out and repair it. We then had to wait to be scheduled again. It took a few weeks altogether to get through this process, and I'm being told it's the paperwork that was holding it up. It was finally ready to be installed, but on that day, I was told by the installer that my DSL hadn't been cut yet and that could take a few hours. After that was cut, and I was held up in my work, they never came back. Luckily, my husband knew who to call for answers. It turns out to again by a paperwork wait, it was written up wrong, and we had to wait for that to go through again. I was told maybe the day after that, but also possibly not until the following week, but they restored my DSL while I waited.Two days later early in the morning at 7:00 AM, I lost my DSL again without warning. After some phone calls, it was confirmed that they had indeed shut me off in preparation for the install. This sent me to scheduling, and the earliest I could get in would be 24 hours later, the following afternoon. My DSL had to remain off all that time, but luckily I was picking up a very weak signal on my wifi that went in and out. It was frustrating to work under that, but was all I had. It just seemed to be not a good system, cutting people off completely, THEN scheduling them.Once the installer showed up, he was very knowledgeable and moved around setting it all up very quickly. While he reran the line through our house and set up the cable and internet, another worker joined him, working on the line outside, making sure we were getting the strongest signal possible. They worked as quickly as they could and seemed to be efficient, with it taking four hours start to finish.Finally having it set up and able to use it now, it's everything I was hoping for. You can pick and choose around different parts of your bundle. While our phone service we chose to keep the same, we upped the service of the internet, getting the highest speed available, but we didn't have to choose that and could have gone lower. My downloading seems to take place with lightning speed.The crowning glory, though, is the cable service. It is definitely a step up from DirecTV. While I had TiVo before, I still have a DVR, and while I could only record two channels at a time before, I can now do four, however it depends on if the other two receivers on the other TVs in the house are in use, as I can only have four different stations going at one time throughout. That's okay, as normally when I'm recording multiple TV shows it's during prime time and only one other TV is in use at that time. So that gives me three during prime time which is usually the most that I need. Following different shows and writing about them, I've had to pick and choose before, not being able to follow all that I needed or wanted to and this will definitely help. Coming in October will be the technology to have the other receivers in the house be able to watch what I have recorded on the DVR.While with DirecTV the actual guide and channels appeared differently whether you were using a standard receiver or the TiVo, with U-verse it appears the same no matter which you are using. While I never found the guide and service hard to follow before, it seems with U-verse it is just that much more user friendly to move about pages and services. Because it connects with your phone service and internet which with AT&T means Yahoo, you get Yellow Pages on your TV, weather from your home page, and Yahoo games (JT's Blocks, Solitaire, Sudoku, Chess, and Mahjong). It's kind of nice to be ble to play a simple game here and there without having to go through a game system.The crowning glory for me is the Video on Demand. While we had this service through Comcast cable before we had DirecTV it's so much better here. Before it was just a bunch of television shows I didn't care to watch, many that didn't even appear on regular TV, along with pay-per-view and a few movies from the premium movie channels. Gone with U-verse are the shows that I've never heard of before, and instead we have all the content from every premium channel on demand. All the Showtime series have the current episodes available to be watched at any time with no need to record. The specials appear the same way. And from what it looks like now, every movie that appears on this channels that month is available to watch whenever you want.Although he's the employee here, my husband usually isn't impressed with hi-tech gadgets or services. However, after all these years of having various premium channels, be it HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc., he's thrilled to not have to be constrained to just those handful of movies on every night. He found Hollywood Knights showing on video on demand on Fix and  Slapshot on RetroTV and he was hooked. Basically, we're all hooked in some way with this U-verse service. Had it not been for the difficulties getting to the installation point, they'd be getting four stars here, but that still bothers me, even though my U-verse was well worth the wait.

AT&T u-verse sucks! DO NOT GET!!!!

I ordered AT&T u-verse 4 months ago. The package I got was u-verse on two tvs, dvr, and high speed internet, about $100 a month.

**the...Read complete review

**the installation**: (after changing the arrival times and/or not even showing up) The first guy that came out took 4 hours, just to tell us they needed to run a new line. The 2nd guy came out in the around 9 at night to run the new line. He did not inform me when he showed up. He hooked up the new line and left, also not telling us that he finished. Customer support called 3 days later asking how we liked the service. They had not even been in the house yet to install ANYTHING!

**the installation cont.: **The 3rd guy that came out introduced himself and got to work. He checked for a signal and left to check the relaybox down the street about 4 times. After many trips up and down the street he sat in his truck for a hour. When he did get back to work he came in the house hooked up one tv and then went outside and drilled a whole straight through the wall ran a line and was finished within 15 minutes. Everything seemed to work fine.

**the service?:**After a day the tvs would blackout and the internet said there was a connection failure. As the days went on the tv and dvr would have blackouts that would last from a few seconds to 15 minutes. I called AT&T explained the problem. they walked me through a few resetting techniques, and sent someone out the next day.

**"the two bums(repair guys)": **Two repair guys came (a half day late) and got right to work. They were outside, inside, in the attic, down the street, they were running lines and checking things. After really not doing anything, they said they had to go down the street and check the relay-box AGAIN. Well this time they just didnt come back (it was about 5:00 on a Saturday). Once again a customer rep called asking how the "repair" went. I told them that noting was fixed and that the two repair guys left and didnt come back. The said they would sent someone back out the next day.

**finally fixed?: **The repair guy that came out was very professional and started to figure out the problem. He came back inside and said the previous repair guys had left the outside box's cover off.  He put it back on and said that he thought it was a bad dvr box, which he replaced. He tested everything and answered any questions that i might have had. Everything *seemed* to be fixed. No follow up call from customer service.

**same old problem: **Two days went by and, you guessed it, the same old problem. Throughout this whole ordeal there were numerous phone calls made to customer support and numerous resets and trouble shooting was performed over the phone (if i had to guess about 10). During many of the early phone calls the customer service reps said it was probably a problem with the router. I have been calling them at least once a day for the past week and they are helping me less and less every day. The installer/repair people have installed new equipment: Line from house to, new lines through the house, and new dvr box. The only thing that they have not replaced was the router(which was said to be the problem for the beginning, 3 months earlier).

I have yet to receive the $100 gift card that is issued when you sign up. Myself and roommate have had to take 3 days of work each, 6 total. Over 30 phone calls to customer support. And all we got? the same darn problems, more aggravation, less and less customer support and the bill every month (we did get a $50 credit, that's a joke).

**If i could give one bit of advice to anyone and everyone out there...Get DIREC*TV!*  I had it at my previous place and didn't have any problems that weren't fixed within a few minutes to a hour and/or credited for the problem. The installation, service, and customer service was GREAT!  Thank you DIREC*TV! *AT&T you guys havent done anything right**!!!

Just another big poor tv service company

from Columbus Ohio

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

I have been a cable and internet customer with ATT Uverse for over 10 years. The past year has seen the service go off the cliff! The internet is poor and slow. I can't watch tv and use two computers at the same time. The price has been going up $20 per month!! When I call, it's someone from a foreign country- India who can't understand me or be understood either. Then I say I'm cancelling and bingo I'm switched to an American rep. Well this rep says they will give me some price relief. Come to find out he actually INCREASED MY BILL!!! I'm done. There really aren't many options for people regarding tv and these companies know it. They just don't care.

Lots of kinks to work out.

from Londonderry, NH

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

AT&T direct TV dish user. I have frequently felt taken advantage of by at&t, but the cable company is different. I feel I have gotten responsive customer service and they do offer a wide variety of channels and the cost is competitive. I don't like the technology or their guide or the layout at all. Rarely have I ever had an issue with our service going out in multiple years. Any issues we have ever had have been resolved nearly immediately. Also the people one the phone are from the USA!

Door to door, you bet!

from 44122

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

Moved to the area where Time Warner (TW) was our cable/broadband provider. Terrible service doesn't begin to describe it. Never in my wildest dread did I ever think I would buy anything from a door to door saleswoman. I couldn't sign up fast enough. Not as much b/c it was ATT, but b/c it wasn't TW. Well to my pleasure service was excellent. Never had broadband or cable issues which was a big change. My one disappointment was when my triple play ended and happened to coincide by one day with my wife losing her job and the price going up $100/m they refused to help retain us. It cost them business with us dropping our phone and cable service.

I have been a At&T user for many years now

from Fort Smith Arkansas

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

I am currently an AT&T customer. I have been with AT&T for over 5 years. AT&T has a great customer satisfaction policy. When they partnered with Direct Tv and started the bundle packaging it made it so much easier to pay my bill all in one place. AT&T also has a wonderful movers program and when the technicians come to your home they are friendly and fast. AT&T is the best place to get your wireless and home service's.

Great service, high prices

from Georgia

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

I have been with DirecTv for over 10 years. Everything was great until they merged with AT&T. Now the prices keep increasing and the service gets worse. The mention of a raindrop and the satellite shuts down. Thankfully, the technicians are friendly and patient.

The best cable television service is at&t

from Seattle WA

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

My interactions with an AT&T Technician. I am thankful that I was home during this situation because that allowed me to intervene with this aggressive technician. After living abroad for several years, in China, I am visiting my disabled older mother to catch up, so it is very lucky that I was there. My mother discovered that she was being charged for a non-existent line to the house, a line that was supposedly canceled and removed 15 years ago. It seems for 3-4 years AT&T has been charging her for this line. She called the customer service and inquired what this was about and the service representative, who I have been told was nice, noticed the line and said that they could remove it. But, she said something about the internet, also through AT&T, being attached to this non-existent line. Thereby needing to send out a service technician to deal with checking the physical lines to ensure that the internet was attached to the correct physical line. Now understand this is how my mother understood what was told her by the representative on the phone. The day arrives for the technician to come.
The technician calls, his first statement, "I am on my way, what am I supposed to do?". Now my mother is not a telecommunications expert and can only go by what the previous representative said. She says that he should have a work order. The technician says there is no work order, and begins lecturing her about her needing to be able to tell him what he needs to do in specific detail. To the best of her ability and with her limited understanding of how the phones are set up she says what she thinks needs to be done. She tells him that she doesn't need the lecture. My mother ends the conversation, hangs up and begins calling the customer service to figure out why she is being treated rudely and what specifically this rude technician needs to do. This progresses to the technician yelling and insulting me after he arrives. This is not a safe man to be around. He never did any work.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

reconnecting going wrong

from Houston,Texas

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

Frost big mistake partnering  with DirctTv.  Because not  only At&t looks bad but DirctTv look bad too. Cuz they cant keep appointment  of there customes. They change apointment with out telling consumer. So it is a bad start reconnecting with At&t.

Love it

from Poplar Bluff Missouri

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

We love it for our family. Great service from hookup and daily. Yes in bad weather occasionally it will go out. 4xs in 5 months not bad. And that was nit very long at all.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Don't bother

from Maryville, TN

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

The install was great. Professional. The service itself is horrible. We supposedly have the fastest of the fast internet but the only thing it lacks is the dial up sound. The cable constantly freezes and has to be reset. Not worth it but we didn't have a choice since we live in a brand new subdivision and they are the only ines in the area as of yet. Some of the neighbors have the dish through At't and state it's just as bad. They Also have stated the internet speed or lack thereof is a joke

Would give no stars

from Wakefield Subdivision in Anderson SC

Comments about AT&T U-verse Service:

We used to have Charter Internet. It never had any problems, was fast, never had to reset the router.

Then we moved.

This area only had AT&T U-Verse available. Oh, alright, cool. It takes about a week for someone to get here to set it up. But hey, gotta give it a chance, right?
Off the bat, we had to reset the router about twice a day for the Internet to even work. It's just gotten worse.
Now, the Internet will go from downloading 1 Mb to nothing, going up and down twice in ten seconds. MY MOBILE HOTSPOT IS FASTER THAN OUR INTERNET SERVICE.
The problem is not my computer. I was playing a game and it was absolutely unplayable thanks to the terrible speed. So, I decided to try out my mobile hotpot. After switching connections the game ran perfectly.
That's just sad.
I can't have an MMO open for longer than ten minutes without being disconnected. My FPS will go from 40 to 20 about thirty times in a minute.
This is horrendous. This is unacceptable.
Charter, please give our area service.