4.1
CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover

CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover

4.1

My Shower Sparkles Like New

The first time I used **CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover** was many years ago when I lived in an apartment that had rusty water.  The inside of the dishwasher would get stained with rusty blotches and I was at a loss as to how to get it clean.  Someone recommended running a dishwasher cycle with **CLR** in the detergent compartment.  I did so, and was thrilled that when I opened the dishwasher door I was greeted with a sparkling white interior.  This stuff really blasts through rust stains.

Fast forward several years, and I remembered that **CLR** can also power through hard water and calcium deposits.  I bought a bottle to attack my shower faucet.  I had recently noticed that the water coming through my showerhead had lost its forcefulness.  Over time, the shower spray had gotten pretty wimpy and I hoped **CLR** would clear out the calcium deposits from the showerhead so that I could get my invigorating shower back.  Happily, CLR not only cleared out the nozzles on the showerhead, but it provided an added benefit.  I had accidentally spilled some of the **CLR **on the faucet, and when I wiped it off, the faucet was absolutely glistening!  What a happy accident.

Overall, my opinion of **CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover** is that it is a great product for occasional use.  It's quite powerful , toxic, and not eco-friendly, so I would only use it for the toughest jobs that gentler cleaning products couldn't handle.

CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover Does Not Work Like It Says

CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover was disappointing to me. I was really surprised after all the hype I had heard. I thought this would work wonders on removing calcium, lime and rust. It is supposed to dissolve through calcium, lime and rust, but it barely does. You can use this on tubs, sinks, toilet bowls, glass, chrome and stainless steel. I only tried this on my tubs, toilet bowls and sinks. It did an average job. I also tried this on glass and it cleaned it, but it also left smudges. I did not use it on my coffeepots, as I did not think that would be a good idea. I think it would be too harsh on it. It says you can use this outside on cement and stucco too. I think it performs below average. It removed rust from some of the problem areas, but it did not get all of it. I would say it got maybe 40 % of it. You can use this on countertops for disinfecting and stain removal, but I would not use this for dusting. I think the ingredients in this would be too dangerous for dusting. The smell was over-the-top, but not in a good way. Translation, I did not like the smell. CLR did not instantly remove anything I tried it on. It is simple to use. You just mix warm water with the CLR. You have to rinse the things you used it on thoroughly when done. It comes in a medium to large container that is shaped oddly, with a big handle and it has big writing on it. It cost too much because of the way it works. I hope they come up with a better version for getting rid of calcium, lime and rust because I will “not” be buying this one again anytime soon.

doesn't work like it used to

from Canada

About Me Professional Cleaner

Pros

Cons

• Weak Function

Comments about CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover:

CLR was a decent product, although way overpriced, years ago when it contained phosphoric (strong) and citric (weak) acids. In an effort to go greener they've changed the formulation and gone to lactic acid as the key component which is an extremely mild, and not very effective descaler. Anyone who's used the product for a number of years will tell you it doesn't work like it used to. It just won't with the new formulation. a decent descaler, rust, calcium, and lime descaler will work in less than one minute. Soaking something in CLR for an hour or two is ridiculous.

Save your time, effort, and money and buy "greener" and far more effective products.

waste of money

from Cheyenne, WY

About Me Casual Cleaner

Pros

Cons

• Weak Function

• Cleaning
        • Home

Comments about CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover:

We tried this CLR on both of our toilets as we have a well and get calcium or other stains, not really sure what they are. It did absolutely nothing at all. After trying their instructions and nothing happened, I sprayed it on and let it sit. It still didn't take ANY of the staining away. I could have spraying water for all this product did. Totally useless for our well water stains.

Doesn't work too well on rust, but good on lime and calcium

from Westchester, IL

Comments about CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover:

I used CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover several years ago on rust, calcium, and lime build up on objects in my house. I first used this solution on some rusty tools. I followed the instructions to the letter and it didn't yield great results. There was less rust on my tools, but I could have gotten the same results with warm water and soap. I used this product on calcium deposits on my shower-head and it did a decent job of unclogging some of the holes on my first attempt. I repeated the process and scrubbed the nozzle for a longer period of time and it really made a huge difference. It made my shower-head sprays water out like the first day I installed it. I also used this product to get rid of lime on my bathroom tiles. All it took was a little of CLR and a S.O.S Pad to get rid of the lime in a matter of minutes. I would definitely recommend CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover for lime and calcium, but not for getting rid of rust.

Amazing Cleaner

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover:

Talk about an amazing cleaner that can tackle some of the hardest jobs I have ever had to clean. The CLR cleaner is great at handling calcium, lime and rust that has built up and accumulated anywhere inside or outside your home. I have used it several times and purchased it again after my first bottle. I have renewed our old shower heads that had build up on the sprayer portion causing it to be less powerful than when we bought it. I took the shower head off the pipe and soaked it in the CLR for about two hours while I did some other cleaning. When I came back the thing looked like new, I did not have to scrub it or anything, the soak took care of all the buildup. I am also a photographer so I am always looking for great props, many times this means rescuing something old and dirty that needs a good cleaning. I have found many little antique metal trinkets that have rusted over and are less than appealing. A good soak in the CLR has made them all look amazing without compromising the item itself. I love this cleaner and will be sure to always have some in my cabinet.

Does great for calcium and lime but the rust part needs work.

from West Virginia

Comments about CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover:

We bought this because all of our pipes are galvanized and copper. The house was built in 1968 or 1969 and as far as I know, all but a few of the pipes under the sinks are original so we have had tons of issues with calcium and lime build up. We've also noticed lots of rust.

I opted to get this because the commercials are so catchy. I even went around for a week telling my guy to CLR it as we were working on the pipes.

Overall it did a great job with the calcium and lime deposits. I soaked all of our faucet handles and spigots. I even soaked the shower head. We flushed the pipes with this and I put some in a spritz bottle as we were under the floor and spritz the pipes and noticed it pulling it off of them as well. It did a fantastic job compared to just using regular cleaners.

As far as the rust goes, it didn't do as much as I would like. I know that rust eats through the metal but even after using this, I noticed that there was a lot of rust chips and orange tint still coming through the pipes. It may have did a better job than I realize but I would have liked better results.

Pros of this is that it does a good job on calcium and lime. It does okay on rust.

Cons of this are that the smell isn't great and that you have to be extra careful not to get it on yourself which is often more difficult than you would think. I covered up with sleeves and a mask just incase because I would rather err on the side of caution. Also, takes a while before you can use the water--we ran it for about an hour to flush the pipes out.

Did a great job getting the calcium and lime deposits off of my stainless steel, galvanized pipes, and copper pipes.

Not the most appealing scent to me. It's not too harsh or gross, but it's chemically and I don't like to breathe it in.

Excellent Multi-Purpose Cleaner

from Des Moines, IA

Comments about CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover:

I've found CLR to be effective in many household and outside the home uses. When my heater core in my car has plugged up, a mechanic recommended I flush CLR through my system. In doing so, I couldn't believe how much grime came out of my system, and that my heat actually worked. It took many attempts before I got all the grime out of my system, but after many unsuccessful attempts with only water, I found this to be the most effective. I would have never thought to try CLR for this. You'd be surprised at how many areas of your life you can use CLR for.

I have fairly hard water at my house and it leaves my shower head scummy and crusty. I tried all the home remedies to clean off the shower head, from vinegar, to bleach, and more, but nothing was breaking up the hard water stains I had. I soaked the head in some CLR and it finally came off.

It's a very chemical scent, which I don't particularly like. However, I always make sure to clean it out thoroughly when I'm done and the scent is gone.

Terrific product does what it claims!

Comments about CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover:

Years ago we purchased a home that had bad rust stains on all the plumbing fixtures. I tried scrubbing with many products and although I felt things were as clean as I could get them, there was still that rust stain, like where the water dripped from the tub spout and around the inside of that water line in the toilet. I searched and tried many products before a salesperson recommended I try Calcium Lime and Rust remover.

It still took a fair amount of elbow grease, but with the CLR cleaner, I was able to get my fixtures clean and looking great again. I continued to used the product intermittently with my normal cleaning routine, and avoided having any future build up of rust problems. I recommended this to several friends and family members who had similar problems and all who tried it were extremely happy with the results as well. I would definitely continue to recommend and know if I have a need in the future, I would be buying this product.

It has been years since I used this but I can't recall it being a heavily scented product.

This product is a deep cleaner, but be careful!

Comments about CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover:

I have hard water at my house and I was trying several different products to clean my bathtubs and toilets to remove the hard water rings. I purchased this product and it worked amazing at removing the hard water stains. Not the best smelling cleaner. Typically one would want a refreshing long lasting clean smell and this product does not provide that. I stored this product in my garage (which has a cement floor) it accidently spilled and it actually ate through the cement floor. I would be very careful when storing this product because it clearly ate through cement floors.

After trying multiple multiple purpose and bathroom cleaners to remove the hard water stains in my bathtub and toilet, this was the only product that completely removed the hard water stain the very first time.

The smell of this product does not have the typically cleaning supply smell. It is not clean, refreshing, and long lasting clean smell.

I found this to be a waste of money

Comments about CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover:

I bought this after buying a house that needed some serious cleaning, I thought this would help out a whole lot in the bath tubs. What a waste of money and time. I needed up having to clean again after with another product just to get the tub clean. Not what I was expecting and I was very disappointed. It just did nothing, even with a whole lot of muscle, it just didn't do what it says it should.

CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover is my trusted brand!

from Fort Worth, Texas

Comments about CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover:

In my line of work a good cleaning product is what I am always needing and looking for. I seen the CLR Calcium Lime and Rust Remover on a TV advertisement and decided I had to try it. That was six years ago. I absolutely love this remover. It really works by removing lime, calcium, and rust off of anything. I first used this product at my business cleaning homes and buildings. I used this cleaner to clean the rust stains off of toilets and bath tubs. It cleans shower heads perfect. The way you have to use this product though is sometimes difficult. You have to put a reasonable amount in a bowl or mop bucket and dip the items you want cleaned inside. It takes the rust, lime, and calcium right off. The things cleaned with this product come out looking shiny and brand new. I also use this product to clean my silver. Nothing else gets it as clean as the CLR Calcium, Rust, & Lime remover.