4.9

Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish

4.9

Pros

Cons

Sparkle! Chrome, brass, glass stovetops, stainless, porcelain...

Blessings on the man who invented **Bar Keepers Friend**.  That was in 1882, and  the need for cleaning brass and copper on ornate fixtures in saloons of the time was what inspired him.       A softer-consistency cleanser than others, **BKF** is gentle enough to be used on glass cooktops, chrome, unlacquered copper, brass, bronze, non-anodized aluminum, fiberglass, formica and -- my favorites -- bathtubs, sinks (porcelain and stainless steel) and tile walls.  Companies including *West Bend, Ekco, Tappan, Jenn-Air, Eljer, Delta Faucet,* and *Pella* are among those that recommend **Bar Keepers Friend** for use on their products.     Even before green was Green and humanitarians cared, BKF involved no animal testing, contained no hazardous chemicals, had no phosphates, and was safe for septic tanks.       And so it remains today.  The caution listed on the can reminds us that oxalic acid is a part of the BKF formula that you don't want to get in your eyes (flush with water) or swallow (drink milk and call your doctor).  But for a cleansing product of any sort that is *de riguer*.     I sprinkle **Bar Keepers Friend** on a thoroughly wet cloth, rub the surface gently, rinse, and towel dry the sink or tub, etc. for the polished effect that, frankly, delights me.  For stubborn stains, I make a paste, dab it on the rusty spot (or whatever) and leave it for no longer than a minute.  Stains that have accumulated over time will disappear after regular use of **BKF**.  More frequent cleanings will prevent stains from grabbing hold in the first place.  Sometimes, **BKF** rattles in the can and seems stuck.  I just whack the cardboard container against the counter and get back to work.     Please read *www.barkeepersfriend.com* for detailed cleaning tips, store locator, special uses, and online ordering.  **BKF** doesn't make promises it can't keep.  Although several customers have had good luck cleaning aluminum siding and RVs, the **BKF** company advises against taking chances for fear there may be dulling or discoloration.In checking the website, you'll find the company covers the bases from copper-bottomed pots to fiberglass boats.     With that kind of detailed caring, it's no wonder **Bar Keepers Friend** has been around for 127 years!

Bar Keepers Friend isn't always friendly but it is helpful.

Bar Keepers Friend has a lot of pluses. It is an inexpensive cleaner and it really is a non-abrasive cleaner too. Bar Keepers Friend comes in a can like Comet. I think it is less abrasive but more toxic which makes it good for some jobs but not all that "friendly" for others.

**I've used Bar Keepers Friend for:**

-drips baked onto my stainless steel crock-pot

-burner plates on the stovetop with an icky sticky mess

-the bottom of the trash cans where there's stuck on stuff

-cleaning up rust spots on metals I am getting ready to give a fresh coat of spray paint

Bar Keepers Friend has a pretty strong chemical smell. I wouldn't use it in a closed in space without ventilation. It's certainly not a green cleaning product. You will need to RINSE REALLY WELL.

***My Viewpoint: ***Not every product can be tough and green and friendly too. Bar Keepers Friend is certainly an effective and economical cleaner for some tough jobs if used as directed.

The best for stainless steel!!

from Phoenix

About Me Homeowner

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Efficient
  • Powerful

Cons

• Cleaning

Comments about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish:

This is a powder so I would not recommend on surfaces like enamel(bathtubs etc), but on stainless steel sinks…omg fabulous! We moved into a home that had some stains in the sink, almost looked like grease spots and I tried several other products that did nothing. I thought I'd have to live with it (I'd been trying for over a year). Then I heard about this product and thought I'd give it a try. It's pretty inexpensive too which is great! It took a bit of elbow grease, but my sink looked almost new. It was shiny and the water actually beaded up on the surface. Then I went after the textured floor of our walk in shower where there was always a set in, dirty look, even after I cleaned with other products…FIXED! Then tried it on the grout lines on our tiled floor-like magic, restored them to their original color. Wish I had tried that before I restained and sealed the entire kitchen!!! I have 2 or 3 extra in my cabinet for friends or just me so I don't ever run out.

awesome product

Comments about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish:

This is one of the best cleaners you can use. I am a little OCD and I enjoy cleaning, I clean all the time. I don't know how I never knew about Bar Keepers Friend for so long. A good friend of mine introduced me to it just a little over a month ago, and I love it. I have gone crazy cleaning everything with this. I love cleaners that you can use on a wide variety of things. I've cleaned pots and pans, counter tops, works so well on the oven and I even use it to clean in the bathroom. It does such a fantastic job cutting grease and grime and just overall getting things sparkly clean. Some products can have such a harsh chemical smell they can be overwhelming to clean with after just a few minutes, but I have no trouble using this. The scent isn't to overpowering, I do prefer to use gloves when I clean with this as it does sometimes dry out my hands. It is a great value at a great price, absolutely wonderful product I highly recommend to anyone whose never tried it.

Great for a stove top!

Comments about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish:

My husband and I recently purchased a flat top stove. We love how it looks and works but it is impossible to clean. We have a really difficult time getting all the caked up grime off the top of it. Someone recommended we try Bar Keeper and it has been the best thing we have ever used on it. It has worked wonders on our stove top. It really does a great job at getting the stove top clean. It still requires some time and elbow grease. However, it has been the most effective cleaner we have found yet. It is also not hard to use and lasts for a long period of time. I would definitely recommend this for cleaning off stove tops. It has worked great for us and we will continue to use it.

The performance has been great for us. It is the most effective cleaner I have found when it comes to cleaning a flat stove top off. It really works to clean the toughest places on my stove.

The scent is fine. It does not have a very strong scent at all.

no such thing as a tough stain

Comments about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish:

As a cleaning product I do not think I have ever found anything better at taking care of tough stains. Especially when those tough stains are in a sink or even the toilet. I wouldn't recommend it as a multiple purpose cleaner because the abrasive powder did scratch my counter tops and I did have to resurface them but as a stain remover on sinks and toilets it is one of a kind. There is no need to get the powder wet just put it on the stain and scrub with a moist cloth and viola your stain is gone.

For the purpose intended this is a fantastic cleaner with unbelievable stain remover ability but it does need to stay to the purpose intended. This is not a great cleaner for counter tops carpets or furniture because it is to abrasive.

I am not a huge fan of the scent. This cleaner smelled to much like powdered bleach which never has been and never will be an enjoyable smell to me.

Better Than Ajax or Comet

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish:

Bar Keeper's Friend is even better than Ajax or Coment, and it isn't as harsh as a product as either one of those. It has a wide array of uses, and I've used it on just about every surface because how gentle of a cleaner it is. I've cleaned chrome, brass, copper, bronze, tile in my bathroom, my kitchen countertops, and both of my sinks with are stainless steel with Barkeeper's Friend. Also, I have cleaned rust off my bathtub, which I couldn't get any other cleaner in my cabinet to do. It's a really awesome invention.

There isn't anything this cannot clean. It can clean grease, burnt-on foods in ovens, years build-up of dirt and grime, rust and soap scum.

This is one of the few products I have used that doesn't have a scent. I've used this without gloves and it didn't do any damage to my hands. I wouldn't suggest doing this, but I wanted to see how gentle because it has no scent. Other products dry out my hands when I don't wear gloves, but this didn't. I don't know if it's all natural, but it sure looks like it.

Bar Keepers, Housewife's, Everybody's Friend!

Comments about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish:

Have never found any other cleaner that worked so well in my bathroom and kitchen. I have ceramic sinks and with just a sprinkle of this on damp surface, a damp sponge or paper towel will clean up any dirt or (in the case of the kitchen sink,) black skuff marks from skillets and pans easy-peasy!! No kidding...it works. I also use it on my stainless steel back splash over my stove. It cleans the splattered grease and shines like new!!

UPDATE: Yesterday I used it to clean the interior stainless steel walls of my microwave/convection oven. I had neglected it for way too long and had grease baked onto the walls and a greasy film covering the surface. It was bad!! After almost an hour of scrubbing with a paste of this cleaner on a nylon mesh scrubber I was amazed at the results I had attained. I had shiny walls again!!! No kidding, no exaggerating!!! I wish I could post a picture as proof!!!

Best cleaner for sinks, counters, stove top, back splash, and appliances! A sprinkle is all you need. And...even though it cleans like an abrasive cleaner, it isn't, it doesn't scratch surfaces.

The scent isn't overbearing but I can't say it is pleasant either. It's a cleaner not a room deodorizer!

A keeper!

from Liberty, KY

Comments about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish:

We like this better than Comet or even Ajax powdered cleansers. This brand does not scratch or leave any kind of residue. We use it scrub our counter tops, sinks, tubs, and most surfaces in our kitchen and bathroom. We've even used it to clean silverware with no problems and lots of shine afterwards. Our favorite way to use it for the brightest shin is to add water to make a paste and then squeeze the juice from one fresh lemon or lime: leaves anything metals sparkling clean and shiny.

It's a super performer, and I have no negative feedback for this product. We've never had it not work well for us under any condition, and it's never left scratch marks or done harm to any of our appliances' surfaces, counter tops or anything delicate we've used it on. Even our new glass stove top cleans easily with this powder and some water and a sponge--we have no complaints.

It's fine. Barely a scent at all. I mean, whatever powder smells like, this is what this product smells like. I'm chemically sensitive and it's completely non-offensive.

Inexpensive and strong

from Trenton, NJ

Comments about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish:

I know this product is touted as a cleanser and polish, but I use it simply as a very strong abrasive cleanser. I'm not sure how it would polish, but it works extremely well on tough grime and dirt. I usually buy it when it goes on sale and am not necessarily loyal to the brand. It works equally as well as any other cleanser and does not have a fragrance that is either especially nice or offensive. I have used this cleanser to clean burnt on cooking crud, to scour our stainless steel sink, and also to clean toilet stains. We use it when we have a big grimy job on the outdoor grill too. I would only recommend using this on surfaces that you are not worried about scratching. This is a powerful abrasive and even though it says it is a polish, it is pretty much your basic cleanser. I do use this type of product much less frequently than I used to because I am more aware of eco-friendly and also because I am concerned about scratching surfaces. It's a good product to have in the cabinet and you will be happy to keep it around for those times when you just need to scrub something with a little elbow grease.

A wonder scrubber

Comments about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish:

Bar Keepers Friend is a classic. Growing up my mother used this product in her home on the countertops and sinks. Now, I use this for my countertops and sinks. She had white counter tops and it was a huge blessing to keep them looking crisp. While my countertops are dark, this product still has a home in my kitchen. I use this on our often-used pots and pans to cut through the grease and the grime. I also use this on my steel kitchen sink to keep things clean and sparkly. It works great on stove-tops too. We do not have hard water but it does seem like we get a fair amount of grime and buildup around our sink handles. Bar Keepers friend is tough enough to clean them up without too much elbow grease. With this product, a little goes a long way. The smell is just okay for me. It does not bother me but baking soda can have a similar cleaning ability sometimes and smells less noticeable.

Didn't remove rust for me

Comments about Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish:

I bought this product because I needed to remove rust stains from my good steak knives. It promises to do this right on the front of the package. I was disappointed when none of the rust came off after trying to remove it a few times using this product exactly as per the instructions. Good thing it has other uses so it was not a total waste of money. I use it to clean my bathtub and surrounding tile and surfaces with satisfaction, and kitchen stove, although it did not remove all of the brown spots on my stove grates after much scrubbing. I am disappointed in this product because it did not work as advertised.

Failed to deliver as advertised for my need of removing rust stains off of steak knife blades. Did a good job of lightly cleaning kitchen surfaces without causing damage. I would not buy this product again.

The scent is not noticeable or an irritant to my sensitive nose.