Other Cell Phone Providers:

Assurance Wireless

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:

Appreciated Phone When I Needed It!

About 5 years ago my life was turned upside down. I had lost my job and had a 10 year old daughter to support. I applied for help with Medicaid for my daughter and I ran across a flyer for Assurance Wireless. They offered a free basic cell phone if you qualified. Qualifications varied but as long as I had Medicaid I qualified for the plan. The plan offered 250 talk minutes a month at the time I used it. Applying was simple I filled the form out, sent proof of eligibility and mailed the application in a prepaid envelope Assurance Wireless supplied. Within a week I recieved a basic cell phone in the mail. At the time I was living with my mother and it needed the phone for emergencies. The phone was a small standard phone and activating it was simple. If the minutes ran out there was an option to "top off" the phone with 5, 10, 30 dollar plans. This can get expensive and I never had to buy minutes but I was happy that I had the option. Call coverage was good with this phone, I rarely dealt with calls dropping in my area in Virginia. Now I don't like to complain about something that is free but I would have random numbers call this phone, 1-800 numbers that weren't linked to me. My minutes would go down if my voicemail picked up the call. I ended up not using my voicemail because of this. I used Assurance Wireless for a little over a year and I appreciate having this phone at the time I used it. No, this is not a high tech smartphone, it gives you an opportunity to apply for jobs and for emergencies. I seriously can't complain about a company that offers something for free.

Rip-off

Rip-off!!! Stay away from these people. It is a bunch of red tape. The jerk you around. Their customer service representatives are idiots and English is not their first language. I have been trying since December to get my father-in-law a phone. It is now Feb. 27th and still nothing.

They claim they lost previous documents I have sent. The don’t read the information you send them. The said Medicare and Medicaid was the same so there would be no problem getting him approval. Well they are not and we got denied. So we reapplies using his income. They will only look at his income before his Medicaid is deducted. That makes him over $30 per month to qualify. However, if they look at what he actually gets paid, he is under the limit. I have called them 3 times about this.

I finally gave up. Being their service is so terrible, I don’t trust the stupid phone will even work.

Stay far far far away from these people. There are other inexpensive options out there. My rating on a scale of 1-5 Negative 11.

DO NOT PAY FOR THIS SERVICE

from TX

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

Customer service is the worst!!!

Assurance Wireless Sucks.

from Your Moms House

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

there customer service is horrible and needs more training. All my questions the answers are on google. The customer service replies are it's not possible, I don't know. You can't do that. Ect. It's a government phone I guess low training but the help is in the Philippines. Next year I am going to try another service too many run ins with them. Their English is not that good, they also can't understand English also. I know more than them I rooted my phone. I wouldn't recccomend the company to anyone.

Customer Service SUCKS

from Fort Lauderdale FL

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

This company is such a bunch of liars

They had my service cut when I was in the hospital for not using the phone in one month

They keep telling me back office this and back office that and now they are telling me the middle of August to get connected

They already sent me a new phone...Why do I have to wait that long to get connected ??

They lie so much over the phone

I hope a real representative can help me out

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Pathetic

from Fort Collins,CO

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

Phone minutes not working on brand new phone. Call customer service and get thick dialect Indian. Between the one bar of signal strength and poor English, I am still without a working phone. Collecting money from the government without providing a service is fraudulent.

Cancel after 1 day, it is ashamed that USAC is as worthless as the telecom companies it oversees.

it is a government program so dont expect much

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

I got this service in the beginning because i had to. It was a free service and it was better than having nothing. Well let me tell you, 250 minutes go very fast even when you are budgeting them. What they don't tell people about these texts is that they charge incoming as well as outgoing against your 250 allowed texts for so called free. i will say that you are able to pay $30 for unlimited everything for a month. The service as a whole is mediocre at best. Plan on having several dropped calls and lousy reception. Often i am unable to be heard or hear the other party. When you call customer service to attempt to talk to a live person it is a major challenge to navigate the automated system. The people themselves are not knowledgeable what so ever of the service and you can tell that this service is outsourced to another country by the people answering the calls. You will possibly be double billed and often you have to put money on the phone and then call and have them convert the money to minutes. I am glad i am now able to switch to another service. Yet it did serve its purpose for the time that i needed it.

• Customer Service:

Good for low budget families.

from Florida

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

Assurance Wireless is a company that provides a low end cell phone and a set amount of minutes and texts to families that are unable to afford cell coverage otherwise.

First off the phone does exactly what it needs to. It makes phone calls and sends and receives text messages. Nothing shiny, nothing flashy and no confusing apps. Simple and too the point.

The service is through Virgin Mobile so its not great, but not terrible. I did have a couple issues with dropped calls but it wasn't a every single call sort of thing. Calls were a bit echo ridden, but I could still hold a conversation.

The bottom line is if you are unable to afford a cell phone, or you have an elderly family member who just needs a phone to be able to make emergency calls, then I would definitely look into assurance. Its a great thing for them to do to help struggling low income families or seniors on a fixed income.

Not worth the aggravation

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

I am being sincere when I say that I never knew free could be so inconvenient. The whole idea of the program is good but it's actual execution is something quite different. The entire program - from the very beginning was a drawn out process. I was mailed the application arrive. I was able to use fax to send in all documents that were required. The phone that was issued was a very cheap and flimsy. I upgraded my phone and after that all was well up until it was time for the minutes to post. I found myself having to call them every month, being put on hold for what seemed like forever and them keeping me on the phone for even longer so that they could fix the issue. Sometimes when I called I couldn't understand what the customer service rep was saying because their accent was one I was entirely unfamiliar with. I didn't enjoy the service whatsoever! Even their basic plan didn't fit my needs. I ended up switching to a paid company with a better plan. Free is not always worth it, trust me!

• Customer Service:

Appreciated Phone When I Needed It!

from Va

• Customer Service:

Assurance Wireless is great for people on a budget

from Fort Worth, Texas

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

I first signed up to receive this device a year ago. I was receiving medicaid for my daughter which qualified us for this device. I had to pay nothing for this phone and I paid nothing for the monthly bill either. It came with 500 minutes and 250 text messages. It was great for my 8 year old daughter to take with her when she's away from me and I need to call her. And how could I pass up anything that's free. I believe in utilizing your resources. This was one of mine. The sound and service on this phone was not great but because we were only using this phone within our area it worked fine, but as good as we left to far from our area the phone would not get reception. It could never be used outside of our city.

Call Quality
This phone has great call quality within the city limits and in the city it is signed up in. But if we leave the state it will drop calls and sometimes not get calls at all.

Customer Service
I had to call customer service with an issue I was having with my phone and the customer service rep was so rude and unfriendly.

Don't waste your money

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

I bought this plan and it is the worst ever. I had to go get a second plan somewhere else.

Call Quality
Everytime I try to use my phone I can not get out or it drops the calls. Plus I keep recieving calls from them several times a day ( up to 10 calls a day ) from there phone center and when I anwser it I can here talking in the background but no one talking to me. When I call the company back they claim they did not call but it was the same number I called that called me.

Coverage
Coverage must not work anywhere because I can't even get out in town much less anywhere else.

Plan Options
The plans that they have are very appealing but service tells a completely different story.

Features
Not very many features on the phones and you have to use there phones. My phone had no camera and the internet didn't work very well at all. The over all phone was very hard to use. It is very hard to get to your phone book on the phone. Texting is also very hard to do on this phone. I pretty much have given up on this phone. i have had alot of other phones and I have never had one as difficult to use as this.

Customer Service
Customer service is no help and when you call there they act like they have no clue how to help you. They hardly speak english at all. It was very hard for me to understand them.