1.9

• Coverage:
    • Plan Options:
    • Features:
    • Customer Service:
    • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand (3), I received a sample (3)

Appreciated Phone When I Needed It!

About 5 years ago my life was turned upside down. I had lost my job and had a 10 year old daughter to support. I applied for help with Medicaid for my daughter and I ran across a flyer for Assurance Wireless. They offered a free basic cell phone if you qualified. Qualifications varied but as long as I had Medicaid I qualified for the plan. The plan offered 250 talk minutes a month at the time I used it. Applying was simple I filled the form out, sent proof of eligibility and mailed the application in a prepaid envelope Assurance Wireless supplied. Within a week I recieved a basic cell phone in the mail. At the time I was living with my mother and it needed the phone for emergencies. The phone was a small standard phone and activating it was simple. If the minutes ran out there was an option to "top off" the phone with 5, 10, 30 dollar plans. This can get expensive and I never had to buy minutes but I was happy that I had the option. Call coverage was good with this phone, I rarely dealt with calls dropping in my area in Virginia. Now I don't like to complain about something that is free but I would have random numbers call this phone, 1-800 numbers that weren't linked to me. My minutes would go down if my voicemail picked up the call. I ended up not using my voicemail because of this. I used Assurance Wireless for a little over a year and I appreciate having this phone at the time I used it. No, this is not a high tech smartphone, it gives you an opportunity to apply for jobs and for emergencies. I seriously can't complain about a company that offers something for free.

Rip-off

Rip-off!!! Stay away from these people. It is a bunch of red tape. The jerk you around. Their customer service representatives are idiots and English is not their first language. I have been trying since December to get my father-in-law a phone. It is now Feb. 27th and still nothing.

They claim they lost previous documents I have sent. The don’t read the information you send them. The said Medicare and Medicaid was the same so there would be no problem getting him approval. Well they are not and we got denied. So we reapplies using his income. They will only look at his income before his Medicaid is deducted. That makes him over $30 per month to qualify. However, if they look at what he actually gets paid, he is under the limit. I have called them 3 times about this.

I finally gave up. Being their service is so terrible, I don’t trust the stupid phone will even work.

Stay far far far away from these people. There are other inexpensive options out there. My rating on a scale of 1-5 Negative 11.

So not worth the headache

from Arkansas

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

I went through all the headache of signing up and getting them all my information. They sent me an email saying my phone was delivered, but I never got it. So not worth it!

Terrible Customer Service

from Chicago, Illinois

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

I just had a terrible experience with assurance wireless customer service in setting up my voicemail. the rep gave me wrong info. They never answer the phone. All automated, and you all know how that goes! The girl told me she would call me back in 5 minutes to make sure everything went alright. Never Heard From Her Again! I emailed them and always received the same lame response. The only thing different was the date!
So. I go to the resource center to talk to a rep here giving out phones. He talked to someone at corporate I guess it was and guess what. The girl, for lack of a better word, hung up on the guy!! Can you believe it??!! This one is by far the worst company I have ever dealt with.
NO! I Will Not Recommend assurance wireless To Anyone! Not even my worst enemy!

Deeply disturbing

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

I use VOIP, and do not own a cell phone, which made it particularly frustrating when I saw a charge from this cell phone insurance company on my credit card statement. When I finally managed to reach a real person (their automated menu did not have a "we fraudulently charged your card" option, of course), they tried to get "my cell phone number" again, refused to do anything about the charge, and told me I'd have to dispute it with my bank. They tried to imply that someone had stolen my card number and used it to pay for insurance, but they would not say who, and since the Assurance Wireless charge was the ONLY false charge on my card - no one tried to buy anything else - I think it far more likely that the "thief" is company. I wish I knew how they got my card number in the first place, but of course they wouldn't tell me.

Bad company, the worst

from Florida

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

I am a disabled Veteran, and they put me through allot of trouble, they lost my Veterans disability docks, and wanted to do everything in the mail, and after 2 months of waiting they turned my down, I gave them proof that I am a disabled veteran.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

They neither good nor bad

from Albuquerque NM

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

In New Mexico lifeline service has two options, SafeLine or Assurance. SafeLine gives you a P. O. S. stickphone. use a smart phone must pay for servicer. No more lifeline. Assurance gives you a smart phone and can use any device compatable with Virgin Mobile. On the other hand in 2 months due to system issues have not been able to log into my account online. Calling in to get a live rep is a pain.
On a whole would recommend

DO NOT PAY FOR THIS SERVICE

from TX

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

Customer service is the worst!!!

Assurance Wireless Sucks.

from Your Moms House

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

there customer service is horrible and needs more training. All my questions the answers are on google. The customer service replies are it's not possible, I don't know. You can't do that. Ect. It's a government phone I guess low training but the help is in the Philippines. Next year I am going to try another service too many run ins with them. Their English is not that good, they also can't understand English also. I know more than them I rooted my phone. I wouldn't recccomend the company to anyone.

Customer Service SUCKS

from Fort Lauderdale FL

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

This company is such a bunch of liars

They had my service cut when I was in the hospital for not using the phone in one month

They keep telling me back office this and back office that and now they are telling me the middle of August to get connected

They already sent me a new phone...Why do I have to wait that long to get connected ??

They lie so much over the phone

I hope a real representative can help me out

Pathetic

from Fort Collins,CO

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

Phone minutes not working on brand new phone. Call customer service and get thick dialect Indian. Between the one bar of signal strength and poor English, I am still without a working phone. Collecting money from the government without providing a service is fraudulent.

Cancel after 1 day, it is ashamed that USAC is as worthless as the telecom companies it oversees.

it is a government program so dont expect much

Comments about Assurance Wireless:

I got this service in the beginning because i had to. It was a free service and it was better than having nothing. Well let me tell you, 250 minutes go very fast even when you are budgeting them. What they don't tell people about these texts is that they charge incoming as well as outgoing against your 250 allowed texts for so called free. i will say that you are able to pay $30 for unlimited everything for a month. The service as a whole is mediocre at best. Plan on having several dropped calls and lousy reception. Often i am unable to be heard or hear the other party. When you call customer service to attempt to talk to a live person it is a major challenge to navigate the automated system. The people themselves are not knowledgeable what so ever of the service and you can tell that this service is outsourced to another country by the people answering the calls. You will possibly be double billed and often you have to put money on the phone and then call and have them convert the money to minutes. I am glad i am now able to switch to another service. Yet it did serve its purpose for the time that i needed it.

• Call Quality: