2.9

Cons

• Service:
    • In-Flight Accommodations:

Unforgettable service and comfort

I recently took a business class trip on Asiana last month to South Korea and Hong Kong and then back to Chicago. I can say, I usually have the hardest times falling asleep since I am a light sleeper, but I was able to fall asleep easily from the comfort and space of the seating. The food on the flight was also excellent, and even inbetween meal times, they had these "meal"-like snack options like petite croissant turkey sandwiches or ramen noodles which were great. On the last flight back home from HK back to Chicago, I was starting to get a little sick and the flight attendants were fabulous in helping me and getting me anything I needed. Overall, I had a pleasant experience with Asiana and I would recommend this airline to anyone flying abroad.

Asiana Airlines: Worst airline experience in four decades.

Here is my experience in dealing with Asiana Airlines --

I set out to return home to Chicago on August 19 after spending eleven days with my wife and her family on our honeymoon in Cebu, Philippines. I was flying all the way from Cebu, Philippines to Chicago, Illinois. My flight from Cebu to Manila was with another airline, and my flight from Manila to Chicago was with Asiana Airlines. Unfortunately, my 9:30 AM flight from Cebu to Manila was delayed by one hour and thirty minutes.

After landing in Manila, I hurried as fast as I could to catch my 1:00 PM Asiana flight to Chicago via Seoul, South Korea.. Just as I was approaching the Asiana check-in area, the Asiana workers were in the physical process of putting up the cordon to close the registration line. If I had arrived just forty seconds earlier, I would have been there before they closed the line. The time on the wall clock read 12:22. A worker there told me that the line closed at 12:20, and that they would not let me take the flight.

I started to beg and to plead with the Asiana employees to just help me out. I tried to reason with them that it was not my fault that the flight from Cebu to Manila was delayed by ninety minutes. I also reminded them that the plane was not scheduled to depart for nearly another forty minutes. When it became clear that the Asiana employees were not going help me out, I became visibly flustered and distraught. I was literally shaking with frustration. The greatest insult with this whole incident occurred when the very Asiana employee who spoke with me at the gate started to smile at me in a self-satisfied manner and began to actually LAUGH at me -- both to my face and to her fellow employees. It seemed clear to me that this person was actually deriving pleasure in seeing an adult traveler reduced to such a powerless state.

I then went to the Asiana offices at the Manila airport. I spoke with a representative from that office, and she told me that the next available flight to Chicago was on September 12 (a day a full three weeks in the future), and that I could take either take that flight or try another airline to get back to Chicago. She told me to try another airline.

So I find myself on the other side of the world from my home without a ticket. Fortunately, another airline had one ticket left on  that same day (August 19), a 10PM flight to Los Angeles. Because I needed to get back home to work, I really had no choice but to buy that ticket, so I bought it. The cost of that one-way ticket was over eleven hundred US dollars.

But my trip was far from over. I still had to get my luggage in Los Angeles, and find a flight to Chicago which was still another 2500 miles away. I managed to buy a ticket to Chicago O'Hare departing at 11:40 PM that very night (August 19). The purchase price for that ticket was over three hundred dollars.

I am still very upset with my experience with the Asiana employees at Manila airport. They could have made my life a whole lot easier by being a little more flexible and a whole lot kinder to me. They way I was treated in Manila airport by Asiana employees was not only unprofessional, but downright cold-hearted and cruel. As a result of that experience with Asiana Airlines, all I received from them was the paltry partial refund amount of around two hundred dollars. Ultimately, this entire travel episode cost me the net sum total of an extra $1,200 US dollars.

As they remind us over the intercom at the end of flights nowadays, we do indeed have many airlines to choose from. With that knowledge in mind, I choose not not to give Asiana Airlines my business. My experience with Asiana Airlines was by far the worst airline experience in over four decades of extensive world and domestic travel. In the future, I plan to avoid giving my hard-earned dollars to Asiana Airlines. I encourage you to do the same.

When things go wrong, it becomes the worst airline

from Denver, CO

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I was doing Manila to Denver through Seoul and then LA. My Manila to Seoul was canceled and they put me in a smoky lounge room from Philippines Airlines where the Asiana staff took breaks and smoked and didn't tell me when I will be able to fly to the US. Several hours later, they put me on a flight to LA on Philippines Airlines but that was it. They never re-booked my LA to Denver so I was left on my own in LA! I contacted Asiana Airlines customer service in LA several times.The lady there was unprofessional and did not care a bit of anything I had to say. I filed a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I will file a suit for breach of contract since I paid a ticket all the way to Denver and they only flew me to LA.

Like insurance, you can only judge an airline when the situation turns wrong (in my case flight cancellation for technical reason). This airline is pathetic when it comes down to handling these type of situations.

Stay away from Asiana. Singapore airlines is much better.

Asiana Airlines: Worst airline experience in four decades.

from South Bend, IN

WORST!!!

from Mount Prospect, IL

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

**Getting my ticket:** *My husband bought the ticket for me through a travel agency in US like what he did before. I received the confirmation,  the itinerary and my husband said that I just need to print them to show them in the airport meaning it is my ticket like what he did before. Because I am a person who like to check everything before the day comes so I called ASIANA office in Makati to confirm and reserve the seat that I want but they told me that I still have to go to their office to do those. So from my province, I travelled far just to get my "real ticket"from them. (So what is the sense of email confirmation? Does it mean that they don't honor the email with ticket from US/travel agency from US?)     Well, I  forgave that experience because of my excitement.***The day of my trip to Chicago:** *It was my first flight going to US last Sept. 2009. I was really excited because my husband told me that I would really enjoy my flight. That day, we were having a typhoon in the Phils. so it was okay that my flight was delayed for 5-6 hours. The delay of the flight was accommodated by the staff there by giving us soda first before sandwiches. It was okay and passengers were very patient because of the weather. Finally, they said the plane landed already and we had to take our first flight to Seoul. The flight was ok but when we were in Seoul, it was like a disaster. They told us abruptly to fall in line and get another ticket. Confused and exhausted. I saw an officer shouting abruptly that we have to hurry to catch the flight going to LA. LA???? My flight was going to Chicago not to LA. Other passengers got dizzy and confused but stayed patient. When I was finding my seat, I was like dumped in the last raw. During my flight, I couldn't breath so I immediately notified the stewardess twice if I could get more air/ventilation. She was like a stupid one finding the source of ventilation. So I decided to help myself by fanning myself for hours...that was really an exhausting flight with ASIANA and I told my husband that it would be the first and last. Other passengers told me that they would never take a trip again from them. *  ** Just thankful that United Air gave us an organize and peaceful flight going to Chicago**.

Our Hotel Reservation from our 10hrs. lay-over in Korea...

from Ossian, IN

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I booked thru a travel agency in Chicago for an international flight. And we had a flight with Asiana airlines, so we have to travel thru Korea to reach our destination back and forth. My husband called Asiana Airlines to confirm our hotel reservation in Korea because we had a 10 hours lay-over and we were informed it is free but they never told us what hotel. And I also called second time just to make sure we have a hotel to sleep in while waiting for our connecting flight to LA. Again, they cannot tell me the name of the hotel and told me also that there would be someone from a hotel that will guide us when we arrive at the airport.  But when we arrived at Korea airport, we asked for our free reservation to a hotel receptionist, but he said we have to pay and should booked earlier.  Well, we ended up sleeping at the airport without a hotel and my 20-mos. old child who was sick with cough and cold and not feeling really well has to suffer sleeping uncomfortably on a seat.  We emailed Asiana Airlines at their website but no reply from them. I guess they dont care at all.

Comfortable, better choice than China Air.

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I would fly again to China thru Asiana Air.  Flights are better and arrival times are faster.  Service was great.  Flight attendant was courteous, and helpful.  I will fly with Asiana Air to Korea, or Hong Kong.  .......................................................................................................................................................................

great service in business class for reasonable price

from Philadelphia, PA

Comments about Asiana Airlines:

I fly Asiana a couple of times a year from Tokyo to London via Seoul and find their in-flight service to be excellent. The staff are extremely efficient yet still pleasant and warm. The food is very good and their Korean dishes are excellent. While they can't compete with Singapore Airlines new service, I found them to be comparable in terms of quality of service. I flew Singapore Airlines buisness class on an older plane at Thanksgiving and had a small seat and tiny TV compared too Asiana's newer planes, they also compare well with the US carriers and have much better service in the air than them. The cost is also very competitive with discounted business being the same as economy plus on other airlines.