2.1

As Seen On TV Smooth Away

2.1

Pros

Cons

I actually really like it...

I have a strange obsession about shaving my legs every day. Due to my expensive taste in razors, this can really add up in razor cost, waste a lot of hot water in the shower (and due to roommates, that sometimes means I get a cold shower at the end....) and lead to nicks and dryness. So, I decided to try the smooth away.Pros: While this product is not perfect, it is very effective for me. I have dry skin and fine blond hairs, for reference. I tried using it the way the directions say (circular motions) and an "up and down" motion. The "up and down" seemed more efficient for me. It completely removed the hair and made my skin softer aat the same time. It took about the same amount of time as shaving, and, call me silly, but I like to think it improves circulation in my leg skin because of the superficial rubbing neccesary to remove the hair. Also, this will be great for hair removal when camping, because you don't need water to use it!Cons: The pad was kind of hard to replace because it was hard to get it off the plastic mitt thing, and I felt like the pad wore out pretty quickly. Smooth away was not as effective on armpits or bikini like, probably because of the contours in those areas. If you press too hard it can leave redness, but, it's not neccesary to press hard to get results. All-in-all, I am very pleased with this product, surprisingly so. I've been using it for a few weeks now and I don't plan on stopping. That said, I know it's not for everyone, and I can see where it coudl cause injury and not be effective.

Smooth Away hair removal pads......still evaluating them

I just received my Smooth Away hair removal pads last week after ordering them on Ebay.  (Which is about half the price as ordering them from the TV or their online store).  Was so excited to get them in and try them. The ad makes it all so easy to use, painless, and seems to be a miracle invention so I could not wait to see if they worked as effortlessly as portrayed on TV.

Now, I must first tell you that I am half Italian and half French so my leg hair grows dark and coarse, so any relief in the leg shaving area is well received. They arrived in the mail very fast with the instructions. Light clockwise motion 3 times and then 3 counter clockwise motion over the skin and hair.  Repeat as needed until all the hair is removed. The pads kind of looked like a smooth looking sand paper but felt very smooth to the touch.

After doing an area of my leg I saw that my skin was being buffed away (as the commercial said that you exfoliate your skin while buffing away the hair) so I was expecting that. I had to buff and buff the skin because my leg hair was "not fine" but it sure did come off and my skin really did feel much smoother after.

The instructions say to moisturize your skin after, so I did that when I finished.

Later that night while laying in bed relaxing, I began to feel my legs burning slightly. I figured that it was just my "new" skin tingle-ing because I had been buffing the hair away.  Well.....the next day I woke up to find that my legs looked they were sun burned......no wonder I felt them burning.

I must have done the rubbing with the pads a little too rough or a little too much.....but I had to to get the coarse hair removed.  I have since been putting lotion on my legs and after 3 days they do not feel burned anymore.

I plan on giving the Smooth Away pads another try in a few days, but I will be more gentle this time around.

Sand Away

Comments about As Seen On TV Smooth Away:

I'm a woman and like most women I do not want facial hair, under arm hair, or leg hair. The one that is the most noticeable and frustrating is the facial hair. And if your like me you've tried everything to get long term results. Well DO NOT TRY SMOOTH AWAY! All it is, is fine grain SAND PAPER! Looking back I feel really ignorant for ever trying it. The kit comes with two pink soft rubber devices with a band one is large for large areas like your legs, the other smaller and narrow at one end for areas like your upper lip, chin, and under arms. Then you are supposed to pull the adhesive back marked 3M ( the company that makes a variety of tapes and hooks etc. ) and stick it to the pink rubber device. Then smooth away the hair in a circular motion. They say "you may feel tingling". I followed the directions exactly an ended up with a huge burn around my mouth and on my chin! I was embarrassed to go anywhere, and it was painful. Eventually it scabbed over in spots and healed but I did not venture to use it on my legs or anywhere else. I used burn ointment on it to relieve the pain. So I advise anyone who wants to smooth away hair ask yourself would you rub your face with sand paper? If the answer is no then stay away from this product!

Doesn't remove hair but I don't think it's a complete waste...

Comments about As Seen On TV Smooth Away:

Now let me start by saying this is basically just fine sand paper that you rub on yourself and it irritates your skin slightly and in no way removes hair. I found that when I use it I have to shave anyway. However if you already have this I don't think it's completely useless. I have found that it does make the area I shave seem smoother if I use it first. Not sure if it just exfoliates my skin or if it thins the hair and makes it shave easier or what, but it does help make it feel smooth. I found it especially helps with places I have difficulty shaving like the backs of my thighs.

Works wonders on small patches of hair.

Comments about As Seen On TV Smooth Away:

I quite like this product and was pretty shocked when I saw all the low reviews. It IS pain free and quick (if you plan on doing small areas, NOT your legs/arms!) It also comes with a lot of the pads (and each one lasts a long time!).

I'll start out by saying I'm Italian, I have very thick coarse hair and it's dreadful to maintain which is why I bought this product. It advertises that it gets rid of leg/arm/large patches of hair no problem -- WRONG. I do NOT recommend this product if you are buying it to replace the act of shaving your legs. It WILL take FOREVER. Although if you have very thin hair it might just work for you. It took me 30 minutes just to do my knees!

I have a small facial hair issue which is another reason why I purchased this product. And if this product advertised that it focused mainly on small patches of hair like this, it would get a 10.

When I first used this product, I didn't put any other products or water on my skin before using it and found that my skin was irritated after use. So what I usually do is get a warm cloth and put it over the area for a few minutes, dry, and then I'll use Smooth Away. Afterwards I'll use lotion and it seriously works wonders and got rid of the irritation problem! It is pain free and very quick to do! It takes all of 10-15 minutes and it's gone completely. Being my hair grows fast, it starts coming in again two days later but it is quite easy to just use it again.

I've had one little smooth away pad last me 2-3 months, and they do come with quite a bit! Since I can't use the big pads I usually cut them up and use them for the smaller facial one they come with.

Smooth Away

Comments about As Seen On TV Smooth Away:

Smooth Away? Yeah right. This product is so terrible. I bought this in hope of an easier way of removing some hair, but in reality, it didn't remove any hair at all (even after I followed the instructions). Actually, it made my skin worse. I have very sensitive skin and this product made it break out and rash. This is not worth the money at all.

Just Sandpaper!

Comments about As Seen On TV Smooth Away:

I had high hopes for this product when I ordered it, and then was sorely disappointed when I found out that it was nothing more than sticky sandpaper to be attached onto a plastic holder. To it's credit, it does remove hair, but you can buy a pack of sandpaper at your local hardware store for much cheaper and get the exact same results.

Results last as long as shaving.

very ineffective and a waste of money

from Johnson City, TN

Comments about As Seen On TV Smooth Away:

you must have to have very thin hair or little hair at all for this to work. it certainly was a waste of money, in my opinion. it does not work as it is shown to work-at all. i was very diappointed in the quality of this product for what i paid for i.

Another ten bucks down the drain.

from Buffalo, NY

Comments about As Seen On TV Smooth Away:

Save your time and money. Smooth-Away promises exfoliating and hair removal. Instead I got red patches on my skin where the pads literally ground into my skin so badly it burned, not to mention a nastier and more quickly-sprouting stubble than if I had shaved. The product is essentially a fine-grit sandpaper glued to a plastic base with a handle, and with this you are supposed to buff the skin on the legs or face or whatever. It sounds on TV like it would remove the hair in seconds--oh HECK no!!! I was at my face hair over half an hour before I saw any noticeable results. My biggest problem was that it actually burned my skin, and for several days I had red, sore patches around my lips and chin. The ad implies that the Smooth-Away is considerably less painful than tweezing. Hogwash! A pair of tweezers would have been quicker and far more comfortable. I would have been better off getting a couple of sheets of sandpaper from the hardware store, if I really ever want to do that to my skin again. It would be cheaper, if nothing else. Save your money and tweeze--it's not as bad as the ads say!

Don't throw away your razor

from La Habra, CA

Comments about As Seen On TV Smooth Away:

This hair removal product fell short of my expectations after seeing the comercials demonstrating how easy this should work. Well, if you have coarse hair such as mine, it does not "immediately" remove hair. It took some time to get my legs relatively smooth. Perhaps if you have fine hair, you will have more success. It does work but not as well as a razor for getting you sompletely smooth. It is true that this is painless. The pads didn't irritate my skin or feel like sandpaper. But they wear down quickly so this may not be as economical as one hopes. The ad says "discovered in Europe"--well no wonder the European women have hairy legs and underarms! This doesn't keep you perfectly shaved! If you have no water at your disposal and your hair is 1/4 inch or less long, then this does help but I found that it was particularly difficult to get my underarms smooth. You definately should apply lotion after going through this arduous process. This product just helps stretch out your razor budget.

Just does not work!

from Altus, OK

Comments about As Seen On TV Smooth Away:

Got these in the mail the other day, was hopeful. I used the Smooth Away pads as directed, three times one way and then three times the other way. No hair removed, so did it again, same. I kept at it, gave my arm a workout,but it in the end didn't remove much.

Feels like shaving without shaving cream

from Corona, CA

Comments about As Seen On TV Smooth Away:

So I've always seen the Smooth Away commercials on television, and I've always been dying to order it. Coincidentally, when I went to go pay the mall a visit, there was a booth selling the Smooth Away. The sales associate demonstrated the product on my arm, and it was not painful whatsoever, and it truly did remove all the hair from my arm. I was very appealed and decided to buy it on the spot.Later that night, I decided to try out the Smooth Away on my upper lip. After doing the same exact thing the sales associate did on my arm, the hair wasn't removed. (haha no, i don't have a moustache. it's just a little stray hair like what MOST women have.) so with that i decided to put a little more force into it.now here are the results.- smooth, soft, hair freebut also...- red and burning, as if i got a sunburn or razor burn.i began to think to myself, "how come i didnt get these results when the sales associate demonstrated the Smooth Away to me?"but then i looked at my arm and there were little red bumps and some stray hair. it, however, wasn't burning.so i guess in the end, you don't get SUPER SMOOTH legs. its just like shaving without any shaving cream on.you'd think i hate it, however, i kind of like it because despite the burning, it does make your skin feel baby soft. you just have to deal with the stinging pain.