2.8

2.8

Pros

Cons

American Airlines to Costa Rica: I had a good experience

American Airlines has extensive service into Latin America and for us, was the best option for getting to San Jose, Costa Rica on a recent business trip.   Although our experience was not perfect, it was much better than I expected and overall I was pleased.

Our flight was a round trip from Denver to Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) in San Jose, Costa Rica. There was a stop-over and change of planes in Dallas/Ft Worth, TX on both the outbound and return flights.  The total trip each way was about 5 hours of in-flight time and 2,200 miles.

We experienced good service across the board.  Initially I got good service by calling the airline to confirm how I could check-in 24 hours in advance over the internet. The representative found my flight information and explained the process. He also added my frequent flyer account to each segment. Too bad the frequent flyer mileage expires in just 18 months if you don’t have any activity.

At the airport our outbound flight was delayed for 25 minutes. I was nervous because we had a connection in Dallas and DFW airport is not exactly easy to navigate. But when we arrived at DFW the flight on to San Jose was delayed 1 hour due to stormy weather in Texas. Once we got going, there we no more delays on any segments.

In flight we got small meals on the international segments of the flight. Nothing to write home about, but it was adequate and we got ample beverages. The planes were an older MD80 between Dallas and Denver and a 757 from Dallas to Costa Rica. The former plane actually has a bit more legroom but lacks TV screens of any sort. The 757 is also a nice plane although the legroom is about 1’’ less than the MD80.  My only real complaint is that I could not upgrade to a better seat (I was stuck 3 rows from the back on one segment) and both planes were cold during most of the flight. One gal traveling with us bought a 'Comfort Kit' with a blanket and pillow for $8.

Ground service and luggage delivery was also fine – no mishaps to speak of. One area where they fell short was having enough Customs forms that each passenger must complete to enter the country. I ended up with a Spanish-language version and I only know bits and pieces of that language.  I was also disappointed in the entertainment options. They were old movies of little interest, so I read a book for hours on end.

Overall American Airlines delivered us and returned us to Costa Rica without much fanfare.  Service was good and the flights were largely uneventful except for delays in departing the outbound flights. I’ll be returning to Costa Rica again and plan to use American Airlines on the next trip too.

**UPDATE**: I recently had another trip on Ameirican Airlines to Costa Rica and it was also a positive experience.

The economy is hitting American Airlines hard (and us too!).

On my two most recent trips I have flown American Airlines. During that time I observed a few changes. At first I didnt think they were a big deal, but when you add them all up, they seem pretty significant.

The bottom line is that American Airlines has made a bunch of service changes to help improve their bottom line results. Some seem reasonable, and, as a business person, I understand the need for the changes. But, as a consumer, the changes are really starting to hit you significantly in the pocketbook-- especially when you need to buy 4 plane tickets like me!

**Last year (07), the airlines seemed to make the first round of cutbacks.**

**Then, back in January '08,** more changes came. Sounds stupid, but I remember it in terms of food. If I remember correctly, in January, American Airlines still provided a very small bag of pretzels on flights over 2.5 hours, but if you wanted anything additional, you had to pay. No huge biggie, I could understand that they needed to make financial cutbacks. And, honestly, I was pleased that for $3, I could get a healthy fruit and nut snack that could get me through the whole trip. I didnt really mind paying a little something for a better food option to get me through a long trip. Also, I should note, that the cost of the flight was pretty reasonable. So, it didnt hit me very hard.

**During my travels last week,** American's prices definitely went up. What was originally a $200 or so flight on American Airlines was now $250 to $300. Ouch. (I know, gas prices!) But, more importantly, the food was gone! (well not really more important, but it felt like it!) Gone are the days of pretzels on American Airlines. No more small snack to even get you by. The good news is that they still offer food for a price. But, this time, the food options were terrible in my opinion- chips, a cookie and something else that looked inedible. I guess my diet habits dont match the rest of the travelers.

And, to make matters worse, American Airlines announced (while I was on vacation) that if you want to check more than 1 bag, you need to pay an additional $15 each way per bag. That really stinks when you are traveling with car seats! With 4 people, 4 bags and 2 car seats that means an extra $60 on top of the increased airfare.

Now, another week later, American Airlines has announced that starting soon, they will charge for ALL BAGS on the airplanes. And, I think it was something like $25. So, tack on another $100. Oh, and they mentioned airfare hikes too. So, what is typically a $800-$1000 airfare bill is now going to be at least 25% more.

Seems that my family will be vacationing locally this summer.... But, I guess it isnt so cheap to drive either. Maybe we will just have a pool party in the backyard. We can get a blow-up pool from Target. hehehehehehe.

*Note: During my January visit, American lost my sons car seat and it took 4 days for them to find it. I was definitely annoyed since I had to rent one for $100. Seems they should have paid me.*

*Note 2: While American Airlines is expensive and offers no basic services anymore, they do typically offer on-time flights, good airline schedules and the planes have more leg room. *

My bottom line rating is a 2.5.

Would not be my preference for an airline on my next trip

from Chicago, IL

Comments about American Airlines:

I flew with American airlines round trip. Both there and back there were very long delays of up to 3 hours. They lost my luggage and took 5 days to find it and deliver it to my home.

Worst airline available - spend money anywhere else

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about American Airlines:

I purchased a ticket for my fiancé to join me in my hometown to go on my niece's first ever camping trip. I was already in town and was going to pick him up late last night so we could drive the 5hrs in the early morning. He waited at the PHX airport last night from 5:30pm until past 10pm (flight originally scheduled to depart at 8:15pm) when he was finally told his flight was rescheduled for the following morning (today). He then went home and back to the airport today for his supposed flight at 10am, which again was cancelled. This has ruined our trip and their online refund tool only accounts for the ticket price not taxes or surcharges, transportation (he took 3 additional Uber's), or our return flight which he will no longer be able to take. We have been looking forward to this trip for months and do not get to see my niece very often, this is devastating for us. My fiancé even took days off work that he will no longer be able to get back. He even called late last night to verify that the flight this morning was scheduled because he could not find it online, the woman who answered was extremely rude and told him it was scheduled... which was not true. We will never be able to get reimbursed for the memories or time taken off work. This company is constantly a disappointment, where has the customer service gone?

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

I would fly American Airlines again

from New York

Comments about American Airlines:

Had a great trip! Stewards were awesome!

TERRIBLE!

from Fayetteville Nc

Comments about American Airlines:

I understand that sometimes flights get delayed or cancelled, it happens.
What I do not understand is how a flight can get cancelled the night prior and me not by notified, so I still show up to the airport at 0430 in the morning only to be told I got rescheduled to the following day at 1130 am? I was scheduled to depart from Fayetteville, NC (I hope they see this) I asked the lady working at the front ticket counter if there were possibly any flights I could make out of Raleigh, which is an hour away. She pretended to look then said there was ABSOLUTELY Nothing and I was stuck with the next day flight.
A little while after leaving I decided to call customer service just to be sure because how is that possible....as it turns out there was a flight at 0730 from Raleigh that I could have made it on to, and been able to make it back home for my college courses. Along with that there were also about 6 other flights available that day out of Raleigh! Even though the lady on the phone wasn't friendly at least she was patient and helpful.
Back to the lady that didn't even check on flights for me, which is her one and only job, and whom was also rude! So thanks to the lazy lady working at the front, I missed my classes and would have missed work and classes the following day if I wouldn't have checked again.

DON't remain grounded with American Air

from Charlottesville, VA

Comments about American Airlines:

We were told at the Charlottesville airport by American Eagle agents that we would have to book our own connections since their plane couldn't get us there that night, and agents could not even provide the phone number.

great airline

Comments about American Airlines:

I'm not sure why the reviews for American Airlines are so bad, but everyone has their own reasons and own experiences whether its bad or good. Fortunately when I used to travel and go on vacations I've had great experiences with them. I haven't traveled or been on vacation in years so I am not sure how service or experiences are nowadays. Hopefully one day I'll get to take my baby girl on her first vacation. Their service has always been friendly and attentive so I have no complaints. I've frequent flyer miles back then since I was able to do so back then. My baby girl is two years old already so too bad we didn't get to utilize the fly free for under two years old perks. One day hopefully we'll get to take her to Disneyland and Disney world and many more places to travel so she can experience the many cultures, scenaries, food and fun times. I never experienced any crazy turbulence or any scary experiences. I always waited for deals. They made it easy if I had to switch the times or dates and was very accommodating.

Okay airline

from Warren, OH

Comments about American Airlines:

I would overall rate American Airlines as being a seven. They are not the best in service and in flight accommodations, especially not in my experience. I had to ask the flight attendant for water and then he never came back to give me any, also you cannot pick your seats and they have three row seats and I was stuck in the middle, which I absolutely hate. I would rather be on the end if there are three row seats. I also found the flight attendants to be unfriendly and rather rude and not very helpful with what you need and getting back with you. In this I would rate their service as a six that needs to be improved for providing better customer service. And also a six for accommodating in flight because they can greatly improve in this area as well. I would not reccommend this to anyone flying, I took this flight because it was very cheap and also found it last minute.

• In-Flight Accommodations:

More non-flight stops than competitors.

Comments about American Airlines:

I travel with American for convenience. Honestly, I do not find many airline carriers superior to others in terms of service or in-flight accommodations. With American, you know what you are getting. On certain flights, staff is more courteous than others, but I have never been mistreated on any flight. What I love with them is the non-stop flight options, in comparison to other carriers that are similarly priced for one or multiple stop flights. Since I don't travel for pleasure much, I want to get to my destination and back home as soon as possible; with non-stop flights, I can do so. Although they don't offer free wi fi, or complimentary drink service, they are cheaper, they do have more non-stop flights when I travel, and their airplanes are generally clean, well kept, and comfortable. I have never had issues with delays or missed flights, nor have I ever had a flight cancelled with them either, which has been the case with other carriers I have traveled with in the past.

Not a Fan

from Dallas, TX

Comments about American Airlines:

There is nothing inherently wrong with American Airlines, and operationally, it has gotten me from point A to point B. However, every time that I fly American Airlines, I feel that the plane is dirty and unsanitary. I have found trash not only in the seat back pockets but also in the seats themselves. There have even been instances of finding questionable substances (like boogers & chewed gum) under seat cushions.
There is nothing overly wonderful about American Airlines. The flight crew generally does their job but no more than that. In-flight food is never tasty or fresh.
Again, the airline functions as it needs to, but to truly win my favor and business, I would like to see them make more of an effort to make my flying experience better.
The biggest issue for me is the constant lack of cleanliness on the planes.

Service
Service is okay, nothing spectacular. I do wish they'd spend more time cleaning the planes between flights.

In-Flight Accommodations
Fine but certainly not stellar

My Choice Airlines

from chicago Illinois

Comments about American Airlines:

I love this airline, and I love what it stands for. It is a airline that works double making sure that its customers know and understand that they are the bottom line and not profits. I love that each time that I have traveled with this airline I have had an enjoyable experience.

Service
I love the service that I get from this airline. I can always count on exceptional service whether in person or on the phone. Either way I am always pleased with the service that I get from this airline. I especially love the understanding nature of the people you communicate with, as they really do want you to feel you are an important part of their business.

In-Flight Accommodations
They offer every thing you can think of in terms of accommodations. I always feel that the airline is an extension of my home office as I can get the same amount of work done in flight as I could in my home office, it is just that comfortable. If I am taking a leisure trip it is just as comfortable to me.