2.8
Other Airlines:
American Airlines

4 flights on basic economy, would fly again.

Flew for my honeymoon, we were separated the first two flights in basic economy. Also missed connections because of weather. The airline still tried to help us accordingly and fixed our seats for the flight home. I would say their Philadelphia hub seems to always be a mess.

Cleveland, Ohio

Travel with style

I love that this airline cares about your safety. I love that I can check on their website the air flight status before I arrive to the terminal. They always give free drinks and a snack to eat during the flight.

IL

bad domestic experience(

I've been flying multiple times with American Airlines (2012-2016 to Europe) and its was nice flights, not amazing but nice most probably cos they fly with British airways and it made my previous experience better than I receive when I fly domestic. I can say only cabin crew saved domestic trips cos they are super kind. snacks and beverages also good....thats its from pros))) when I fly domestic I always purchase ticket without check-in luggage - that's easy for me, I never fly domestic with lots of stuff and main reason cos I have expensive carry-on bag! tickets cost 200 cheapest and its not sprint which cost 90 both ways so its kinda normal price for such type of ticket but every time I try to board plane they ask everyone to leave they trolley as a check-in for free. lets be honest - I don't want any 'gifts' like that I want my bag with me, that's why I purchase this type of ticket. I don't know what the reason they do it but they said there are not enough space for it and start scream at me infront all of a people and almost 'steal' my bag from my hands...ok as you wish last time it was happen I film everything with my hidden camera, and you know what? boring completed and there are 1/3 empty space in the plane. that's made me so angry I even complaint to AA but they never send me email back seams they don't care at all. so after arriving I faced to a problem that my trolley was damaged and of course no one wants to say even excuse to me. and every time they act the same but I am more smart and take with me cheap trolley for now as service at airports super bad!

Devon, PA

Enjoyed the flight

I flew round trip from Atlanta to D.C and back. We enjoyed uor flight and the staff were very attentive. Lots of empty seats so the attendant let everyone sit where they wanted. Everything was freshly cleaned and tidy. Flight was delayed 2 hours but we were on vacation and at Hartsfield airport so we were fine.

Clayton, GA.

Never again

I could perhaps put the absolutely horrible experience aside, but I will never forgive the mean, inconsiderate and hateful customer service. I was left stranded in an airport for an entire day because there were staff shortages and mechanical issues. American tried blaming weather, but every other airline was still flying to my destination. My wife was trying to help from her end and they were rude on social media to her. I just can't believe an airline would be so unprofessional. I fly for work constantly, and I will never fly American again.

Madison, WI

My go to airline

There was an incident when my brother and i flew from dfw to laguardia in NY that we were not able to fly out on the time we had initially booked. The airline overbooked and aparently asked people to wait for the next flight. We kind of did not have a choice because we were told that we just have to wait for the next flight however we each got compensated double the money we paid to fly to laguardia so it was ok and they gave us $20 food voucher each. I like that the airline is very roomy and seats are comfortable. There's always a snack which i really like.

Arlington, texas

true

Would not fly American unless desperate.

I had to book a last-minute flight due to a death in the family, so it was expensive (not unexpected). My complaint has to do with the condition of the planes. Tiny seats, no leg room, and most unpleasant: the plane stank! Literally. It was like flying in a latrine. I was kind of shocked at how bad it was and would have a hard time booking with American again.

Boston

false

We will NEVER fly American Airlines again!

We planned a trip to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu. The night before our flight, we printed boarding passes. At approximately 10PM we received a non-urgent email from American stating: please call to rebook your flight. No other info given. When we called we were informed our entire trip to Equador was cancelled due to ground conditions. I called both airports we would be landing at and they reported no delays or ground conditions. American Airlines would not tell us what the ground conditions were. The night they cancelled, American Airlines (Roberta) only offered to move us to a flight on American leaving 48 hours later which would not get us to our destination for 4 days. (Our original flight would get us there in just over 24 hours.) They would not put us on a flight with another airline, which were available. We would not be given any compensation for the loss of 4 days of our trip. I called other airlines myself, in the middle of the night, and booked us on Delta (for flights that would get us to our destination on time,) but had to pay $4500 out of pocket. Delta got us to our destination on time and with no ground condition delays. We landed at the same time our original flight was scheduled to land. Upon return from our trip, we tried to contact customer relations at American to get a refund. There was no phone number, so we wrote an email and waited for a call. A day later, a representative called (Delila) and notified us we would be getting no compensation for our losses. She gave a cursory "I apologize for your inconvenience."She gave us no further support and would not transfer us to a superior. Approximately 1 month after our cancelled flight, we received a refund of $1680 for the cost of the flight that was cancelled, but we were not compensated for the $4500 we lost. We understand that flights can get cancelled but expect to be helped onto another flight in a timely manner or compensated for our losses. We will never fly American again.

seattle

false

Would not be my preference for an airline on my next trip

I flew with American airlines round trip. Both there and back there were very long delays of up to 3 hours. They lost my luggage and took 5 days to find it and deliver it to my home.

Chicago, IL

false

Worst airline available - spend money anywhere else

I purchased a ticket for my fiancé to join me in my hometown to go on my niece's first ever camping trip. I was already in town and was going to pick him up late last night so we could drive the 5hrs in the early morning. He waited at the PHX airport last night from 5:30pm until past 10pm (flight originally scheduled to depart at 8:15pm) when he was finally told his flight was rescheduled for the following morning (today). He then went home and back to the airport today for his supposed flight at 10am, which again was cancelled. This has ruined our trip and their online refund tool only accounts for the ticket price not taxes or surcharges, transportation (he took 3 additional Uber's), or our return flight which he will no longer be able to take. We have been looking forward to this trip for months and do not get to see my niece very often, this is devastating for us. My fiancé even took days off work that he will no longer be able to get back. He even called late last night to verify that the flight this morning was scheduled because he could not find it online, the woman who answered was extremely rude and told him it was scheduled... which was not true. We will never be able to get reimbursed for the memories or time taken off work. This company is constantly a disappointment, where has the customer service gone?

Phoenix, AZ