4.8
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite

4.8

• Readability:

I'm actually reading BOOKS again!

In this fast-paced, digitally-obsessed world...the simple joy of reading a book has definitely taken a back seat in my life. Sadly so. I have always ADORED reading, but over the last couple of years as my life has gotten busier with career and family, I literally can't find the time to sit down and read a book. That all changed when I got the Kindle Paperwhite. Now I throw it in my purse, just like I do my cell phone, and take it everywhere! When I have a few minutes here and there of "downtime", I can catch up on my reading.

I honestly didn't think it would make such a difference, I just thought it seemed like a cool techie gadget to have. But the size, the durability, the extra long battery life, have changed my mindset about reading from a "too busy to read" to "have Kindle, will read!"

The Kindle creators did a fantastic job designing this thing. It really feels like I'm reading a book! I hold it in my hand like a book, I swipe my finger across the screen like I would turn a page of a book. The screen is just as easy to read in indoor and outdoor light. Plus it has definite perks no ordinary book can give you....reading in bed without needing a light on! I love this feature. My husband is an "early to bed, early to rise" sorta guy; I'm a "night owl". I've always loved the ritual of reading a book before I fade out to dreamland, but I hated to turn on a light when the hubster was already sleeping. Enter Kindle Paperwhite, problem solved! Happy ritual restored! Marriage saved! Just teasing about that last part. The Kindle is great, but I'm pretty sure my marriage would have survived without it. :-)

I could go on and on about the cool features of this Kindle, but I will wrap it up here because, like I said, I'm a busy person! ;-) Which reminds me of one of my favorite new features of the Kindle. The "Time to Read" feature gauges your reading speed and let's you know at the bottom of the page when you'll finish your chapter! How cool is that? Talk about your time management tools!

One more thing. Since this is a "review" of the Kindle, and not just a "rave" about it, my only complaint would be that I haven't been able to figure out how to quickly go back to the beginning of a chapter or to another section of the book to re-read something without losing my place. Of course I'm sure there is some user error involved there. I just think it should be easier to figure out.

Off to work! But first I have to finish the chapter I'm on of "Renegades Write The Rules: How The Digital Royalty Use Social Media" by Amy Jo Martin. I only have 6 minutes left!

Good, but not great

Good device, but not super functionable. Wish it had more options to scroll back and forth, go from chapter to chapter, etc.. I also wish their were more free book options. I love to read, but hate to pay too much for a book. I have used the library to check out books, but often can't finish the book in the allotted time given me.

Good product

from Madison, wi

About Me Practical

Pros

• Compact Design
  • Easy To Read

• Entertainment

Comments about Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

I like this product and it's easier on my eyes, however I still find that I tend to end up reading on my smartphone. It's he whole issue of having to pick up yet another device that's been the deterrent for me. But that being said, the product itself worked well and held a charge for a long time.

• Was this a gift?:

favorite reading device

from Oneida, NY

Verified Reviewer

Pros

• Attractive Design
    • Compact Design
    • Easy To Read
    • Good Compatibility
    • Long Battery Life

• Everyday

Comments about Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

I have always thought eReader were stupid and would never want to own one, but I was totally wrong. since I got my eReader I have not put it down. I read more, I enjoy reading more and I don't have the clutter that books cause. The only thing I don't like about the Kindle paperwhite is that the screen scratched way too easy And now I have a bright light coming out of the screen and it is very annoyinG.

• Was this a gift?:

I should read more

Comments about Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

I've always wanted to read some classic books, but thanks to my local shops stocking only the newest best sellers(according to them) I've rarely been able to find the ones that I want on the shelves. So after much personal debate I went and purchased this lovely device.

I've been using the kindle app on my tablet for some time now and the only down side was reading outdoors or under heavy sunlight. The original kindle did not spark my interest due to the numerous buttons and frankly I didn't like the price or the look.

then this came along, with the much longer lasting battery and slimmer design I wanted one as soon as it came out, but once again the concern with the need of wifi to download books did not interest me and the 3G coverage at the time in the UK was not the best there was, but after looking into their coverage last year I was sold.

So downloading books is very easy, you can also see all the old books you've already previously downloaded and bought and you can download them quite quickly, I don't know about the wifi speed as I got the 3G version which gives me the access to the amazon book store free for life on their 3G network (I strongly suggest you get the 3G version for this feature), which when I'm on the go in a place where I don't have wifi access I can still get new books if I want to.

Battery Life
      Over a months worth of charge how can I complain

Book Choices/Variety
      Almost every book you can think of that is published other there, plus a few comics too.

Readability
      you can now make the letter larger by pinch/un-pinch motions you should be used to on many smartphones and tablets.

Swipe right to left to turn page or tap right side of screen, or for turning back do the opposite.

small light weight, I got mine in black which makes it look that little bit better I think

thrown and placed in back pocket quite often, nothing wrong with it so far.

Great for Students!

Comments about Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

I have the first generation of the Kindle Paperwhite, so my review may not apply to the latest generation. I really enjoy my paperwhite, it allows me to buy books instantly and read them in low light places. As a highschool student, it really benefits me in my English class as I can easily annotate pages and use the Real Page Numbers to read along with my other classmates; the dictionary feature really comes in handy and I think it's overall really great. Now, here's things that I do have a problem with. The battery life claims to last weeks, however, that is if you actually read only 30 minutes a day. If you're an avid reader like me, and can sit down and read a book for hours on end, then the battery life will last for around a week in comparison to the actual claim. The good thing is that it charges really easy. Another problem I have is that the paperwhite feels pretty thin. I don't understand the hype with making products thinner and thinner, as if that makes it any more enjoyable. However, with a case, that problem can be solved and it will be comfortable to read. My last pet peeve is that the keyboard and touch screen can be a bit laggy. It's not too much of a problem, because you're only going to mainly use the touch screen to tap on the page to turn it, but it becomes a annoying when you are annotating and it doesn't pick up on a letter. Overall, it's a great product and the issues I addressed aren't a big deal. I definitely recommend!

Book Choices/Variety
      Sadly, they aren't really any cheaper than the physical books.

I've dropped it a couple times, but with a case.

I LOOOOVE My Paperwhite

Comments about Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

This is my third Kindle. I first got a 2nd generation Kindle with the keypad and loved it. Then I decided to upgrade to the Kindle Fire, I liked it well enough, but I have a laptop and mostly I just wanted a Kindle to use to read. When my husband bought me my Paperwhite for my birthday it was love at first sight.

Battery Life
      It really depends on what I'm doing with my Paperwhite on how long the battery lasts. Just reading the battery lasts FOREVER. Using the Wifi and browsing for books and such uses the battery life more quickly, but overall I don't really have complaints about the battery life.

Book Choices/Variety
      I haven't had any problems finding any book I've searched for being available.

Readability
      I love the screen and lighting options. I have ran into a few problems especially when reading history non-fictions that might include a map or an older type document. With the screen size and the limitations on resizing these most times I am out of luck on being able to see them clearly or in detail.

The menu options are a little different than the original Kindle and the Kindle Fire, so if you are used to those there is a slight learning curve. Other than that, it is VERY easy to use.

It has a very sleek and I love how thin and lightweight the Paperwhite is. I read in bed most nights and something larger and bulky gets tiresome after a bit.

I've dropped it like a million times, and my dog has stepped on it about 50 times and there isn't a scratch or crack on it. So, high marks for durability.

My favorite e-reader

Comments about Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

I own two kindle keyboards, one baby kindle, one paperwhite first generation and two paperwhite second generations (several Fires of various generations and size and a couple of nooks). It took me a while to get used to the screen as I could not decide what level of brightness I wanted to use during the day and during the night, it is very different versus using a reading light but now I cannot live without my paperwhite. I do wish it had the same page turn buttons as the baby kindle, it is easier for me to turn the pages with buttons versus tapping the screen as a lefty....have to reach too far over to tap the screen or hold the paperwhite in my right hand. The only thing that I don't like is how collections work on the second generation paperwhite. It is a software issue that should be fixed sooner versus later as it is annoying to see every single collection ever created on your device even if it does not apply to your device.

The Best Way to Read an E-Book

from Cerritos, CA

Comments about Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

I have owned both a Kindle 3 and Kindle Fire. I currently own an iPad 2 and the Paperwhite is the best way to read a book electronically.

Two things really stand out and make it great:

1. Lightweight - It's so light you'll start to wonder how you ever read a book on anything else. Your hands and arms will not get tired holding this unless you are trying to beat some world record for holding a tablet.

2. Back light: Genius. How this took so long to implement I'll never understand. But the back lit screen is nearly perfect. Not to bright but just bright enough. There are some spots near the bottom corners that are a little bit dimmer then the rest of the screen but they are no a big distraction. I don't even notice them anymore.

If you include the price, how many books it can store, it has a touch screen, and that the battery will destroy your iPad's you have a definite winner in my book.

• Readability:

A delightfully convenient way to read

Comments about Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

Overall the kindle paperwhite has greatly increased the amount of time that I spend reading. The lengthy charge time allows me to go for several weeks without a need for recharge. As far as durability I would be careful to keep the satin rubber surface away from anything abrasive as it becomes easily scratched. Overall I would recommend the Paperwhite to any avid readers out there.

Battery Life
      WIth a battery life of several weeks I am fully satisfied.

Book Choices/Variety
      Amazon's selection is almost limitless, but then again I read obscure books.

rubber covering scratches easily

Kindle paperwhite

Comments about Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

The paper white is really awesome. It has pretty amazing features. The only downside is the lack of color. It can make some of the pictures in the book look pretty bad. It's very durable and can hold up to children very well. The back light doesn't blind and can also adjust from very dim to very bright.

Battery Life
      I swear the battery would last forever if I didn't wireless on all the time. It can literally run about 6 weeks on one charge. I don't charge it often. The reason is when a page is displayed, the only thing really working is the light.

Book Choices/Variety
      Just about any book you can find on paper can be found on the kindle.

Readability
      It's very easy to read the books with next to no issues on page transfers.

It's very easy to find any option you're looking for, with many shortcuts. my two year old uses the kindle quite often.

It's very thin and light but very durable. My two year old is pretty rough with it.

She has thrown it across the room much to my horror and it didn't have a problem at all. You can purchase an additional cover for it that makes it nearly invincible.

SURPRISED!

from Wiscondin

Comments about Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

I am an avid reader and swore I would never have a Kindle. I like the feel of a book in my hands too much. So, needless to say, I wasn't very happy when last year's Christmas gift from my husband was a Kindle Paperwhite. I wouldn't even use it the first month of ownership. But then one of my daughters showed how to put it to use and now ... I can't live without it! Love that I can read in bed at night and not disturb my husband. That I can read in the car after dark. And that I have over 2,000 books on it just waiting to be read. Love it, love it, love it!!!

Battery Life
      Wish it would last a little longer -- but it does recharge quite fast.

Book Choices/Variety
      eReader.com gives you a daily list of free books from Amazon. You can get anything and everything.

Readability
      Love that you can change the lighting so you can read in bright sunlight or total darkness.

Still learning all of the little "extras" but it is easy to use.

Nice and slim so it fits in my purse for traveling.

No complaints on this issue. Have a "cover" for it that I keep it in at all times.