View more e readers

Amazon Kindle 2

Pros

Cons

I love my Kindle!

If a qualifying entry was a repetitive "I LOVE MY KINDLE", I would have repeated this over and over again!  But, since that is unacceptable, I will do my best to tell you how wonderful this product is without the repetition.

I didn't jump onto the eReader band wagon very quickly as I felt the only good book had a cover that I could hold and feel, pages I could turn and "dog ear" and the smell of new ink and paper to enjoy.  I was somewhat wrong in this thinking after my husband bought one for me to experience.  Have I said 'I LOVE MY KINDLE"?

I love the feel of the eReader, the size as it compares to a good book and weight of the product in it's cover.  I love the ease of use, the clarity of the screen, the availability of so many books that are FREE and the pure enjoyment of reading on the Kindle.  It's portable and fits in my purse so I always have a good book at hand where ever life takes me.  I can use the internet with it's WiFi connectivity like my Ipod Touch and I cannot be more pleased.

I would recommend this product to anyone that loves to read and has the preconception that good reading comes only from a physical book.  It will convert you.

One last thing, get the cover that has a light built in as the screen is not lite making night time reading difficult.  I acutally use a clip on light but would rather have the cover light.

Sandy

The Kindle is oK

The Kindle 2 has its pros and cons. I am not a user of the first generation of Kindle, but it seems like the Kindle 2 has several improvements. It is easy to hold and easy to get used to a new way of reading. What I love about the Kindle is that I can almost instantly find a book I am interested in and be reading it in minutes. I usually read the book section of the Post and any new books that seem interesting I find and preview to see if I am interested in buying them. This way I don't forget about all the titles I wanted to read and I have even saved myself from purchasing some bad best sellers! Which is another thing I love -- I can preview books before I buy. With most books this is several chapters so I either get really into it and buy right away or really bored and don't waste any money. Some of my favorite classics are free to download so I can reread a favorite without spending anything. Better than going to the library! Lots of freebies are available with a quick search. I have even randomly been able to access the web, but not the best way to view images!

I have several things that I consider as "Cons" - not all books I want to read are available, not all blogs are available or in an easy to read format and all of the kindle blogs require a low cost subscription. Lots of books are more expensive than some stores - the price might not be worth it if you don't want to read it immediately! The voice to text sounds like a robot and I can't stand listening to books with this - I imagined it to be more like an audio book (wrong!). There are usually several typos or mistakes but these are easily overlooked. There isn't a way to share purchased books with friends ( this is available on at least one other brand of e-reader)!

I received my Kindle as a gift and use it often. I don't think I would spend my own money on this because it is overpriced for what it does and how much more you have to spend. It is a great gift for a reader - might be able to find a better one with research, but it is not a complete disapointment. A cover for the kindle is also a must!

Great Reading Device.

from Woodville, OH

Comments about Amazon Kindle 2:

I got this Kindle when they first came out, and I loved it. It is so easy to use. I got a leather case to keep it well protected, and it is big, but not too big. I have recently given it to my Grandma because I got a newer model, and she had recently mentioned how much it hurts her wrists to hold some of the hardcover books she reads. She can check out books from the library (with my help because she does not do well with technology), and it is light enough for her to hold for long periods of time. The charge lasts for a couple of weeks, which is nice if you forget to charge it for a while. The only thing I wish this had is a light. Although the words look like they are on paper, it is pretty inconvenient that you cannot read this in the dark, especially since I stay up much later than my husband reading, and I do not want to keep the bedside lamp on because it is too bright. I ordered a booklight called the Kandle, which is specially made for Kindles, and that works great, but it would have been nice if it was included with my Kindle purchase. If you see one of these for sale, I would get it because I have had it for four years and it still looks and runs like it is brand new.

• Readability:

I don't want to upgrade to the Kindle Fire! The e-ink is great!

from Kalamazoo, MI

Comments about Amazon Kindle 2:

I have had my Kindle e-reader for 2 years now, and I use it everyday. I especially like traveling with the Kindle instead of lugging around a few paperbacks. The e-ink is easy on the eyes and I like the fact that it isn't back lit. It is so easy to order books online or right from the kindle.

Best Reader Ever!

Comments about Amazon Kindle 2:

I love my Kindle! It makes reading so much more enjoyable! I love that it is so light weight and that I do not have to manually flip pages like a book. I also love that I can load several books when I go out of town so that I have options for reading. I love that it holds a charge for so long!

• Readability:

good e-reader for all your basics, such as reading books

from Danvers, MA

Comments about Amazon Kindle 2:

good e-reader, light and easy to use. I don't find there is any eye fatigue when reading for a long time, just like reading a book, but lighter and has multiple books on it. the only downside for me is that I need a book light to read at night, but not a huge deal.

I love my Kindle

from Kennebunk, ME

Comments about Amazon Kindle 2:

I like to hold a paperbook but I love my Kindle also. I can get many free books when I want.

Last longer than I expected

Book Choices/Variety
Any book from the shelf plus

Readability
You can change the font size

Comes with paper instructions and also find on the Kindle also

Hold like a book

My 20 lbs cat has laid on it with no problems

would recommend to anyone

from Hudson, NY

Comments about Amazon Kindle 2:

read the manual if you are not familiar with the item. once you have done that it is great. i wouldnt recommend it for pictures unless they are black an white but its good for ebooks, it takes a while to figure out how to check your email. other then that i really like it.

Battery Life
if you dont keep the wifi on it will last for days

Book Choices/Variety
tons of books you can download

Readability
very clear an you can increase the font size to make it even more readable

very easy to use no problems

since it is sort of first generation its pretty good

very durable

• Readability:

I never go anywhere without my Kindle.

from Dupont, WA

Comments about Amazon Kindle 2:

I don't know how I lived without an e-reader before my first Kindle.

Readability
When my husband is reading his Kindle outdoors in the sunlight, the words appear faded on the screen. I have the same Kindle but do not experience this issue.

Sometimes I will accidentally hit the next page button on the right side just by holding the Kindle a certain way. It is definately better when you have a hard case for it.

A great, basic reader!

from Newberg, OR

Comments about Amazon Kindle 2:

I like my Kindle for times when I just want to read! It especially works great when I am outside. The screens are very flimsy however and mine broke within the first week of owning it. I was still within the 30 day warranty so I was able to get it replaced for free, however I would have been out of luck if that would have happened outside of that period. So I could not recommend this for children as it is too fragile. We have to pack it very carefully whenever I take it someplace because of that.

Battery Life
The battery dies way too fast with the wifi on.

Readability
I tried to use my Ipad outside and there was just no way that was going to work outside in the sunlight. My kindle works awesome out in the sun!

My first one the screen broke within the first week of owning it after dropping it one time on the carpet. Fortunately it was still under the 30 day warranty or I would have been out of luck.

• Readability:

very easy to download books .

from Jackson, NJ

Comments about Amazon Kindle 2:

just the right size and easy to download any type of book

Battery Life
With the wifi shut off the battery last quite a long time and is quick to get the battery started again

Book Choices/Variety
most of the choices are good and up to date,there are also many free classics available

Readability
The no glare-screen makes it easy to read in any light and you are able to enlarge the font to any size you like.

very simple to use,just press the side to go forward. When you turn off the kindle, the next time you turn it it on it goes to the last page you were reading

not to small and not to big. The weight is just right.

I have had it for a while and it is not fragile I would say it's quit durable

• Readability:

One of the best e-readers on the market today.

Comments about Amazon Kindle 2:

Extremely quick download of new magterial. Very easy to read in direct sunlight.

Readability
As I like to read on my porch, the ability to read the screen in direct sunlight is a major plus. My wife likes the idea of adjusting the font size so she can read without her glsses.