3.5

3.5

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:

Cell phone company with many options

Used this service before. Changed to another server for several years. I was not happy. My husband kept thinking the new server was great. I finally convinced him how much money we were saving by switching to Alltell. All of the extra features we were getting in the contract, only for two years. GREAT SERVICE!! No dropped calls!!!  Free  camera phones! No credit checks for us!!! Love my service. I do wish My service started at 7:00pm though, but for $5.00 a month you can get it. You also can get to call  10 family & friends for free. For us that included most of the people we needed to contact several times on a daily basis. So we never went over our contract minutes.Also you can pay your bill right on your phone.. Give them a call!!!!!

We live out in the country and Alltel has the best reception.

We had US Cellular to begin with but out where we live (in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees) our reception wasn't very good.  Alltel has a tower closer to our home, so we switched to them to get better reception.  We've been happy until my daughter bought a Smart Phone, which meant we had to upgrade to a Smart Plan, which costs more money and does the rest of us absolutely no good.  The kids at the local Alltel store don't seem to know what they're talking about.  We were told that with the Smart Plan, we would have free Internet to all of our phones (we have 3 regular phones and one Smart Phone).  But when I got the bill, there was a charge of $5.99 for the three regular phones.  Customer service told me that it is not free and she didn't know why we were told that.  The kids at the local store didn't really have an explanation.  But, even though they told us wrong, we cannot change our plan.  We've been frustrated with the plan situation and the staff at the local store, but reception is good.

Once was hot now not so much

from We have been a loyal alltel customer for

Comments about Alltel Wirless:

We have been a loyal alltel customer for over 10 years. It used to be the best service around. Now I am anxiously awaiting the switch to AT&T. Our service is spotty. Were always in 1G service and it takes forever to load. The choice of phones is always later versions while every other carrier has newer and better models.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

No service where I live.

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about Alltel Wirless:

To be fair we kind of lived in the middle of nowhere when I had Alltel Wireless, but the fact that when we called and ordered the phone the customer service representative guaranteed to us that it would work where we lived kind of made me super mad and very upset. We needed a cell phone so I called and had it all set up, the customer service agent kept repeating that it would for sure work and that they would cancel if it didnt without any termination charges so we gave it a try. After getting our phones and finding out they did not work at all, we called and they wanted to run all these tests, calling the phone and stuff to see if they worked. Even after all of that they tried to still charge us over $700 in early termination fees and wanted to argue after we had been told we would not be charged. We finally got it taken care of but their customer service really lacked and was a huge turn off. Other providers worked in that area so it shows they do not have the coverage area I was looking for anyways.

• Customer Service:

I had spotty coverage with this company.

Profile Image

from West Virginia

Comments about Alltel Wirless:

I was briefly with this company because the guy I was dating at the time had this provider. He offered to add me onto his phone plan so that we could talk more often since there was about a four hour difference between us at the time.

The plan was a bit expensive and he was paying around $180 a month for both of our smart phones. I was getting 1000 anytime minutes, unlimited texts, and a limited amount of data. I frequently got warnings that I was using too much data even though all I did on the phone was occasionally check Facebook and occasionally play Pandora.

The coverage with this phone was my major issue with the plan. I frequently had to move near the windows in my dormitory or go outside to get service. I also had to keep calling people back because this phone dropped a lot. I couldn't get it to keep a call for more than ten minutes at a time without having to call someone right back.

Call Quality
The calls were okay until they dropped but they dropped a lot. I would lose calls every ten or fifteen minutes I was on the phone.

Coverage
The coverage indoors was terrible no matter where I went with this phone. It dropped calls like crazy. I couldn't maintain important conversations and trying to use this for bill pay was a headache.

Plan Options
They had plenty of plans but all were quite expensive for what they covered.

Features
Some of the phones had nice features. Mine was more of a headache than it was really worth.

Customer Service
I never had to deal with customer service so I cant really say how effective they were.

• Customer Service:

Nickeling and diming for data

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Alltel Wirless:

I made a mistake getting Alltel Wirless. I didn't read the fine print and ended up wasting a couple of dollars on restocking fees. I signed up for the $45 unlimited plan. I was able to get a Galaxy S III for $280 off the internet in pristine condition. The only downside to this is that Alltel phones only work on Alltel. My first impressions of the service was positive. I had 4 bars around 20% of the time and a mixture of 2-3 bars for the remaining 80%. I had very good call quality and rarely dropped a call or received late text messages. I was streaming music for a couple of days and I went to my online account to change my user name and noticed that my bill was over a $100. I called customer support and was Informed that I was charged $2 for every megabyte downloaded. I didn't read that the unlimited plan didn't include data. I was offered a data plan as an add on for $30 to reduce my bill total, but I declined and cancelled my service before my grace period was over.

• Customer Service:

Not a company I was satisfied with.

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Alltel Wirless:

I think that Alltel Wireless could be a good company. They have a good selection of phones and the representative that helped me at the store helped me a lot when I was signing up for a plan. The phones were a little expensive, but better than some other companies. I was able to pick a relatively newer phone for a price that I could afford and I signed up for a plan that same day. My bill was higher than I expected the first month, so I called to question it. I was told that the price I was quoted was wrong and Alltel's phone representative refused to honor the price. I was very upset, needless to say. I decided to stay with them for awhile, but their call quality was terrible. I ended up leaving for another company. I would not recommend Alltel due to their shoddy business practices and the poor coverage. I was able to get a better plan with better coverage somewhere else.

• Customer Service:

SEE EMAIL BELOW FROM ALLTEL CS, CHECK AROUND FOR BETTER PLANS!

Comments about Alltel Wirless:

VERY EXPENSIVE! (My contract had expired) They refuse to unlock the phone I purchased from them, after realizing I was paying WAY TOO MUCH . SEE EMAILfrom alltel:
"Thank you for contacting Alltel Wireless. Alltel does not unlock devices. Alltel apologizes for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Alltel Customer Care"

"Alltel apologizes that you feel the devices are worthless. They are not. The devices may be used on the Alltel Wireless network. You may sale the devices to someone who has Alltel Wireless services.

Sincerely,
Alltel Customer Care"

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call Quality
Basically the same as other providers, we also use Net 10, SO MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE, and receive the same service and quality.

Plan Options
They offer the same plans that all the other carriers do, just more expensive and ALLTEL will sale you the phone but will NOT UNLOCK even after your contract is expired, BEWARE!

Features
CRAZY EXPENSIVE!!!!

Customer Service
AT LEAST THEY DID ANSWER MY EMAIL....

• Customer Service:

Good features, but not reliable service

Comments about Alltel Wirless:

Alltel provided overall good service, but dropped calls became a frequent problem in our area, causing us to switch companies.

Call Quality
The call quality is acceptable for Alltel. It does not seem any better or worse than other companies we have tried previously.

Coverage
Overall coverage was fairly good for our needs. We live in a very rural area, and Alltel used to have the best coverage near our home and work. However, we began having problems with dropped calls and such. It seemed like the coverage worsened, instead of improving over the course of a few years.

Plan Options
We prefer a basic plan, and Alltel offered something to suit our needs for a reasonable cost. We also liked the family circle idea, where you could have 10 or so frequently called numbers listed that were free calls.

Customer Service
The local customer service representatives were polite and seemed knowledgeable, but there was an unreasonable wait time whenever we went in the store. They were very slow to do anything for you.

Once was hot now not so much

Great Switch!

Comments about Alltel Wirless:

Recently switched over to Alltel Service and I think it's great! I plan on sticking with them. Phone is great as well as coverage, rate, and plans! Smartphone and all the features for under 100 a month..love it!

Call Quality
When I first got the phone I kept getting dropped calls but come to find out that is was not the service but a certain app that had been downloaded..so overall, call quilty is great

Plan Options
Great plans and deals, something for everyone and to fit their budget

good wireless provider

from Gillette, WY

Comments about Alltel Wirless:

I was very pleased with my service with Alltel.

Call Quality
This was the best wireless coverage we had after moving to the western part of the country. My husband and I would surely still be customers if AT&T had not acquired our contract.

Coverage
We had fantastic coverage with this service provider.

Plan Options
I can only speak on the voice plans,which were more than adequate for our needs.

Customer Service
I always had great customer service experiences with the phone representatives. They were always courteous and very helpful.