2.1

Pros

Cons

• Customer Service:
    • Vehicle Selection:

Alamo Car Rental has cheap prices, a good car fleet & service!

On two recent trips to Florida, we wanted to rent SUVs. My husband and I avoid the family minivans as often as we can! For us, small SUVs give us the room we need with 2 adults, 2 kids and lots of luggage!We went on to Travelocity and [Expedia][1] to compare prices of the various car rental companies. The basic cost for a small minivan was $450 per week in Naples Florida. Ouch! We then turned to Hotwire to see if we could get a bargain. (For those that know me, you know that I love to get nice things-- but I love to get a deal more!) [Hotwire][2] accepted my bid at $250 for a week long SUV. In both cases, we were assigned **Alamo Rental Car **for our car pick-up. ***Go Alamo-- thanks for being half price!!***When arriving in Naples, we were pleasantly surprised how closeby the Alamo Rental counter was to the baggage area. It was the first counter just across the street from our luggage pick up. The line was a little long, and a little slow, but the staff was very pleasant and very accomodating. In our case, [United Airlines][3] lost my sons car seat so we needed to rent a car seat last minute. Alamo was great about getting him all set up. Then, we were assigned our car-- an SUV. We were told we could go out to the lot and pick out any SUV we wanted. They had Saturns, Pontiacs, Chryslers, Toyotas, etc. All seemed reasonable options. The car attendant outside was super helpful. He knew all the cars and suggested the one that we should take--the Equinox.  We started loading our luggage into the car when he came zipping around the corner in a different car. He told us we had to switch to this other car because it was nicer, had a better stereo system and was newer. He proceeded to take all our bags out of our car and load us up! How nice!!!We were off and running with our Alamo Rental Car. At half the price, we definitely got full service and a decent car for our trip. Also, United found my sons car seat mid-way through our trip and Alamo let us return the car seat rental and get our money back for the days we didnt use it. Overall, I would recommend Alamo Rental Car.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Expedia-com-reviews

[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Hotwire-com-reviews

[3]: http://www.viewpoints.com/United-Airlines-reviews

I'm embarrassed to say this company ripped me off TWICE

I should have known better. They screwed me about 6 months ago by claiming a small parking lot ding was my fault and trying to bully me into paying for it. I've never had a car rental company come after me for a parking lot ding before, and I swore I'd never use the company again. But a few months later their price difference was so significant I couldn't pass it up, and I decided to give them another try.

This time I went through beforehand and pointed out every smudge, scratch and fleck of missing paint that I could find. When I returned the car, I had the attendant look the car over carefully, and she gave me a "everything is fine." But, alas, a few days later I received a letter, first thanking me for my business, then saying there was a problem. The letter did not specify the problem, but only asked me to send them my insurance information. I know, this definitely falls into the "Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me" category, but I have really, really, really learned my lesson this time.

Rent a car any way BUT BY Alamo 800 # :

from New york

Comments about Alamo:

I rented an Alamo car rental vehicle in late 2015 and was very pleased w/ all employees that my daughter & I encountered except the initial pick up of car. We were asked customary initial information & standaed questions but when asked if we wanted partial or full insurance coverage, we thought we needed it , so naturally the cheapest ( partial) we chose. But found out later that day that we didnt need any insurance & the representative never stated thst. So we charged another approx $200 for the rental.
The 6 days we had the car was fine.. No issues We rented another car a week later for a day and again all went fine n offered ins again and we lol and gladly said NO! We went under our iwn vehicke insurance.

Just over 6 months later:
I alone rented from Alamo the last minute after arriving in Denver, Colorado late at night. All went smoothly and after the initial 3 day rental, I needed to extend my lease for another 5 days ( this time one way) . So I called the 800 # n sooke to a pleasant woman who said I'll save $220 by returning vehicle and renting anothe at same time. So I drive to airport where the rental lot was and returned car immaculately clean inside n out and went inside with my two new passengers ( my adult daughter & friend) and Processed car out and continued to rent another car for my 5 day one way journey. Hmm here's where trouble and inconvenience et al started. I WAS NOT given a confirmation number from 800 rep so I coukdnt rent a car though my bank account said the $897.-- fee was pending . Grr! I couldn't het originsl vehicle back tho I returned it 5 hours early because it was processed out of the computer and my account was too low with the pending fee to rent another vehicle.
Omg! We're stuck at noisy airport! So I spoke to Alamo manager and he coukdnt do anything but he was patient unlike my behavioral challenged , hungry passengers. So I called my family and we had ( to be cont'd next on next review?) ....

Avoid death traps

from Edmonton, AB

Comments about Alamo:

Lip service is no service. I will be writing more reviews concerning Alamo, but I have to start somewhere. In March we rented a Nissan Altima from Alamo. When the trunk was unlatched it swung open and took out the back window, covering both of my children, whom were in the back seat, in broken glass. It is a mircale that neither of them got any in their eyes. When I called them I got all kinds of lip service and concern, but when push comes to shove they have not done anything tangible to show that they are sorry for A) renting us a defective car that could have blinded my child and B) keeping a car on their fleet that has a poorly designed trunk (when opened fully the tip of the trunk is less than an inch from the back glass). I have paid your replacement cost. I hope that having me pay the $300 replacement is worth how I am going to share this experience with others in hopes that they will reconsider doing business with you. I am sincerely disappointed that all you care about is money and you could not show that you are sorry by taking action to make this right.

I would recommend Alamo Car Service to anyone

from Monroe michigan

Comments about Alamo:

The service I received at the Alamo in Houston Lakesha was friendly and exceptional. Upon my returning of the car they were just as polite and courteous as the time I rented the car. I would recommend Alamo to anyone looking to rent a car

Had an excellent experience!

from Houston, TX

Comments about Alamo:

My husband and I took a trip to Maine and rented a from Alamo at the Manchester, MA, airport. We were very pleased with the service, no hidden fees, car was in great condition (actually a brand new car), and the return was well organized. We would recommend this company especially at the Manchester airport. At least we had a positive experience there. Thank you for making our trip enjoyable.

Terrible experience

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Alamo:

We rented a car in Puerto Vallarta through Expedia and included insurance on the car for a week. When we got the agency to pick up the car, they made us buy more insurance for the car and put down a deposit of $600 plus a credit card. The service was slow and confusing with all these extra payments. When we returned the car they said that there was a dent in one of the fenders (a very small dent) which lead us to paying even more for the repair, even though that we paid for two insurance rates on the car. I do not recommend this company to anyone; the service is terrible.

High Pressure Sales and Terrible Service

from Kansas City MO

Comments about Alamo:

About two months before I arrived in Portland, OR,I had reserved a car from Alamo at the Portland OR airport. When I went to pick up the vehicle, the woman behind the counter really pushed their added charges, including their insurance, adding a driver, and a couple of other extra charges. After I said I didn't want any of them, she continued to push their insurance, which would have been a significant charge over the week's period I would be using the vehicle. She particularly mentioned any little dings to the car. After I said I didn't want the insurance, she said a ding had to be the size of a golf ball before Alamo did anything about it. The car they gave me had about 35,000 miles on it, which seemed rather high for a rental car. When I turned it in, the employee told us they would be sending that vehicle to be sold.

When you sign the contract, you agree to the terms in a separate folder. I read that, but, when I asked about whether a certain portion applied to Oregon or only to California, no one could answer that question.

Checking out through the gate and checking back in went smoothly. My main objection was the treatment by the woman trying to sell the extras for additional charges. She was surly, unprofessional, dishonest, and rude.

The vehicle itself, a Nissan Altima, was fine and I had no problems with it, or with any dings.

Stay far away and pay the extra little to another car rental

from Cherokee Iowa

Comments about Alamo:

This rental started in Lexington Park Maryland to Charlotte NC airport. The car did not have full tank of gas and they did no inspection and are now trying to claim damage charge to me for ding that was already there.

Customer service

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Alamo:

I rented a car for my vacation (to Arkansas) from Alamo at Memphis Int'l Airport. First, they didn't have my vehicle. Secondly, they didn't have one available in my class. I had to settle with what they had. On the day of my departure, I woke up to a flat tire. I called Alamo, they wanted to charge me for "my inconvenience." Alamo sucks, and I will never use them again!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Horrible Customer Service & Long Waits on Hold - poor englsh

from 800 Number

Comments about Alamo:

Spent over an hour trying to rent a car and charge it to a company credit card for an employee who didn't have a credit card. Transferred endlessly, wrong information, Indian Call Center whose employees spoke semi-intellligable English.

hidden charges

from nappanee in

Comments about Alamo:

we paid for our car prior to renting and the total amount of taxes surcharches and fees were just a few dollars less than the whole rental! we flew in at 1 am. and didn't know if our insurance covers rental, so we got it to find out it does cover rental but they wouldn't do anything about it.