Other Acne & Blemish Treatments:

Equate Astringent

Pros

Cons

It's

Its over all great. Again, Im a teen with Cystic Acne, I'm desperate at this point, I have tried everything except this and X-OUT. I wanted to try this first, so far Im really glad I did this before spending a lot on x-out.

So far I have been using it. They do look better already. Which Im a teenager, Im 16, acne is a jerk to me, and it does help if you use the right amount, correctly directed.

Ease of Application
It's super easy, and it takes only seconds of your day, not even 60 seconds. Love the ease.
Take a cotton ball, put some on cotton ball rub lightly on your blemishes, go on with your day. :)

Convenience
Unless you cary cotton balls with you, or your friend or family member has them, you might not carry it around.

Side Effects
The side effects, at least with me, isn't that bad, compared to what the others have said. The burning thats really bad, its usually saying hey you're using way to much. I have had a tiny bit, but never enough to water my eyes. I get kit nears of my eyes. But you might get that tight skin feel.

Immediacy
Depending on what kind of acne status you have. I'm cystic acne probed. Im on my 3rd day of using it, It's a lot better. Use it correctly.

It sort of works

With this product, you pretty much have to choose on what type of skin you want to have, you have to choose between either having a couple of blemishes here or there, or if you would rather have dry skin and have it burn when you use the product.

This product is very effective at removing blemishes, but it's also really great at drying out your skin, but if all you care about is getting rid of those bumps then it's a great product for you.

Ease of Application
Very easy to apply, just add to a cotton ball, or to a cotton makeup applicator and apply it to your skin.

Convenience
This isn't a convenience product, you couldn't really easily apply this product anywhere but at your home, unless you want to make a mess or have your face smelling like rubbing alcohol for the rest of the day.

Side Effects
This product really burns when you put it on, it gives your skin that really tight feeling, but not at all in a good way, and forget cleaning with it anywhere near your eyes, not even on the top of your cheeks and over your eyebrows, because if it comes near those areas, it even burns your eyes (I guess from the fumes) and your eyes will water like crazy, and yes, I applied it correctly the way the bottle instructs you to. The final side effect I noticed was that this product leaves your skin looking and feeling very dry as well.

Immediacy
It gets rid of your blemishes fairly quickly and that's a good thing.

It's

The best astringent I think I have used

Comments about Equate Astringent:

I have used many different types of astringents. Most of them burn my face or irritate my eyes just because of the scent, even if they claim they are for sensitive skin. This one, however, does not have the same effect on me. Equate brand is usually much more affordable than NAME brand astringents, which is definitely the case with this one, however, I like it better overall. The skin on my face respond well to this one. I liked using it daily in my teen years after I clean my face to pick up the left over oils.

I feel like this astringent helped pull unnecessary oils off of my face.

Ease of Application
As with most astringent , the best way to apply it is to buy cotton applicators to use on your face. I don't like to buy one product to use another product.

Convenience
The price is very convenient and since I do all my shopping at walmart it is conveniently located there .

Side Effects
The side effects with this astringent aren't as bad as with others I have used.

Astringent Lover!

Comments about Equate Astringent:

I have been using Astringent since my teen years (10+ years). I originally purchased name brand products only. However, seeing the price difference, I tried the Equate brand of astringent. I have a very oily face and because of this I use the astringent as a makeup remover. This does not clog my pores like some moisturizing makeup removers and wipes.

Ease of Application
Astringent is so easy to use. Apply to a cotton ball, swab or towel and apply to your face. No complicated steps to this easy face cleanser!

Convenience
This Equate Astringent is somewhat convenient except for travel. I have had the top to leak some. I wish there was an easy way to use this product on the go.

Side Effects
I have had no side effects from Equate brand astringent. Typically I suffer from very sensitive skin, that is why I love this product so much, it does not break me out at all.

Immediacy
My face feels clean, shiny and fresh after using Equate astringent. I use this right before bed.

I like this product!

Comments about Equate Astringent:

After you wash your face throughly with a scrub or some other kind of face wash even if it is just soap and water, after you do all that you squirt the Equate Astringent on a cotton ball or even onto a nice soft cloth is you don't have cotton balls and rub it into your face to get rid of any extra oil, dead skin, I mean you'll be surprised how dark and brown the cotton ball will look once your done wiping your face with it! But don't worry if use this product every day your skin will look more radiant and smoother and those cotton balls will come back looking cleaner and cleaner so you know that it is working!

Ease of Application
It is really easy to apply to your face, open the cap squirt a little on to a cotton ball and rub your face with it and throw it away, sometimes I do it twice if I feel like I didn't wipe my face good enough the last time.

Convenience
Very convenient because it is very easy to apple and you do it right after you wash your face!

works great

Comments about Equate Astringent:

I love this product. It is my favorite astringent that I have tried. I couldn't believe how well it worked especially considering how cheap it is. It makes my skin feel so fresh after using it, and works great to get rid of the pimples I have while keeping away the ones I don't. I find this astringent to be very gentle on my skin and doesn't sting like other ones I've tried.
It is very easy to use, I just apply some to a cotton ball and then swirl it all around my face. It doesn't have the most pleasant smell, it smells of the alcohol in the product but that goes away after a while and once you put on a moisturizer you don't smell it anymore anyways, so it's not a deal breaker for me.
I feel the effects of this product the moment I put it on my skin, so I know it's working right away. I have not noticed any negative side effects to my skin, it just does what it says it's supposed to do. I am so glad I tried this astringent, it's by far my favorite.

Feels great after use

Comments about Equate Astringent:

I really recommend using astringent for daily face cleansing because it does a great job of removing oils from your face. I use this product after cleaning my face with a face soap. Once my face is dry, I pour some astringent onto a wad of toilet paper (a cotton round would be better) and gently wipe it on my face. My face instantly feels cleansed and invigorated. The astringent also sometimes removes more makeup that was left behind after the face soap. I find that this helps my acne by deeply cleaning my skin. My face feels really clean after I use this. I follow up with moisturizer for a complete facial cleansing. I feel a difference in my face when I forget to use astringent.

Effective at cleansing and makes your face feel very clean and fresh.

Ease of Application
Easy to pour directly onto a wad of toilet paper or cotton round.

Immediacy
Your face feels cleansed and fresh right after application.

Feel the burn!!!

from Ohio

Comments about Equate Astringent:

I've always had some pretty awful acne breakouts around the corners and sides of my nose. A few months back at Wal-Mart I noticed they had the "Equate brand" facial Astringent on sale. I decided to give it a try. I'd say overall for the price I'm pretty satisfied with it. It doesn't smell the greatest but the tingling and burning feeling lets you know it's working.

It dries out oily pores that are the cause for acne. As for blackheads (my main problem) it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Ease of Application
Very easy to use. You can apply with a Q tip, cotton ball, wash cloth. Just about anything and it is super easy to apply.

Convenience
Very convenient. You can take it on the go with you, the cap seems to be pretty secure because I take it all over, it has never opened up on me.

Side Effects
The only major side effects I noticed was the burning feeling it left around my nose and the dryness. As long as you use a moisturizer, it really isn't that bad.

Immediacy
Results do take a little bit of time. As long as you use it everyday, you should see results within three or four days.

• Immediacy:

Convenient, but not a magic bullet

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about Equate Astringent:

I like the feel of traditional face washes in the shower, but I love the convenience of astringents for a non-messy face cleansing option. You can pour a little on a regular cotton ball, but I preferred to purchase those flat round cotton pads because they seemed to cover more area and shed less fibers during use. Equate astringent is fairly equal to other astringents I've tried, though its smell is particularly chemical and pungent. The active ingredients made my face tingle and feel clean after use.

The astringent works well to remove makeup and dirt and oils on the skin, and the acidic ingredient can help prevent acne. It helped for my minor breakouts, but not for deep cystic acne that I developed when I was older.

Convenience
I love the convenience of astringents.

Side Effects
The salicylic acid in this astringent caused my skin to dry and flake. Also, it caused bleach spots on my towels if I forgot and wiped my face.

• Immediacy:

Finally! A cheap astringent that works like the name brand!

from lakeland, florida

Comments about Equate Astringent:

This is one generic product that I keep in my bathroom cabinet with the rest of my facial remedies. The Equate astringent works just as well as any name brand product and it costs way less. I would definitely recommend it over any name brand on the market today. I use it to remove my make up and it always removes it completely. I just put some of this liquid on a cotton ball and swipe it across my face before I wash with facial cleanser. It works wonderfully as a make up remover before I actually wash my face. This product does dry my face a little, but if used in conjunction with facial moisturizer and cleanser, this side effect is one that does not have to be worried about. Sometimes, Equate generic products can be hit or miss, but this one is most definitely a hit! I would recommend it for use to remove your make up or if you are looking for something cheaper than all expensive name brand astringents on the shelf.

Leaves Face Clean, But Smell Is Off-Putting

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Equate Astringent:

This astringent works well to clean the face of any grime or oil. There is a slight tingling feeling on the skin when applied, but that feels fine to me. This cleanser has a strong, unpleasant smell. I think they intend the scent to smell like the ocean, but there is a strong alcohol scent that is unpleasant when being applied and the scent lingers on your skin for a bit after use.

If you are careful to wipe your entire face and neck, this is an effective cleanser.

Ease of Application
To apply you moisten a cotton ball with this astringent. That doesn't work well for me because the cotton ball sort of disintegrates on my face, so instead I use these small round pads.

Side Effects
Especially in the winter, this astringent tends to dry out my skin. For that reason, I often apply moisturizer right after I use this. That also helps to cover up the off-putting smell.

Immediacy
You can tell right away that you've removed the grime from your face--just take a look at the cotton ball or pad you used.